[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

1. PC EFI 10.3 allows you to boot without DSDT. (You will have to setup your BIOS as rebooting without DSDT resets CMOS)

Once you run D_D script and successfully boot to your new SL, delete DSDT created previously, reboot and run part 7 of the script (DSDT patcher) to generate clean DSDT.

2. For first successful boot use only kexts that I have listed.

3. Use provided link

4. Type -s press Enter and after scrolling stops type buildcache press Enter then when scrolling stops type reboot press Enter.

5. Boot in 32bit mode as I don't know if ATY_Init.kext which is installed for your video card is 64bit.

First let me say THANK YOU. This is really starting to get to me, as this system is extremely important for me to get working, and I didn't think it would be quite this hard (though it still seems easy, and more like I'm just not doing something right).

Second, I have tried what you suggested, and I have gotten slightly further. now I get a hang after the REALTEK hang I had previously mentioned:

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x7897e053 - kext at 0x81e09000)..

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008009.

Although if you try that link you suggested, you'll notice the rapidshare link forces a forwarding url to a malware site, so I wasn't able to try what you suggested there. I also wasn't totally clear, when you said to use only the kexts you listed, do you mean that after running the kexts/kernel installer in DD's script i should remove any other kexts, or to simply drag and drop those listed kexts to their destinations and not run DD's kexts/kernel installer?

First let me say THANK YOU. This is really starting to get to me, as this system is extremely important for me to get working, and I didn't think it would be quite this hard (though it still seems easy, and more like I'm just not doing something right).

Second, I have tried what you suggested, and I have gotten slightly further. now I get a hang after the REALTEK hang I had previously mentioned:

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X module stop pointer is outside of kext range (stop 0x7897e053 - kext at 0x81e09000)..

Kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008009.

Although if you try that link you suggested, you'll notice the rapidshare link forces a forwarding url to a malware site, so I wasn't able to try what you suggested there. I also wasn't totally clear, when you said to use only the kexts you listed, do you mean that after running the kexts/kernel installer in DD's script i should remove any other kexts, or to simply drag and drop those listed kexts to their destinations and not run DD's kexts/kernel installer?

Inside DD's Kexts_10.6 folders (_ATA etc...) leave only kexts that I have listed previously.

Move unused kexts to _repository folders and run the script.

Attached is ATY_Init.kext installer. You must install it after finishing DD's script for your video card to work.

Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg.zip

:) Hi. After many failing tentatives, I succeeded in installing Snow Leopard on my EX58-UD5 motherboard (low cost GAINWARD GTX 275 graphic adapter driving the full 1920x1080x32 pxls of HD TV Monitor) following your guide. After the first system boot I had all working, with the exception of ALC889A sound and a minor issues to the keyboard (in the sense that I am obliged to use both a PS2 and a USB keyboard, and both a PS2 and USB mouse: the PS2 device DO NOT work in Snow Leopard, but are generally requested to change the boot drive at system boot; the USB keyboard needs sometimes to be disconnected and reconnected). After the automatic system update to 10.6.1 I had no ethernet connection: the Realtek 8111D was not functioning anymore. I solved this issues by using the RTGMac_v2.0.3 found here in the forum. Unfortunately, still no sound, after having tried to use the Kext Utility app with several kext combination found: HDAEnabler, LegacyHDAController, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver, ALC889A.Fix, etcetera). Does somebody have a good suggestion, procedure, and what else needed, to give a solution to the lack of sound (I also tried OSXTools with a dump from Linux Fedora, but maybe with the wrong procedure)?

Sorry to belabor the point, but *is* there a collection of working 64-bit kexts now? Where? Hard to tease out from the many scattered posts across the thread.

Install couldn't be easier for 32-bit, except for some reason I can never get Chameleon bootloader to install. Script says it installs, but it doesn't (checked EFI part), and after scripts says it's installed Chameleon, then next step (kext installer) says "whoops, no bootloader". PC EFI works a dream.

You could be part of the solution by contributing your time to collect these kexts.

The EFI partition/bootloader install is a bug that I haven't been able to completely solve yet. If you run the bootloader install a second time, it'll get installed and not deleted. On the first attempt, the EFI partition doesn't get unmounted, even after a 'force' unmount. This causes the contents to be deleted when the mountpoint is removed. On the second attempt, it will unmount cleanly.

MAJ

Can anyone tell me if the Intel SATA ports will work with a port multiplier eSATA enclosure?

Mine is working (multiplier eSATA) standard with EX58-UD5 board connection to Blue SATA port

:D

Didn't try with White GSATA (Jmicron)

In 64 bit mode (leaving only verbose flag in the string field of 'Kernel Flag' of apple.plist in /E) video dont start

because ATI kext (put in /S) is 32 bit i suppose

Anyone have the 64bit ati kekts?

Any suggestions?

with my SAPPHIRE 4870 Vapor-X 2GB EVOenabler.kext is working in 32bit AND in 64bit!

just move ATY_init.kext in _repository and put EVOenabler in _Graphics. good luck

but in 64bit audio and network won't work :D

How to set the default to 64?

you can use D_D's script using #8) Modify Plists --> Boot plists --> Kernel Flags --> remove -x32

EVOenabler.kext.zip

with my SAPPHIRE 4870 Vapor-X 2GB EVOenabler.kext is working in 32bit AND in 64bit!

just move ATY_init.kext in _repository and put EVOenabler in _Graphics. good luck

but in 64bit audio and network won't work :(

you can use D_D's script using #8) Modify Plists --> Boot plists --> Kernel Flags --> remove -x32

Great!

Thanks a lot

for audio and net ..

a step for time...

looking for.......

The boot.plist is set for 32-bit because the current kexts are mostly 32-bit. Fewer problems on install.

Gathering working 64-bit kexts that work together has taken a little time.

RE: CPU name

What language are you using?

Can you attempt a processor name change and then send me the Install.log? #17 (view logs), then #4 copy to desktop.

MAJ

Language is italian. I solve the problem CPU name.

post-417552-1255971165_thumb.png

Script works good Leo on SL. But SL on SL does'nt work.

About bootscreen graphics i work on ... (probably mine mistake)

but its a chromatic...

I don't have any suggestions. Sorry.

But, I have to say your avatar keeps causing me to move my mouse to 'double-check' things. :(

MAJ

:(

Thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately this kexts do not solve my " USB Device Eject Error" problem.

Can you tell me what happens on your system when you insert USB flash drive, put your computer to sleep and then awake ?

Doens't wake up !

;)

First, thanks to MAJ for this script. If it weren't for your original script, I would not have been able to boot 10.5. Now I'm having trouble getting SL to start.

On it's face, I'm getting the boot0 error that's mentioned in the original post's FAQ. Hold off before flaming, please. I'm a total newb, so I'm going to pretty much list all of everything that has happened since I got the SL disk in the mail because I don't know what's relevent.

1) Open SL box. LOL Kidding. I put the install disk in the drive and tried running Digital Dreamer's SL installer script. Bought a new HD for the experiment, which mounts fine, is set up as a GPT, and can be opened and used from 10.5. I am running the UD5 board and Nvidia 9800 if that matters. I ran the script, and it went along ok, started the install, and then had a kernel panic. Tried it a couple more times, with kernel panics that said slightly different things and happened at different stages of the installation. Not posting a picture of the kp because this problem seems to have sorted itself out.

2) I figured there must be an instability with my 10.5 install because I didn't do the EFI partition install and some things are a little hinkey sometimes. My next step was to install Kalyway on another free drive and try the script from there. Done and done. No more kp, but the installation says "Failed." I try to boot SL from its own drive, and I get the boot0 error. Whatever, the installation failed, so what did I expect, right?

3) For {censored} and giggles, I tried the install from 10.5 again. This is a day later after cycling power a couple times through normal use and booting into Vista and OS10.5 a couple times at various points. NO KP! Installation completed! Awesome! Except that I get the boot0 errors again. Did the "Extra" install, with the new version of Chameleon selected, btw.

4) I check the original post, see the FAQ, and go to my BIOS settings, making the SL drive the first to boot. boot0 error

5) I try booting from my 10.5 drive into Chameleon, and running SL from there. mach_kernel.voodoo not found. I tried using an old Boot123 cd, also, but that just hangs when trying to start this OS.

6) After more research, I try manually installing the new Chameleon on the SL drive. Still get boot0 trying to boot from that drive, and the mach kernel error from Chameleon on my 10.5 drive.

7) I figure I must have screwed up the manual Chameleon install, so I downloaded the pkg installer for the older Chameleon, installed that on the SL drive and replaced the invisible "boot" file in the root dir of the SL disk with the latest version.

8) I figure my Chameleon install on my 10.5 drive needs to be updated, so I replaced the invisible "boot" file in my root drive with the one from the new Chameleon. I don't notice a difference, and still get the errors.

8) More research, I find out that maybe the SL partition isn't active, though I'm pretty sure DD's script does that... So I learn how to make it active using fdisk. No change.

As far as I can tell, I just don't have a working bootloader on my SL install. Why not, and how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Please remember to SPEEAAK SLLOOWWWLLYY so I can understand the technical stuff. Thanks in advance.

RE: Disk Warrior and Hackintoshes:

That'll be cool if you post the results here. I and others would like to know. It's a shame not being able to use it, as it was the main utility I've used for Macs in the printing/newspaper industry. Once upon a time it was Disk Doctor from Norton Utilities, but that one went down hill after version 4 or so.

best regards,

MAJ

Testing complete!

There is certainly still a risk for the unprepared/uninformed.

I performed a fresh "carbon copy clone" of my boot drive to my backup and verified that it was fully bootable (boot-loader and OS X).

I booted back to my primary drive and ran Disk Warrior 4.2.

After the volume scan, I noted this "error:"

Disk: "40HBC0"!

Repaired the
Root
creation date!

Detected damaged
Boot Blocks
, they will be repaired AFTER replacing the directory

I applied the repairs and booted to the "repaired" drive.

Instead of my boot-loader, I saw this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: testing

boot0: error

I rebooted to my primary drive. Using the "DD Script" (does it have an official name?), I ran the "install bootloader" step.

One more reboot - my DW-reparied clone drive loaded its bootloader and OS X without a hitch.

What a handy script!

Regards,

Lyle

Anybody get this to work on a 1.5 TB drive?

The script is fine (great!), but it would appear that you can not get chameleon/PC EFI to work on drives over 1 TB. I tried the latest versions of everything over on netkas..... seems like other people are having the same issue.

Wonder how many boot0: error problems are related to this? Maybe worth adding to the FAQ.

The script is fine (great!), but it would appear that you can not get chameleon/PC EFI to work on drives over 1 TB. I tried the latest versions of everything over on netkas..... seems like other people are having the same issue.

Wonder how many boot0: error problems are related to this? Maybe worth adding to the FAQ.

My drive is 500gb, so not mine. I'm gonna try using the DD script to reinstall the bootloader. If it doesn't work, I'll try pc-EFI. Let you know how it goes.

Guys, I need help here. What is this KP bout? I dont know how to check the error. Im encounter randomly KP with my SL

img0033qc.th.jpg

Thanks!

That looksl like an MDworker kernel panic. if you installed SL from Leopard then you should have disabled spotlight. Read DD's post installation steps

Does anyone run into kernel panic issues when using Transmission or Vuze?

transmission works fine with me @10.6.1

try partitions..

transmission works fine with me @10.6.1

try partitions..

I did try splitting it into two partitions and that worked fine, just don't understand the >1TB issue as I thought the new PC EFI was supposed to fix it.

Noticed in your signature you have a SAPPHIRE 4870 Vapor-X 2GB fully working, did you try two displays? I gave up on it because the HDMI port didn't appear to be supported. Got the GeForce GTX 260 instead, and it was nice swapping cards and not worrying about the driver as PC EFI supports them both native.

with fully working I meant resolution change, CI and QE.

HDMI doesn't work - that's really a pity because I have to boot Win7 everytime I want to use my LCD TV...

with those Geforce cards - does HDMI work there?

I did try splitting it into two partitions and that worked fine, just don't understand the >1TB issue as I thought the new PC EFI was supposed to fix it.
I haven't used PC EFI, but Chameleon 2 RC3 works fine with 1.5TB drives.

Can anyone recommend an AirPort compatible wireless adapter for use with 64-bit 10.6? I'm in desperate need of one! Perferably wireless N.

You can use Apple's own MacBook 32/64bit Airport N mini card with MP2W-2458 or MP2W-2400 adapter.

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Airport-...1018136002r6149

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2W.html

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-co...QAdIdZ160083062

It fits perfectly in short and hard to use (because of the heat sink) PCIE x1 slot on the motherboard.

You can use Apple's own MacBook 64bit Airport N mini card with MP2W-2458 or MP2W-2400 adapter.

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Airport-...1018136002r6149

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2W.html

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-co...QAdIdZ160083062

It fits perfectly in short and hard to use (because of the heat sink) PCIE x1 slot on the motherboard.

Nice... I'm in the UK though, and that adapter would cost $77 including posting and packing. I had a little look on Ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-AirPort-Extrem...1#ht_2152wt_941

That's the closest to the one you linked from the US. Will this solution work in Windows too? Thanks.

with fully working I meant resolution change, CI and QE.

HDMI doesn't work - that's really a pity because I have to boot Win7 everytime I want to use my LCD TV...

with those Geforce cards - does HDMI work there?

Unfortunately nothing I tried would make the HDMI port work on the 4870. I always had mirrored displays through the boot process and just as the desktop was coming up the HDMI monitor would go into power save mode. I even tried changing to an HDMI-DVI cable and still no go. The GeForce GTX 260 works great with PC EFI, but I got the dual DVI version instead of one with HDMI because I couldn't find any success stories with HDMI on Nvidia or ATI. Hope I'm wrong on that and you get it working.

I haven't used PC EFI, but Chameleon 2 RC3 works fine with 1.5TB drives.

I don't mean to second guess you, but can you confirm that you formatted a 1.5 TB drive into a single partition and installed Chameleon 2 RC3 directly to Apple_HFS and not Apple_HFS EFI ?

/dev/disk2
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.5 TB	 disk2
  1:				  Apple_HFS EFI					 209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS MyMac				   1.5 TB	 disk2s2

I tried Chameleon 2 RC3 on 10.6 and 10.5 with two different motherboards and two different 1.5 TB drives, never could get a boot without installing to the EFI partition. My drives are Seagate, what are yours?

I don't mean to second guess you, but can you confirm that you formatted a 1.5 TB drive into a single partition and installed Chameleon 2 RC3 directly to Apple_HFS and not Apple_HFS EFI ?

/dev/disk2
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.5 TB	 disk2
  1:				  Apple_HFS EFI					 209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS MyMac				   1.5 TB	 disk2s2

I tried Chameleon 2 RC3 on 10.6 and 10.5 with two different motherboards and two different 1.5 TB drives, never could get a boot without installing to the EFI partition. My drives are Seagate, what are yours?

I have two mirrors on two 1.5TB Seagates, and I couldn't boot from either using Chameleon 2 RC2 with either L or SL.

I'm booting from Apple_Boot Boot OSX using Chameleon 2 RC3;

/dev/disk3
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.5 TB     disk3
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk3s1
  2:                 Apple_RAID                         536.9 GB   disk3s2
  3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk3s3
  4:                 Apple_RAID                         963.0 GB   disk3s4
  5:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk3s5
/dev/disk4
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.5 TB     disk4