Kernel Panic - AppleACPIPlatform

night_rider

11 posts in this topic

Hardware in sig below.

Like most I pulled from a couple different guides.

Vanilla Intall Guide

LifeHacker Guide

I was able to:

1. create USB drive w/SL image, Chamelion, PC-EFI and custom DSDT.aml

2. put the kext I thought I needed in the Extras folder but may have screwed this up

mostly used a P5K_SnowPack posted elsewhere

3. booted from USB drive and successfully installed SL over my prior Leo install

Problem:

When I try to boot into my new SL install I'm getting a kernel panic. Have tried boot arguments -v -s -x32 but am currently getting what appears to be an error with AppleAPCIPlatform kext.

Tried:

I tried to mount the EFI partition from within Terminal. I can access terminal through the install utilities but cannot get a sudo state. I cannot mount_hfs /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI. I wanted to mount it so I could edit it. It's possible there's an NV kext in there I need to get rid of.

Anyway I'm looking for ideas to get SL running as it's installed. KP shots below. Thanks.

img1023y.jpg

img1024gr.jpg

<bump> appreciate all input.

I'm going to attempt another method but was hoping someone might have an idea on this AppleACPIPlatform error. Should I just remove that kext?

I dont think its an issue with the kext you put in Extra. Can you tell me where your Extra is? For eg. /Snow/Extra?

If you have all your kexts, try rebuilding with "kextcache -a i386 -m". You might also want to try booting into -s if possible, use fsck then do the kextcache rebuild....I think Snow assumes you have all 64 bit kexts especially the ones you add to the folders...

Do chmod and chown on the folder, then repair permissions...

Good luck..

Thanks so much for the reply. I was beginning to despair. The weekend is coming and I wanted to concentrate on getting it working again.

As I understand the /Extra folder it's both on the USB stick for the purpose of the installation but also on my hard drive in the 200mb EFI partition (\\EFI\Extras)

I hae tried boot modifiers (-s, -x, etc). The only terminal I can get is in the initial intaller which will still boot off the USB stick. I tried to mount the EFI partition but it wouldn't. It wouldn't allow me to sudo either but I suppose that's because there are no users established.

I'll try the suggestions above on Friday and report back. I will post a solution when it comes for those who might see the same issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Ok new weekend. Back to trying to fix my SL install. I'm at noob level so I'm learning as I go trying to fix my errors.

I booted with boot arguments (arch=i386 -v acpi) and got a more descriptive error. See below:

img1025f.jpgimg1026j.jpg

Warning - kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel* and com.apple.kpi.* components; use only one style.

Questions:

Again, noob, but doesn't it seem to be panicing because the AppleACPIPlatform kext has two dependencies?

If that's the case and multiple dependencies are bad, how do I fix it?

I had to use the arch=i386 boot argument (vs x_32) for 32 bit mode. That's a PC-EFI argument I read. Does that mean anything other than I'm booting with the info from my PC-EFI partition?

Even when I boot with the arch=i386 argument I see a 64bit Enabled line even though the xnu reads i386. I'm in 32 bit mode though, right?

Does that mean I'm using DSDT? Ummm what is DSDT beyond what I read at Wikipedia?

Can you point me to a good IRC resource for help? I'm just sitting here waiting for a response to my posts and as generous as your help is I just thought there might be another resource too.

BTW I appreciate any URLs with info to learn about the boot process, etc. I'm more than willing to put in the time to understand what the heck I'm doing.

OK final, final question for now.... I was running XxX I think prior to this and using a Voodoo kernel. Is that an issue? I guess I assummed that the SL install would have written a new plist (? yes ?) to direct the loader to boot the vanilla kernel.

All help very much appreciated.

I continue to poke around trying to solve my kernel panic with limited knowledge.

Recap: Attempted install from USB drive w/PC-EFI/Chameleon and SL image. Created DSDT.aml using fassl tool. Install went well, no errors. On reboot get KP above.

Found the content of Extras at MacOSX/Extras/Extensions

img1027zf.jpg

This is the content of the /MacOSX root. Just below /var is a 2007 vanilla kernel. This is an install over an existing Leo volume.

img1028w.jpg

The only other thing I did attempt was to rename the /MacOSX/dsdt.aml file to dsdt.aml.old and copy over it with the DSDT.aml file I created with fassl's DSDT Patcher. There was no difference in my kp.

I've been trying to mount the EFI partitions of either my USB drive or the MacOSX volume but have not been successful. The only termina access I have is within the installer. I attempt:

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

I have created the EFI directory. Any ideas there?

Still looking for answers.

Progress: my Kernel Panic is now a system hang; at least I guess that's progress...

Recall this is an install over a previous XxX Leo install over a previous Kalyway install so I have plenty of legacy crud.

I got from KP to hang by cleaning up my /MacOSX/Extra/Extensions folder with just the Kext from P5KE_SnowPack in this P5KE thread and replacing the dsdt.aml from the SnowPack and chown it. You'll see the Mac Framework is Initiallizing now.

Here's where I'm currently hanging.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

img1031v.th.jpg

I'm off to do more reading. Please help if recognize this issue. Thanks.

Progress: my Kernel Panic is now a system hang; at least I guess that's progress...

Recall this is an install over a previous XxX Leo install over a previous Kalyway install so I have plenty of legacy crud.

I got from KP to hang by cleaning up my /MacOSX/Extra/Extensions folder with just the Kext from P5KE_SnowPack in this P5KE thread and replacing the dsdt.aml from the SnowPack and chown it. You'll see the Mac Framework is Initiallizing now.

Here's where I'm currently hanging.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

img1031v.th.jpg

I'm off to do more reading. Please help if recognize this issue. Thanks.

I would create a different partition on your drive for a clean Snow install.

Nothing good will come from you upgrading a Kalyway to Leopard to Snow.

I had a few KP at 1st but after updating to the new rc3 & fakesmc they have all seemed to have gone away.

If you can, try blackosx's install guide and use a small chameleon partition on your snow drive. I found that to get a successful install on a pre used osx hard disk I needed to partition then erase using the zero all option, to totally remove any possible crud on the drive. Used the external drive/usb process and made my own dsdt.aml and all happy.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I did see reference to blackosx's guide in another post. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. If I don't get anywhere tomorrow I may buy a new drive and do a clean install.

Had no progress today. As much for my own recollection as anyone else having these issues here's what I tried:

1. Clean Reinstall of Extensions

Cleaning up my /Extra/Extensions folder resolved my KP. I thought perhaps getting some of the crud out of my /System/Library/Extensions folder might also prove helpful. I deleted all s/l/e kext, reinstalled SL, repaired permissions and fixed the extnensions cache.

2. Move Extras to S/L/E

I tried moving my hardware specific extensions from /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions.

3. FakeSMC.kext

I tried the new fakesms.kext but it didn't seem to help either.

At the end of the day I'm right back where I started with a hang after the IOAPIC loads.

*Questions*

Mount EFI Partition

How do I mount an EFI partition with only the Terminal.app from the installer? I've tried...

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI

I either get an invalid argument or some superblock error. I cannot use sudo in the installer terminal.app.

As always all help is gratefully accepted.

@121FRED - Thank you so much for the suggestion of BlackOSX install. I haven't even read the PDF yet. All I did was burn the ISO and boot. Thought I'd give my MacOSX partition a try and what do you know.... it boot right into the WELCOME movie. I'm ecstatic.

I imagined that my USB stick was fine since it let me boot into the installer and install SL. Must have been something wrong with it though.

I've still got some work to do. I'm going to install Chameleon RC3 tonight. I have no sound and graphics so I'll have to write my EFI strings and perhaps change my DSDT or a kext. Just happy not to have KP or hangs.

Funny I bought a 1TB drive today on sale in the event I needed to give up and do a clean install. Now I can just use it for 1080p usenet rips.