[GUIDE] No Hacks! ASUS P5K-VM Install Guide of Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 on

Freaky Chokra

47 posts in this topic

vv

Hi!

After countless times of Kernel Panics, I finally found a way to get this Mobo to boot SL.

Requirements:

1. All the KEXTS listed on the first post.

2. The installer here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

3. An Intel based Mac or OSx86 running leopard. I used iPC 10.5.6 release.

4. The original Retail SL 10.6.0 DMG.

5. An additional HDD.

6. DSDT Patcher GUI Software

7. gfxutil

8. Tons of patience

Here is what I did:

1. Boot the Intel based Leopard Mac or OSx86 Leopard PC

2. Mount the Retail DMG

3. Format the additional HDD with a least 25GB as GUID Partition. I named mine Snow as well.

4. Launch the Retail DVD installer located at /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and let SL install. Do not reboot.

5. Run the installer from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ and install it on the Snow partition as destination.

6. Run the DSDT Patcher GUI application and tick mark Force Compile & New HPET and select the destination drive from the drop list box. Ensure all three blocks are selected.

7. Install all the required KEXTS on the /Extra/Extensions folder. If there was a repeated one already installed by the installer on step 5, I deleted the one on that installer and replaced it with the one available on the first post of tis thread.

8. Reboot the machine using the Snow partition and started the system with -f (Flush caches).

9. Followed step 34-39 for getting the string and hex into the com.apple.boot.plist file.

10. After that I went ahead and enable the root user. Steps 41-47 on first post.

11. Open a terminal and typed sudo. Entered password when prompted. Righ away I went ahead and executed this two lines:

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

11. Rebooted the machine and ALL was working. Ethernet @ 1Gbps, HD front and rear audio, Graphic card to 1920*1200 and all USBs.

It took me more than 30 attempts with different distributions and countless Kernel Panics. So far everything in terms of functionality work as if it were an OEM Mac.

Thanks to the OP for the details and consolidating all the required files. Also, thanks to the owner of http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ to have all in one solution for chameleon, etc.

Has anyone successfully updated to 10.6.3

I've just recently Installed Snow leopard on my Machine, running almost Identical specs as Initial post. I've updated to 10.6.3 with everything working except for Audio. I cannot find any audio fixes anywhere for the ALC883. Any help would be verymuch appreciated.

Thanks in advance

vv

I've just recently Installed Snow leopard on my Machine, running almost Identical specs as Initial post. I've updated to 10.6.3 with everything working except for Audio. I cannot find any audio fixes anywhere for the ALC883. Any help would be verymuch appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Check here:

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

Read down where it says... Update to 10.6.3

There is a link for the AppleHDA_10.6.2.kext and some information about this upgrade as well.

Good luck!

Check here:

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

Read down where it says... Update to 10.6.3

There is a link for the AppleHDA_10.6.2.kext and some information about this upgrade as well.

Good luck!

Perfect, I was forgetting to remove the old AppleHDA before Replacing it with the 10.6.2 Version.My only problem now is that although I am getting 3 options as Output

-unknown

-headphones

-SPDIF

I get no sound.

I tested the SPDIF=Coax (which I always use) and headphones with no luck.

The fact that I have the options is one step closer but I was wondering exactly whick Kext are you using to get your sound to work including the AppleHDA 10.6.2...?

Thanks again , any insight would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
vv

Thanks in advance

Hi danbot85.

Here is the Patched working patched original AppleHDA.kext (from 10.6.3 update) AppleHDA.kext_edited_FreakyChokra.zip

Works perfectly. Needed some binary editing. Thanks to original post at Here.

This works. Do reply.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Something new and Interesting Observations:

D] Lastly I have yet missed out... no one has yet complained about the time sync with bios problem yet in Snow Leopard.[/b]

Just for the record...

I have a fix for the bios time sync problem in snow leopard... :unsure:

It is the most simplest and easiest method to get the fix installed.

About that another guide.. soon.......

;)

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Finally!!

The fix to time sync problem is from BlackCH's LoacalTimeToggle fix, from his xXx 10.5.6 Universal discs.

LoacalTimeToggle.pkg.rar

It works fine and has served very well since the past 9 (or 10) months for me.

I'm attaching the extracted .pkg Installer for those who wanna try.

LoacalTimeToggle.pkg.rar

Simply Extract. And Run the .pkg file. Reboot and you should be done!

Enjoy!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

• 1 month later...

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezed when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V

KHX6400D2LLK2/4G 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 1.95V

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezed when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

Hi Kbob.

Can you also post the same details as above of your "older" 2GB RAM?

Moreover, Tell me whether your are Booting in 32-bit (i386) mode or 64-bit mode (x86_64)?

BCoz, SL has problems detecting more RAM, even in original Apple Hardware -> MacBookPro's and MacPro Desktops.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

hey Freaky Chokra :)

thanks for tryin to help...

but i just wrote that :

PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

and

These are the memories

so the 2g kit (2x1) is my old ram and I just bought the fittin 4g kit (2x2) now makin a total of 6g

but as i told it only works for me with 2g forthe moment neither 4 nor 6g worked always frezzed at the silver boot up and this circle that normaly appears doens't "load"

Ooops... I didn't quite catch the differences highlighted below:

Now, as I am online for quite some time, like right now...

You, boot using -v argument so that you can see the output, and when/if it Panics, then post a clear digi-cam screenshot of the error. I could help you then... Ok?

That's first step.

Second, you boot using argument ----> arch=x86_64 -x64 -v

PS: The RAM's aren't the probkem, AFAIK.

PSS: I hope you are using Chameleon; whatever version....

Regards,

Hi Kbob.

My bad. Actually, My SL too is f-ed up. So, missed out on reading you ARE actually on 64-bit.

Ok, can you post the screenshot, where it Kernel panics and stalls during boot up?

What boot loader are you using?

Secondly, in the motherboard BIOS settings, change your RAM timing values to 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15.

And, see whether it boots or not.

Secondly up the RAM Voltage too, from Auto to 2.0 even though on set of your RAM is 1.95 Volts.

This mismatch could be the root cause of your problems.

Revert at least.

Regards,

Hi Chokra,

Thank you so much for the guide. When I reboot at step 25 I get this kernel panic, do you know what it could be?

Hi Cursive. Very much welcome for the appreciation! ;)

1. I see that you booted with x86_64 kernel. Meaning 64 -bit mode.
  2. On first boot, you should be booting in 32-bit mode.
  3. If you have Leopard in another drive then boot to it.
  4. Then edit the com.apple.Boot.plist of SNOW LEOPARD such that boot flags are as under:

a.	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
b.	<string>arch=i386 -x32 -f -v</string>

That should solve the issue. Or else, if your rig is Overclocked, then please down clock it to stock or regular values, Let The process complete... Then you can overclock it again if you want, ok?

Please post back if it worked?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :ninja:

Thanks for getting back so quickly :ninja:

I've tried what you suggested but I have the same problem, here is a photo of the error after I add the 32 bit kernal flag.

By the way I'm installing this onto an SSD hard drive.

kp2.jpg

It's odd because it says 86_X64 on the top right..

This si my com.apple.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>cd030000010e74(I shortened this only for this message)</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32 -f -v</string>

</dict>
</plist>

I've tried with several versions of Chameleon (the one you recommended plus everyone one up to and including RC4), but it always boots into 64bit.

For each version I have sued the correct kernal flag, but with no success.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

I know this is a lot to ask, but would you mind posting a zip of your Extras folder that I can use, as well as your boot file?

Thank you

• 2 months later...
I've tried with several versions of Chameleon (the one you recommended plus everyone one up to and including RC4), but it always boots into 64bit.

For each version I have sued the correct kernal flag, but with no success.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

I know this is a lot to ask, but would you mind posting a zip of your Extras folder that I can use, as well as your boot file?

Thank you

Hi cursive.

Well, Sorry about the late reply...

Wasn't around the scene since the last couple of months.

However, I just noticed that you used the flag "-x32".

That is now not supported.

Use "arch=i386"

Revert with the results.

Regards,

PS: I'll try uploading the /Extra/Extensions/*.kexts when I reach home.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I updated my system at 10.6.4 version from auto-update but whent it reboots my connection lan is off. :D There is "connection cable disconnected" in system preferences but the cable is Ok.

Are there new driver release to resolve my problem?

Tnx

Hi guys

I updated my system at 10.6.4 version from auto-update but whent it reboots my connection lan is off. :wacko: There is "connection cable disconnected" in system preferences but the cable is Ok.

Are there new driver release to resolve my problem?

Tnx

Hi robbysca76.

Even after updating to 10.6.4, using either Delta update or Combo update, your Hackintosh should not have a crippled LAN or Ethernet card.

Anyways, you can try editing the info.plist in IONetworkingFamily.kext to add a new key group for Yukon 88E8056 LAN Chipset.

Then, your LAN card should be recognized and be fully functional.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :P

Hi robbysca76.

Even after updating to 10.6.4, using either Delta update or Combo update, your Hackintosh should not have a crippled LAN or Ethernet card.

Anyways, you can try editing the info.plist in IONetworkingFamily.kext to add a new key group for Yukon 88E8056 LAN Chipset.

Then, your LAN card should be recognized and be fully functional.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :wacko:

Ok tnx

But how could I edit this info.plist file? :P

Tnx too

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide Freaky Chokra!

I'm going to try this with my "ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA" - It's not the same as your P5k-VM though - do you think it will still work? :)

Cheers buddy!

p.s. Here is a full spec of my rig:

Monitor

Samsung 22" Widescreen 2ms 3000:1 Monitor

Peripherals

Apple USB Ultra-thin Aluminium Keyboard

Apple USB MightyMouse

Case

Antec Nine Hundred 900

- Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan

1000W Black Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU

- 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATA

Enlight Black 26-in-1 Internal 3.5" Card Reader

Samsung SATA 22X DVD-RW Drive (SH-S223F)

Motherboard

ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA

- 8channel Audio ATX Motherboard

CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping 2.4GHz 1066MHz

- Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair)

- Installed using Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Thermal paste

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler (AC-FRZ-7P)

- Running in Silent Mode

Memory

4GB OCZ EL DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz - Gold Gamer eXtreme - XTC

- 2 x 2GB

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS BFG Tech OC 512MB

- GDDR3

- PCI Express 2.0

- Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out

Hard Drives

Seagate 500GB HDD SATA II 7200rpm 32MB Cache (ST3500320AS)

- Running Apple OSX Leopard 10.XX.X - Leo4all on 250GB Partition

- Store / files on 250GB Partition

Seagate 500GB HDD SATA II 7200rpm 16MB Cache (ST3500630AS)

- Time Machine Backup

Maxtor 80GB HDD SATA

- Spare

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just upgraded to 10.6.4 and lost the video out.

Right before showing the login screen, the screen goes off and back.... as if the OS turned off the video out. The monitor shows no video and the status led is blinking.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Just checking if the same install process that is documented in post 1 in this thread applies for upgrade to 10.6.5. What additional Kexts do I need for the P5K-VM?

How does the new kernel 10.6.5 work with this board?

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,

GunnerSr