[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I have been experiencing a few hiccups in the upgrade to 10.6.2. My system seems to be a pretty standard one (UD5 w/ 9E BIOS, i7-920@stock, 9800GTX+).

Everything was running great under 10.6.1... I am attaching a screen shot of the kext setup I had. No significant changes were made to the standard plists other than that I added a EFI string for LAN in order to get netflix streaming to work.

I upgraded my second (basically identical) partition to 10.6.2, following the instructions above. When I first booted in, my graphics were not working properly - according to system profiler, I only had 32MB VRAM.

I fixed this by moving ATY_init from Extra to System.

The next problem was that sleep did not work properly in 10.6.2. I believe there are two versions of SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 - one posted in this forum as well as other places, and one posted on netkas.org. Neither worked.

With the one posted here, the screen did turn on after wake from sleep, and with the netkas SleepEnabler, I get KP after wake from sleep.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I would really like to have sleep working in 10.6.2

post-478558-1257913679_thumb.png

After booting into SL succesfully, my GFX worked so did net I went to just update my screen resolution to my monitors settings. Then the screen turned all blue and nothing happend? Whenever I try to restart I get this same blue screen?

Any thoughts?

There is a fix I tried in Leopard so I am not so sure it will work in SL. Go to System/Library/PreferencePanes and move Displays.prefPane to your desktop or wherever you want and reboot. This will reset your display settings.

If you have your desktop after reboot, double click Displays.prefPane to reinstall the preferences pane to your system preferences. Removing the file from its original location uninstalls it from System Preferences.

You coluld also try booting in safe mode.

I have been experiencing a few hiccups in the upgrade to 10.6.2. My system seems to be a pretty standard one (UD5 w/ 9E BIOS, i7-920@stock, 9800GTX+).

Everything was running great under 10.6.1... I am attaching a screen shot of the kext setup I had. No significant changes were made to the standard plists other than that I added a EFI string for LAN in order to get netflix streaming to work.

I upgraded my second (basically identical) partition to 10.6.2, following the instructions above. When I first booted in, my graphics were not working properly - according to system profiler, I only had 32MB VRAM.

I fixed this by moving ATY_init from Extra to System.

The next problem was that sleep did not work properly in 10.6.2. I believe there are two versions of SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 - one posted in this forum as well as other places, and one posted on netkas.org. Neither worked.

With the one posted here, the screen did turn on after wake from sleep, and with the netkas SleepEnabler, I get KP after wake from sleep.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I would really like to have sleep working in 10.6.2

Your post is a bit confusing, do you have sleep working or not? I am asking because you stated that with the sleep enabler posted here, your screen did turn on after wake. Your kext setup looks fine to me.

Please be more specific with regards to sleep so I can probably help you find a solution

...The next problem was that sleep did not work properly in 10.6.2. I believe there are two versions of SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 - one posted in this forum as well as other places, and one posted on netkas.org. Neither worked.

I have the same problem with, screen does not turn on after wake, but I am using the latest SleepEnabler from Netkas. No KP.

After booting into SL succesfully, my GFX worked so did net I went to just update my screen resolution to my monitors settings. Then the screen turned all blue and nothing happens? Whenever I try to restart I get this same blue screen? But I get the Boot promt where I can choose Data or SL Drive?

Any thoughts?

After booting into SL succesfully, my GFX worked so did net I went to just update my screen resolution to my monitors settings. Then the screen turned all blue and nothing happens? Whenever I try to restart I get this same blue screen? But I get the Boot promt where I can choose Data or SL Drive?

Any thoughts?

I suggested a solution to your problem, scroll a bit up and read

I report success with tseug's installer on GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7). I used the installer to install Chameleon, generate DSDT (it has all required fixes), then I replaced /boot with the latest one from Netkas (10.5), I replaced the kexts in /Extra and kexts for audio in /S/L/E with those from DD's patch. This method has one big advantage, I don't know how tseug did that: you can just copy your kexts to /Extra/Extensions and reboot. You don't need to build any kext cache, all kexts from /Extra load automatically :(

You can find all my kexts bellow:

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/305423238/UD5_10.6.2.zip

Has anyone else noticed that computer sleep due to inactivity no longer works with the 10.6.2 sleepenabler? The display goes off but the fans continue to operate as if the computer is still on. It worked properly before I updated. Also, if I put the computer to sleep manually, the fans shutdown and everything works fine.

I suggested a solution to your problem, scroll a bit up and read

Thank you for the advice but how can I do that if I can't see my screen?

Also how do you boot safemode?

Oh an I forgot to mention when I boot I DO get the chameleon boot screen at which I can enter commands.

Thank you for the advice but how can I do that if I can't see my screen?

Also how do you boot safemode?

Oh an I forgot to mention when I boot I DO get the chameleon boot screen at which I can enter commands.

Well I suppose you will have take the HD out and connect it to another Mac or Hack running OSX.

To boot in safe mode, type -x at the chameleon GUI boot prompt. This ignores all cached

driver files (mkexts).

Has anyone else noticed that computer sleep due to inactivity no longer works with the 10.6.2 sleepenabler? The display goes off but the fans continue to operate as if the computer is still on. It worked properly before I updated. Also, if I put the computer to sleep manually, the fans shutdown and everything works fine.

Nope, I haven't noticed it, my system functions like it used to before and after the update. Which version of the sleep enabler are you using? There is more than one out there and some of them don't work.

Nope, I haven't noticed it, my system functions like it used to before and after the update. Which version of the sleep enabler are you using? There is more than one out there and some of them don't work.

I used the one from your updated post. Should I try another?

Hi, If you don't have sleepenabler installed, you should have no problem updating your system. Once you reboot, you might not hear the sound. If so, you just need to go to Sys Config and change sound back to Internal Speakers.

So if I just manually delete sleepenabler and rebuild the kextcache, I should be good to go to update to 10.6.2? (I don't use sleep either--maybe I should change my screen name to Insomnihack.)

I used the one from your updated post. Should I try another?

That works fine for me. I need to know which install method u used and what hardware you have and if you have a patched DSDT. You can also reset your power saving settings by doing the following

- delete: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.applePowerManagament.plist

- reboot and move the two sliders inside EnergySaver preferences as you wish

Your post is a bit confusing, do you have sleep working or not? I am asking because you stated that with the sleep enabler posted here, your screen did turn on after wake. Your kext setup looks fine to me.

Please be more specific with regards to sleep so I can probably help you find a solution

Sorry... There was a typo in my post, I meant that the screen does NOT turn on after wake.

I have the same problem with, screen does not turn on after wake, but I am using the latest SleepEnabler from Netkas. No KP.

Do you get KP if you try to plug in a USB device after the system wakes up? This happens to me every time with the netkas kext.

I just installed 10.6.2 and I have a couple of questions which I hope can be answered - I appreciate this may not be the right place to ask but they're fairly simple questions.

Firstly I noticed that my sound stopped working. I'm using the DSDT method and some 64-bit legacy kexts I found. My board is the UD3R so it has ALC888 audio. Anyone else experienced this problem?

My other question is regarding the new 64-bit Atheros drivers. I have an AirPort adapter from a MacBook installed with an adapter and it works fine in 32-bit but is not recognised at all in 64-bit. Is there something extra I need?

Thanks!

I just installed 10.6.2 and I have a couple of questions which I hope can be answered - I appreciate this may not be the right place to ask but they're fairly simple questions.

Firstly I noticed that my sound stopped working. I'm using the DSDT method and some 64-bit legacy kexts I found. My board is the UD3R so it has ALC888 audio. Anyone else experienced this problem?

My other question is regarding the new 64-bit Atheros drivers. I have an AirPort adapter from a MacBook installed with an adapter and it works fine in 32-bit but is not recognised at all in 64-bit. Is there something extra I need?

Thanks!

I had a problem also with the audio. I had to once again delete AppleHDA.kext and reinstall VoodooHDA. Then it worked again as normal.

I had a problem also with the audio. I had to once again delete AppleHDA.kext and reinstall VoodooHDA. Then it worked again as normal.

I seem to have fixed it now. I remembered I downloaded an AppleHDA/HDAEnabler combo a while back. Installed them and it works fine.

Thanks though.

Thanks!

10.6.2 has AirportAtheros21.kext located in IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns, just add there your Airport card dev-id.

Also, there is kext from Netka http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/AtherosFix.kext.zip to stop thinking about dev-id insertion after every update, just add your dev-id to it in two places and install to Extra mkext, the unique feature of it is ability to load old kext in 32-bit mode and new kext in 64-bit mode.

More info:

http://netkas.org/?p=279

http://netkas.org/?p=315

If anyone could shed some light on my close to perfect install. I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is my setup,

Core i7 920 2.66

12GB G-skill DDR3 Ram

EX58-UD5

Giga-Byte 9800GT 1GB

Whats working:

Ethernet

Sound with ALCFix from lifehacker thread

9800 GPU with string

Whats NOT:

Built-in Firewire (also, would photobooth work when figured out?)

G-skill Ram Running at 1033 (how to get to 1600, is it necessary?)

What I cannot explain:

Core 1 is maxxed out all the time hogging 25%.

process called "kernel_task" is listed in activity monitor.

My reset button on case, stopped working after BIOS update to F7.

What Bios firmware should I be using?

TEMPERATURES

What temps are your i7's running, with what app reading them.

Mine were in the late 40's celsius, Installed a Zalman CPU cooler, Now late 30's.

I do not think these are accurate readings using "temperature monitor". Bios reads 20's?

Next, I need to figure out Dual boot with Win 7 Ultimate.

and OVERCLOCK to 3.2 conservatively.

This Hackintosh is great fun but I am stuck with these questions. I have searched and searched here, but to no avail.

Any suggestions/solutions would be great matching my specs.

ALSO if you have any for me, I would gladly try my best to answer them.

Live long and prosper!

So if I just manually delete sleepenabler and rebuild the kextcache, I should be good to go to update to 10.6.2? (I don't use sleep either--maybe I should change my screen name to Insomnihack.)

Yes, as for a sleepenabler, you shouldn't have any problems. However, you may want to research nVidia 7xxx series cards in 10.6.2. I've seen some posts that the 7000 series isn't very user friendly in this latest update of OSX.

Yes, as for a sleepenabler, you shouldn't have any problems. However, you may want to research nVidia 7xxx series cards in 10.6.2. I've seen some posts that the 7000 series isn't very user friendly in this latest update of OSX.

Yikes--good tip, thanks, I hadn't seen that. For anybody running across this post, here's a thread on the 7xxx issue, which appears to be a 64-bit kernel thing (not a biggie for me since I'm perfectly happy at x32):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196874

If anyone could shed some light on my close to perfect install. I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is my setup,

Core i7 920 2.66

12GB G-skill DDR3 Ram

EX58-UD5

Giga-Byte 9800GT 1GB

Whats working:

Ethernet

Sound with ALCFix from lifehacker thread

9800 GPU with string

Whats NOT:

Built-in Firewire (also, would photobooth work when figured out?)

G-skill Ram Running at 1033 (how to get to 1600, is it necessary?)

What I cannot explain:

Core 1 is maxxed out all the time hogging 25%.

process called "kernel_task" is listed in activity monitor.

My reset button on case, stopped working after BIOS update to F7.

What Bios firmware should I be using?

TEMPERATURES

What temps are your i7's running, with what app reading them.

Mine were in the late 40's celsius, Installed a Zalman CPU cooler, Now late 30's.

I do not think these are accurate readings using "temperature monitor". Bios reads 20's?

Next, I need to figure out Dual boot with Win 7 Ultimate.

and OVERCLOCK to 3.2 conservatively.

This Hackintosh is great fun but I am stuck with these questions. I have searched and searched here, but to no avail.

Any suggestions/solutions would be great matching my specs.

ALSO if you have any for me, I would gladly try my best to answer them.

Live long and prosper!

I'm not an expert, but I'll give you info that I kinda know about.

First, with my room temperature being 75F, my computer runs around 38C idle no overclock (temp monitor) with my below sig setup specs. With overclock, my temps is somewhere around 65C. Are you using the updated fakesmc?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1309589

Kernal task runs all your drivers and stuff. It's normal. I'm running bios F9E. Make sure your your connections inside the computer is properly in and go through your bios. Sometimes with bio update, all your settings get reset.

Are you running in 32 or 64 bit? Maybe for firewire, try:

http://www.kexts.com/view/134-gigabyte_ga-..._usb__v3.0.html

10.6.2 Update

Using default D_D script Audio kexts (AppleHDA & HDAEnabler) in S/L/E.

After update to 10.6.2 no sound outputs.

System Profiler reports

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x1458A102
 Audio ID:	12
 Available Devices:

Anyone confirm this?

Typical, posted this then tried reinstalling kexts - Sound now working fine

I see that 10.6.2 seems to have installed a new ”AppleHDA.kext” which I guess is what disables audio.

AppleHDA.kext since 10.6.2 = version 1.7.4a1, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005-2009

AppleHDA.kext from D_D's script = version 1.4.0a22, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005-2007

Doesn't this mean we're missing out on bugfixes/updates?

I see my MacBook Pro with 10.6.2 has AppleHDA.kext = version 1.7.9a4, Copyright Apple Inc. 2005-2009

Any ideas on what's different between the versions and why?

my guess is Apple is going to continue to mess with hackintosh installs with each and every update. The Atom has been killed with an update so what's next? It may be the end of vanilla installs that can be updated without a problem...

Hmm

I had no issues with the 10.6.2 upgrade, everything is working as before e.g LAN, Timemachine, wake/sleep, BT, if

anything it seems to have fixed a few buglets from 10.6.1 as you would expect

I only use Apple's Audio kext's yet my sound is working as per real Mac with front speaker sound (not bothered about

surround sound)

I suspect any bugs are in peoples config or third party kexts, my setup isn't yet perfect but I'm trying to improve

the small issues I know about

steve