[How To] Snow Leopard 64bit Retail Installation - P5Q-EM (Other P5Q Boards)

Akamatsu

31 posts in this topic

With your guide man thanks!

I still receive kps IOACPI and IOCPI errors.

Have a look on my lshw here

A checklist:

- Have you updated to 10.6.2 before installing Chameleon?

- Have you used the combo update to pass directly from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 ?

- Are you using the latest Chameleon version (RC4 at the moment)?

- Have you updated the BIOS to version 2203 (yes, you did, I read lshw)?

- Have you configured the BIOS like I described before?

- Have you placed the Extra folder in the root directory?

I see that your audio looks like Conexant (while it's supposed to be Realtek ALC1200).

I found problems with audio using ALC1200 kexts supposed to work with this chip.

Maybe there are various versions of this board that uses different audio chipsets...

Try removing the VoodooHDA.kext and re-run "sudo /Extra/pfix" to rebuild kext cache and see if this works (but you'll have to find a working kext for this).

@BubuXP

A checklist:

- Have you updated to 10.6.2 before installing Chameleon? --> No I did not...I installed it after the 1st boot.

- Have you used the combo update to pass directly from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 ? --> No I used 2 separate updates...I suppose that the normal update combo will work fine right?

- Are you using the latest Chameleon version (RC4 at the moment)? --> Yes, the rc4

- Have you updated the BIOS to version 2203 (yes, you did, I read lshw)? --> Yes 2203 is the latest.

- Have you configured the BIOS like I described before? -->Yes, but I would like more info for the cpu settings.

- Have you placed the Extra folder in the root directory? --> Yes.

I see that your audio looks like Conexant (while it's supposed to be Realtek ALC1200).--> It is an ALC1200 conexant is a hvr-3000 tv tuner.

I found problems with audio using ALC1200 kexts supposed to work with this chip.--> Let's try to fix the motherboard/cpu/graphics and then we will get to the audio.

Maybe there are various versions of this board that uses different audio chipsets...--> Its a rev.1.xx I think it should be ok.

Try removing the VoodooHDA.kext and re-run "sudo /Extra/pfix" to rebuild kext cache and see if this works (but you'll have to find a working kext for this).--> I have downloaded some kexts that they supposed to work with 10.6.2.

I'try again. ;)

Just a notice.

I think that the specific motherboard series may have an issue regarding the q9650, I don't think that smp is enabled by default , if it will be ever supported.It leaves everything to be handled by the os.

Windows and several linux distros are working fine with it but I'm not sure how is osx dealing with it.

I show this

[ 0.036034] weird, boot CPU (#0) not listed by the BIOS.

[ 0.036035] SMP motherboard not detected.

[ 0.040001] SMP disabled

[ 0.040001] Brought up 1 CPUs

and it made me wonder.

Then ubuntu does this...

SMP alternatives: switching to UP code

Since the bios and the motherboard (probably) does not support this , ubuntu finds a way around with it.

I will reset the bios to factory defaults and I'll try again.

Thanks for all your help.

Since the bios and the motherboard (probably) does not support this , ubuntu finds a way around with it.

I will reset the bios to factory defaults and I'll try again.

Those messages appear with or without the DSDT.aml file?

(you can try adding NullCPUPM.kext to /Extra/Extensions and remove the DSDT.aml from /Extra and see if this works)

I used a Q9550 with this mobo, but I don't checked if all 4 cores were really working (hardware info panel found all 4 cores and Speedstep worked after patching DSDT).

My suggestion was (and still is) to reset bios to defaults and change only the parameters I specified, leaving the others to their defaults.

Thank you for providing all of this information. You believe this install guide will work for any P5Q board, for the most part?

Speak to me?

except the dsdt.aml file and the voodoohda.kext i think this is an almost standard procedure to install OSX.

Then you have to find the dsdt/kexts for your specific hardware.

• 4 months later...