 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

Did you finally get it working?

Pretty much. I edited the Info.plist in System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

Added these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.7.5</string>

Because the system will disable the mouse and keyboard after coming from sleep.

Use Kext Helper or terminal. You have to have IOUSBFamily.kext in System/Leopard/Extensions. It works only 1 time for you because it is not loading the kext after coming from sleep the first time.

then it must already be loading because using it in E/E

my mouse would still work

I'll try anyway in S/L/E

-----

FROM SLE IT WORKED, so it wasn't loading from E/E

I'll try changing the version to make it work from E/E

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

------

can you elaborate on the OSBundleCompatibleVersion line you added

I'd like to understand

GOT A BETTER WAY

no SLE changes at all

using Sleepenabler and DSDT fix (same fix used on my workstation)

no more usbehci kext mod

so we still have vanilla system and 99% update proof

that's worth a new Pack update :)

-------------------

Pack is now updated with working SLEEP, using dsdt and sleepenablerr.kext

should work on any K45/k48 and any bios version

wake on lan from sleep works great for those interested

I also added the how to DSDT fix at the end of the first post if you want to do it manually...

AS OF TODAY, WE OFFICALLY HAVE ONE OF THE BEST HACKINTOSH EVER, LOL

ABSOLUTLY, and I MEAN ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING WORKS, every little thing is working

(unless you find something wrong :D )

IDE

SATA

SLEEP

GIGABIT ETHERNET

BONJOUR

SPEEDSTEP

WAKE ON LAN

and 99% update proof, because it's 100% vanilla

Chameleon WORKS GREAT FROM EFI PARTITION

and freaking easy to install

whoever tells me 64bit doesn't work just read my previous "long" post about it, in a few words, you will have no speed increase because K45/K48 is limited to 4GB anyway, but I'm not saying that 64bit app won't be faster, they are faster, but they already run faster in 32bit anyway... and real mac run in 32bit kernel too

in the system pref / energy saver , even schedule wake from full shutdown works....

Great job!

This is by far the easiest installation I have ever made. I don't believe there is other guide simpler than this one out there. Good to know everything has been tested and most likely we will end up with a 99.9% vanilla install.

You've done a lot. Like the idea of loading it from the DSDT better :)

I believe my next & last step is to run soft-RAID0 in the K45 I wanna see how it performs with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM in a RAID0 disk array

This little box is powerful enough.

Great job!

This is by far the easiest installation I have ever made. I don't believe there is other guide simpler than this one out there. Good to know everything has been tested and most likely we will end up with a 99.9% vanilla install.

You've done a lot. Like the idea of loading it from the DSDT better :(

I believe my next & last step is to run soft-RAID0 in the K45 I wanna see how it performs with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM in a RAID0 disk array

This little box is powerful enough.

good luck

it's not very hard, raid itself can be done without much explanation apple made it so simple with the disk utility (I use raid0 on my workstation for my timemachine disk on two 160GB)

the hardest part is where and how to setup chameleon, because the bios can't read the a split boot file, but there are nice tutorials for that ... one trick is that a tiny standalone partition exist on at least one of the disk that your bios can access and read the boot file... and from there it's just automatic magic with chameleon RC2 once booted, does the rest of the job to boot OSX :-)

I did raid0 by fooling around once very temporarily on snow leo drive on my workstation... 110MB/s read/write....

I have done soft-RAID for data storage many times. Though, I have never configured RAID0 in my hackintosh as my main OS drive. I'll have to research. I know for a fact I need 2 drives, set them as RAID0 and clone my OS drive into the RAID array. From there I have to actually google to see how it is done. I have no idea, specially because I know that there will be 1 small extra partition in my RAIDed disks. Getting that to boot properly takes some research first.

Thanks to Eliade and Yoni Yoni - now sleep and everything else is running perfectly on my K48 (ok, except Bootcamp, I think ...)! Yes, we have a fantastic box now; I would NOT change this for a Mac mini (laptop technology - not ideal for whole-day work) or an iMac (glossy "mirror" display - absolutely inacceptable)! If Apple had a better product conception in theit budget and midrange lines (and other prices with their Pro macs), I think hackintosh would not be such a topic.

By the way - do you have 2 or 4 GByte of RAM working? I've heard in former forums, that our chipset would only support 3 GByte RAM within Mac OS even if 4 GByte is installed, but don't know if this is still valid with SL ... If not, of course it now would make sense upgrading to 4 Gigs.

By the way - do you have 2 or 4 GByte of RAM working? I've heard in former forums, that our chipset would only support 3 GByte RAM within Mac OS even if 4 GByte is installed, but don't know if this is still valid with SL ... If not, of course it now would make sense upgrading to 4 Gigs.

3.3GB is the max usable RAM.

ok, except Bootcamp, I think ...

LOL :P

You understand what book camp is?

it's basically chameleon in reverse

chameleon emulate EFI using a real bios, then OSX runs natively

whereas bootcamp is emulating BIOS from real efi, then windows run natively, and bookcamp is also an easy to use installer and a package of driver for windows, designed with only apple products in mind.... so of course it won't work a hackintosh like we have ... ;)

I didn't know OSX only saw 3.3GB with the shuttle...

Hi,

I cannot manage to make the install work on my k45.

I just followed exactly the procedure but the installation process when graphics part comes up only shows a grey screen!

The k45 is not freezed because I can see the usb stick led blinking when I use keyboard ... but nothing on the screen.

Please can somebody help me ?

Thanks a lot,

Greg

It's not because of OS X but a K45 chipset limitation. I have thrown 3-4GB RAM at it in all my builds.

Hi,

I cannot manage to make the install work on my k45.

I just followed exactly the procedure but the installation process when graphics part comes up only shows a grey screen!

The k45 is not freezed because I can see the usb stick led blinking when I use keyboard ... but nothing on the screen.

Please can somebody help me ?

Thanks a lot,

Greg

Hey Greg,

Cache? Permissions issue?

Boot with -x32 -v -f -x and see if you can get to the desktop this time. Make sure you repair permissions with Disk Utility and the /Extra/Extensions/ cache with Kext Utility

If that doesn't work (meaning you couldn't get to the desktop with the previous steps) try the following:

Boot into single mode

-x32 -s

Type the following commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot

Hope this help

Hi,

In fact, I cannot Install OS X .... the grey screen is during installation process !

Will try anyway to repair perms on the usb stick ...

It's not because of OS X but a K45 chipset limitation. I have thrown 3-4GB RAM at it in all my builds.

Hey Greg,

Cache? Permissions issue?

Boot with -x32 -v -f -x and see if you can get to the desktop this time. Make sure you repair permissions with Disk Utility and the /Extra/Extensions/ cache with Kext Utility

If that doesn't work (meaning you couldn't get to the desktop with the previous steps) try the following:

Boot into single mode

-x32 -s

Type the following commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot

Hope this help

Reparing perms on kext + generating the cache does not change anything.

Nobody had to face the same grey screen issue during install ?

Hi,

In fact, I cannot Install OS X .... the grey screen is during installation process !

Will try anyway to repair perms on the usb stick ...

on the lastest pack I removed -v from boot.plist, to boot graphical

so you have to add it manually if you have a problem and copy the last few lines where it stalls

try unplugin the powersupply for 20seconds and startup again

I've had weird issues lately where I had to shut down the power supply in order to boot successfully, I still don't know the reason, but it only happened to me when I was fooling around with sleep (when sleep failed,before we fixed it...), but something else is maybe causing that similar problem on your setup..., so maybe that will fix it...

if not just post those last few line when it stops booting... or take a picture of your screen

Great guide Eliade.

I am struggling with an issue that has plagued me for days. My 10.6 install is completely functional.. as long as I do not use AppleIntelGMA950.kext.

If I boot without that file, I can boot into SL no problem, with full resolution, no CI/QE. If I boot WITH that file (the default install from SL), the machine reboots instantly upon attempting loginwindow. I can boot with -x of course.

I have tried a pile of GMA and Framebuffer combos, and the closest I come is what I have now, (not sure where I got this pair of GMA/Framebuffer), but it boots to loginwindow blue screen, then flashes various shades of blue as it tries to draw the login window (doesnt instantly reboot however).

I have done permissions/cache rebuild after every change. Im using the GMA & Framebuffer in S/L/E.

I have tried com.apple.Boot.plist both with, and without GraphicsEnabler enablered.

I am using your DSDT and files from the K45 pack you posted. This is driving me completely mad!

Any ideas are welcome, i'm at a loss t this point. I've got about 5 SL machines running up till now, but this one is killing me lol.

Cheers!

you have to remove any mods you did to S/L/E and E/E related to video

or just reinstall OSX again only using the stuff fom the pack

the DSDT is made to work with default apple kext in S/L/E and no video related kext in E/E

if you mod/replace them the dsdt fix for video is useless....

good luck, should be a relatively easy fix as long as you have backed up original kext

after any mode to S/L/E don't forget to repair permission with disk utility then run kext utility

if you can't fix it, reinstall OSX, I'm sure you'll have better luck, just only use stuff from my pack nothing else...

Thanks Eliade. The reason I began modding video kexts in the first place, was because the video was causing instant reboot at loginwindow with the default kexts.

This was a clean default SL install.

I'll keep plugging away at it I guess :-) Hopefully there isn't an issue with the MB.

Cheers!

Thanks Eliade. The reason I began modding video kexts in the first place, was because the video was causing instant reboot at loginwindow with the default kexts.

This was a clean default SL install.

I'll keep plugging away at it I guess :-) Hopefully there isn't an issue with the MB.

Cheers!

strange, are you using the final retail OSX ?

then maybe make you own DSDT

actually you can use the video part of your dsdt , mod it following the instruction and paste and replace that section it into the one from the pack, I don't think it will do a difference, since everyone seems to be fine with the DSDT from the pack, but you can consider this a last resort...

Yessir. I bought the retail OSX install. I have just made my own DSDT with the appropriate mods (no problems/errors/warnings). It reboots as soon as loginwindow tries to appear. One odd thing I did see, was a warning during startup about dependencies with AppleIntelGMA950.kext methods. Perhaps I have gremlins.

I believe Eliade guided you in the right direction.

This is something else you wanna try. Reset the Bios configuration by removing the coin battery in the shuttle. Put the battery back and jumper up the shuttle to clear CMOS once again. Get into the CMOS Setup and configure it again: http://yoni.homeserver.com/k45/Photos.html (If you are using a Sata Hard Drive make sure to disable IDE in the Bios at least for installation proposes. Also make sure the Bios is properly configure after a reboot (just in case)

Re-install without modifying any kext at all (follow Eliade's the guide and don't replace any kext in S/L/E).

I installed SL from my Macbook using an external Sata to USB adapter. This is how I do it: (it might work for you)

1- Format the destination drive using GUID partition sheme and name the Volume "Snow"

2- Open Terminal and type:

sudo -s

chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

3- Mount the SL dmg image or use your SL install DVD

4- Go to Finder > Go > Go to Folder... "Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages"

5- Double Click OSInstall.mpkg to start SL installation. Select the target drive (Snow) and install. Don't reboot you are not done yet.

6- Install the Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg and Chameleon 2-1.0-r640.pkg to the Snow Drive. (Both packages will tell you they failed. Ignore it)

7- Replace the "boot" file in Snow / wih the one you will download from Eliade's guide.

8- Copy the "Extra" folder you downloaded from here to Snow / as well. (Make sure you also add the DSDT in the Extra folder)

9- Use Kext Utility to repair permissions and refresh the extensions cache in Snow/Extra/Extensions (dragging the extensions folder into kext utility)

10- Put the Snow Drive back in your Shuttle bootleg and boot with -x32 -v -f

Once at the Desktop you may want to fix permissions (Disk Utility) just to be safe. You should have 100% functional system by now.

Good luck

Yessir. I bought the retail OSX install. I have just made my own DSDT with the appropriate mods (no problems/errors/warnings). It reboots as soon as loginwindow tries to appear. One odd thing I did see, was a warning during startup about dependencies with AppleIntelGMA950.kext methods. Perhaps I have gremlins.

are you on 10.6.1?

if not update

then if you still have the problem after the update

try my original 10.6.1 kext, in case yours are partially corrupted or modified, put them in SLE ,

Archive.zip

replace your old one

repair permission with disk utility

and run kext utility

if still doesn;t work after what Yoni Yoni told you to do and did what I told you here

then I really would consider a reinstall, and try to fix it from a fresh install

Well now, thanks for all the help. I have completely reinstalled, and followed Yoni Yoni exactly (guessed at BIOS settings as his link was broken).

Booted into SL via -s and moved the AppleIntelGMA950.kext to the desktop so I could get booted.

I then rebooted no problem, and updated to 10.6.1.

This time, I was able to boot to SL, and log in. I immediately selected "About this MAc" and was greeted with the correct info (and rotate supported, which indicated CI/QE).

10 seconds later fwap.. reboot.

I am seriously considering the possibility there is something wrong with the box.

Thanks again guys for the help, I am quite certain I am configured in the same manner as you.

Well now, thanks for all the help. I have completely reinstalled, and followed Yoni Yoni exactly (guessed at BIOS settings as his link was broken).

Booted into SL via -s and moved the AppleIntelGMA950.kext to the desktop so I could get booted.

This time, I was able to boot to SL, and log in. I immediately selected "About this MAc" and was greeted with the correct info (and rotate supported, which indicated CI/QE).

I am seriously considering the possibility there is something wrong with the box.

Thanks again guys for the help, I am quite certain I am configured in the same manner as you.

How about Leopard, did you have any problem?

It was running Leopard just fine for months. I decided to upgrade it when it came back with some driver issues and such (they installed frostwire, and a bunch of other {censored}, and I suspect they accidentally deleted some important files).

Im going to have to try and get Leopard on it tomorrow. Good times...

Sorry about the link issue. My ISP is running a scheduled maintenance at the moment so my server is offline.

About the issue with your K45:

I believe the problem is not the installation but the hardware itself...

1- Make sure the k45 has proper ventilation. If it is overheating it will most likely give you that kind of problem. (Run it without the cover and check if it doesn't abruptly shutdown.

2- I've seen this behavior in K45 with a bad PSU. For some reasons it will just shutdown and light up again. Very annoying.

3- Bios Upgrade.

What a coincidence! I went to CompUSA this weekend and bought the last 2 K45 they had. They were both doing the same thing (shutdown and reboot for no reasons, apparently) I ended up returning them to the store because they were faulty.

The PSU of one of them made a weird pitch sound after every abrupt shutdown.

They were both Running the old Bios version. (The one with the Shuttle logo)

Again check temps and make sure it is not overheating.

Good luck

Any of you interested in a Remote Sleep/Wake mini App I just compiled together from scripts found on the net

In my case it's useful because the shuttle is not my main machine, but my printer is connected to it

the app will wake or sleep the shuttle by simply double clicking the icon that I now have it in my workstation dock

all you have to do are easy little changes to the script: mac address, ip, user name and password (shuttle must be static and user password without spaces)

you can of course duplicate the app for as many computer your may have

so if interested let me know and I'll post it