Snow Leopard on a DELL XPS M1530

sunlite

66 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've installed snow leopard 10.6.1 with success on my XPS m1530 with the usb solution. With some good kext everything works fine excpet, front mic, tap and scroll on the touchpad (even if i use voodooPS2Controller) and my card make some weird things .... And it is my main problem.

I don't know why but my 8600m GT is detected as an ATI RADEON 4870 .... And I try to fix this without success by some solutions : NVinject, NVkush, Use EFIStudio to modify EFI String, pick the Chrysaor DSDT.aml .... but nothing works .... But i have to precise that i've got my good resolution (1280*800) but not have 3D support (DVD player won't work for example)

Some people have any idea to fix this ? I need your help ...

(I'm a little frenchie so excuse me for my so bad english ...)

Hi Donkey,

I followed your guide and go SL up and running. Got sound and video sorted out, but i can't decrypt what you did for network wifi fix:

"Fix your ethernet mac and add your wifi on IO80211.kext plist if needed (I have 1395 so I had to add the id into the plist)"

can you be more specific? like step by step which line in the plist to edit and what to put in? what is id?

i have a question i got SL working on my XPS..... but sound is kinda gets kinda choppy when i use limewire other then that it works fine.... with itunes and other apps... (used voodooHDA and the 10.1.09 and deleted appleHDA)... another thing is that... my card reader does not work, what kext do i need to get that working........and also my mouse pad does not scroll down or up or left or right....

and the last question.... does the graphics card work at it full potential??? can i actually play games??

thanks in advanced

Hey Guys!

I've made a topic where i suggest everyone post their Snow Leopard on M1530 issues and we can debug our machines. I have a 99% working machine right now with only two problems remaining (this does not include restart and shutdown but sleep works). If you already encountered the issues I have posted please post your solution to it.

HERE!

Sincerely,

Javier C.

You need to find the device ID (which I think are in hex) and the vendor ID for the devices that are not working and add them to the kexts manually. The easiest way to find the info are from Windows. If not you're going to have a !@#$ of a time finding that info from OS X (though I've had some success with the boot disk and System Profiler).

I believe that after editing the kexts you need to rebuild the cache also (which you can do with pfix). Search the forums for how to edit kexts. It's not that hard.

I may do a short write-up since I'll probably be doing this whole process either later today or tomorrow.

Hi Donkey,

I followed your guide and go SL up and running. Got sound and video sorted out, but i can't decrypt what you did for network wifi fix:

"Fix your ethernet mac and add your wifi on IO80211.kext plist if needed (I have 1395 so I had to add the id into the plist)"

can you be more specific? like step by step which line in the plist to edit and what to put in? what is id?

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to either

a. install OSX on an M1530 that already has Windows 7 installed without blowing away the current install of windows or even better....

b. installing OSX in a VM?

The sole purpose is to plug in a USB midi keyboard controller and use Garageband if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your work.

I have a dell xps m1530, T8100 with Leopard (iAktos v7).

I followed the procedure above but when i restart the computer i get the message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button...."

I used a snow leopard dvd for my imac which is quad core i7 for the .dmg.

Then borrowed one from a friend who has core duo just in case this was the problem..

Same thing happens again.

I get the chameleon screen, select the restored usb, then it freezes with the message above.

Can anybody help?

Is it possible to either

a. install OSX on an M1530 that already has Windows 7 installed without blowing away the current install of windows or even better....

b. installing OSX in a VM?

The sole purpose is to plug in a USB midi keyboard controller and use Garageband if that makes any difference. Thanks!

I'm going to give the VM route a try first. I came upon a pre-built 10.6.2 VM which may ultimately save a lot of headaches if it works. Just not sure if I'll get the performance I need out of it for realtime MIDI use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i need help with my XPS M1530.... currently everything is working fine on SL... but i have a problem with speedstep.... computer is getting REALLY hot... and eventually turns off??

My processor is a core2duo T8100...

what DSDT setting do i need to change??/

thanks in advance

Hey guys i need help with my XPS M1530.... currently everything is working fine on SL... but i have a problem with speedstep.... computer is getting REALLY hot... and eventually turns off??

My processor is a core2duo T8100...

what DSDT setting do i need to change??/

thanks in advance

Honestly this whole thread is duplicate. Follow immo's guide and use Brett's m1530 anycpu dsdt.

read carefully HERE.

• 3 weeks later...

i have no idea whats going on, i can use the universal dvd no problem and install, but i have the same specs as donkey so i tried his, and booting to USB all i get is the com.apple.iokit.ioatafamily(2.5.0) kernal panic

i have tried patched ones i've found, but nothing gets me past this

OK, so i've only been doing this for i dunno, 4 days, i'm totally new to this whole thing, but i learn fast, and have a great snow leopard 10.6.3 vanilla install going, there were some typos in the tutorial on the first page, no big deal anyone with experience can still figure it out.

now, for everyone that is having the problem with the install going to great and asking to reboot, the issue is the IOATAFamly.kext that is in the S/L/E directory on the USB drive, delete that and the problem should go away, if not let me know, even though i only have 4 days experience, i have learned quite a bit, and by 4 days, i mean all day at the office and all night at home.

after i ran all my tests, tried different installers and whatnot, i went ahead and did a clean install again, and worked great

Hi everyone!! I just signed up to this forum, because i really need some help regarding retail install of Snow Leopard on my Dell XPS M1530. I know how to create a bootable USB stick, but i don't know what to do then. I read some threads about fixing shutdowns/restarts, native speedstep and graphics and Vanilla kernel, but i don't know what i need to do to get all these things work on my future SL install. If possible, a straight-forward guide would be much appreciated, since some of the topics are still vague and kinda uncomprensive to me. I'm running a fully-working iAtkos V7 install, along with Windows 7 x64 and my specs are:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo T9500 @ 2.6GHZ

RAM: 4GB DDR2

HD: 500GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT

Screen: High-Def 1920x1200

Soundcard: Sigmatel HD Audio Codec

Wireless: Intel Wireless 4965 AGN

Ethernet: Marvell Yukon 88E040

Bluetooth

• 10 months later...
Dual Boot Part:

Partition with a bootable (10.5x) dvd. The partitions should be GUID. If you really want MBR, you can install Snow Leopard FIRST on GUID then restore the data to a clean/reformatted MBR partition.

After the restore, install chameleon again so that the partition will boot. You should set the SL partiton as "active" if you want it to be the default boot partition.

m1530 Snow Leopard Part:

1) Restore vanilla dmg to a usb thumb drive or hd. The thumb drive or hd partition should be guid.

2) Download files from this post.

3) Open Terminal, do sudo -s, put in your pass. navigate to

type: "./<path>/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps. After the installer is done, replace the DSDT with the one in m1530_generic_dsdt folder. This dsdt DOES NOT have SpeedStep which is processor specific. It doesn't have audio or video/graphics injects. It is the bare

minimum dsdt for m1530.

4) Copy Snow_Installer-m1530 to restore location. I put mine in "Optional Installs" folder. Remember!: DO NOT RESTART COMPUTER AFTER SL INSTALL IS COMPLETE.

5) Edit com.apple.boot.plist, the resolution should be the resolution of your screen. The one in this plist is mine.

6) Restart computer, select options which allow you to boot from usb during start.

7) You should be in 10.6 install now.

8) Partition/allocate your hd space in GUID

9) Install SL to the partition of your choice

10) After the install is complete, DO NOT RESTART. Go to terminal from the menubar. no sudo required. do "./Volumes/<name of usb>/Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/installnow.sh"

Go thru the installer steps.

11) In terminal do

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>Extra/

rm -RF dsdt.aml

11) Do "cp /Volumes/<name of usb>Optional \ Installs/snow_installer-m1530/m1530_generic_dsdt/dsdt.aml /Extra/

12) In terminal again:

cd /

cd /Volumes/<name of newly created sl partiton>/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -RF /IOATAFamily.kext so that you won't get a kernel panic during boot.

13) Reboot

14) Run kext utility to make caches (faster startup)

15) Reboot, Run in verbose mode and see if you see errors.

Fix your ethernet mac and add your wifi on IO80211.kext plist if needed (I have 1395 so I had to add the id into the plist)

If you want to continue using the generic m1530, then you should try the Native SpeedStep kext (install in /Extra/Extensions then run kext utility again)

if you continue using generic m1530 then you should also using graphics enabler option in com.apple.boot.plist

If you use NativeSpeedStep then you won't need nullcpu kext. The same goes if you have a modded dsdt with speedstep inject, remove nullcpu kext.

I hope this helps.

PS: none of the files are my creation. i edited them to my liking...

I know this guide is like a year and a half old, but it got me closer than I had gotten before.

I have tried several guides on the site. With this one, I was actually able to follow more of the steps.

However, when I boot the Dell M1530 using the USB drive that has the retail OSX with the shown modifications, it shows a light colored screen with an Apple logo, followed by a gray screen telling me to power down and reboot.

When I reboot, I get a black screen, blank except for a blinking cursor. Nothing more happens.

When I again boot to the USB drive, and use boot flags such as "-x -v -r maxmem=2048 PCIRootUID=1" I get further but still no dice. I get a language choice screen, and when I click to accept English, I get a blunt statement: "OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Anyone have any ideas? Or a newer, better guide?

Hey,

Make sure that you patch the USB on the actual machine (where you are installing the SL). You may use iATKOS to get a working install of 10.5.7 easily and run it there. The DSDT patch needs to access ACPI on the actual machine to patch DSDT.aml with values specific to your hardware. If you can't/don't want to use iATKOS it's possible to generate DSDT.aml for your machine using Linux. Search for posts on this forum. The install script provided by donkey (installnow) does really good job on setting everything up.

IOATAFamily, when staring, checks for the IDE channels and it expects to find two of them. If it doesn't find the second IDE channel it craps out with null pointer error therefore you need to use the patched version of IOATAFamily that donkey provided in his package (Extra/Extensions). However, I noticed if DSDT is wrong you can still get that error, even when using properly patched IOATAFamily.kext.

If after reading all posts in this thread you are still asking how to get SL on M1530, hackintosh probably isn't for you.

Myself I'm still missing two things :

1. DSDT hacks for sleep

2. Don't know how to get ALPS touchpad working with tapping and any kind of scrolling (tried Voodoo stuff for 64-bit) but probably screwed something up. Do I need VoodooPS2Controller AND VoodooPS2Touchpad or should I replace Controller with Touchpad? Does the preferences pane work for ALPS?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Chris

This post was a huge help. I ran Donkey's installnow (that patched the USB) from a MacbookPro instead of from the Dell 1530 that had no OS on it. I see now the reason my effort is failing. I'm currently trying to get iATKOS v7 10.5.7 downloaded, so I can start again. Thanks.