[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, @ROBASEFR said:

My rig is still ok with 10.13.6 and latest Nvidia and Cuda drivers..

10 years anniversary !

Hey Afrobaser i am thinking of replacing my i7 920 with a xeon W3680 like yours.

I am also using doods DSDT, can yuo give me some hints of the chnages i will need ot make to the dsdt for the new processor? Change the pstates for the w3680 as detialed in doods post0? anything else? do you need to do this before you install the new processor?

Cheers

J

22 hours ago, jhrfc said:

Hey Afrobaser i am thinking of replacing my i7 920 with a xeon W3680 like yours.

I am also using doods DSDT, can yuo give me some hints of the chnages i will need ot make to the dsdt for the new processor? Change the pstates for the w3680 as detialed in doods post0? anything else? do you need to do this before you install the new processor?

Cheers

J

Hello jhrfc,

You will find hereby my Clover files ( Clover 2.5k-r5107) config.plist and X58 SSDT-ALL.aml. The EFI structure is in image.

I have upgraded my bios for years know with GA-EX58-UD5 -F13 mod11 (and bumped it a little bit to 3.46Hgz), i don't know if its important ....

Specs bios F13 mod11:

Updated :
IRST 11.6.0.1702
Realtek 2.50
Jmicron 1.07.28

(I use Kextupdater (v.3.4.1) for latest versions check of kexts)

Let me know if this helps !

Cheers

config.plist

EFI-structure.png

ex58ud5_f13mod11.rom

X58-SSDT-All.aml

Edited by @ROBASEFR

On 4/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, @ROBASEFR said:

Hello jhrfc,

You will find hereby my Clover files ( Clover 2.5k-r5107) config.plist and X58 SSDT-ALL.aml. The EFI structure is in image.

I have upgraded my bios for years know with GA-EX58-UD5 -F13 mod11 (and bumped it a little bit to 3.46Hgz), i don't know if its important ....

Specs bios F13 mod11:

Updated :
IRST 11.6.0.1702
Realtek 2.50
Jmicron 1.07.28

Cheers

config.plist

EFI-structure.png

ex58ud5_f13mod11.rom

X58-SSDT-All.aml

thnaks will check it out, upgrading to highsieraa first with current cpu

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, @ROBASEFR said:

Hello jhrfc,

Specs bios F13 mod11:

Updated :
IRST 11.6.0.1702
Realtek 2.50
Jmicron 1.07.28

Cheers

config.plist

EFI-structure.png

ex58ud5_f13mod11.rom

X58-SSDT-All.aml

Thanks very much! As you see form my sig i know have highsieraa, and the xeon installed! I also went Radeon for GPU, to enable mojave, catalina etc.

The performance increase is significant. changing the psates as in doods famous post, turbo and speed step working great.

After a period of stability, I'll some moderate overclocking, cpu temps currently v low with my upgraded cooler.

Thanks again.

Jon

Edited by jhrfc
type
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now made the move to Mojave, all well. (sleep, speedstep, turbo etc), have also overclocked the CPU to 3.8 GHZ.

May now experiment with catalina. I know i will have to change the SMBIOS away form the old faithfull macpro5,1 i guess i'll need to be careful to not break the cpu power management.

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 15.53.23.png

• Like 2

@jhrfc You can keep your Mac Pro 5,1 SMBios the only thing you need to add  into your Config.Plist is no_compat_check  and you can boot Cat woman

Personally recommending Mojave because it is much more stable than Catalina and you will definitely get some sleep and wake problems

Edited by Rocky12

13 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

@jhrfc You can keep your Mac Pro 5,1 SMBios the only thing you need to add  into your Config.Plist is no_compat_check  and you can boot Cat woman

Personally recommending Mojave because it is much more stable than Catalina and you will definitely get some sleep and wake problems

Thanks @Rocky12! I read you needed to chnage the smbios for at least the upgrade/install, is that right?

Also out of interest which clover version are you using with catalina?

Will definitely install on an experemental disk for now!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

@jhrfc Yes this is true to get the latest updates you need to have a supported SMBios because Apple drop support for a bunch of machines so that’s why you need to have one which is supported

it doesn't make any problem if you still use Mac Pro 5,1 the only thing you have to add no_compat_check just to bypass the installation process 

how to get the latest update there are some tools over macrumors but I don't now if they are working on hack

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-15-catalina-on-unsupported-macs.2183772/post-28410792

My Clover Version v2.5k-r5112

CatalinaOTAswufix.zip

Edited by Rocky12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried this X58 with OpenCore?

I am in the progress and have some issues like, cannot restart, cannot boot with verbose and iClould error.

The one that I really want to fix is the restart, currently it ended with a black screen then I have to press the reset button to restart.

Shutdown and wake from sleep are ok.

Restart works fine in Clover without the need of a specialized kext.

Edited by aikidoka25
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I may also revive this topic:

Still running my rig (EX58-UD5, i7 920, Nvidia GTX 460) fine on 10.12.5 Sierra using Clover on a Fusion Drive installation (see here) - 11 years anniversary :D

App compatibility and lack of dark mode is forcing me to upgrade again. Any experience is appreciated:

- Are there any major obstacles installing macOS Catalina with Clover and Fusion Drive? Is APFS possible or should I stick with HFS+?

- Any success with Big Sur yet?

Don't have a lot of time, unfortunately - rather looing to get a stable installation for the next years. Sierra is working 99% here - only exception is shutdown/restart, but I hardly use that anyways.

1 hour ago, itdoesnotwork said:

If I may also revive this topic:

Still running my rig (EX58-UD5, i7 920, Nvidia GTX 460) fine on 10.12.5 Sierra using Clover on a Fusion Drive installation (see here) - 11 years anniversary :D

App compatibility and lack of dark mode is forcing me to upgrade again. Any experience is appreciated:

- Are there any major obstacles installing macOS Catalina with Clover and Fusion Drive? Is APFS possible or should I stick with HFS+?

- Any success with Big Sur yet?

Don't have a lot of time, unfortunately - rather looing to get a stable installation for the next years. Sierra is working 99% here - only exception is shutdown/restart, but I hardly use that anyways.

I'm afraid you will have problems with your Nvidia graphics card on anything later than Mojave. I bit the bullet and moved to and AMD GPU. Re fusion drive i believe the installer will spot it is not a full ssd and not convert it to apfs, but just in case i would force hfs+ given the choice. on my ud5 with an amd580 gpu i can run Mojave great, I can also run Catalina but sleep does not seem to work, and you need to fiddle with the smbios to get it to install.

• Like 1

Thank you for this very helpful answer! So if I update, I'll most definitely get an RX570. Question is, if it is worth investing and everything else will work. Would at least like to be able to get a close to 100% Catalina installation if I buy a new card, so I am good for a couple of years.

Concerning Fusion Drive, I already found out that while in High Sierra, FD and APFS were not compatible, since Mojave this should not be a problem anymore. Setup is said to be a little bit different, but I guess I'll figure that out.

@aikidoka25 Any success with Opencore and/or Big Sur yet? Or should I stick with Clover for now? Does sleep and wake work in your Catalina install with clover?

PS: 11 years after buying my system I realise, Gigabity actually meant "Ultra Durable" :D 

On 11/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, itdoesnotwork said:

Thank you for this very helpful answer! So if I update, I'll most definitely get an RX570. Question is, if it is worth investing and everything else will work. Would at least like to be able to get a close to 100% Catalina installation if I buy a new card, so I am good for a couple of years.

Concerning Fusion Drive, I already found out that while in High Sierra, FD and APFS were not compatible, since Mojave this should not be a problem anymore. Setup is said to be a little bit different, but I guess I'll figure that out.

@aikidoka25 Any success with Opencore and/or Big Sur yet? Or should I stick with Clover for now? Does sleep and wake work in your Catalina install with clover?

PS: 11 years after buying my system I realise, Gigabity actually meant "Ultra Durable" :D 

soory i made typo in my reply, the last os to support webdrivers for nivida gpus is high sierra, ie with Mojave onwards you could well have issues.

3 minutes ago, jhrfc said:

soory i made typo in my reply, the last os to support webdrivers for nivida gpus is high sierra, ie with Mojave onwards you could well have issues.

Geforce GT 710 works natively in Big Sur and Catalina

1 minute ago, chris1111 said:

Geforce GT 710 works natively in Big Sur and Catalina

yes if the card supports metal, and is a card that can use the official apple Nvidia drivers you are ok, anything that needed nvidia's own webdrivers to work, will not work on Mojave or later.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, jhrfc said:

yes if the card supports metal, and is a card that can use the official apple Nvidia drivers you are ok, anything that needed nvidia's own webdrivers to work, will not work on Mojave or later.

Cheers

Support metal of course :D

1788834666_Capturedcranle2020-11-2811_16_00.png.01693beec89ed3dd40afff706fb8d430.png

• Like 1