Problems with rEFIt and Linux partition

Namelles One

2 posts in this topic

Maybe I am stupid, but I don't know how-to fix it...

Earlier I have a good working triple-boot on my black MacBook - MacOS, Linux (with grub loader) and Windows XP. Yesterday I format my Windows partition and installed Windows 7 (from MSDN) on it.

MacOS and Windows 7 works perfectly, but I can't load my Linux - rEFIt can not see it - in menu is only Windows 7 and MacOS, and rEFIt said, that all partition is synced well.

What can I do to fix my rEFIt to see Linux icon and grub menu? Except reinstalling Linux?.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe I am stupid, but I don't know how-to fix it...

Earlier I have a good working triple-boot on my black MacBook - MacOS, Linux (with grub loader) and Windows XP. Yesterday I format my Windows partition and installed Windows 7 (from MSDN) on it.

MacOS and Windows 7 works perfectly, but I can't load my Linux - rEFIt can not see it - in menu is only Windows 7 and MacOS, and rEFIt said, that all partition is synced well.

What can I do to fix my rEFIt to see Linux icon and grub menu? Except reinstalling Linux?.. :)

Perhaps you overwrote grub when you formatted your Windows drive. Try reinstalling grub; google to find out how.

Example:

1. Pop in the Live CD, boot from it until you reach the desktop.

2. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.

3. Type "grub"

4. Type "root (hd0,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).

5. Type "setup (hd0)", ot whatever your harddisk nr is.

6. Quit grub by typing "quit".

7. Reboot.