[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi Krofa:

I want to tell you in my own experience basis.

I think that the ICH10 needs to be enabled because it controls communication with PCI and PCI Express Slots. I can tell you that integrated USB Ports works just fine. I've never tested the onboard LAN, i bought a Sonned PCIe adapted, and i found that the CPU had double cold boot restarts and the origin of the problem was that card, mine was basic edition.

For wireless some people suggest an Apple original Airport Minicard using an adapted, i bought a Sonnet PCI Aria Extreme N, and it works fine.

For the video card, even if you buy a native Macintosh one, you still will need to use an EFI string because a normal PC Bios can't read all EFI parameters on it. In this case i got an Nvidia 9800GT and with an EFI string is working fine. For Firewire 800 i got a OWC 3 Port Firewire 800 card and removed the last portion of pins to make it fit a PCI slot and it works.

For mission critical i thing that you simply mean that you don't wanna loose your data on have continuous problems. I suggest you to go for the Firewire and Network Cards, also try to get a good external audio card and you are ready.

I updated to 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 and all the software updates for Logic and Adobe and all the products works fine.

Hey, wondering if someone can tell me how to update my bootloader? I'm currently using Netkas' PC-EFI 10.3 and want to upgrade to 10.5. I downloaded the 'boot' file from his blog - I assume that's the only thing I need to update. Although I'm not sure you go about mounting/managing the EFI partition.

Also I really need to know if by doing this it will change the active partition etc. - reason is I have Windows 7 and 10.6.2 installed to the same drive and setting up each partition to work with Chameleon is quite tedious, don't really wanna have to do it again.

Hey guys,

Got a little problem after updating to 10.6.2. My graphics card (evga 9800 GTX+) doesn't seem to work properly. It doesn't work with any dvi-hdmi connections anymore. dvi-vga works fine, but is a little messed up in 1920x1080 (off center and looks like its 4:3). I was using the 9800GTX EFI string but have also tried a couple different kexts to no avail (still need to try the Nvidia.rom method). Other people (link) appear to be experiencing the same problem. Just wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions??

Thanks

DarkD

be sure to check all possible locations for the boot.plist maybe its not loading the graphics string.

be sure to check all possible locations for the boot.plist maybe its not loading the graphics string.

Yep, it seems to be loading it. Without the device string or a compatible kext it uses 800x600 at login (not to mention choppy graphics). Can't really think of anything in the 10.6.2 update that would break only some of the functionality of my graphics card (mainly the dvi-hdmi) even with the EFI string....... but break it did :) .

DD, I have had a flawless Leopard installation for a long time, but cannot seem to get the new script to work? I have reformatted my backup drive and tried a clean install on a fresh partition titled "Snow Leopard" using the Snow Leopard retail upgrade disk I purchased. It always fails, and states the following error: Install Failed: The Installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/Snow Leopard". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go into "Customize" and disable some of the installable options, like printers. Installing SL from Leopard creates some issues on this installer. I just turn them all off. Now, if you were in SL, all installable options would install without error.

MAJ

here is a LegacyHDA whats should be used in EVGA x58 SLI Mobo the one in your script doesnt work.Use the one I attached in /Extra/Extension and rebuild mkext using kext utility 2.3.2

note you will need to patch your dsdt.aml with the following and should have stock applehda.kext in /S/L/E

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

Confirmed working on both of my mobo's and few people in forums.

Cool. Thanks for including that. I'll be sure to include it in the next update.

MAJ

Hey, wondering if someone can tell me how to update my bootloader? I'm currently using Netkas' PC-EFI 10.3 and want to upgrade to 10.5. I downloaded the 'boot' file from his blog - I assume that's the only thing I need to update. Although I'm not sure you go about mounting/managing the EFI partition.

Also I really need to know if by doing this it will change the active partition etc. - reason is I have Windows 7 and 10.6.2 installed to the same drive and setting up each partition to work with Chameleon is quite tedious, don't really wanna have to do it again.

If you have my very latest update 4.2c, it will allow you to update to PC-EFI 10.5 easily.

If doing so manually, that boot file just needs to replace the existing boot file in the root directory. If using EFI boot, just mount that partition and replace the existing file like so: if boot file is located on your desktop:

sudo cp -f ~/Desktop/boot /Volumes/EFI

EDIT: Oh, and it shouldn't affect your existing Win 7 setup. I'm running Win 7 and 10.6.1 (not 10.6.2, yet) with the PC-EFI 10.5 bootloader and everything's peachy.

best regards,

MAJ

Hey Steve - I see what you are saying. I guess I am/was hoping to keep as much as the "just works" principal in tact. After having spent years with driver compatibility issues building 50 some PCs including my music machines, I just want to stay away from that BS. I know - "just get a real Mac then" right. Well, I did love the OC process and the price/performance gains of it.

Also, thanks for the avoid blue ATi based designs tip. Do you know if something similar is happening with the nVidia cards?

Especially after reading antovasa's post below, I'm now less enthusiastic and little more cautious about the "keep it compatible OoB" idea. Reading more about the OSx86 process gets me to see things in a different light as well...

Hi Krofa:

I want to tell you in my own experience basis.

Thanks antovasa for sharing your experience. By mission critical I mean two things; 1. when I was on the PC as a home studio DAW, I had to deal with endless issues and tweaks; I ended up doing less music and more troubleshooting sometimes. With my switch to the Mac last year, it has been almost the complete opposite except for the USB issues that my MBP exibited. I don't want to find my self in a situation again where I am troubleshooting instead of making music! <_< 2. This machine, if it works and plays well, might end up in a pro studio where suddenly it's no longer your own time that you are wasting if something were to go wrong. Hence the care and precaution and willingness to spend a little more for out of box compatibility. Anyhow, the idea is still worth pursuing thinking that I could build a 16GB i7 DAW running happily at 3.6 GHz with an SSD system disk and quality silence oriented components for the price of an entry level Mac Pro or less.

Comments:

- Your EFI / Graphics comment makes perfect sense! Thanks for clearing that!

- Sonnet notes its GbE PCIe series as incompatible with the PCIe 2.0 slots of the Early 2008 MP and incompatible altogether with the latest MP. Maybe they do have an issue with the PCIe 2.0 spec - odd.

The big question though:

Do you guys think aiming at professional services usage for a hackintosh is sort of a pipe dream to begin with? Would you, after your experience with your own hacks, trust them to stand by you in critical situations?

Best,

Krofa.

Do you guys think aiming at professional services usage for a hackintosh is sort of a pipe dream to begin with? Would you, after your experience with your own hacks, trust them to stand by you in critical situations?

Best,

Krofa.

Personally I say No and Yes respectively. Just resist the temptation to fiddle and do make backups

Getting to that stage may take you some investment in time though

But if in doubt get a real mac

Has anyone had issues with any of the sleepenablers?

I got the main side working really solid up to 10.6.1 then I clone it and test on another partition. When I go through the steps with the new sleepenabler it will never boot. I have done many variations as well with it.

So I ask where do I put the new sleepenabler before the install? I have put it in the /extras folder and rebuilt the cache, I've deleted it from there and put it in the main system extensions and various other random ways. I even dropped it in DD kext folder and ran the script and installed straight to the partition. Always seems to hang on the sleepenabler.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

I am on a UD3R board but up to this point it has been minor kext swaps to get everything right.

Chameleon 2 RC3 is what I am using as well.

Install without the sleepenabler kext, if everything is working, then you can go ahead and install the sleepenabler kext. You can download the one in my post, works without any problems, juct click on the link in my signature.

I'm thinking about ditching my Mac Pro 2006, specs:

Two Dual Core Xeons @ 2.66GHz

8GB ECC DDR2 667MHz

In favor of an i7 hackintosh:

Intel i7 Quad 920 2.66GHz

6GB DDR3 1600MHz

I would get the Gigabyte X58 UD5 motherboard since it seems pretty straightforward and not many hiccups.

I would move my GPU (flashed 4890) and SSD from my Mac Pro to this new build.

I would probably be able to sell my Mac for almost the price of this build.

I would have to pay ~300$ extra.

So 300$ for this upgrade. Is it worth it?

Could I overclock my 920 to, let's say, 4GHz? on air?

When up and running, can the stability of this Hackintosh be close to my Mac Pro?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Got a little problem after updating to 10.6.2. My graphics card (evga 9800 GTX+) doesn't seem to work properly. It doesn't work with any dvi-hdmi connections anymore. dvi-vga works fine, but is a little messed up in 1920x1080 (off center and looks like its 4:3). I was using the 9800GTX EFI string but have also tried a couple different kexts to no avail (still need to try the Nvidia.rom method). Other people (link) appear to be experiencing the same problem. Just wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions??

Thanks

DarkD

I have this same card. I followed CrusAir's method and just added the EFI string using DD's script. No kexts required. It works great.

I have this same card. I followed CrusAir's method and just added the EFI string using DD's script. No kexts required. It works great.

What kind of connection are you using? From my research into the problem, it only seems to happen when using a dvi/hdmi connection (though it did work in 10.6.1). I'm using a vga cable right now until i can find a fix.

Help Please...I've tried to read and follow several different install methods..and with the DD install I still can't boot and always hang up at;

"AppleTyMCEDriver:start coreVIDPID = Oxfffffff Number of packages =1 Number of cpus= 8 memory monitor trough MCA"

i have been trying for a 2 days trying to get some kind of boot into osx and never have any success....wearing me out....

Thank you everyone!

Help Please...I've tried to read and follow several different install methods..and with the DD install I still can't boot and always hang up at;

"AppleTyMCEDriver:start coreVIDPID = Oxfffffff Number of packages =1 Number of cpus= 8 memory monitor trough MCA"

i have been trying for a 2 days trying to get some kind of boot into osx and never have any success....wearing me out....

Thank you everyone!

That is the last line before the desktop should appear. You need to install the proper kexts for the 4870 card, as it won't work out of the box. See netkas.org site for more info.

MAJ

Firstly, Thankyou DD for a great post.

I have everything working apart from my GTX 260.

I've trawled many sites and tried for 4 days now, even done french translations! and I'm asking for some help.

Used the guide here to get video working with graphics enabler to yes. But not fully operational with the card.

If graphics enabler is out I get black screen syndrome towards end of boot.

I've got the GFX Strings for the GTX260, added my correct PCI in there and posted the <key>device..... <string>cd00..... into the com.apple.boot.plist using EFI Studio to no avail. (With the enabler off.)

Posted to the com.apple.boot.... in the extra folder. The black screen occurs with or without Graphics enabler.

Same goes for putting it in the system folder. Am I doing this wrong?

DSDT is set for my system if that info helps.

I've gone back to 10.6.1 at mo to see if that helps. But nada. Same.

Are there any drivers I need to install too? String placement correct?

Need help in what to do.

Help me obi one. You're my only hope! :pirate2:

Hi everyone!

All is fine for me in 10.6.2 no – sleep and everything.

But even since Leopard I've had trouble with my optical drive which is a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D.

I get

The disc can’t be used because the disc drive is not supported (error code 0x80020025).

when trying to eject in certain occasions. The only way to ”get functionality back” that I know of when this has happened is to do a restart. ;)

Anything that can be done or do I have to replace the drive with another?

What brands/models are known to work well?

That is the last line before the desktop should appear. You need to install the proper kexts for the 4870 card, as it won't work out of the box. See netkas.org site for more info.

MAJ

Thank you! I know I'll need to get to the site....but am vague on the install even with your wonderful work. Do I do it in the "load kexts" (#5 I believe)..and do I remove others so there's no conflict. OR is there a guide on how to do it? Can't thank you enough... and am on my way to netkas...but if you do have time to answer a rather newbie's question I feel like I may finally be getting close!

Okay have the nati kext for the ati 4870...now how to i install it with DD's mobo patch program. Step 5..install kexts? But how would I direct the program to find it? Or would I put the kext in the 10.6 folder somewhere before I load kexts?

Thank you and looking forward to a response...!!!!

MAJ

Thank you DD .!!!!!..have nati kext file..how do I intall with x58 mobo patch ..drop in 10.6 folder? Wasn't sure how to direct the program (step 5?) to find the kext...

I've got the GFX Strings for the GTX260, added my correct PCI in there and posted the <key>device..... <string>cd00..... into the com.apple.boot.plist using EFI Studio to no avail. (With the enabler off.)

Posted to the com.apple.boot.... in the extra folder. The black screen occurs with or without Graphics enabler.

Need help in what to do.

Help me obi one. You're my only hope! :)

If you have generated Efi strings for your card and included it in your boot plist then copy your boot plist from extra to Library/Preferences/Sytemconfiguration and replace the boot plist file in that folder with the one from your extra folder.

if that doesnt work, drop ATY_Init kext into S/L/E, build boot cache and boot in 32 bit mode.

Thank you DD .!!!!!..have nati kext file..how do I intall with x58 mobo patch ..drop in 10.6 folder? Wasn't sure how to direct the program (step 5?) to find the kext...

Drop the kext into the 10.6 folder under Graphics

Firstly, Thankyou DD for a great post.

I have everything working apart from my GTX 260.

I've trawled many sites and tried for 4 days now, even done french translations! and I'm asking for some help.

Used the guide here to get video working with graphics enabler to yes. But not fully operational with the card.

If graphics enabler is out I get black screen syndrome towards end of boot.

Same goes for putting it in the system folder. Am I doing this wrong?

DSDT is set for my system if that info helps.

I've gone back to 10.6.1 at mo to see if that helps. But nada. Same.

Are there any drivers I need to install too? String placement correct?

Need help in what to do.

Help me obi one. You're my only hope! :)

Read Post #661 and Post #1049

1. Use PC EFI 10.5 bootloader and install ATY_Init.kext to /S/L/E

2. Read Post #1049. Create clean DSDT by booting without one in /Extra and run DD's script to create new DSDT.

3. Once you get GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.boot.plist working, remove ATY_Init.kext from /S/L/E

I installed 10.6.2 ithout deleting sleepenabler.kext - and am having the KP.

Ive tried deleting the files from system/library and /extra using macdrive on another disk in the system - but it still hangs on booting in -s so I cant run the buildcache command.

any ideas??? thanks

Fixed! Went and bought a USB to SATA bridge to access via my akoya hack. Only thing is it it boots in verbose mode all the time - pages of stuff before gettin to the desktop.

I installed 10.6.2 ithout deleting sleepenabler.kext - and am having the KP.

Ive tried deleting the files from system/library and /extra using macdrive on another disk in the system - but it still hangs on booting in -s so I cant run the buildcache command.

any ideas??? thanks

When you have a system which boots with a KP because you didn't uninstall sleepenabler before the 10.6.2 update.

1) Download the disk image from muzzle.nl: http://www.kexts.com/view/153-gigabyte_ga-...)_usb_v3.1.html. This diskimage doesn't have the sleepenabler.kext and works on 10.6.2.

2) Erase your usb drive as Mac Os Extended (journaled) and restore this diskimage to it (can be done from any mac/hackintosh).

3) Now you need to install the chameleon bootloader to it. This can only be done with the terminal (because if you use a pkg installer, it will overwrite the Extra directory of the usb drive).

Download boot1h and boot0 from this message and unzip them.

4) For this example, the usb drive is "diskXsY", but be sure to change the values to what you're usb drive is (you can check this in disk utility, by selecting your usb drive and clicking on the info button. Then you will see "diskXsY" at Disk Identifier).

5a) Open a terminal and type this:

sudo fdisk -f (path to boot0) -u -y /dev/rdiskX

Change X to the value of your usb stick!

5b) Then type:

sudo dd if=(path to boot1h) of=/dev/rdiskXsY

Change X and Y to the values of your usb stick!

6) Boot from this usb drive into your install. Then you can delete the old sleepenabler.kext, install the new sleepenabler.kext and update the caches. Then you won't need the usb drive anymore.

This has worked with my install (ga-ex58-ud5 with a radeon 4870). This usb image uses the Graphicsenabler from netkas so some graphics cards are supported. If yours doesn't work, try booting with -x.

EDIT: Updated diskimage to version 3.1:

- No need to copy boot (it's included in the diskimage)

- Now using graphicsenabler from netkas to support more graphics cards.

- You can now download boot0 and boot1h seperately

boot0.zip

boot1h.zip

When you have a system which boots with a KP because you didn't uninstall sleepenabler before the 10.6.2 update.

1) Download the disk image from muzzle.nl (dutch): http://www.kexts.com/view/134-gigabyte_ga-..._usb__v3.0.html. This diskimage doesn't have the sleepenabler.kext and works on 10.6.2.

2) Restore this diskimage to a usb drive (can be done from any mac/hackintosh).

3) Now you need to install the chameleon bootloader to it. This can only be done with the terminal (because if you use a pkg installer, it will overwrite the Extra directory of the usb drive).

Download the Files.zip of this message (this zip files includes the files boot, boot0 and booth1).

4) For this example, the usb drive is "diskXsY", but be sure to change the values to what you're usb drive is (you can check this in disk utility, by selecting your usb drive and clicking on the info button. Then you will see "diskXsY" at Disk Identifier).

5a) Open a terminal and type this:

sudo fdisk -f (path to boot0) -u -y /dev/rdiskX

Change X to the value of your usb stick!

5b) Then type:

sudo dd if=(path to booth1) of=/dev/rdiskXsY

Change X and Y to the values of your usb stick!

6) Then copy boot to the root of the usb drive.

7) Boot from this usb drive into your install. Then you can delete the old sleepenabler.kext, install the new sleepenabler.kext and update the caches. Then you won't need the usb drive anymore.

This has worked with my install (ga-ex58-ud5 with a radeon 4870). If you have another graphics card than the radeon 4870, you need to install your own drivers/enablers to the usb drive or boot with -x.

Thnks - I tried doing this - I thought it worked but on booting it just goes to my snow leopard install rather than booting from the flashdrive. I followed the instructions as written, things happened in terminal.

still scuppered

Thnks - I tried doing this - I thought it worked but on booting it just goes to my snow leopard install rather than booting from the flashdrive. I followed the instructions as written, things happened in terminal.

still scuppered

I have uploaded a new usb image (Boot v3.1) which is based of Emilo's installation. Please use this diskimage instead of the previous one for booting.

I think you're problem is that the Bios doesn't have the USB drive as the first boot disk. You can set the boot order in the bios (just set the USB stick as the first boot disk). Or when you're booting, press F12. You will get a boot menu. Click on hard drive and then on your usb stick and your computer will boot from the usb stick.

PLEASE update first to the new disk image. It seems that the old one gives problems (with my computer)...

This new image uses the Graphicsenabler from netkas pc-efi so some graphics cards are supported.

See original post for updated instructions.

Read Post #661 and Post #1049

1. Use PC EFI 10.5 bootloader and install ATY_Init.kext to /S/L/E

2. Read Post #1049. Create clean DSDT by booting without one in /Extra and run DD's script to create new DSDT.

3. Once you get GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.boot.plist working, remove ATY_Init.kext from /S/L/E

Ok done all this and works. Think I had it working like this before!!!!

Checked the GTX260 with Open GL Extension and it works well.

The second monitor isn't working from the other slot. Using an Apple Cinema Display too. doesn't wanna recognize it.

Any ideas there?

Thanks for your help. much appreciated. Same page confirmation is a good feeling!

UPDATE: Dumb bugger.... HDMI>DVI converter that came with GFX card doesn't work. Wrong connector! doh! Straight HDMI cable fixed the prob. GTX260 working 100% (Not at all happy with the 2 days spent trying to fix something thats a hardware problem! The joys!!!! Hopefully someone in need will find this helpful in a google and keep their hair!)

Confirm that GA-EX58-UD3R works with this Thread's methods.

Confirm that Gigabyte GV-N26OC-896I GTX260 works with this Thread with Dual Monitor support.

Gonna buy and sit another in later this week.

Audio works too (ALC888) if you boot into 64-bit mode. And use this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1277378

Many thanks for all your help guys.

All working at present time. :)

I have uploaded a new usb image (Boot v3.1) which is based of Emilo's installation. Please use this diskimage instead of the previous one for booting.

I think you're problem is that the Bios doesn't have the USB drive as the first boot disk. You can set the boot order in the bios (just set the USB stick as the first boot disk). Or when you're booting, press F12. You will get a boot menu. Click on hard drive and then on your usb stick and your computer will boot from the usb stick.

PLEASE update first to the new disk image. It seems that the old one gives problems (with my computer)...

This new image uses the Graphicsenabler from netkas pc-efi so some graphics cards are supported.

See original post for updated instructions.

Thanks will give this a try. I did change boot priority - sometimes the F12 list appears and sometimes it doesnt. Anyway will try again thanks for your help here.

I had made a CCC backup onto a partition on a separate hard drive - but cant work out how to restore or boot from it...?