[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Nice... I'm in the UK though, and that adapter would cost $77 including posting and packing. I had a little look on Ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-AirPort-Extrem...1#ht_2152wt_941

That's the closest to the one you linked from the US. Will this solution work in Windows too? Thanks.

You could use Apple BootCamp drivers from Snow Leopard install DVD, but my Vista Ultimate 64bit, found and installed drivers automatically so I never bothered to use SL DVD.

I assume you understand that two parts have to be used in this solution: Mini PCI-E Card AR5BXB72 + MP2W adapter.

Does anyone run into kernel panic issues when using Transmission or Vuze?

I haven't had KP, but I'd get a pegged process that takes down the whole system eventually (usually in a few hours). I fiddled with this issue and started using utorrent, but noticed no change. Then, I switched out the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext I was using and went back to the RealtekR1000.kext and everything's been fine for the last couple weeks.

Testing complete!

There is certainly still a risk for the unprepared/uninformed.

I performed a fresh "carbon copy clone" of my boot drive to my backup and verified that it was fully bootable (boot-loader and OS X).

I booted back to my primary drive and ran Disk Warrior 4.2.

After the volume scan, I noted this "error:"

Disk: "40HBC0"!

Repaired the
Root
creation date!

Detected damaged
Boot Blocks
, they will be repaired AFTER replacing the directory

I applied the repairs and booted to the "repaired" drive.

Instead of my boot-loader, I saw this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: testing

boot0: error

I rebooted to my primary drive. Using the "DD Script" (does it have an official name?), I ran the "install bootloader" step.

One more reboot - my DW-reparied clone drive loaded its bootloader and OS X without a hitch.

What a handy script!

Regards,

Lyle

Awesome! So, we can use DW, as long as we reinstall the bootloader. Good going.

I need to come up with a decent name for the script. With the new P55 chipset out, having "X58 mobo" in the name doesn't fit anymore. Any suggestions out there? I was thinking D_D's Kitchen Sink or D_D's Heinz 57 or something. :)

Got bootloader detection built in, now. It'll recognize all versions of Chameleon from 1.012 up to RC3 and PC-EFI v10 to v10.4.

Running final testing phases for the USB drive install and pre-boot CD install.

MAJ

I think a good name would be D_D's Blender. I have used one or more versions of the script on a P35, P45, X58, G31M and the latest P55. It works on all except the P55, (not the script's fault) won't get past the bootloader - it seems the OS checks for the processor family and the present kernel doesn't recognize the i8xx family. Files load but once they load and processing starts, the computer reboots. The P55 will work with 10.5.7 using a voodoo kernel but not with a vanilla kernel.

I think a good name would be D_D's Blender. I have used one or more versions of the script on a P35, P45, X58, G31M and the latest P55. It works on all except the P55, (not the script's fault) won't get past the bootloader - it seems the OS checks for the processor family and the present kernel doesn't recognize the i8xx family. Files load but once they load and processing starts, the computer reboots. The P55 will work with 10.5.7 using a voodoo kernel but not with a vanilla kernel.

Perhaps you can try the New bootloader from Netkas

PC EFI V.10.5

# Added aserebln's patch for better cpu type detection, for example I dont need to add SMcputype key anymore

:)

Does anyone run into kernel panic issues when using Transmission or Vuze?

Just did. I launched Transmission for the first time in a while. I checked for updates and went from 1.73 to 1.75. My one torrent seeded 2 peers for about 2 minutes before the KP. There were no CPU spikes (like MAJ).

I'm running the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext (7/23/09, v2.02) in the form of a plugin to IONetworkingFamily.kext (5/24/09, v1.6.0).

I use this kext as it provides the cleanest OS trappings (displays nicely in Pref Pane and Network Utility) and it's Bonjour-friendly.

There's nothing very obvious in the logs prior to the KP. However, on reboot I noted these (excerpts):

10/21/09 8:16:04 AM DirectoryService[11] Improper shutdown detected

10/21/09 8:16:04 AM kernel Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

10/21/09 8:16:05 AM kernel systemShutdown false

Related to the shutdown from the KP, but not really helpful.

The last system.log entry I could find prior to the crash (contiguous):

Oct 21 08:12:54 osx86-i7 /Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/MacOS/Transmission[5020]: Warning: accessing obsolete X509Anchors.

Oct 21 08:14:32: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Oct 21 08:16:04 localhost DirectoryService[11]: Improper shutdown detected (after reboot)

From daily.out (network related):

Network interface status:

Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll

en0 1500 <Link#4> 00:24:1d:72:06:60 1812410 0 1131919 0 0

en0 1500 192.168.2 192.168.2.50 1812410 - 1131919 - -

en1 1500 <Link#5> 00:24:1d:72:06:62 0 0 0 0 0

I did note a few of these scattered about:

kernel AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT

Not being a fan of TIMEOUTs, I just now set my port to forced 1Gb, full-duplex.

I imagine all this is likely network related as I had a rare KP during a large (1GB+) copy from an XP machine on my home network. However, I'll run some heavier network tests and try to reproduce the KP (with and w/o the forced Ethernet setting).

Cheers,

Lyle

You could use Apple BootCamp drivers from Snow Leopard install DVD, but my Vista Ultimate 64bit, found and installed drivers automatically so I never bothered to use SL DVD.

I assume you understand that two parts have to be used in this solution: Mini PCI-E Card AR5BXB72 + MP2W adapter.

Yeah, I understood that. But I didn't find anywhere in the UK that had those parts, especially the mini PCI-E adapter.

Does it have to be that exact model of the Airport card?

Yeah, I understood that. But I didn't find anywhere in the UK that had those parts, especially the mini PCI-E adapter. Does it have to be that exact model of the Airport card?

It can be any Apple Airport Mini PCI-E card, but with other cards you have to check yourself for 64bit compatibility.

Mini PCI-E adapters are difficult to find and come in different shapes and sizes.

This one fits perfectly in very limited space available on GA-EX58-UD5 PCI-E x1 port.

The only inconvenience is that it is shipped from Taiwan.

In UK you can get complete kit: Dell - 1505 - Wireless Card - 802.11a/g/n - Mini card - European - Kit (555-10953)

It is known to work with apple drivers in 10.5, but I not sure if it also works with 10.6.

Link: http://search.dell.co.uk/1/2/2067-dell-150...ropean-kit.html

Updated on 11/11/09

For anyone interested, here is working 32/64 bit OSX 10.6.1 setup for GA-EX58-UD5.

(Plus 10.6.2 update guide at the bottom of this post)

Latest news: For the best, most complete setup created by d00d go here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771

Note: There is also method from CruiSAr not requiring DSDT patches and using EFI strings for video.

You can find it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1318922

In Post #1049 you will find some useful info for new GA-EX58-UD5 users.

Credits and thanks to: digital_dreamer, d00d, AROBASEFR, CruiSAr, LocusOfControl and others...

What works:

- S3 sleep in 32/64 bit modes

- Automatic sleep with: http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/.

- Wake from keyboard or mouse

- Onboard Lan, Bonjour in 32/64 bit with EthernetBuiltIn=yes in boot.plist & RealtekR1000SL.kext

- Low CPU temperatures with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- No more "USB Device Eject Error"

- 4out/2in Sound in 32/64 bit with Legacy HDA in /Extra and DSDT patch

- Video in 32/64 bit with GraphicsEnabler=yes in boot.plist

- Restart/Shutdown

- Firewire

- Tima Machine

To use attached DSDT, you need to replace whole Device (PCI0) section of my DSDT to match your Video Card.

Make sure "Device (PCI0)" in your DSDT has pciroot=1: Name (_UID, One)

Once you get GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.boot.plist working, remove ATY_Init.kext from /S/L/E.

1. F9E bios

2. PC EFI 10.5 bootloader from: http://netkas.org/?p=271

3. Attached patched DSDT

4. Attached boot playlist

5. Attached smbios playlist

6. Kexts

/Extra

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext (attached) (4out/2in sound in 32/64 bit with patched DSDT)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (Low CPU temps)

NVIDIA.ROM (Optional - your card original ROM or modified ROM for overclocking)

/S/L/E

ATY_Init.kext (for video in 32 and 64 bit, remove it after getting GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist to function)

RealtekR1000SL.kext (attached)

Steps for building your own DSDT:

1. Reboot without any DSDT in /Extra and then run DD's script to build one. Read post #1049

2. Apply HPET patch from d00d's Post #856

3. Apply PX40 patch from d00d's Post #856

4. Apply IDE1 & IDE2 patch (orange HD icons) from d00d's Post #563

5. Add Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized) hack to your DSDT.

6. Add the following code at the end of Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized) in your DSDT:

Return (Package (0x02)
			{
				Zero, 
				Zero
			})
		}

7. For working sound in 32/64 bit with attached LegacyHDA.kext:

- replace Device (AZAL) part of your DSDT with Device (HDEF) part of attached DSDT.

- search for any AZAL phrases in DSDT and replace them with phrase HDEF.

Or follow this thread: http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=213

How to update to 10.6.2:

- Delete existing SleepEnabler.kext located in /Extra, update caches and restart

- Install 10.6.2, update caches and restart

- After booting into OSX 10.6.2, install attached SleepEnabler_10.6.2_.kext to /Extra and update caches.

*** Sleep problems:

If sleep doesn't work properly (computer restarts or getting KP after awake)

- delete: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.applePowerManagament.plist

- reboot and move two sliders inside EnergySaver preferences to desired positions.

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked.

- reboot with -s and update caches with buildcache commannd.

Optional hardware:

1. Native Lan in 32/64 bit mode:

Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter for $40 - network adapter, Mfg. Part: EXPI9301CT

2. Native Wi-Fi Lan in 32/64 bit. You can use Apple's Airport N mini card with Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Wireless Adapter with 3 antenna WiFi.

For Wi-Fi Lan in 64 bit mode you need to update to OSX 10.6.2 and add card's dev-id to AirportAtheros21.kext.

Here is detailed procedure:

Drag /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to the desktop.

Right-click on IO80211Family.kext and choose Show Package Contents

Go to Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros21.kext

Right-click on AirportAtheros21.kext and choose Show Package Contents

Go to Contents and drag Info.plist over TextEdit application to open it.

Add following dev-id code <string>pci168c,24</string> just below <string>pci168c,2a</string>

Save file and close all windows.

Use KextHelper application to install modified IO80211Family.kext to /S/L/E.

Also, there is kext from Netka http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/AtherosFix.kext.zip to stop thinking about dev-id insertion after every update, just add your dev-id to it in two places and install to Extra mkext, the unique feature of it is ability to load old kext in 32-bit mode and new kext in 64-bit mode. More info: http://netkas.org/?p=279 and http://netkas.org/?p=315

- AR5BXB72 300M mini card: http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Apple-Macbook-Airpo...=item439b00c065

- Mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter with 3 antenna WiFi: http://shop.ebay.nl/messengerofcat/m.html?...p;_trksid=p4340

3. Internal USB EDC Boot Stick: http://www.innodisk.com/production.jsp?flashid=33

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

smbios.plist.zip

RealtekR1000SL.kext.2009_10_20.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

SleepEnabler_10.6.2_.kext.zip

c. Unable to wake-up computer from keyboard or mouse
Do you wake with the power button, and does sleep work in 32bit as well?

Did you trace the inability to sleep to using the built in RTL8111D NIC with either the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext or RealtekR1000.kext, or was it something else?

b. Bonjour not working with onboard LAN

I am not interested in promiscuity mode scripted fix.

Realtek's RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg (updated 32bit AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext) sets the PROMISC flag on en#, but I had a few KPs using it, so I went back to using the RealtekR1000.kext and Daniel U. Becker's /usr/local/bin/ifconfig/ifconfig and /Library/LaunchDaemons/localhost.setpromisc.plist solution.

Correct <string>/usr/local/bin/ifconfig</string> to <string>/usr/local/bin/ifconfig/ifconfig</string> in /Library/LaunchDaemons/localhost.setpromisc.plist, or put ifconfig in /usr/local/bin instead.

A way to get PROMISC with RealtekR1000.kext is to run VMware Fusion (latest version 2.0.6 is 32bit only);

Oct 22 09:17:31 mac05 kernel[0]: vmnet: bridge-en0: enabled promiscuous mode

Another way may be the first 32bit RealtekR1000.kext solution at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181133, but I couldn't make that work.

If it can be made to work, a 64bit RealtekR1000.kext should work as well.

Do you wake with the power button, and does sleep work in 32bit as well?

Did you trace the inability to sleep to using the built in RTL8111D NIC with either the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext or RealtekR1000.kext, or was it something else?

1. Quote: "Do you wake with the power button, and does sleep work in 32bit as well?"

Yes I wake with power button.

With this setup S3 sleep (S1 disabled in DSDT) does not work in 32 bit mode.

In fact I couldn't get S3 sleep/wake (S1 disabled in DSDT) to work in any other kexts/bootloader/Kernel configuration or mode.

If someone got it working, please let us all know.

2. Quote: "Did you trace the inability to sleep to using the built in RTL8111D NIC with either the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext or RealtekR1000.kext, or was it something else?"

Inability to sleep (in S3) is not connected with RTL8111D NIC or apple drivers located inside IONetworkingFamily.kext

I could not get S3 sleep to work with Onboard NIC disabled in BIOS and/or following kexts removed from apple's IONetworkingFamily.kext: AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext, AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, RealtekR1000.kext.

To me it looks like bootloader issue. PC EFI 10.4/5 introduced 3d party patch to fix hibernation which I guess allows for S3 sleep with some configurations.

Realtek's RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg (updated 32bit AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext) sets the PROMISC flag on en#, but I had a few KPs using it, so I went back to using the RealtekR1000.kext and Daniel U. Becker's /usr/local/bin/ifconfig/ifconfig and /Library/LaunchDaemons/localhost.setpromisc.plist solution.

A way to get PROMISC with RealtekR1000.kext is to run VMware Fusion (latest version 2.0.6 is 32bit only);

Oct 22 09:17:31 mac05 kernel[0]: vmnet: bridge-en0: enabled promiscuous mode

d00d,

Would you clarify which RealtekR1000.kext are you using (I have collection of four different one's already)

I am not sure how to compile one for 64bit.

Do you know where to get 64bit compiled version or advise me on how to compile ?

Install Xcode.mpkg from the SL DVD's Optional Installs folder, open RealtekR1000.xcodeproj, and go from there.

I love you so much, Emelio. 64-bit SL is at 100% now! Finally got audio working thanks to your DSDT and HDA kext. Woohoo!

Now to image this drive so if I break something I can restore right to it.

And FYI, I am still using Chameleon, I just put the DSDT in /Extra/ and used KextUtil to install LegacyHDA.kext. Kinda messy but it works!

I'm planning out an i7 hackintosh build. I've read most of this thread and it seems like I can count on the UD5 working well with Snow Leopard 10.6, better than most other boards at that.

Is this a fair judgement, would this be one of the best full featured boards to base a hackintosh build around?

LegacyHDA.kext (attached)

NVIDIA.ROM file for my GTX260 video card

Does this just enable stereo audio -- no 5.1 or digital? Also, does headphone switching work?

I also have a 260. What's the advantage of the nvidia rom over EFI strings? I've been underwhelmed by graphics performance of some games I've played (glitches in Civ 4, no HDR/bloom in cider ports etc...) and I can't tell if the games in OS X just suck or the card isn't being totally utilized.

Does this just enable stereo audio -- no 5.1 or digital? Also, does headphone switching work?

I also have a 260. What's the advantage of the nvidia rom over EFI strings? I've been underwhelmed by graphics performance of some games I've played (glitches in Civ 4, no HDR/bloom in cider ports etc...) and I can't tell if the games in OS X just suck or the card isn't being totally utilized.

- LegacyHDA.kext combined with DSDT patch enables audio for 4out/2in configuration.

- Headphone switching doesn't work.

- Graphics Injection is done with GraphicsEnabler = Yes in com.apple.boot.plist.

- NVIDIA.ROM file with VideoROM = NVIDIA.ROM in com.apple.boot.plist makes overclocking possible.

- OpenGL performance in Snow Leopard dropped 50% comparing to Leopard but 10.6.2 update suppose to change it.