Newbee in the place

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first post, so i will explain what i'm doing and what i need...

I'm c++developer since 5 years now, i 'm working in compagny who is making softwares in the audio & video industry.

As you might see, i'm not english ^_^, i'm french

I usually devlope for the windows platform, but now i'v decide to go to the cross platform development, and it's look like traveling in hell :)

So i by an Intel based mac, and i think i'm in love with t now :blink:

The probleme for me now is to understand the different api.

As i can understand ther is 3 differents api: core fundation, carbon & cocoa

I want to use the most low level api, so (corect me if i'm wrong) the best for me should be core fondation.

Can somone explain to me what are the limitation about this api ?

For exemple on windows platform i only use the win32 platform sdk, and nothing more, is corefundation "like" win32 api ?

can i create simple window with this api (and how ?, help in xcode is realy poor about that)

thanks in advance

cheers

The API's build on each other within mac os x and core foundation is the lowest level part consisting a bunch of wrapper functions for low level stuff like file I/O, networking etc built onto that you have core audio and core video which are self explanatory. (ANd probably most applicable to your situation)

Carbon and Cocoa are application frameworks which you'll need to know to build anything useful. Carbon provides backwords compatibility for porting Mac OS 9 applications to OS X whereas Cocoa applications are Mac OS X native. developer.apple.com has a mass of tutorials and documentation to get your started.

... now i'v decide to go to the cross platform development, and it's look like traveling in hell :)

What does this mean? If you want to program for platforms other than OS X things are a little different. Specifically, you want to code commons "back-ends' in C++ while using different GUI tool-kits (like Cocoa's Application Kit) on different platforms. You could consider a cross platform kit like Qt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28toolkit%29

The probleme for me now is to understand the different api.

As i can understand ther is 3 differents api: core fundation, carbon & cocoa

I want to use the most low level api, so (corect me if i'm wrong) the best for me should be core fondation.

Can somone explain to me what are the limitation about this api ?

Forget about Carbon entirely and Core Foundation for the moment, Cocoa is what you should be looking at.

can i create simple window with this api (and how ?, help in xcode is realy poor about that)

Yes, you can even create a simple web browser in Interface Builder (a GUI building application that works with XCode) without typing a single line of code.

Err... make that one line for this example:

http://cocoadevcentral.com/articles/000077.php

(Note: ProjectBuilder is the old name for XCode).