[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Just for the hell of it, I removed Dont Steal Mac OS kext from /S/L/E to my desktop, then restarted the system. Well, now it won't boot up, shows me a bunch of Realtek1000 messages and it just hangs...

I tried: -s, -F boot options but same prob.

Maybe the wrong thread for this question, but figured people here might know how to fix it.

How can I install it back on?

Thanks!

RealtekR1000.kext (attached) placed inside apple's IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

***RealtekR1000.kext info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1252940

thanks for your guide - sound is finally working!

but there's still a problem with my network:

some time after I put the attached RealtekR1000.kext inside (show package contents...) apple's IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

the following error shows up:

"System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/S/l/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/RealtekR1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update"

What's my problem? Do I have to restore some rights? Please show me the right way to place this kext.

thanks in advance!

thanks for your guide - sound is finally working!

but there's still a problem with my network:

some time after I put the attached RealtekR1000.kext inside (show package contents...) apple's IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

the following error shows up:

"System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/S/l/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/RealtekR1000.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update"

What's my problem? Do I have to restore some rights? Please show me the right way to place this kext.

thanks in advance!

1) move the IONetworkingFamily.kext to some other dir (like your desktop)

2) open it and drag the Realtek kext into the plugins dir

3) use the KExt Utility to re-install the IONetworkingFamily kext

4) reboot :-)

thanks a lot! I am writing this from my 64bit SL install :)

Emilo, I followed your steps and finally sleep AND sound AND network (onboard) is working @ 64bit !

Haven't tried Bonjour yet because I'm not using it...

Notes: In this setup, S3 sleep (S1 disabled in DSDT) does not work in 32 bit mode.

If you leave S1 enabled in DSDT then sleep/wake will work in both 32/64 bit modes but it will not be S3 but S1 sleep working.

Thanks Emilo.

If I understand correctly, with PC EFI you can do S1 sleep, and wake is possible with the power button.

I assume you added the PWRB DSDT (_HID to _CID) fix after you posted your last DSDT, and have `Allow power button to put the computer to sleep' checked in Energy Saver.

Would you show the part of your system.log where it sleeps and wakes?

That may give me a clue to what I'm missing.

With S1 set in my DSDT (`Name (\_S1, Package (0x04)' and `Name (\SS3, Package (0x04)') it spins down the HDDs but it doesn't appear to write out the contents of memory to the hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage (hibernatemode is 0 like all non portables), and I can't wake with the PWRB, KB or mouse.

Setting S3 in the DSDT (`Name (\SS1, Package (0x04)' and `Name (\_S3, Package (0x04)') and sleeping just shuts the computer down with nothing regarding sleep in the log.

I'd like to at least get S1 sleep and wake working with Chameleon 2 RC3.

S3 may not be possible due to a combination of GB BIOS issues on wake from S3 and OS X issues on non Apple hardware.

I tried everything from using a standard 2.66 GHz clock, SleepEnabler.kext, having `Allow power button to put the computer to sleep' and `Start up automatically after a power failure' checked in Energy Saver, hibernatemode=3, ForceWake=Yes, and fixing the DSDT so that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, AppleHPET and AppleLPC can load without KP.

For some reason I can't get past the following;

Oct 22 23:41:42 mac05 loginwindow[60]: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback WILL sleep

Update: I tried PC EFI 10.5 and wasn't able to get S1 wake either.

I followed the directions and still can't get LAn working under 64!!

@d00d

Quote: "If I understand correctly, with PC EFI you can do S1 sleep, and wake is possible with the power button."

If I leave S1 enabled (including S0, S3, S4, S5) in DSDT , I am able to sleep from apple/sleep and wake with power button.

Quote: "I assume you added the PWRB DSDT (_HID to _CID) fix after you posted your last DSDT, and have `Allow power button to put the computer to sleep' checked in Energy Saver."

I never added "sleep with power button" hack to DSDT. I put computer to sleep from apple/sleep and wake with power button.

Quote: "Would you show the part of your system.log where it sleeps and wakes? That may give me a clue to what I'm missing."

Attached is S3 sleep (I hope) system log.

Quote: "I'd like to at least get S1 sleep and wake working with Chameleon 2 RC3."

I didn't use Chameleon long enough to get working sleep as this would require keeping my DSDT with pciroot=0.

I just assumed that since Gigabyte used pciroot=1 in all BIOS versions for UD5, there must be good reason for it and moved to using PC EFI which has pciroot=1 as default.

Quote: "S3 may not be possible due to a combination of GB BIOS issues on wake from S3 and OS X issues on non Apple hardware."

That may be true, but I wouldn't know much about it.

I am noob willing to experiment and learn, relying on direction or expertise from more advanced users like you.

One way of checking if we are dealing with S1 or S3 sleep is to connect computer to Electricity Usage Monitor like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U638PM?tag=th...5B3JQXCZDR&

If someone has one, please test your system and post results !!!

S3_sleep_system_log.rtf.zip

I got Lan connected but it can't find a DHCP

You may have to reset your network by deleting following files, restarting and configuring network again:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

I tried that, but my IP Address keeps showing 169.254.180.132

Did you rebuild your caches after reinstalling IONetworkingFamily kext ?

You must always do it after modyfing/adding/removing any kext.

rebuilding by -s, then buildcache at bootup?

Type -s then press enter at Chameleon Hard Drive screen (-s should appear at left/bottom corner),

then when scrolling ends type buildcache and press enter, then when when scrolling ends type reboot and press enter.

Did you check with Firefox/Safari if your internet works ?

Type -s then press enter at Chameleon Hard Drive screen. (-s should appear at left/bottom corner)

then when scrolling ends type buildcache and press enter, then when when scrolling ends type reboot and press enter.

Yup I did that, no good. Maybe its my router? Should I disable anything? I tried to manually input an ip in that can be used, but still can't connect.

Yup I did that, no good. Maybe its my router? Should I disable anything? I tried to manually input an ip in that can be used, but still can't connect.

IP Address will be changing with different Networking kexts used (I do not know why) but LAN should work anyway.

Are you using my exact setup (F9E BIOS, PC EFI 10.5, DSDT, kexts etc...)

If yes, you may try to reset CMOS and setup your BIOS again.

Type -s then press enter at Chameleon Hard Drive screen (-s should appear at left/bottom corner),

Did you check with Firefox/Safari if your internet works ?

So, you tried a static IP, along with subnet mask and router IP?

Have you reset/rebooted the router?

Is the networking kext in /Extra or /System?

(I don't think you should have to do any of the above things, but we're just assuming the kexts are properly installed.)

BTW, if you are in SL, no need to boot into Single-User mode to rebuild caches. Just do it via script at the desktop like normal.

MAJ

Update: I tried PC EFI 10.5 and wasn't able to get S1 wake either.

Additional info:

- I used /Extra method in my install.

- I am using F9E BIOS

- I have S3 enabled in BIOS, regardless of whatever sleep combination is set in DSDT.

- In my BIOS all power saving states (C1, EIST etc...) are set to disabled.

- DSDT have been created with koalala's DSDT Patcher 02Beta5 in Vista64.

- Following DSDT patches were applied manually on Mac side: Audio, LAN, S3 sleep, CMOS reset, Orange icons.

- I do not use ATI_init.kext in my setup. I deleted it once I got GraphicEnabler working.

- Now use PC EFI 10.5, with pciroot=1 in DSDT. (originally used PC EFI 10.3 with below kexts in Extra)

- You can try using SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra instead of S/L/E.

Let me know what other information I can provide you with to help.

Additional info:

- I used /Extra method in my install.

- I have S3 enabled in BIOS, regardless of whatever sleep combination is set in DSDT.

- In my BIOS all power saving states (C1, EIST etc...) are set to disabled.

- I do not use ATI_init.kext in my setup. I deleted it once I got GraphicEnabler working.

- In case you use PC EFI 10.4/5, set pciroot=1 in DSDT instead of using -pci1 in boot playlist.

- Try using SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra folder instead of S/L/E.

For about one week S1 sleep was rock solid in both 32/64 modes with above kexts in Extra folder, but it broke after installing exotic bootloader. I could only get it back to work again by moving those two kexts to S/L/E.

- Try using my DSDT and F9E BIOS if you can.

Let me know what other information I can provide you with to help.

2nd go at reply as first disappeared.

I have a solid 32bit SL install (basically vanilla DD script and DSDT patch). I then have a tesbed install to try and get 64bit working (DSDT sound patch, and realtek kext inside IONetworking family).

I found that upgrading to F9E bios made my stable system KP every time it woke from sleep! Luckily going back to F7 bios fixed the problem, but has put me off bios upgrades!

BTW like some others, with my test install in 64bit mode I cannot get a dhcp address no matter what I try. Am i right in assuming that I could get round this by using the Dell broadcom adapter which works natively?

Thanks for everyones posts.

Jon

So, you tried a static IP, along with subnet mask and router IP?

Have you reset/rebooted the router?

Is the networking kext in /Extra or /System?

(I don't think you should have to do any of the above things, but we're just assuming the kexts are properly installed.)

BTW, if you are in SL, no need to boot into Single-User mode to rebuild caches. Just do it via script at the desktop like normal.

MAJ

Yes, I put the ethernet kext into the /System. I tried resetting the router as well. Still get the 169... ip. What else could I do to troubleshoot the problem?

Hey guys,

Tried getting 64 bit mode to work following Emilo's instructions (was hoping the patched DSDT and legacyHDA would get the internal s/pdif connector working) but now i dont have any sound devices at all. Tried putting legacyHDA in extra and S/L/E (even though it is a 32_64 module) but nothing seems to work. System profiler says i have built in audio and finds the devices but nothing shows up in system preferences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

DarkenedReality

2nd go at reply as first disappeared.

I have a solid 32bit SL install (basically vanilla DD script and DSDT patch). I then have a tesbed install to try and get 64bit working (DSDT sound patch, and realtek kext inside IONetworking family).

I found that upgrading to F9E bios made my stable system KP every time it woke from sleep! Luckily going back to F7 bios fixed the problem, but has put me off bios upgrades!

BTW like some others, with my test install in 64bit mode I cannot get a dhcp address no matter what I try. Am i right in assuming that I could get round this by using the Dell broadcom adapter which works natively?

Thanks for everyones posts.

Jon

Before I purchased parts for my comp, I read horrible stories from Windows users about early UD5 BIOS,

so once got all parts, decided to update the BIOS to the latest version available.

All tests I have ever made were with F9E BIOS and things were going well for me in 32/64 bit until I decided to test

exotic Cham 2RC3 bootloader with deep sleep from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c12e226...04e75f6e8ebb871

After going back to PC EFI 10.3 then trying 10.4 and 10.5 couldn't get my system to sleep again, even after fresh install.

Sleep started to work again after I moved SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra folder to S/L/E.

Now I can repeat this install and everything works every time.

- Dell broadcom adapter works natively.

- I don't have any problems (except Bonjour) with onboard LAN+RealtekR1000 kext as well.

Update: Just tested sleep again in 32bit, and getting KP after awake !!! Will make more tests to see what happened.

Everything continues to work properly in 64bit mode.