[Guide] Dell Latitude D630/D830

Air

91 posts in this topic

Hello All

ok So I have a Dell 630 with Quadro NVS 135M. I was able to install and boot (retail snow leopard image) Chameleon RC3. The only problem is the graphics are lagging and slow. I tried NATIT and NVKUSH both result in the same issue. I can adjust the res fine but the overall performance is slow. It looks like I dont have QE/CI enabled. (in 10.6 there is no way to get that in profile.)

I tested removing NVKUSH and NATIT and using EFI gfx string and that did not work.

Anyone else having the same issue?

thanks

Are you sure your CPU is running at full speed?

Download "MSR Tools" (Sorry I don't remember where I found the SL version but it is online). Then check your CPU 'actual frequency' goes to 100% under system load. If it dosent try installing the VoodooPower.kext from http://www.superhai.com.

disneysw, how did you get your sleep working? like most people i can get the computer to sleep but can't wake it up. from most of what I've heard though, sound gets crappy on a wake-up mostly for voodoohda people. I wouldn't know about viki's kexts though, as I've never tried getting sleep to work, but if you're cool with staying in 32 bit you could try out viki's legacystac9205 kext on a wake-up.

disneysw, how did you get your sleep working? like most people i can get the computer to sleep but can't wake it up. from most of what I've heard though, sound gets crappy on a wake-up mostly for voodoohda people. I wouldn't know about viki's kexts though, as I've never tried getting sleep to work, but if you're cool with staying in 32 bit you could try out viki's legacystac9205 kext on a wake-up.

I originally could not get my system to fully enter sleep mode, it would blank the screen, create the save file but not actually enter the final sleep mode. Which meant I'd have to manually power off the system. I accidentally discovered that nullcpupowermanagement.kext was causing the problem. However removing it caused the CPU to run at reduced speed, leading me to install VoodooPower. That got performance back but has made the system slightly unstable (occasional KP's). I've since changed the default voltageprobe setting within VoodooPower (read the manual) to 'false' and am currently evaluating if that fixed my problem.

My full configuration was outlined a few posts back (files included) .

Does your problem sound similar?

It is enabled in the BIOS?

I do have it enabled in the BIOS.

Under "System Profiler - Hardware - Firewire" I get "Warning: Unable to list Firewire devices" rather than the Firewire hardware details. Does anyone else get this? I am missing a kext etc. Thanks

ok So I have a Dell 630 with Quadro NVS 135M. I was able to install and boot (retail snow leopard image) Chameleon RC3. The only problem is the graphics are lagging and slow. I tried NATIT and NVKUSH both result in the same issue. I can adjust the res fine but the overall performance is slow. It looks like I dont have QE/CI enabled. (in 10.6 there is no way to get that in profile.)

I tested removing NVKUSH and NATIT and using EFI gfx string and that did not work.

Anyone else having the same issue?

yeah it's mostly expose that gets laggy when you have certain kinds of windows open, like safari windows or MS office windows. with natit and nvkush you should have QE/CI though, so i think there's some other problem at hand here. to test for QE/CI though, try to add a dashboard widget, and if you get the ripple effect, you have QE/CI.

Hi,

Did you get Sleep working???

It´s not working for me!

Would be very nice to have sleep thanks!

Hardware:

Dell Latitude D830

2GB Ram

Quadron NVS 135M

I found that sleep stops working with the 10.5.8 update. I reinstalled and only updated to 10.5.7 and got sleep back!

PS - I have the same specs as you.

I found that sleep stops working with the 10.5.8 update. I reinstalled and only updated to 10.5.7 and got sleep back!

PS - I have the same specs as you.

D830

NV 140

3GB RAM

installed using iATKOS 5i. ran software update installed *everything* and my sleep works fine.

I am trying to get all my other {censored} worked out. I need to take an inventory of what works and what doesn't.

D830

NV 140

3GB RAM

installed using iATKOS 5i. ran software update installed *everything* and my sleep works fine.

I am trying to get all my other {censored} worked out. I need to take an inventory of what works and what doesn't.

D830

Quadro NVS140M

2 GB RAM

Installed vanilla (using my guide).

Updated to 10.6.1

Graphics works with native drivers using GraphicsEnabler=Yes switch in Boot.plist.

The laptop sleeps, but does not deep sleep / shutdown / reboot.

I am using openhaltrestart.kext.

D830

Quadro NVS140M

2 GB RAM

Installed vanilla (using my guide).

Updated to 10.6.1

Graphics works with native drivers using GraphicsEnabler=Yes switch in Boot.plist.

The laptop sleeps, but does not deep sleep / shutdown / reboot.

I am using openhaltrestart.kext.

hey msingh, what is the graphicsenabler switch for anyway? because I know there's an ethernetbuiltin switch too, but I don't know what they do and what they control, or what you use them in conjunction with.

I do have it enabled in the BIOS.

Under "System Profiler - Hardware - Firewire" I get "Warning: Unable to list Firewire devices" rather than the Firewire hardware details. Does anyone else get this? I am missing a kext etc. Thanks

It appears fine on my machine, did not have to do anything specific for the firewire port. Suggest you verify you have the necessary chipset drivers loaded. You can see what drives are loaded by using the kextstatus command in a terminal window.

D830

NV 140

3GB RAM

ok I did a reinstall so I could repartition the way I wanted to. Apparently I haven't installed something because now I have no sleep again...

Is there some known thing I need to do that I didn't but people don't expect to work? (Did that make any sense?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i got a D630 with X3100 and i got some Problems.

I followed this guide and now i got everything done, until sound!

I got 1280x800er resolution but, when i install the kext of soundcard. The notebook restart with just 1024x768er resolution - but with working sound. :) :)

Is there a possiblity to install the soundcard on a other way??

• 2 weeks later...

All of the steps work except for repairing permissions. Both commands keep telling me invalid argument or something like that.

the guide just says to go to terminal but i assume u are support to go to SL/System/Library/Extensions and run chown and chmod?

when booting up i get Mac OS Version: Not Set Yet or that with a Kernal Panic

Thanks

Here we go!

I have been running Leopard for more than a year on my D830 nvs 140m. Now I have managed to install 10.6.1 (partly thanks to this guide) and I am very happy to say snow works better than leo ever did.

Here comes a list of what is now working that was somewhat broken in leo.

Up till 10.5.7 sleep was working, in 8 didnt. In 10.6.1 it does (not deep sleep though).

From 10.5.8 BT-PAN started to work with my SE xperia X1, it still does in 10.6.1.

From 10.5.7 (i think) one had to use VoodooHDA to get the sound to work. It broke when sleeping and couldnt be unloaded/reloaded after wake-up. In 10.6.1 it can.

My broadcom wifi never worked on leo, in snow it does so now I have two working wifis (1490 too). Works well out of the 3G modem antenna.

Two things are not working right now halt/restart and battery time calculation (breaks when both batteries are connected). Furthermore I have not tested mirror displays or the microphone yet.

So how did I do it?

I followed this guide with a few slight modifications:

* I removed the Disabler NullCPUPower... and OpenHaltRestart kexts from /extra/Extensions (or rather never put them there). Insted I put SleepEnabler.kext there (google for the one for snow)

* I then removed AppleIntelCPUPower... and AppleHDA.. from /S/L/E.

* I ignored the UUID stuff.

* In the reboot step I hit F8 booting with -v -x parms.

* After the osx setup stuff i double click kext utility and wait until it sais its done (might take some time and even show something that can be interpreted as an error message.

* Then I reboot without the -x -v and upgrade to 10.6.1.

* When booted up agian I add the VoodooPower VoodooBattery and VoodooHDA kexts. Look for them on the net, VoodooHDA shoud be version 2.43 (or later)

* Then I modify the plist inside VoodooPower changing VoltageProbe or ProbeVoltage to false

* Then I run kext utility again

* Finally I reboot again. System up and running.

Note that there are I few traps I fell in. Never ever let snow migrate anything from your old installation, not users, system nor applications nor anything. It WILL break everything. Never put anything that looks as it has anything to do with network in Extras, it will break the airport support. If you want your home directory from the old install copy it on your disk before installing snow. If the username created in the setup is the same it will work just fine. When done, dont forget that time machine is nice! Remember that the broadcom support isnt working until 10.6.1. The upgrade is rather small though so you can do it over BT-PAN or something if you dont have a Dell wifi or TP-cable.

Done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I hope someone might be able to help me with this. I have the D630, and I followed the initial instructions, yet when I try to boot from the USB HDD, it loads up, until I see a flash of the blue screen, then the display goes to black.

No matter what I try, even installing SL to the USB HDD and attempt to boot of that one (even with the Extensions.mkext), chown and everything... No deal...

It's X3100 by the way, hope someone has any idea what to attempt.

I also have a Dell mini 10v running SL and this was suggested there, taken from the Lenovo site. Its helped me boot much more consistantly:

The fix is to add;

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

into /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

the file could also be at root ( /com.apple.Boot.plist ) depending on how you have the bootloader setup.

Well, I hope someone might be able to help me with this. I have the D630, and I followed the initial instructions, yet when I try to boot from the USB HDD, it loads up, until I see a flash of the blue screen, then the display goes to black.

No matter what I try, even installing SL to the USB HDD and attempt to boot of that one (even with the Extensions.mkext), chown and everything... No deal...

It's X3100 by the way, hope someone has any idea what to attempt.

have a look here for help also try replacing this kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/dell-d620-6...ext-pack-t3840/

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.zip

have a look here for help also try replacing this kext AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/dell-d620-6...ext-pack-t3840/

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.zip

I tried doing that too, when I install OSX to the USBHDD, and still nothing... So weird!

I copied the KEXTs, then made the Extensions.mkext, repaired permissions, chmod, chown, everything... still nothing =\

I tried doing that too, when I install OSX to the USBHDD, and still nothing... So weird!

I copied the KEXTs, then made the Extensions.mkext, repaired permissions, chmod, chown, everything... still nothing =\

this might be worth a look

http://osx86blog.blogspot.com/2009/10/inte...ep-display.html

i think the DSDT.aml as posted in a previous post sorts my d630 screen out. did you put the DSDT file in the root of your hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I followed the guides, and I seem to have done exactly what "D14852001neko" did, and I'm having the same issue.

It seems like it's just not possible to install on D630 with x3100 graphics card.....

How would you recommend loading the sleeper fix into the installation? This seems to be for issues once you can successfully boot into OS X?