[GUIDE] No Hacks! ASUS P5K-VM Install Guide of Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 on

Freaky Chokra

47 posts in this topic

Hello fellows.

After trying since last full week of installing Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 Gold Master (G copy), I finally succeeded a successful OS installation.

My Specs:

Mobo: ASUS P5K-VM (BIOS 1001)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz (1066FSB) @ 3.2GHz

RAM: Transcend 800Mhz of 2GB X 2 sticks = 4 GB in Dual Channel Configuration

Graphics GPU: XFX 9800GT 512MB

Storage Medium: Western Digital 500GB SATA HDD

Optical Medium: LG 20x internal IDE DVD-RW (not SATA)

Audio:

1] Onboard RealTek ALC 883 with S/PDIF out (how read later on...)

2] Creative SB Live! (just the last bit to try using kXAudio drivers)

Ethernet/LAN: Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056

And lastly the most important:

My Transcend 8GB USB Pen Drive. Just in case; you can make a bootable Leopard 10.5.x installation on this. Yes! Not a Snow Leopard Installation.

Firstly let me thank all those who have spent countless seconds trying to install Retail Snow Leopard 10A432.

[(not necessarily in the same order;)]

The credits are as follows:

Superhai... not directly but for his older Leopard contributions.

Aquamac.. for his help with GFXutil.

Stell's Blog.. and his Kext attachments.

Rsilves Guide for P5W DH Deluxe Snow Leopard installation.

sk1nhd33t Guide for Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 DVD install for G31M-ES2L.

taranfx guide

[ Essentials ]

1. Simply set your BIOS :

SATA Mode = Enhanced

Legacy USB mode = Auto

USB EHCI = Enabled

2. An installed working Leopard (32bit will do) ( I am using BlackCH's XxX 10.5.6 Universal) using AnVXnU 9.6.0 kernel.

(not updated to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8) [but might as I wanna see the speed on vanilla kernel; I just downloaded the combo packs yesterday night]

3. Recommended (and that's what I did) a Separate HDD for Snow Leopard...

[it pays though for having a separate disk and well... You can just reclaim the old Leo install space once this is through. :|]

NOTE:

A] Should preferably on a separate HDD & B] Recommended for installing Retail Snow Leopard 10A432

4. A Retail Snow Leopard 10A432.dmg

[Google + Torrents = "I Got it", right?]

Files: [Attached or linked ;)]

o Chameleon-RC1-r431 or even Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg.zip

o PC-EFI-10.1 or even the PC-EFI-10.2 will do.

o The Extras folder

o edited apple.com.Boot.plist

o edited smbios.plist

o Extensions folder with necessary Extensions

Search and get the other things (in the checklist):

Kext Utility

OSX86Tools

DSDT Patcher GUI

The binary of gfxutil from aquamac's page [put link here]

VERY VERY VERY Importantly, Stuffit or equivalent unzipping software.

And pretty thorough skills of typing and running shell commands in OSX Terminal ;)

How To begin and end successfully:

I backed up all the data on the WD500 and got a working install of Leopard 10.5.6 on another drive; As this was my main drive for Leo.

Boot into it. ;)

Note: Where other guides mention about running the command "sudo chown 0:0 /Volume/Name of Snow Leopard target partition" before installation, I didn't use them and they don't make a difference except it makes it a lot difficult for you to later on edit files in the Snow Leopard Target Drive.

Moreover, it will help if you enabled the root user account in "Leopard" and do what comes next. ;)

1. First, simply create a single GUID Partition of 25GB using Disk Utility and nothing more. Why 25GB... Snow Leopard used only 4.1 GB of disk space.

[Assuming there are no existing partitions in this disk]

a. In Disk Utility, select the physical name of the hard disk that you are going to use for Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 installation.

b. On the right click on Partitions. Then, you can see it displays current partition scheme.

c. Click on Options and select GUID Partitioning Scheme; click ok.

d. Next, Click on List (drop) box and select 2 Partitions. Drag and set the one you are going to install Snow Leopard on to the preferred size.

e. On the right, type in the Name of the volume [i chose "Snow", as it is short and later on all commands have "Snow" as volume name)

f. Select "Mac OS X Journaled" as the partition type. NO "CASE SENSITIVE" OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

g. Next, click on the second partition and just like we did above we will mark this space as "unused"; so do not type in any name and simply select the partition type as Free space.

h. This allows you to later boot into Windows "whatever!" and use Acronis or good old diskpart command for creating partitions as per your choice.

NOTE: Expert users who know what they wish different partitions for can go ahead and re-structure the above as per their requirements.

2. Next, simply double click on the downloaded for Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 .dmg file and mount it.

3. A small window with a nice snow covered Snow Leopard DVD icon pops up.

a. Click in the blank space in this window (quitting any other applications and closing any open windows) and press CMD + Shift + G or simply in the Menu > Go to Folder.

b. Here type in this exactly as it is: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

c. Press Return

d. Next, Simply press the "O" as in MN"O"P key; the OSInstall.mpkg file will automatically be selected.

e. Double click it.

4. Here's your very familiar Mac OS X Installation wizard.

a. Go ahead till you select the drive.

b. Next before clicking install, click on customize.

c. Here, I completely deselected the printer drivers. No printers with me!

d. Deselected all other Language packs; default is English.

e. Then, selected Rosetta and X11.

f. Click Continue and sit back as it takes about 8 minutes to complete.

5. Now, After the installer completes, click on close and DO NOT reboot just yet.

6. Open either of the chameleon boot loader DMG files. I used the later Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg

7. Run the installer and choose the correct drive where you installed Snow Leopard.

8. Then, open Terminal from Utilities, drag the file named "boot" from the Chameleon installation dmg into the terminal after the typing following command "sudo cp"; then /Volumes/Snow/

a. sudo cp "Chameleon dmg volume/path to 'boot' file" /Volumes/Snow

i. so it looks almost like this: sudo cp /Volumes/Chameleon/boot /Volumes/Snow/

ii. NOTE: This is to copy the latest X64 enabled, EFI X (10.2) added boot loader to your SnowLeo Install

iii. Importantly, do not enter the wrong volume as the target drive.

9. So now your Snow Leo can boot. But we are not done yet. As it does not have all the relevant drivers (KEXTs).

10. So, if you downloaded all the attached files, you simply unzip (unarchive) them to desktop and then copy them all to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

11. Extensions go to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

( In Extensions folder ; in all 21files are there)

i. dsmos.kext

ii. NullCPUPowermanagement.kext

iii. PlatformUUID.kext

iv. Openhaltrestart.kext

v. LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext

vi. LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

vii. SleepEnabler.kext (for those interested in sleep mode) haven't tried it yet. Mine never worked in Leopard too. No resuming ever! :)

12. Other files go to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/

13. Simple drag n drop works. (root user mode... is magic!!!)

14. Next, run the DSDT Patcher GUI application and tick mark Force Compile & New HPET and select the destination drive from the drop list box.

15. On the right hand side, select "Darwin Mac OS X and click on Run Patcher. So your SnowLeo now has all the DSDT Tables fixed for error-free booting.

16. After this, In Disk Utility, click on Volumes titled "Snow" [or whatevername you gave in step 1, (e) ] and Click on info and note down or copy paste the UUID of the volume in Textedit.

17. Go to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/ and right click on PlatformUUID.kext and select Show Package Contents.

18. Open the info.plist file from here in Textedit and paste the UUID we copied in step 16 to wher w e can see such line of code:

i. <key>PlatformUUID</key>

ii. <string>A3704F6B-015D-334B-9032-D10F3ADE1586</string>

19. Now, that is my UUID. So you need to paste your UUID. Once done. Click File > Save. TextEdit > Quit TextEdit.

20. Next, Go to Snow/Extra/ and open smbios.plist

21. Change whatever Info you want to change such that System Profiler shows only that information which you have entered. But importantly, again here you will have to paste the UUID we copied previously.

a. Find the following key :

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>A3704F6B-015D-334B-9032-D10F3ADE1586</string>

and replace the one (UUID) that is of your disk.

22. Here, if you want, you can change the com.apple.Boot.plist by adding additional boot parameters to the boot loader as under or just leave it as it is. But it would be better that before booting for first time, you add the following:

a. <key>Kernel Flags</key>

b. <string>-x32 -f -v</string>

23. So you are almost done. Before that, copy the following to the Applications folder in Snow Leopard:

i. OSX86Tools

ii. Kext Helper B7

iii. Kext Utility

iv. gfxutil

v. oclinfo ---- this is to check if your Snow Leo Install has successfully detected your display card and CPU as potential OpenCL processor hardware sets.

24. Lastly, but not the least, Just note down from Leopard's System Profiler the hardware device IDs of your nVidia Geforce or whatever graphics cards in a writing pad or in a .TXT file on the root of /Volumes/Snow/

a. This is to enable QE/CI by using gfxutil and also EFI Studio or equivalent in OSX86tools.

25. Now, Cross Fingers and reboot. If you want then change the boot order of drives in yoru BIOSorthen press F8 or whatever key on your keyboard to bring up the boot device selection menu.

26. Select the drive where the Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 has been installed.

i. Considering that your install went fine and SnowLeo boots fine to desktop don't rush to do anything else except for fixing the drivers (KEXTs) first.

ii. Which means editing and more patching etc.

iii. Anything else and you will destroy hours of work.

iv. By the way this is written from My for Retail Snow Leopard 10A432 install and it has been up and running for 5 hours straight and no kernel panics except when I didn't fix the glitches during the first two installs.

27. Once you boot into desktop after all the Apple's Registration Wizard, Quit every window and application that is running using CMD+Q or Menu Quit > "Application Name"�.

28. First of all, there may be some bug with spotlight, even though mine hasn't crashed yet.. but I prefer speed over anything else. And I am a very organized person.. so searching my files is not an issue.

i. So firstly we'll shutdown Spotlight indexing by this command.

ii. Open Terminal and enter this:

iii. sudo mdutil -i off /

iv. sudo mdutil -E /

v. sudo mdutil -i off -a

29. There, that's done. Giving that it would have started to index the moment you booted in. [And caused some disk IO error or corruption or kernel panic, why use the idiot app?]

30. We can later "re-enable" it when everything is running fine, by reissuing the following commands to enable Spotlight again.

i. Open Terminal and enter this:

ii. sudo mdutil -i on /

iii. sudo mdutil -i on -a

31. NOTE: The parameter is to disable indexing on all volumes. And the slash at the end is just the /Volumes/Snow/ volume, ok?

32. Then head over to the archives or the packs that you have downloaded as per the links provided and unzip them to a single folder on the desktop

33. Next, Run OSX86Tools and (select) check everything except "Repair Permissions" and give it a go. Let it do its work and finish. Do not reboot yet.

34. Using gfxutil we first need to determine the EFI ID of your graphics card. So here goes:

a. Unzip gfxutil to /Volumes/Snow/Users/[your username]/Desktop/gfxutil/

b. Open Terminal application and type the following:

i. cd ~/desktop/gfxutil (then hit return)

ii. gfxutil -f display (then hit return)

You should get something along these lines printed out

localhost:gfxutil FreakyChokra$ gfxutil -f display

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

35. Now copy that and open the in.plist and look for the line near the top where you see the following first lines (example) and replace it with what you copied.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0xe,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

36. Scroll down near the bottom of the in.plist (attached with gfxutil archive) and change this:

<key>model</key>

<string>NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX</string>

To whatever model Geforce card you are using. You can also change the ROM-revision to whatever you like. Once your done making your changes, save the in.plist file.

37. Next, Go back to terminal you should still be in the desktop directory and type this.

38. gfxutil -i xml -o hex in.plist out.hex

39. You should now have a new file called out.hex on your desktop. Open this file with whatever editor (Textedit rules!) you like it and it will have your new graphics string. Copy it and open finder and head to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and open up your com.apple.boot.plist. Under the last string, which is usually the

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>Yes</string>

o NOTE: add a couple new lines as follows:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE YOUR LONG HEX STRING HERE!</string>

40. In case you wish to have a higher resolution boot screen � nothing fancy there, similarly add the following lines before the above lines OR after the kernel flag s key :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

41. In the above case it helps if you would have used a root login. It's just basically faster and more convenient that way.

42. But how to? In Snow Leopard, Directory Utility is not in the usual location: /Volumes/Snow/Applications/Utilities/

43. Instead, here's how: (you might have to unlock by giving your password in the next steps)

44. Open System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options.

45. Here, click on Join button against the Network Account Server.

46. Now, can you see it? A button called Open Directory Utility.

47. You can enable root user from Menu > Edit > Enable Root User.

a. There done!

48. Now, we need to fix the Graphics part. So just like good old Leopard days, we will simply enter the device and vendor id into two info.plist files from /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

a. The first being -> NVDANV50HAL.kext

b. The second -> NVDAResman

49. Right click NVDANV50HAL.kext > select Show Package Contents. Double click to get inside Contents. Double click info.plist.

50. Where do we add the device and vendor ids?

a. Just look for the following and append a similar line to the

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>

0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff

0x019010de&0xfff0ffff

0x040010de&0xfff0ffff

0x042010de&0xfff0ffff

0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff

0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff

0x060010de&0xffe0ffff

0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

0x064010de&0xffe0ffff

0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a2010de&0xffa0ffff

0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff

0x061410de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

51. In most cases, the nVidia vendor id is 10de and any card in GeForce Series is 06xx. So your device id here will be 0x061410de&0xffe0ffff

i. See in Windows, 10de was my Vendor ID and x614 was my Device ID. So you get thte point. Do not make a mistake in interpreting the above. Thanks. ;)

52. Same way, we do it in NVDAResman.kext > info.plist

i. But here we look for the lines as under:

<key>IONameMatched</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x061410de&0xffe0ffff</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>50000</integer>

ii. As we saw above, you can locate my ID: 0x061410de&0xffe0ffff in the end of the entire set, just above the key, "IOProbeScore".

iii. And we are officially done with graphics!

53. Next as we had already unzipped the necessary kexts from Leopard into /Volumes/Snow/Extra/ (etc.), simply issue the next command in Terminal:

A] For booting Snow Leopard into 32 bit (i386) mode only!:

chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra
chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/Extra
chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/Extra

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

B] For booting Snow Leopard into 64 bit (x86_64) mode only!:

chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/Extra
chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/Extra
chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra

chown -Rf root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

54. This will force compile a pack of 32 bit (A) and 64 bit (B) KEXTs that are specially working for your system. Here I have provided with only the KEXTs for P5K series. Note, audio may require other KEXTs.

55. The last bit.

56. In any case, do you ever put in new KEXTs, do so on /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/ and re-run the last kextcache command set. This is to "recompile" (in a way) the working set of kextcaches for your Retail Snow Leopard 10A432.

Though, I wished to end this in Fifty Steps. But, Anyways, hope you get a full-blown, enriching experience in Snow Leopard with this guide, in the first install try itself. Oh BTW, NO kernel Panics yet!

Lastly, it should also work for those with motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. using Intel G31, G33, P35 chipset. Just do not forget to add matching extensions to /Extra/Extensions/ and rebuilding the kextcache.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Kexts zipped direct download link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3H2U7WIP

gfxutil link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AD66BXZ5

Freaky_Chokra_SnowLeo_Install_Guide.doc

gfxutil.zip

reset_mkext.rtf

Can you re-upload the necessary kexts? Decompression failed...

Sure....

Just wait a couple of hours till I get back home. k?

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra-

Can you re-upload the necessary kexts? Decompression failed...

HI as I had promised here is the link for the repacked, working version of the KEXTs.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=43DLAGPQ

Though, i tried downloading form the first original link; they are still working.

Anyways, maybe you should unzip them in Windows using WinRAR or 7Zip or something first then copy to

your Snow Leopard 10A432 installation partition.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

What about firewire in 64 bit? Does it work???

Because mine sometimes works and sometimes doesnt...

To check if it is actually working check the system profiler if it shows the mac address of the firewire....

Hi zikman.

well.. to tell you honestly... I don't have any firewire devices to chec it out..

Morever that.. I've disabled Firewire in the BIOS coz where I am, we hardly ever get anything "Firewire" enabled or ready..

So I know I am never going to "get to use it". So maybe you can ask someone who has chedk that out or wait for an answer...

Most likely people with G31 / G33 / P35 chipsets who have in some way got their retail 10A432 working, would have some KEXt which would have let them enjoy Firewire connectivity.

As all these chipsets use the same Firewire silicon chip.

Just Marvel Yukon 88E8056 and the rest of the series... "Intel :D"

I know I didn't solve your problem, but at least you can start looking somewhere else :)

Take Care

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

• 3 weeks later...

hello.

great post.

really really great.

I'm thinking about going trough the 56 steps so i can have more than my old powerbook G4 with leopard.

Then I just though: "coudn't just you put a torrent with the final dmg so the rest of the people download it ???"

Do you thought about it?

I even swear that I go to a store and buy the snow leopard.

thank you

hello.

great post.

really really great.

I'm thinking about going trough the 56 steps so i can have more than my old powerbook G4 with leopard.

Then I just though: "coudn't just you put a torrent with the final dmg so the rest of the people download it ???"

Do you thought about it?

I even swear that I go to a store and buy the snow leopard.

thank you

Thanks for your appreciation.

Well... I did think about it... but I as of yet don't know how to make a install DMG /DVD like JaS or BlackCH or ToH or the respected elder brethren who have contributed a lot to you know who.

I can't promise but this is the beginning after years of learning from these 'gurus'.

I hope some time in the future I can make a DVD for you once I understand how to use Package Maker.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

PS: Just the bit, i get English isn't ur first language... so I didn't understand the last part...

Are you saying it is difficult to get through 55 steps... and better to buy a retail DVD...

Coz, still then you can easily install on an original MAC laptop or Desktop; but not on generic Intel or AMD home-made custom personal computers.

Adios!

hi, thanks for the guide man, it's very useful!!!

I have a question,... it's a retail installation so can you do apple software updates without problems?

cheers

Yupsie... Daisiey..........!!!!!!!

Check my signature... I did the 10.6.1 -> immediately as it was released and .. without any hiccups or whatever...

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

PS: Waiting for DL the 10.6.2 update.

Thanks heaps for the guide Chokra,

I stumbled my way through it today - took a couple of goes & got stuck at "Still waiting for boot device" for a while but then realised that it was prolly because I had sata mode set to "IDE" in my bios. But found an AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that worked for SL & slipped that in there and that let me boot up.

Only problem is, I have no sound. No Device in System Profiler or anything. - I am using the default onboard sound & only need stereo out. Have you got any ideas??

I'm going to continue testing by installing & running a few apps & see how it goes.

Regards & Thanks Again.

Matt :-)

Scratch that - I run step 53 (kextcache) commands again - logged in as root & All seems to be well now.

Running smooth for about 5 hrs - installed heaps of apps & rebooted lots of times - solid as a rock. No lockups or KP's.

Matt

8. Then, open Terminal from Utilities, drag the file named "boot" from the Chameleon installation dmg into the terminal after the typing following command "sudo cp"; then /Volumes/Snow/

a. sudo cp "Chameleon dmg volume/path to 'boot' file" /Volumes/Snow

i. so it looks almost like this: sudo cp /Volumes/Chameleon/boot /Volumes/Snow/

ii. NOTE: This is to copy the latest X64 enabled, EFI X (10.2) added boot loader to your SnowLeo Install

iii. Importantly, do not enter the wrong volume as the target drive.

9. So now your Snow Leo can boot. But we are not done yet. As it does not have all the relevant drivers (KEXTs).

in my previous attempt the step above wouldn't budge at all. it kept saying file/path does not exit.

sudo cp /Volumes/Chameleon/boot /Volumes/Snow/

10. So, if you downloaded all the attached files, you simply unzip (unarchive) them to desktop and then copy them all to /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

after trying one method previously to no avail - i couldn't even get past the initial stage. i ended up deleting my apple juice retail.dmg file by mistake due to anger. So i have decided to give your method a go. Although, it is different in some cases to others, where exactly do i get the extra folder or do i have to make one myself?

N.B: i have already acquired the kexts and the tools required for installation.

Scratch that - I run step 53 (kextcache) commands again - logged in as root & All seems to be well now.

Running smooth for about 5 hrs - installed heaps of apps & rebooted lots of times - solid as a rock. No lockups or KP's.

Matt

Tons of Thanks for your appreciation... You are most welcome.

BEST OF LUCK WITH SNOWY!!!!

:) NJOY!!!! :P

I will keep updating the post regarding several other how to about Graphics and Sound Outs, etc.

-Regards,

:( Freaky Chokra :(

hey chokra freaky dude answer my questions - where does the extra folder comes from?

Ya Ya.. wait... I am a working dude... Ok...?

Firstly, even I was frustrated when my Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x installations would fail...

So I have come a long way baby.... as FAT BOY SLIM's album was titled...

Hence, just have patience and with it comes awesome happyness.

Here is the how to make the /Extra and /Extra/Extensions/ folders:

You need to manually create the folder in the root of your snow leopard installation.

There are two ways to do this:

A] you can boot into Leopard and make it from there... using the Terminal.

type command like this in Terminal:

1)

Last login: Mon Oct 12 22:25:09 on console

You have new mail.

Freaky-Chokras-Mac-Pro:~ FreakyChokra$ sudo -s

2)

then you type your password for your current login

3)

then type:

cd /Volumes/"the name of your snowleo volume here"/

mkdir Extra

cd Extra

mkdir Extensions

You are done!

PS: hit enter after each of the commands... OK?

B]

You can login in Leopard in "ROOT" account and just

Then type the last commands shown above in step 3.

Hope this works for you....

NJoy!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed guide, Freaky Chokra!

filipe garcia, thanks for the link to myHack as well. I tried it (because it was way shorter) and I am able to boot into snow leopard with the usb thumbdrive attached, but not without. It gives me this during boot up and just stops:

>00000080

<00000002

000000C1

*<00064028

J

I googled it and I think it has something to do with DSDT? If anyone has some pointers for me, it is very much appreciated.

Also, I installed the kext for the Nvidia cards with the options in myHack, so I assume that's not the problem (but I could be very wrong).

My hardware:

P5K-VM

Asus Nvidia EN7300 PCI-E

Thank you in advance!!

Ok, turns out I just needed to remove the partition using the disk utility and create a new one (I guess the "erase" function didn't clear everything out)

Reran the install and everything worked great. Now I just need to tweak the video card and audio settings.

Thanks everyone!

hello again.

I just found this website

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/

With the myHack software and I was really amazed.

I tried in my p5k-vm and with 5 very easy steps I got the snow leopard up and running.

Now i just have to do the small teaks.

I'll get back with more details.

Just that............. I finally... saved up some money and bought the most expensive keyboard in my life...

The Original Mac keyboard with the numeric keypad.

Well... and Also.... Filipe G.

Tell us all if you have 5.1 channel audio out with the 5 easy step install..

and also the graphics and all is working completely.... or not...

as far as I know Snow doesn't have that many problems... with graphics chipsets.. dunno about ATRI Cards though.

Moreover..... Just that If you did get 5.1 working... please for god's sake tell us how didi u get the mic in working too..

That is all I want... coz the new audio HDA HAL is too stubborn to let us hack it..

Tell next time.....

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

PS: by the way.. I am loving the new mac keyboard....

It is simply... awesome.....!!!

And games in Windows Se7en Rock!!!!

well... bad news.

after I install a usb wireless pen and play around a little bit ( before I try the audio and the changed the video resolution ) I change the hard drive to windows and I start to get Chassis open... System Halted.

I try everything but couldn't even go the BIOS.

After remove the battery I could enter with the default settings but only in windows because the defaults don't use AHCI.

Every time i turn off the computer, same error and after 3 boots the board was out.

The led was on but I couldn't see the Bios info and the processor fan also out.

I know that it has nothing to do with the Mac Os install, but now the board is on the warranty ( hurray for 2 years warranty in portugal ), so I will get to you when it come back.

• 4 weeks later...

Something new and Interesting Observations:

a] Firstly the SnowLeo works differently than Leo 10.5.x

b] Then it is 64 bit default enabled...

Lastly... you dont own a real mac.. so you can't upgrade to a retail snow leo without getting your existing install in trouble..

Then again.. a minimialist leo install of 10GB partition is necessary just in case something goes wrong...

So you have a "backup" OS to fix it or at the least recover your data from the Snow Leopard Partition...

Again several modifications need to be done before you install Snow Leopard...

And PS:

You see.. SnowLeo leo requires some modifications from leopard

done prior to

a] booting the first installation screen

b] after completing setup.... during the first Mac OSX Welcome animation screen.

c] and creating the first login account.

D] Lastly I have yet missed out... no one has yet complained about the time sync with bios problem yet in Snow Leopard.

Just for the record...

I have a fix for the bios time sync problem in snow leopard... :angel:

It is the most simplest and easiest method to get the fix installed.

About that another guide.. soon.......

;)

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

your Tutorial worked great! Thank your for that.

The only thing which didn't worked "out of the box" was the Audio Support. But I solved that problem by reinstalling the VoodooHDA.kext with the Kext Utility. So my Hackintosh runs great :-)

So now I wanna know if the Update to Mac OS X 10.6.2 via the Software Updater is even working or do I have to make some changes after or before the installation? Can you even write a Tutorial for that? Or is there no Problem by updating with the Software Updater?

Thanks for your help and sry for my English.

el_barto

Hi,

your Tutorial worked great! Thank your for that.

The only thing which didn't worked "out of the box" was the Audio Support. But I solved that problem by reinstalling the VoodooHDA.kext with the Kext Utility. So my Hackintosh runs great :-)

So now I wanna know if the Update to Mac OS X 10.6.2 via the Software Updater is even working or do I have to make some changes after or before the installation? Can you even write a Tutorial for that? Or is there no Problem by updating with the Software Updater?

Thanks for your help and sry for my English.

el_barto

Warm regards, Dear el_barto.

No me tome el camino equivocado, mi amigo. (I think you must be speaking Spanish… my guess.) ;) wink wink.

So, well I too was a bit busy and away from my Hackintosh for a couple of days… well so here is reply you expected:

In case you used fakesmc.kext + DSMOS.kext in /Volumes/your-snowleo-volume/Extras/Extensions/

Then:

Are you the only unlucky one who got a Dsmos kernel panic after updating?

JUST dont use dsmos.kext anymore. ONLY use fakesmc.kext v2.5 (google netkas fakesmc.kext 2.5)

===========

1. You may need another Mac/Hack and attach the corrupted hard disk and then do the process again.

2. Boot from external HDD or Leo or another SnowLeo install PC to get into your Snow Leopard Install.

3. Make backup of your kexts, you might need some.

4. Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example – NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra/Extensions and make its mkext and reboot,

BUT if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.

5. Place the “NullCPUPowerManagement.kext” into /Snow/Extra/Extensions, and copy the Extensions folder in Extra to the desktop, and drag it over “Kext Utility”. Kext utility will repair your permission and generate a new Extension.mkext. Move that Extensions folder and the extension.mkext back to /Snow/Extra

6. After updating, if you need to edit some kexts AFTER update and BEFORE reboot, do them before re-starting.

7. After reboot – re-add your device-ids to kexts whereever you need it.

8. Then remove the Sleepenabler.kext file from everywhere. [because SleepEnabler.kext ->old sleepenabler.kext + new kernel (10.2.0) = definitely kernel panic]

9. Means from either:

a. /Volumes/your-snowleo-volume/Extras/Extensions/

b. or /Volumes/your-snowleo-volume/System/Library/Extensions/

10. Lastly, run the rebuild kextcache command as under:

a. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

b. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

c. kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

d. chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

e. chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

f. kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/

11. Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example – NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra mkext and reboot, of course if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.

12. Reboot from your 10.6.2 HDD, which should then run just fine with no issues. I importantly recommend using these flags for the first boot:

arch-i386 -x32 -f -v

Then rebuild kextcache using the above commands once before trying any applications first. Then, reboot and try using Snow Leo in normal mode.

OR

Or do a complete Retail install, update it to 10.6.2, do the Security updates, do all the recommended updates, then I run Chameleon RC3 on it, Copy the “boot” file, load the kexts in Extra/Extensions or System/Library/Extensions = whatever is needed.

Delete all problematic kexts (dsmos.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, I know, NullCPUPowerManagement should block it, just to be sure).

After a reinstallation of Chameleon 2 RC3 and a reboot it should work fine, as far I can tell.

Hope It fixed that problem...

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have been trying to get this going on SL and have not had a success.

No matter what approach I take, after the first reboot after install... the system will either go into the grey square forcing me to reboot/reset the system or if I run it on verbose... it will stop on a Kernel Panic line and the System Uptime is xxxxxx nanoseconds message.

I have tried using the retail version, the uniflash distribution, the hazzard distribution, etc... all leading to the same. It seems that this is only for SL as I am able to succesfully install Leopard as retail, iPC, iAtkos, etc w/o any major problems.

What information you may need in order to help diagnosing what I may have done wrong?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi!

After countless times of Kernel Panics, I finally found a way to get this Mobo to boot SL.

Requirements:

1. All the KEXTS listed on the first post.

2. The installer here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

3. An Intel based Mac or OSx86 running leopard. I used iPC 10.5.6 release.

4. The original Retail SL 10.6.0 DMG.

5. An additional HDD.

6. DSDT Patcher GUI Software

7. gfxutil

8. Tons of patience

Here is what I did:

1. Boot the Intel based Leopard Mac or OSx86 Leopard PC

2. Mount the Retail DMG

3. Format the additional HDD with a least 25GB as GUID Partition. I named mine Snow as well.

4. Launch the Retail DVD installer located at /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and let SL install. Do not reboot.

5. Run the installer from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ and install it on the Snow partition as destination.

6. Run the DSDT Patcher GUI application and tick mark Force Compile & New HPET and select the destination drive from the drop list box. Ensure all three blocks are selected.

7. Install all the required KEXTS on the /Extra/Extensions folder. If there was a repeated one already installed by the installer on step 5, I deleted the one on that installer and replaced it with the one available on the first post of tis thread.

8. Reboot the machine using the Snow partition and started the system with -f (Flush caches).

9. Followed step 34-39 for getting the string and hex into the com.apple.boot.plist file.

10. After that I went ahead and enable the root user. Steps 41-47 on first post.

11. Open a terminal and typed sudo. Entered password when prompted. Righ away I went ahead and executed this two lines:

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/

11. Rebooted the machine and ALL was working. Ethernet @ 1Gbps, HD front and rear audio, Graphic card to 1920*1200 and all USBs.

It took me more than 30 attempts with different distributions and countless Kernel Panics. So far everything in terms of functionality work as if it were an OEM Mac.

Thanks to the OP for the details and consolidating all the required files. Also, thanks to the owner of http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ to have all in one solution for chameleon, etc.