[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Thanks DD,

I installed 10.6 on my external hard drive and everything worked flawlessly except for the icons not showing up on the desktop. I saw there was a solution to the problem so I will look at that later. I only have one issue.

Even though I typed arch=i386 after the initial single user mode and building the boot cache, my system still boots with the 64 bit kernel. Is this because I installed from leopard or do I have to enter arch=i386 every single time I want to boot into Leopard.

Dont get me wrong, the first time it booted with the 32 bit kernel but every other boot after that uses the 64 bit kernel.

Thanks again

Thanks DD,

I installed 10.6 on my external hard drive and everything worked flawlessly except for the icons not showing up on the desktop. I saw there was a solution to the problem so I will look at that later. I only have one issue.

Even though I typed arch=i386 after the initial single user mode and building the boot cache, my system still boots with the 64 bit kernel. Is this because I installed from leopard or do I have to enter arch=i386 every single time I want to boot into Leopard.

Dont get me wrong, the first time it booted with the 32 bit kernel but every other boot after that uses the 64 bit kernel.

Thanks again

Go to Finder--> Preferences--> General

Click the box for Hard Disks, External Disks, CDs etc :)

All my KP probems were solved after I put all the kexts (expect IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext) in the Systems folder.

I tried many configurations and my experience is that putting the Kexts in the Extra folder makes more problems than it does any good.

So, try putting all kexts in the System folder and try again.

I had regular KP after sleeping, which I could reproduce (KP when I plugged in any USB device after sleep). Putting the kext in the System folder solved all my troubles.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OK, I reinstalled from scratch (since I couldn't solve my boot problem in previous install) and now all kexts except IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and EVOenabler.kext is in /System but I still get a Kernel Panic when waking from sleep. Should I put EVOenabler.kext in /System too or what? Will that help?

I also have a few small issues in Mac OS X 10.6.1 itself and that is it stubbornly turn back on the ”Show date and time in menu bar” each time I log in. I want it to be off since I use iStat Menus instead.

I'm having problems with the keyboard shortcuts for ”Back” and ” Forward”. I use Swedish keyboard layout but English for the OS. This works fine on my MacBook Pro, so I don't know what's up...

Also I once ”got stuck” at blue screen when doing a log out to log in to a test account. Don't know of that was due to Mac OS X or something with the ”hacking”.

Sigh.... I wish things could work as well as it did in Mac OS X 10.5.7 for me. There sleep and everything worked just fine.

OK, I reinstalled from scratch (since I couldn't solve my boot problem in previous install) and now all kexts except IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and EVOenabler.kext is in /System but I still get a Kernel Panic when waking from sleep. Should I put EVOenabler.kext in /System too or what? Will that help?

Which makes me want to ask, what's the official reasoning for not wanting to put everything in /System instead of /Extra? Are there performance benefits to having kexts in /Extra or is it mainly to keep things 'Vanilla' for the sake of conceptual purposes?

I mean, the whole idea is that it's a Hackintosh, it's never going to be 100% pure.

I also have a few small issues in Mac OS X 10.6.1 itself and that is it stubbornly turn back on the ”Show date and time in menu bar” each time I log in. I want it to be off since I use iStat Menus instead.

Sounds like something is up with the Preferences. Are you closing System Preferences after you make the changes? I've seen issues with my Wacom tablet that are similar. It requires that the Sys.Pref. be closed after making changes. I've also seen things fail to be remembered when there are issues at shutdown or restart. Any hang-ups then?

Thanks for replying nateB! :P

Which makes me want to ask, what's the official reasoning for not wanting to put everything in /System instead of /Extra? Are there performance benefits to having kexts in /Extra or is it mainly to keep things 'Vanilla' for the sake of conceptual purposes?

I mean, the whole idea is that it's a Hackintosh, it's never going to be 100% pure.

If you look in my post above I quoted Mike Ranger:

”All my KP probems were solved after I put all the kexts (expect IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext) in the Systems folder.

I tried many configurations and my experience is that putting the Kexts in the Extra folder makes more problems than it does any good.”

That's why I tried moving all kexts to /System.

Didn't seem to do much difference for me, though... :)

Sounds like something is up with the Preferences. Are you closing System Preferences after you make the changes? I've seen issues with my Wacom tablet that are similar. It requires that the Sys.Pref. be closed after making changes. I've also seen things fail to be remembered when there are issues at shutdown or restart. Any hang-ups then?

Yeah, I'm closing it after doing the change (even if one shouldn't have to) and I don't think there's been anything special about restart/shut down. Maybe it's some preference file that's gone corrupt or something. I wonder which one. I've tried creating a new user, but it's the same thing there.

Hey everdone, thanks so much for your help. I am currently posting this from my SL Hackintosh!

Now that I have SL working everything is running great inculding sleep and ethernet. I havent tried bonjour or time machine, but i didnt use those in leopard so no big deal. My only question is, has anyone noticed their HDD making a lot more noises? Specifically while a screensaver is running. Last night my Hac went into sleep mode and the constant clicking and spinning of my HDD literally woke me up while on Leopard it was maybe a buzz here and there.

Could this just be a defect in my HDD or has anyone else experienced a louder HDD. Both my HDD's (leopard and Snow) are WD Caviar Black 1TB.

thanks guys

This posting is regarding some questions above and the fact that I placed most of the kexts in the System folder.

First here the config with the script, which is attached.

As bootloader, I use PCEFI 10.2

With this config, I got all working including sleep, not sure thought if Bonjour is working because I do not use it.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mike

post-454302-1252948316_thumb.png

All, thanks for posted to this thread, great stuff!

Quick question on "state of the union" on UD5 support for SL: It looks like everything for UD5 is known to work correctly/easily through DD's script for *32-bit* mode. For *64-bit* mode, everything works *except* network and audio. Correct?

Since updating to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext I'm having isues with Wake from sleep.

I have used the updated fakesmc.kext you linked to but still no wake.

Can you list what kexts you are using please to help me troubleshoot.

thanks

Has anyone gotten both Bonjour AND sleep to work at the same time? I seem to be having the same issues. With RealTekR1000, sleep works, but Bonjour doesn't. With AppleRTL8169Ethernet, Bonjour works, but sleep doesn't.

Has anyone gotten both Bonjour AND sleep to work at the same time? I seem to be having the same issues. With RealTekR1000, sleep works, but Bonjour doesn't. With AppleRTL8169Ethernet, Bonjour works, but sleep doesn't.

I myself am currently using the RealtekR1000.kext.

I noticed the bonjour issue when trying to get the iTunes Remote app working on my iPhone. So I started to look around and found a thread where the solution was posted.

Thread where I learned about it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...181903&st=0

Direct copy paste of instructions found by Eliade:

WHO WANTS BONJOUR AT BOOT automatically (32bit and 64bt) using the fix I found earlier (for those that don't have bonjour working by default like me, I'm sure it's most of you)

so there goes

download ifconfig:http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/

or direct link: http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/ifconfig.tgz

if you don't want to run the command line manually, having it at boot without any prompt

place ifconfig anywhere you want

(I created a bonjour directory in the Extra folder for organization sake)

then add this script where every you want ifconfig.command.zip

(have mine again in that same bonjour directory)

modify it with textedit or whatever to point to your ifconfig

mine is set to be in /Extra/Bonjour/ifconfig

then open the terminal and paste this, well change the path to the script wherever you want it to be

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Extra/bonjour/ifconfig.command

type your password at prompt

now reboot, bonjour works at boot without further intervention

ENJOY

edit:

if for some reason you want to remove it from boot go to terminal and paste this:

sudo defaults delete com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook

I can confirm it working, my remote is now connected to iTunes and I can access my files on the hackintosh using my MacBook and vice versa.

I have this mobo fully working without any use of scripts, without any modded or added kext in /S/L/E.

Everything working with latest kexts and dsdt in /Extra together with Chameleon RC3.

Here is my Extra folder for the ppl who still can't get this mobo working. No support by PM included :)

Good Luck,

BiTRiP

Extra_GA_EX58_UD5_BiTRiP.zip

Just one question there:

Where have you configered your GFX-Card (also in the DSDT?).

Fully working with 64 bit kernel?

Cheers, Mike

MAJ I hope you don't mind but I wrote something for the Bonjour Fix. I also created a Startupitem for it.

EDIT: This post is a contribution to Digital_Dreamers script. If you want the easy way to solve the bonjour problem read this post.

Once again I based it off your code. I'm sure it's a bit crude but I've tested it and it works.

bonjour(){
echo -e "\n$SUB   Fixing Bonjour   $SUB\n" >> "$LOG"
splash
echo -e "${bold}${yellow}${rev} NOTE: ${plain}${yellow}\nThis will install a new StartupItem to: ${bold}$TARGET_DRIVE_NAME - Disk$IDNTFR.${plain}${yellow}\nThe item will be placed in /System/Library/StartupItems/\n${plain}${green}\nThis StartupItem will apply a fix to en0 at every boot.\nAfter pressing Y Bonjour should be fully functional.\n"
QSTN="${cyan}${bold}Y for installation, N for removal and E for Exit.${plain}"; prompt_dy
if [ $RESPONSE == 0 ];then
echo -e "\nRemoving Bonjour Fix." >> "$LOG"
MSSG="${yellow}Bonjour Fix Removed.${plain}"
rm -v /Extra/bin/ifconfig >> "$LOG" 2>&1
rm -vrf /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix >> "$LOG" 2>&1
return;
fi
echo -e "\nInstalling Bonjour Fix." >> "$LOG"
cd "$SCRPT_PTH/~extra/Bonjour"
mkdir /Extra/bin >> "$LOG" 2>&1
cp -vf ifconfig /Extra/bin/ >> "$LOG" 2>&1
cp -vrf BonjourFix /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/ >> "$LOG" 2>&1
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix start >> "$LOG" 2>&1
}

The attached zipfile contains the necessary files for the script. This would probably be resolved in the driver sooner or later but just in case :)

Files go in ~extra/Bonjour, script creates a /Extra/bin directory. I thought it might be useful in the future if more utilities are being added instead of creating a separate directory for each executable.

Log output:

<==================>   Fixing Bonjour   <==================>

Removing Bonjour Fix.
/Extra/bin/ifconfig
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist
/System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix

<==================>   Fixing Bonjour   <==================>

Installing Bonjour Fix.
mkdir: /Extra/bin: File exists
ifconfig -> /Extra/bin/ifconfig
BonjourFix -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix
BonjourFix/BonjourFix -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/BonjourFix
BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist -> /System/Library/StartupItems/BonjourFix/StartupParameters.plist

Bonjour.zip

Hey, just wanted to report a problem I'm having but first I have a question: is the bonjour problem been solved using the RealtekR1000.kext yet?

My problem is that I experience pretty bad lag using screen sharing with my PC. After using it for a few minutes, I experience a kernel panic and I have no idea why... I'm currently using a network kext provided by Realtek on their site, it came in a package, but it was only a single kext (I think the name's IONetworkingFamily.kext or something like that).

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks!

Edit:

Looks like I was being blind, there's a solution above! I assume that's used with RealtekR1000.kext?

Just one question there:

Cheers, Mike

I dont have really configured my GFX-card in dsdt but use the chameleon gfx-enabler in com.apple.Boot.plist.

I order to get that working I had to fix a little thing in dsdt (setting UID of PCI0 to 0 instead of 1) because gigabyte boards have some issues with that string.

I use 32bit snow because there is no reason to use 64bit. If there is, tell me.

But it also worked in 64bit.

BiTRiP

Hey, just wanted to report a problem I'm having but first I have a question: is the bonjour problem been solved using the RealtekR1000.kext yet?

My problem is that I experience pretty bad lag using screen sharing with my PC. After using it for a few minutes, I experience a kernel panic and I have no idea why... I'm currently using a network kext provided by Realtek on their site, it came in a package, but it was only a single kext (I think the name's IONetworkingFamily.kext or something like that).

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks!

Edit:

Looks like I was being blind, there's a solution above! I assume that's used with RealtekR1000.kext?

Yes, I'm using it with the RealTekR1000.kext

I dont have really configured my GFX-card in dsdt but use the chameleon gfx-enabler in com.apple.Boot.plist.

I order to get that working I had to fix a little thing in dsdt (setting UID of PCI0 to 0 instead of 1) because gigabyte boards have some issues with that string.

BiTRiP

BiTRiP - please post where in the DSDT need to change it?

Please write what ever altered in DSDT?

BiTRiP

BiTRiP - This worked like an absolute charm - I have had no chance yet to try out Bonjour, but apart from that: KUDOS!

Just one question there:

Cheers, Mike

I tried this extra folder and everything works in 32 bit. Clean install, just replace the extra folder with this one. Lan doesnt work in 64 bit mode though.

Cheers