4496 replies to this topic

VirusX

VirusX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you everdone and Cosmin Petre.

I installed the OS X Base System on an extra partition of my testbed-HD and installed from there to the other partition. Works fine although coming from D_D's script v5 it was a bit confusing a first. But I can see and appreciate the improvements of having the hackinstaller on the boot disk. Thanks again D_D for your script.

First I tried an install with all the standard kexts D_D is providing as a standard setup with his installer. Network, Audio, etc worked but sleep and shutdown didn't. I also used a new DSDT made with his script. But Before I looked more into the sleep issue, I decided to give the old patched DSDT from CruiSAr a try.

I left only the
- IONetworkingFamily.kext and the FakeSMC.kext in /Extra
- AppleRTC.kext in /System (I noted that down over a year ago - I don't know if that's still necessary)

and copied the DSDT to /Extra. Rebooted and sleep works fine (checked 'start up automatically after a power failure' in Energy Saver Settings).
Networking and Audio works too although I have now less audio devices available. Stereo output and digital output (only tested stereo).
Maybe I'll play around a bit with the different audio kexts but since I probably only need stereo output, I should be fine.

Next step: install ML on my working environment.

Thanks again all of you.

Cheers,

Maxim

Windows04

Windows04

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Windows04,
Yes, the Chameleon buildbot has been offline for quite a few months now. I've complained about this at the voodooprojects.org forums and they are aware of the situation. No timeline has been offered as for when it will be available. I don't know what appears to be the problem.

As for the Chimera link. Well, the tonymacx86.com site keeps changing the links and access methods. I believe I've reworked and reworked this portion several times, only to have it changed again. So, for the present time, I suggest going to the actual site and downloading it from their download page.
Make sure you are a registered member of tonymacx86. I just noticed that my login no longer works there.

All that work on the update feature seems to have gotten nowhere. :wallbash:

As for the compiling issues (if you are compiling in ML), make sure you read the previous page in this thread, as it offers tips on getting it working in ML.

kind regards,
MAJ

Allright, thanks :D, will do that ;).

LeifErikson

LeifErikson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
having some issues with my 10.6.8 install, it wont boot and I get a "No OS Set yet" 'kernel panic' when trying to boot. I've tried reinstalling bootloader (same i've used, i believe, Chameleon v2.0 RC5r691) installed kexts from v6.06 script and DSDT patch and no luck.

I tried to make a 10.8 boot disk with the latest script but with no luck...script hangs in the middle of the process...

I just want my 10.6.8 up and running, it's been at least 2 days with this issue.

my com.apple.boot.plist:
&--#60;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&--#62;
&--#60;!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"&--#62;
&--#60;plist version="1.0"&--#62;
&--#60;dict&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;EthernetBuiltIn&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;Yes&--#60;/string&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;Graphics Mode&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;1280x1024x32&--#60;/string&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;GraphicsEnabler&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;Yes&--#60;/string&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;Kernel&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;mach_kernel&--#60;/string&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;Kernel Flags&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;-v arch=i386&--#60;/string&--#62;
	&--#60;key&--#62;Timeout&--#60;/key&--#62;
	&--#60;string&--#62;1&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;/dict&--#62;
&--#60;/plist&--#62;

Edited by LeifErikson, 08 August 2012 - 03:06 AM.

Sidewinder33

Sidewinder33

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Hello everybody!

It's been a good while since I posted anything here. Glad to see this thread is still quite alive...

I installed Mountain Lion over Lion on a maintenance drive on my GA-EX58-UD5 (now upgraded from a Core i7 920 to a 990x). On Lion, I'm running a heavily customized dsdt.aml that allows me to boot with only fakesmc and ionetworkingfamily .kext. I attempted to replicate this setup with Mountain Lion. Pretty much everything works except sleep (didn't get to try reboot). Upon waking from sleep, the systems restarts with the old CMOS reset bug (an old friend I haven't seen for a while).

I didn't update my dsdt.aml when I upgraded to the 990x (everything seemed to work in Lion so I didn't bother). I did have to update my smbios.plist though since the App Store didn't want to allow me to purchase Mountain Lion. I'm now identifying my hack as a MacPro5,1 (serial and everything relevant has been modified to match). I'll have to test to see if this is not the cause of the issue (mismatches between dsdt.aml patches and MacPro model).

Before I get rid of the dsdt.aml that worked for me for so long, I was wondering if anybody had any similar issues and/or some pointers for me to explore.

MAJ, thanks again for you great script!

Colddiver

Hey Cold I'm right there with you, probably the same DSDT, CruiSAr's from a few years back. Its been working great, but doesn't appear to be too happy with M/L, I could be wrong, but I think DD's script now implements a lot of the same edits that Charles did.

DD out of curiosity does your DSDT patcher allow for native power management? If I recall you are running pretty close to vanilla OSX.

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Sidewinder33,

Indeed, I'm still using CruiSar's DSDT. After playing with my setuy a little longer, I can attest that CruiSar's DSDT actually seems to be working OK with Mountain Lion as long as you patch Apple RTC (google for a patch that is specific to ML as the one in Lion won't work and don't forget to rebuild caches after patching) and check "Restart automatically after a power failure" in Energy Saver prefs (otherwise, you will get the CMOS reset). I've been trying to get some overclocking done on the 990x (while also getting native power management) and I didn't get anywhere yet. None of the changes I did resulted in improved Geekbench scores (with the same settings I had for the 920, my GB score is now in the 13000 range with the 990x). Never overclocked a CPU before so I guess I have some learning to do (all I learned now is that I need to have the P-States and C-States generated by Chameleon whenever I overclock so that the ones in the DSDT will be ignored).

Colddiver

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

DD out of curiosity does your DSDT patcher allow for native power management? If I recall you are running pretty close to vanilla OSX.

No. It still requires a couple mods. One for LPC, IIRC.

I'd like to go add this stuff in someday (heh), so all can have native power management OOB.

MAJ

having some issues with my 10.6.8 install, it wont boot and I get a "No OS Set yet" 'kernel panic' when trying to boot. I've tried reinstalling bootloader (same i've used, i believe, Chameleon v2.0 RC5r691) installed kexts from v6.06 script and DSDT patch and no luck.

I tried to make a 10.8 boot disk with the latest script but with no luck...script hangs in the middle of the process...

I just want my 10.6.8 up and running, it's been at least 2 days with this issue.

Going to need more info.
Are you installing a SleepEnabler.kext? If so, remove it.

At what point does the script hang when creating a boot disk? Boot creation is a very long process.

Did you have a running 10.6.8 install prior to this point?
At what point did you start developing issues? After a update?

kind regards,
MAJ

LeifErikson

LeifErikson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Going to need more info.
Are you installing a SleepEnabler.kext? If so, remove it.

At what point does the script hang when creating a boot disk? Boot creation is a very long process.

Did you have a running 10.6.8 install prior to this point?
At what point did you start developing issues? After a update?

kind regards,
MAJ

I worked it out, seems like I had to specify pmVersion=0 - I was running 10.6.8 and it started randomly developing these issues, It just refused to boot one day and that's after I started troubleshooting.

As for the script hanging, it would hang using the BASH commands but i tried a 5th time today and it seemed to work perfectly thanks

iLLNESS

iLLNESS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
okay so i've got ML running on my EX58-UD5/GTX260 and everything appears to be working fine but i'm not %100 sure.

I have ALC885_ALC889a.kext and AppleHDA.kext in the folder for system as well as RTC/SMC/IONetworking for Extra.

I've run my DSDT through the patcher in your script, App Store/etc all works. But i'm curious if IONetworking or any of the audio kexts are needed with the DSDT patching.

I've noticed my CPU fan runs a bit higher then normal compared to windows, is this normal? is there any ways to properly test that my DSDT has been properly patched for CPU/video/etc?

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
iLLNESS,

To my knowledge, there is no way to make the EX58-UD5 onboard network work through the DSDT. If you really do not want to have the extra kext, your only option is to get an Apple USB-to-Ethernet adaptor.

For audio, you can make it work through DSDT. See http://www.insanelym...howtopic=196771 for details.

Edit: corrected the link!

Colddiver

iLLNESS

iLLNESS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
you sure thats the right link? :)

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
iLLNESS,

Sorry about that! I corrected the link in my previous post (was missing a 1 at the end of the topic ID).

Colddiver

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi all,
Just to say i've installed using the script on my ud5 fine. only gotchas where i had to inject the graphics properties via an efi string rather than graphicsenabler=yes.
used same dsdt i've been using since snow leopard. but changed smbios.plist to be a macpro5,1 from of 4,1.
Reapplied edits/patches to get cpupowermanagement, non apple trim support, and fix for CMOS reset after sleep.
Good work DD!
Jon

PunkNugget

PunkNugget

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired
  • 199 posts
Hi Digital D:

I have a question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have had some great assistance with installing - Hackinstaller to have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 up and running on my main 240GB SSD. My only question that I have is how to make an EXACT duplicate bootable copy of that SSD so I can keep an extra backup, in case something happens to my original working copy of Mac OS X 10.6.7? I have tried using Disk Utility (DU) and so far nothing that I'm trying is working to make that happen. Can you help with using DU or any other app that can make that happen? Thanks... :)

BTW, great work on setting up your initial post here; very thorough... B)

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff

Hi Digital D:

I have a question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have had some great assistance with installing - Hackinstaller to have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 up and running on my main 240GB SSD. My only question that I have is how to make an EXACT duplicate bootable copy of that SSD so I can keep an extra backup, in case something happens to my original working copy of Mac OS X 10.6.7? I have tried using Disk Utility (DU) and so far nothing that I'm trying is working to make that happen. Can you help with using DU or any other app that can make that happen? Thanks... :)

Carbon Copy Cloner does a good job, or you can do a bit for bit copy in Terminal using dd command. The basic command would be:

dd if=/dev/"name of HD to be copied" of=/dev/"name of HD your copying too"

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Digital D:

I sent a PM, but I'll quote part of my reply here as well:
The way I've always made a bootable copy of my boot drive is selecting the drive/partition in Disk Utility and then "File" --> "New" --> "Disk image from <name of drive/partition>" The default is a compressed archive and that works fine.

If your /Extra directory is on the boot drive, then everything is there. You would just need to restore the image to the drive in question and install the bootloader. The restore won't install the bootloader on the drive sector.
If the /Extra directory is on a EFI partition, I'd would just reinstall the bootloader, kexts, DSDT, etc. after restoring the image.

This has always worked for me, as I have to do this rather frequently to test different setups for my script - RAID, EFI installs, EFI on RAID, etc.

best of wishes,
MAJ

Edit: Had to remove all sorts of weird formatting

d70

d70

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
I'm at lost here. I justing installed ML using the latest version of this script (7.1) last Friday. At first, shutdown didn't work so I used the script to add OpenHaltRestart to /Extra and /S/L/E. It seemed to resolve my shutdown issue. However, since yesterday, the shutdown issue has come back and OpenHaltRestart doesn't seem to do the job anymore. Please advise.

Basically, the screen goes black but the fan in the case still spins.

EDIT: Bootloader is Chameleon version that came with script 7.1 since it wasn't able to get anything newer online.

bastardizer

bastardizer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hi all, I have a GA EX58UD5 that Ive run as a hack dual boot for several years. OSX 10.6.4
I followed the original digital dreamer leopard thread at the time.
I decided to not mess with what works so I stayed there...
Now my daughter decided that it was to old and ran a Apple software update to 10.6.8 without asking...
After a reboot it wont start anymore, and as its been a long time since i dabbled I dont really know what's the best way forward.

I would prefer not to have to restart all over though. to many programs and stuff to trash it.
The Chameleon bootloader is still active and can see the OSX partition, but when I try to boot it it gives me aKP when loading the CPU power managment kext ( I think)
I'm still dual booting with W7 but I dont have access to another mac at the moment.

Ideas or suggestions on how to proceed much appreciated!

iLLNESS

iLLNESS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
for anyone who hasn't yet for whatever reason, upgrading to 10.8.1 is seamless if you're on a working 10.8.0 setup. nothing lost afaik.

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I noticed that after installing mountian lion on my ud5 mobo using the script. The dvd eject key no longer worked, and dvd player software claimed not to find a drive. After a bit of searching i found that the dvd drive needed injecting in IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.
add the entry below to the kexts info.plist and re-install the kext and rebuild the caches using the script, the eject key and dvd player will then work.
Thanks
Jon

<key>IOAHCISerialATAPI</key>
  <dict>
   <key>ATAPI</key>
   <true/>
		  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
   <key>IOClass</key>
   <string>IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
   <key>IOProbeScore</key>
   <integer>25000</integer>
		  <key>IOProviderClass</key>
   <string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
   <key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
   <dict>
    <key>Physical Interconnect</key>
    <string>SATA</string>
    <key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
    <string>Internal</string>
   </dict>
  </dict>

itdoesnotwork

itdoesnotwork

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Question to you guys running 10.8/10.8.1: Is the OS on EX58-UD5 completely stable (comparable to Lion)?
Running 10.7.4 right now and almost everything works (i7 920, GTX 260, MBR Dual Boot, no RAID). Just asking because I ran into a lot of work and need a stable system. Can't stop thinking of Mountain Lion though, there just too many nice features ;)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy