[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

The script works great, thanks, I'm cruising along after many days of reboots and installations. The only problem I am having is with my Sapphire ATI Radeon 1GB 4870 with 1 DVI / 1HDMI / 1 VGA.

I chose the 4870 because I though it would be the easiest option for a hackintosh, seems like I made a big mistake. I can make this card work with just about any kext mentioned on this forum, heck, I can even get it running vanilla with snow leopard. What I can't get it to do is drive two monitors. The closest I have come is mirrored display at 1024x768 only using PC EFI 10.4 and no kexts. ATY_Init and EVOEnabler both work as well, just no signal on the HDMI port. Both monitors work fine throughout the boot process, the HDMI goes blank about 3 seconds before the desktop appears.

System profile shows Display Port: No Display Connected

Things I tried:

Changed the HDMI cable.

Changed to a HDMI cable to DVI port on monitor.

Direct inject com.apple.Boot.plist

Many many variations from threads here and on Netkas

If somebody has a 4870 with DVI and HDMI driving two monitors, please speak now.

If somebody knows of a graphics card that will run dual monitors with the EX58-UD5, please let me know, I'm afraid this one is headed for the trash (no return policy :P )

Thanks

Cyko

The script works great, thanks, I'm cruising along after many days of reboots and installations. The only problem I am having is with my Sapphire ATI Radeon 1GB 4870 with 1 DVI / 1HDMI / 1 VGA.

I chose the 4870 because I though it would be the easiest option for a hackintosh, seems like I made a big mistake. I can make this card work with just about any kext mentioned on this forum, heck, I can even get it running vanilla with snow leopard. What I can't get it to do is drive two monitors. The closest I have come is mirrored display at 1024x768 only using PC EFI 10.4 and no kexts. ATY_Init and EVOEnabler both work as well, just no signal on the HDMI port. Both monitors work fine throughout the boot process, the HDMI goes blank about 3 seconds before the desktop appears.

Things I tried:

Changed the HDMI cable.

If somebody has a 4870 with DVI and HDMI driving two monitors, please speak now.

If somebody knows of a graphics card that will run dual monitors with the EX58-UD5, please let me know, I'm afraid this one is headed for the trash (no return policy ;) )

Thanks

Cyko

Any Nvidia Card.

Things I tried:

Changed the HDMI cable.

If somebody knows of a graphics card that will run dual monitors with the EX58-UD5, please let me know, I'm afraid this one is headed for the trash (no return policy :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Cyko

So, have you tried a graphics string?

I'd some problems of this type with my Samsung F1 hard drives ( HD103UJ ) to but I got rid of those freezes with à firmware update (F1_FW_17) R220314 from DELL !- with ISO boot disk update included ! of coarse you have to do it in a Hackintosh or a PC !

:)

Thank you! The Samsung firmware -via dell- is very good!

Things I tried:

Changed the HDMI cable.

If somebody knows of a graphics card that will run dual monitors with the EX58-UD5, please let me know, I'm afraid this one is headed for the trash (no return policy :) )

Thanks

Cyko

HDMI won't work, it's a different interface (A/V) so that's probably why it doesn't work; those kexts aren't made for that. You say you bought it because it was the easiest option for a 'Hackintosh' so why did you buy what I assume is one of those Vapor cards? If it was dual DVI as most 4870s are it would work fine.

HDMI won't work, it's a different interface (A/V) so that's probably why it doesn't work; those kexts aren't made for that. You say you bought it because it was the easiest option for a 'Hackintosh' so why did you buy what I assume is one of those Vapor cards? If it was dual DVI as most 4870s are it would work fine.

Because I'm an idiot ;) The place I bought the card said the Vapor-X has better cooling than the older dual DVI model and I assumed having an HDMI port would be beneficial if I ever wanted to plug in my LCD TV. The sad thing is that I was holding both cards in my hands and ended up spending more money to get the wrong card. So maybe I was correct in my assumption that the 4870 is a good card for what I wanted to do, and this is will serve as a warning to others that the HDMI version of these cards is not a good choice. Unless you just use the DVI port for a single monitor setup, then it's a great choice as it was very easy to get working with your awesome script.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for polluting your thread with graphics card garbage.

Cheers

Cyko

Because I'm an idiot :( The place I bought the card said the Vapor-X has better cooling than the older dual DVI model and I assumed having an HDMI port would be beneficial if I ever wanted to plug in my LCD TV. The sad thing is that I was holding both cards in my hands and ended up spending more money to get the wrong card. So maybe I was correct in my assumption that the 4870 is a good card for what I wanted to do, and this is will serve as a warning to others that the HDMI version of these cards is not a good choice. Unless you just use the DVI port for a single monitor setup, then it's a great choice as it was very easy to get working with your awesome script.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for polluting your thread with graphics card garbage.

Cheers

Cyko

I did the same "mistake". So I'm here with a Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X 2 GB with DVI, HDMI and VGA :)

Do you think there's a chance getting HDMI to work with parallels or any virtual desktop with win7 and ATI drivers for win7?

or is the only solution a dual-boot with windows to watch some movies via HDMI on my LCD TV?

I have this mobo fully working without any use of scripts, without any modded or added kext in /S/L/E.

Everything working with latest kexts and dsdt in /Extra together with Chameleon RC3.

Here is my Extra folder for the ppl who still can't get this mobo working. No support by PM included :(

Good Luck,

BiTRiP

Extra_GA_EX58_UD5_BiTRiP.zip

I have roughly the same setup and the install was successful and very easy. Thank you. One question, is your SL running 64 bit or 32? I think mine is 32. If you are running 64 bit, how did you accomplished this?

Thanks,

JA

Better job Digital Dreamer!

Thank you a lot.

Very easy to use. (i'm too 'vi' & script supporter)

After 3 attempts (i wrong something) all start fine

A question, i see that in the plist the boot is set to 32 bit

Why?

There are problems to start at 64?

How to set the default to 64?

TIA

PS: Now a strange thing appear: all the icons disk disappear from desktop and the finder language is still in english after i change to italian. Not for applications menu that are correct in italian. I set correctly language in System Preferences. (Solved choosing the language translation in customize when install DVD)

I also install the BSD package like you write. Something in permissions dont run correctly. The cpu name after changing still remain Unknown and at the boot no graphics cover the system strings (like a -v).The same at shutdown. I use, chameleon 3 and 'extra' installation

PSII: here are a quarter to 3 of night ... ;) (In the night the job runs fine and no people crash the ...)

Attached IOreg screenshot shows what happens when I insert USB flash drive, eject it and remove from USB port.

I use PC EFI 10.3 and run OSX10.6.1 in 64bit

My Kexts:

in /Extra

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

in S/L/E

RealtekR1000.kext (193KB)

Can anyone tell me what may be the problem and how to fix it ?

I solved my USB problems with this fixed version of IOPCIFamily.kext for SNOW 32/64

And here is a RealtekR1000.kext for Snow 32/64 which works for me

:(

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

I solved my USB problems with this fixed version of IOPCIFamily.kext for SNOW 32/64

:(

Thanks for sharing - can you please also tell us if your Sleep and Wake works in either 32bit or 64 bit?

I'm a noob, I'll grant you that, but I find it strange that after reading this entire forum, trying every single possible configuration (i.e. on another mac with sl or leo installing sl or leo, internal on a kalyway distro from sl or leo to sl or leo, original kexts, replacing kexts, building the DSDT or just using the PC-EFI 10.3 bootloader) I have never, ever gotten this script to work. Ever.

The farthest I have gotten, was a hang on

REALTEK: Set MAC Reg C+CR Offset 0xE0: bit-3.

during first boot. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB

I'm a noob, I'll grant you that, but I find it strange that after reading this entire forum, trying every single possible configuration (i.e. on another mac with sl or leo installing sl or leo, internal on a kalyway distro from sl or leo to sl or leo, original kexts, replacing kexts, building the DSDT or just using the PC-EFI 10.3 bootloader) I have never, ever gotten this script to work. Ever.

The farthest I have gotten, was a hang on

during first boot. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

- What kexts, bootloader and video card are you using ?

- Did you create DSDT with D_D script and from the same computer that you will run SL ?

For video card problems (black screen at login), install this: http://netkas.org/?p=104

First - a BIG THANK YOU to Digital Dreamer and everyone who has provided valuable input to get things working on on the GA-EX58-UD5!!!

I am surprised the Moderators haven't stickied this thread yet!!!!

Now...

This question is posed to anyone who has a fully working and stable system (either 32-bit or 64-bit) on the GA-EX58-UD5 using the Chameleon v2.0 RC3 bootloader:

Does Sleep, Audio, Networking, AND Bonjour all work for you at the same time?

If so, please post a list of the kexts that are installed in both S/L/E and in Extra, and...

If you modified your DSTD.aml file to get something to work, please post it as well.

I have a very stable system, but wake from sleep only works when NO networking kexts are installed. The second I drop any networking kext into S/L/E and rebuild the caches, I kernel panic on wake from sleep.

I'm just dying to see what magic recipie works to get sleep, audio, networking, and Bonjour to all play nice together (and then Digital Dreamer should update the script to make those kexts/locations default.)

Anybody have the definitive solution?

Thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately this kexts do not solve my " USB Device Eject Error" problem.

Can you tell me what happens on your system when you insert USB flash drive, put your computer to sleep and then awake ?

- What kexts, bootloader and video card are you using ?

- Did you create DSDT with D_D script and from the same computer that you will run SL ?

For video card problems (black screen at login), install this: http://netkas.org/?p=104

I've never gotten so far as to have a black screen at login, it's still booting (in -v) when I have hangs. To get as far as I did, (the realtek hang) I had the kexts that DD included in his downloads (changing the path for the audio and networking kexts to system), had installed SL from Leo, and was using the Chameleon 2.0r bootloader with the DSDT build using DD's script on the system (on my Kalyway, 10.5 boot). If there's an install log or something somewhere that I could post that would help, just let me know. Thanks for the quick reply!

I've never gotten so far as to have a black screen at login, it's still booting (in -v) when I have hangs. To get as far as I did, (the realtek hang) I had the kexts that DD included in his downloads (changing the path for the audio and networking kexts to system), had installed SL from Leo, and was using the Chameleon 2.0r bootloader with the DSDT build using DD's script on the system (on my Kalyway, 10.5 boot). If there's an install log or something somewhere that I could post that would help, just let me know. Thanks for the quick reply!

Read D_D notes about installing from Leopard (10.5)

Inside script choose /Extra method, PC EFI 10.3 bootloader.

Use following 10.6 kexts:

Extra

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

ALC889a

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

S/L/E

RealtekR1000

After running the script, install (ATY_Init.kext) to your new SL partition: http://netkas.org/?p=104

Reboot, go to BIOS and choose your new SL Drive as first boot partition.

Make sure you read BOOTING and POST_INSTALLATION notes.

Read D_D notes about installing from Leopard (10.5)

Inside script choose /Extra method, PC EFI 10.3 bootloader.

Use following 10.6 kexts:

Extra

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

ALC889a

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

SleepEnabler

S/L/E

RealtekR1000

After running the script, install (ATY_Init.kext) to your new SL partition: http://netkas.org/?p=104

Reboot, go to BIOS and choose your new SL Drive as first boot partition.

Make sure you read BOOTING and POST_INSTALLATION notes.

So the Chameleon bootloader and building the DSDT file is not preferred to using PC EFI 10.3? I have used PC EFI 10.3 with no success, but when you say to use the kexts you listed, do you mean to remove any other kexts and use ONLY those kexts? Also the link you posted seems like it may be useful as I am running a ATI 4870, but the DL link to rapidshare seems to contain malware. I have read DD's very thorough notes on post installation, and have followed them as best I can. There is one thing that wasn't totally clear to me:

When you fist boot, and he says to build the bootcache, do you enter just -s for single user or -s -v arch-i386; then after running buildcache and reboot run -v arch=i386?

Really I don't understand why it would hang when initializing the Realtek driver, and no one else has experienced that issue.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, though I'm unsure if it makes any difference, but before the hang I've been getting it prints:

REALTEK: Interrupt :: Link changed?

REALTEK: Interrupt :: Link down?

REALTEK: RealtekR1000::R1000TxTimeout(OSObject *owner, IOTimerEventSource * timer)

That's after about a page and a half of printing Realtek messages.

So the Chameleon bootloader and building the DSDT file is not preferred to using PC EFI 10.3? I have used PC EFI 10.3 with no success, but when you say to use the kexts you listed, do you mean to remove any other kexts and use ONLY those kexts? Also the link you posted seems like it may be useful as I am running a ATI 4870, but the DL link to rapidshare seems to contain malware. I have read DD's very thorough notes on post installation, and have followed them as best I can. There is one thing that wasn't totally clear to me:

When you fist boot, and he says to build the bootcache, do you enter just -s for single user or -s -v arch-i386; then after running buildcache and reboot run -v arch=i386?

1. PC EFI 10.3 allows you to boot without DSDT. (You will have to setup your BIOS as rebooting without DSDT resets CMOS)

Once you run D_D script and successfully boot to your new SL, delete DSDT created previously, reboot and run part 7 of the script (DSDT patcher) to generate clean DSDT.

2. For first successful boot use only kexts that I have listed.

3. Use provided link

4. Type -s press Enter and after scrolling stops type buildcache press Enter then when scrolling stops type reboot press Enter.

5. Boot in 32bit mode as I don't know if ATY_Init.kext which is installed for your video card is 64bit.

In 64 bit mode (leaving only verbose flag in the string field of 'Kernel Flag' of apple.plist in /E) video dont start

because ATI kext (put in /S) is 32 bit i suppose

Anyone have the 64bit ati kekts?

Any suggestions?

A question, i see that in the plist the boot is set to 32 bit

Why?

There are problems to start at 64?

How to set the default to 64?

TIA

The cpu name after changing still remain Unknown and at the boot no graphics cover the system strings (like a -v).The same at shutdown. I use, chameleon 3 and 'extra' installation

The boot.plist is set for 32-bit because the current kexts are mostly 32-bit. Fewer problems on install.

Gathering working 64-bit kexts that work together has taken a little time.

RE: CPU name

What language are you using?

Can you attempt a processor name change and then send me the Install.log? #17 (view logs), then #4 copy to desktop.

MAJ

In 64 bit mode (leaving only verbose flag in the string field of 'Kernel Flag' of apple.plist in /E) video dont start

because ATI kext (put in /S) is 32 bit i suppose

Anyone have the 64bit ati kekts?

Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions. Sorry.

But, I have to say your avatar keeps causing me to move my mouse to 'double-check' things. :thumbsup_anim:

MAJ

Gathering working 64-bit kexts that work together has taken a little time.

MAJ

Sorry to belabor the point, but *is* there a collection of working 64-bit kexts now? Where? Hard to tease out from the many scattered posts across the thread.

Install couldn't be easier for 32-bit, except for some reason I can never get Chameleon bootloader to install. Script says it installs, but it doesn't (checked EFI part), and after scripts says it's installed Chameleon, then next step (kext installer) says "whoops, no bootloader". PC EFI works a dream.