My PC -> G3 case mod =D

roybotnik

17 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I just finished moving the PC components that I run OS X on into a G3 case I've had laying around for some time. Here are some pics to enjoy:

http://www.r2computers.net/main.php?g2_itemId=15

The red LED is an HD activity LED under the clear little apple, and both the power and reset buttons are working. I did my installation a little bit differently than most people I have seen; mainly, I moved the PSU up to the front of the case so that the CPU's HSF would be able to breathe, and put an 80mm fan in the back where the stock PSU's fan was supposed to be. System runs cool and quiet with the following specs:

LGA775 Celeron 2.66ghz w/ SSE3 and NX-bit

512mb PC3200

MSI 915GLM-V

80GB WD SATA drive

No internal DVD drive right now (will put my NEC burner in when I get a new one for my main desktop)

What do you think? =)

Seems your server is down, I can't access it! A pity, as I've done the same thing with a G4 Quicksilver case (almost finished), and I'm curious to how it turned out.

I believe the G4 and G3 cases are almost identical in terms of layout and size. Except for the G4 Mirrored Drive Door case, where the PCI slots are on the opposite side to usual - come to think of it, that case would might be suitable for an Intel BTX motherboard. Curious - anyone done or planning to such a mod?

One more thing - you might have a bit of trouble fitting an internal drive, as your motherboard has the PSU connector right where the drive is (when the case door is closed). Most motherboards also have issues with the RAM interfering with the drive too, but from images of your motherboard, it looks like you'll be OK in this regard.

Also, you'll probably want to go for a shorter-than-usual internal drive - I've gone for the Sony DRU-700A and it just clears the two RAM slots closest to the back of the motherboard.

I've got an NEC ND-3500 dvd-rw to put in there. It's rather short and shouldn't extend out past the drive enclosure, which I cut the end off of to make room for the mobo. G4 case mod should be pretty awesome, they look a little bit cooler than the G3 B&W because of the colors. Lemme know how that turns out =). I'm really liking this thing, especially the drop-down motherboard tray.

• 3 months later...

I'm almost done with my G4 case mod. I took a couple shorts and lost the functionality of the locking side door but the door is real snug when closed so I can live with it. It just made things a whole lot easier when I conceded this fuction. There could be other ways to secure the door if needed. Right now my biggest problem is that the main 24 pin plug is hitting the internal dvdrw upon closing so I'm going to un solder it and re wire so that it can plug sideways vs straight up that should give me the clearance. I did also lose the functionality of 2 of the 4 dimm slots so thats a bummer but once its all done I think it will make a nice addition and the other "real" macs won't tease it. hahaha

• 2 years later...
Hi everybody,

I just finished moving the PC components that I run OS X on into a G3 case I've had laying around for some time. Here are some pics to enjoy:

http://www.r2computers.net/main.php?g2_itemId=15

The red LED is an HD activity LED under the clear little apple, and both the power and reset buttons are working. I did my installation a little bit differently than most people I have seen; mainly, I moved the PSU up to the front of the case so that the CPU's HSF would be able to breathe, and put an 80mm fan in the back where the stock PSU's fan was supposed to be. System runs cool and quiet with the following specs:

LGA775 Celeron 2.66ghz w/ SSE3 and NX-bit

512mb PC3200

MSI 915GLM-V

80GB WD SATA drive

No internal DVD drive right now (will put my NEC burner in when I get a new one for my main desktop)

What do you think? =)

S**t, is there still a working link? I've a moded G3 case (black and white) and now I wan't to transplant a C2D system to it. But I can't find some nice other mods for an overview that give's me some more ideas/impressions.

Do you know some good ones?

Thx in advance.... :(