[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Thank you for your reply! :D

Could I take a old drive from my older pc (180 GB) or is this not a good idea?

Or should I buy a new one? If yes, how much GB I will need on this drive to run SL on it?

Well you could, provided its SATA, IDE is not recommended. You can also buy a new one if you intend to use Snow as your main OS. A new HD is definitely faster than an older one

I just can't seem to get SL intstalled. I've followed this guide and others to the letter, but still can't get it to work.

I have attached a screenshot of where the boot/install freezes on me.

Any help is greatly appreciated and needed...I'm getting depressed.

Thanks,

JA

EX58_UD5

Visiontek Radeon 49870 512mg

OCZ Gold 6GB RAM

WD Black 650GB HD

post-496021-1255565515_thumb.jpg

I just can't seem to get SL intstalled. I've followed this guide and others to the letter, but still can't get it to work.

I have attached a screenshot of where the boot/install freezes on me.

Any help is greatly appreciated and needed...I'm getting depressed.

Thanks,

JA

EX58_UD5

Visiontek Radeon 49870 512mg

OCZ Gold 6GB RAM

WD Black 650GB HD

post-496021-1255565515_thumb.jpg

Well, it looks like you are ready to go except for video. Look through the forum for ways to get your video card to work. I have found that Nvidia cards are much easier than ATI cards to get working, hence I don't use ATI (I have three ATI cards setting on the work bench).

You may want to look into different bootloaders that feature injection for ATI cards. You may also try the -x boot flag at boot, this sometimes works although resolution is usually set to a stock 1024x760. In the end you will need to change to a different video card or find an injector to get yours to work.

Normally, the next step from where your install stops is to launch into the welcome screen. Actually, the machine is likely in Welcome but since there is no video or audio you can't tell.

Well, it looks like you are ready to go except for video. Look through the forum for ways to get your video card to work. I have found that Nvidia cards are much easier than ATI cards to get working, hence I don't use ATI (I have three ATI cards setting on the work bench).

You may want to look into different bootloaders that feature injection for ATI cards. You may also try the -x boot flag at boot, this sometimes works although resolution is usually set to a stock 1024x760. In the end you will need to change to a different video card or find an injector to get yours to work.

Normally, the next step from where your install stops is to launch into the welcome screen. Actually, the machine is likely in Welcome but since there is no video or audio you can't tell.

I am stunned. I bought this card because I thought it was the easy way to go. DD has it, plus Apple puts it in their systems.

Any suggestions on bootloaders for the Radeon 4870?

Thanks for the help,

JA

I am stunned. I bought this card because I thought it was the easy way to go. DD has it, plus Apple puts it in their systems.

Any suggestions on bootloaders for the Radeon 4870?

Thanks for the help,

JA

Do a search or otherwise read through this thread and somewhere DD will indicate what he used to get his card to work. Start by making sure you have no kexts showing outside the 'repository folder' in the Graphics folder in DDs script, as I understand that card is supposed to work natively.

To finally get to the question... Has anyone managed to get all six ICHR10 SATA ports to work at the same time? I'm hesitant to put anything on the JMicron right now. Ultimately, I want all six of my internal drives going, plus the eSATA setup for portable HDDs... 8 drives total (hence the purchase of a board with 10 ports).

Yeah, I have 6 drives connected plus all the JMicron ones

2 x 500GB (port 0 and 1 - boot drives)

2 x 1.5TB (port 2 and 3)

1 x DVD drive (port 4)

1 x 1.5TB in a slot tray (port 5)

On the JMicron, I have a 1.5TB and all the eSATA connectors (2 are used always). I find hot-swapping iffy. Some times it works, but most times I have to cross my fingers.

I had some issues getting OSX to recognize all the drives also.. but I blamed that mostly on overloading the JMicron ports initially. And yes, the BIOS always recognized the drives.

When the drive is plugged into the computer at boot (USB), it hangs on the the Gigibyte screen and it won't boot.

Do I need to set the partition active?

Can someone do a step by step on cloning an install to a USB drive?

Thanks!

The mobo is rather finicky. I had the same issue - I could not boot from a old 20GB USB drive (hangs at Gigabyte screen - unplug it and everything works). However it did work off a 500GB USB drive without ANY issues. In fact, my first two OSX86 installs were using 300/500GB USB drives (one powered and one portable).

I blame the mobo.

Has anyone tried the new performance update for leopard/snow leopard?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3901

It is an update for IOAHCIFamily.kext which concerns certain machines with intermittant freezes and 1.7 Apple EFI !

I'd some problems of this type with my Samsung F1 hard drives ( HD103UJ ) to but I got rid of those freezes with à firmware update (F1_FW_17) R220314 from DELL !- with ISO boot disk update included ! of coarse you have to do it in a Hackintosh or a PC !

:rolleyes:

Hello every1, thanks DD 4 script,

I've 'succeded' installing SL...everything is fine, except video, audio, net... :))

so, I'm going deeper underground DSDT pathing

4 that purpose, I would be very gratefull if some1 more clever than me could design

a diagram / mindmap of the interaction of DSDT / smbios ...

thank you

my specs

GA EX58 Extreme

GeForce GTS 250

Hey Hey, having some troubles during post installation. I can not boot into SL, when I choose it a long list of of prompts come down over the boot prompt, then after 2 minutes of that it goes to a black screen with prompts for about 5 secs then it just hangs there. I'm trying to update from 10.5.7

When I try to boot into Kalyway from that drive the same thing happens except the prompts that come over the boot screen are 5 secs and when it switches to the black screen it takes about 2 mins before it hangs. I am able to boot when I set the other drive as active in BIOs.

The only thing I have modified since using this system was the graphic card (9800GTX+)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in setting up SL

Hello.

So, I tried everything again from scratch, but instead of a USB drive install, I added a 2nd HD into my system and installed iAtkos v7 (without a problem). I then followed DD's guide and installed SL to the 2nd drive in the system, applied all scripts and patches an rebooted. When the Chameleon screen comes up it shows my iAtkos drive and my drive with SL. I choose SL and type "-v arch-i386" at the bottom of this Chameleon screen. Hit enter, things seemto be loading then i get this Kernel panic:

post-496021-1255630628_thumb.jpg

I even tried it with the "-v -x32" at the prompt in case I got that wrong. Same thing happens. I am so green at this and I'm guessing this has something to do with the 64bit note in DD's guide.

Anyone have any advice for me. I sure could use it.

Thanks,

JA

EX58-UD5

Radeon 4870

6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600

WD Black 600gb system HD

Hello.

So, I tried everything again from scratch, but instead of a USB drive install, I added a 2nd HD into my system and installed iAtkos v7 (without a problem). I then followed DD's guide and installed SL to the 2nd drive in the system, applied all scripts and patches an rebooted. When the Chameleon screen comes up it shows my iAtkos drive and my drive with SL. I choose SL and type "-v arch-i386" at the bottom of this Chameleon screen. Hit enter, things seemto be loading then i get this Kernel panic:

I even tried it with the "-v -x32" at the prompt in case I got that wrong. Same thing happens. I am so green at this and I'm guessing this has something to do with the 64bit note in DD's guide.

Thanks,

JA

EX58-UD5

Radeon 4870

6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600

WD Black 600gb system HD

Make sure all your kexts are installed to S/L/E and you should first boot into single user mode and build your bootcache form there.

I don't have to use IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext to not have my drives show up in the Finder with orange icons, because I have added the following to IDE1 and IDE2 (above `Device (PRIM)');

I'm not using Chameleon's EthernetBuiltIn option because I've added the following to PEX4 and PEX5 (change to location 2 for PEX5);

My ethernet devices show in System Profiler under Ethernet Cards, not under PCI Cards, just like Apple hardware machines.

I see my video card in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays, the `xx.xx.xx - internal' ROM revision means that it's from Chameleon;

There is a DSDT modification that also shows your video card in System Profiler under PCI Cards like Apple hardware does, but I haven't made that change yet.

d00d,

Thank you,

That helps a lot

This whole thread/guide is amazing. This is my first install so I'm totally green, and I can't seem to get through my first boot. It is hanging at:

REALTEK: Set MAC Reg C+CR Offset 0xE0: bit-3.

The only references i've seen to this involve replacing RealtekR1000, but as far as I can tell no one else in this thread has experienced this issue. Is this true? Any tips?

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

post-496021-1255630628_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

JA

EX58-UD5

Radeon 4870

6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600

WD Black 600gb system HD

At first boot into SL type: -v -s arch=i386 then enter

When it stops type: buildcache (I believe that is the command, read DDs explanation on the first page of this thread to be sure)

Also note that the command is arch=i386 NOT arch-i386 to set 32 bit mode using Chameleon.

Here is an info about getting sleep to work in 32/64bit mode on GA-EX58-UD5 !!!

Extract RealtekR1000.kext (193 KB) from inside D_D's IONetworkingFamily.kext and install it inside apple's original IONetworkingFamily.kext located in S/L/E.

Are you also using SleepEnabler.kext, and do you set ACPI Suspend Type to S3(STR) in BIOS?

Please show the output from running `pmset -g' as well.

Thanks.

Are you also using SleepEnabler.kext, and do you set ACPI Suspend Type to S3(STR) in BIOS?

Please show the output from running `pmset -g' as well.

Thanks.

1. Here is what I use:

a. Inside Extra/Stored_Kexts folder

fakesmc.kext v2.0 (127KB)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext (74KB)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (119KB)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (102KB)

PlatformUUID.kext (106KB)

SleepEnabler.kext (115KB)

Note: LegacyHDA.kext (74KB) is used with DSDT audio fix from here: http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=213

b. Inside S/L/E

RealtekR1000.kext (193KB)

or

RealtekR1000.kext (193KB) installed inside Contents/PlugIns of apple's original IONetworkingFamily.kext

2. Yes, ACPI Suspend Type is set to S3(STR) in BIOS.

3. Here is what I get from running "pmset -g" command in terminal:

Last login: Thu Oct 15 19:15:49 on console

Emilos-Mac:~ emilo$ pmset -g

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

hibernatemode 0

sleep 60

powerbutton 1

disksleep 10

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

Emilos-Mac:~ emilo$

Quote: "Please show the output from running `pmset -g' as well"

I am not sure how to do it. Would you give me steps?

You would run it from the Terminal;

[mac05:~] me% pmset -g

Active Profiles:

UPS Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

hibernatemode 0

sleep 0

powerbutton 0

disksleep 0

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

autorestart 1

ttyskeepawake 0

displaysleep 0

[mac05:~] me%

I am also able to wake up my computer from keyboard or mouse. I am not sure when this started to work as I have been messing around with different DSDT fixes, but I can post my DSDT if needed.
The RealtekR1000.kext from X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer_4.1/Kexts_10.6/_Networking/_repository/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ spams the kernel.log with debug messages.

Yes, please post your DSDT.

Are you able to sleep with both Finder:Apple:Sleep, and Energy Saver sleep timer?

Thanks.

Attached is my DSDT
That DSDT may be giving you S1(POS) sleep instead.

When you dump a BIOS set to S1 you get;

Name (\_S1, Package (0x04)

and

Name (\SS3, Package (0x04)

When you dump a BIOS set to S3 you get;

Name (\SS1, Package (0x04)

and

Name (\_S3, Package (0x04)

In other words, the extra S is commenting out the unused state.

Your DSDT has;

Name (_S1, Package (0x04)

and

Name (_S3, Package (0x04)

...so I assume it's defaulting to S1.

The \_x syntax functions the same as _x, either way works.

You also have sixteen processor cores defined (0-9, A-F) in Scope (_PR), like a dual CPU MacPro4,1 would have, but you should only have eight (0-7).

- What it means to "dump a BIOS set" ?

- I am not sure why DSDT shows 16 cores (It has have been created with D_D scrip on actual hardware shown in my signature).

- I don't understand why DSDT shows S1 state, when I always had it set to S3(STR) in BIOS (also when running D_D's scrip).

- Do you have any suggestions on how to generate DSDT properly ?

Download EvOsx86's DSDTSE V1.2.4.zip at http://uploaded.to/file/22ce19.

Select DSDTSE:Tools:Extract DSDT to get your BIOS dump.

Keep in mind that any DSDT.aml that you loaded on boot will show in the dump.

The only way to get a clean dump is to reboot without using any DSDT.aml, then run DSDTSE.

ok, maybe I wasn't very specific in my request...

this diagram could be very usefull for everybody for understanding / coroborating hardware data among bios - dsdt - SL registry

so, anybody who could spare a minute?

Hello every1, thanks DD 4 script,

I've 'succeded' installing SL...everything is fine, except video, audio, net... :) )

so, I'm going deeper underground DSDT pathing

4 that purpose, I would be very gratefull if some1 more clever than me could design

a diagram / mindmap of the interaction of DSDT / smbios ...

thank you

my specs

GA EX58 Extreme

GeForce GTS 250

Download EvOsx86's DSDTSE V1.2.4.zip at http://uploaded.to/file/22ce19.

Select DSDTSE:Tools:Extract DSDT to get your BIOS dump.

Keep in mind that any DSDT.aml that you loaded on boot will show in the dump.

The only way to get a clean dump is to reboot without using any DSDT.aml, then run DSDTSE.

Thank you for explanation.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

In order to get clean BIOS dump I should do as follow:

1. Boot with PC EFI 10.3 and without any DSDT in Extra folder.

2. Extract new DSDT with DSDTSE application.

Can my choice of kexts (in Extra or S/L/E) affect BIOS dump/DSDT output ?

Should I enable injection of Graphics/Ethernet or anything else in boot.plist for clean BIOS dump ?