New Chameleon 2.0-RC3!

blaugrana

52 posts in this topic

VideoROM

You can pass an alternate video ROM image file to the system.

VBIOS

Using this boolean switch, you can control the injection of your video BIOS to device-properties. We got various reports if this switch is really needed to make your graphics device handled correctly by the system.

in detail.

I understand all above in theory (like most Chameleon features) but not in the detail = boot.plist parctice.

Lets say ,i have for example an higher clocked NV9600.ROM file in the root folder of the system partition.

And use DSDT GPU device injection / EFI String boot.plist injection for that 9600 GT (no need for device-id patches in the NV drivers with that card)

So how use VideoRom option with that bios file above in detail ?

And whats then with that VBIOS (an switch Yes/No) with that in detail ?

Most people to day use DSDT gpu device inhjection OR EFI String device injection - would VBIOS="Yes" make them "no need anymore" and does VBIOS="No" works together with VideoROM=.... + DSDT /EFI String ?

An boot.plist example with that things above used would be nice.

Thanks

mitch_de you are right a bigger explanation about it and same manuals would eb appreciated. At least you udnerstand something :D

Btw, Chameleon 2 RC3 is simply great. I installed Snow Leopard aroudn 10 times but I got stuck on the boot process due to kernel panics. Yesterday I tried the same guide to install Snow, but using Chameleon 2 RC3 and now everythign is OK!!! :)

I'm having problems booting Snow Leopard when Chameleon RC3 is launched from another partition or USB stick.

When I boot Chameleon RC3 from another partition like a USB stick or a Leopard partition, I have problems when I select the Snow Leopard partition. RC3 completely ignores the Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist of Snow Leopard and always boots in 64-bit, even with arch=i386.

How do you get Chameleon RC3 to read the Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist of Snow Leopard when Chameleon RC3 was launched from Leopard or a USB stick???

Thanks.

How do you get Chameleon RC3 to read the Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist of Snow Leopard when Chameleon RC3 was launched from Leopard or a USB stick???

Thanks.

It would be a big help to all if you had your complete system info listed in your sig. It would give us a starting place. Do you by any chance have another OS (like a combo of Leopard and SL) on your system? If so, try with just SL and let us know what happens. Did you make double sure that your syntax is correct in you com.apple.Boot.plist file? All <>'s and /'s for keys and strings are where they're supposed to be? No empty spaces where they're not supposed to be? Also, is your USB stick formatted with GUID or MBR?

Thanks for your help BJMoose.

I have an Acer Aspire 9525 laptop Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 667MHz FSB, ICH7-M Raid controller, but drives not setup as RAID.

I have a GUID hard drive with Leopard 10.5.8 on the first partition and Snow Leopard 10A432 on the second partition.

The USB stick was also formatted as GUID.

Leopard 10.5.8 always boots fine, but I'm having problems getting Chameleon RC3 to read the Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist of Snow Leopard when Chameleon RC3 was launched from a different partition or the USB stick.

There might be a bug with Chameleon RC3 not booting the boot.plist of the selected partition. ZEF has suggested that I put the arch=i386 in /System/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/boot.plist

VideoROM

You can pass an alternate video ROM image file to the system.

VBIOS

Using this boolean switch, you can control the injection of your video BIOS to device-properties. We got various reports if this switch is really needed to make your graphics device handled correctly by the system.

in detail.

I understand all above in theory (like most Chameleon features) but not in the detail = boot.plist parctice.

Lets say ,i have for example an higher clocked NV9600.ROM file in the root folder of the system partition.

And use DSDT GPU device injection / EFI String boot.plist injection for that 9600 GT (no need for device-id patches in the NV drivers with that card)

So how use VideoRom option with that bios file above in detail ?

And whats then with that VBIOS (an switch Yes/No) with that in detail ?

Most people to day use DSDT gpu device inhjection OR EFI String device injection - would VBIOS="Yes" make them "no need anymore" and does VBIOS="No" works together with VideoROM=.... + DSDT /EFI String ?

An boot.plist example with that things above used would be nice.

Thanks

Also to tell us if using these rom files fixes the itunes laggyness from my 8800gt.For Example use the original macpro 8800gt rom in loading.

I was able to boot into RC3 once using the -arch=i386 -v -f

all my kexts were loaded and kext cache created i guess. Everything seemed fine. Once on the desktop i noticed that

Geekbench 64bit had a line going through it and not able to be opened. System claimed it was not my architechture. But when i boot into RC1 in 32 bit mode i've always been able to open my 64bit apps.. :whistle:

To make matters worse when i attempted to reboot I received all the old errors about my kexts not being able to be loaded. Even when i used -f or -legacy. What am i missing here.........????

all my kexts were loaded and kext cache created i guess. Everything seemed fine. Once on the desktop i noticed that

Geekbench 64bit had a line going through it and not able to be opened. System claimed it was not my architechture. But when i boot into RC1 in 32 bit mode i've always been able to open my 64bit apps.. :D

To make matters worse when i attempted to reboot I received all the old errors about my kexts not being able to be loaded. Even when i used -f or -legacy. What am i missing here.........????

if you use -legacy flag, 64 bit applications wont work,

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

works fine here; 32 bit extensions, 64 & 32 bit apps

Geekbench 64bit had a line going through it and not able to be opened. System claimed it was not my architechture. But when i boot into RC1 in 32 bit mode i've always been able to open my 64bit apps.. :D

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

ok thanx....

Y would my kexts in my EXTRAS folders not load though.....????

Is it neccessary to make the two folders /10.5 /10.6 inside extra ???

ok thanx....

Have you tried putting your kexts into the EXTRAS/EXTENSIONS folder or are they just in the EXTRAS folder itself? I've always put mine in E/E.

ok thanx....

yes, they will be loaded from /Extra/Extensions.mkext or /Extra/Extensions/ . If you have problems loading your kexts, get Kext Utiltiy.app and run it. This will rebiuild the kext caches.

You dont need to make two folders. The /Extra/Extensions/ for 10.5 can be located in the 10.5 partition too.

Hi!

Thank you for this great piece of Software! I would never have thought that installing OS X on PC hardware would be that easy. Must have been a whole lot of work to get it this far.

Since it's my first posting, kudos to this forum, too! Very active, very helpful, already learned a lot.

Now to my questions:

I installed Snow Leopard via USB-Stick from the retail DVD following this guide on lifehacker using RC2. I'm still using this stick to boot the system. Now I'd like to upgrade to RC3.

Would backing up and restoring RC2 be as trivial as packing and in case of disaster unpacking the "boot" file and the "Extra" Folder?

Can I then go ahead and install RC3 the usual way to get a working bootloader for the system already installed?

Sorry if I have overlooked any thread/guide already covering this, I searched but couldn't find anything. Also, should anybody know resources giving a good overview of Chameleon, please feel free to tell me!

Regards and thanks in advance,

Chris

Almost all of the questions being asked here are answered in the RC3 topic on the website chameleon.osx86.hu.

I'll give a brief rundown of my experience so far. I was already using Chameleon RC2 so all I had to do was replace the boot file with the one provided in the RC3 package. As was mentioned in an earlier post there is an installer available if you are starting from scratch or if you're a command line user that option is available by default. Many of the problems encountered for me were related to a now known bug for users booting from a USB stick. The Boot.plist file on the USB stick is not being read so you are forced to enter those commands from the Chameleon boot prompt. My current boot string is:

-v arch=i386 "Graphics Mode"="1400X1050X32"

This boots in verbose (-v) 32bit kernel (arch=i386) vesa graphics mode 1400X1050X32 which I use because my video card (ATI HD 3870) is not supported at this time and will otherwise default to 1024X768. If you're loading Boot.plist from the hard disks /Extra folder instead of a USB stick then these commands can be automated in the kernel flags string of that file (com.apple.Boot.plist).

Take a look at their site for more detailed answers.

Sure, site is an good way - but most of the questions there would be needless, if ther would be an really useful manual for such things like:

Ch on an HD with different OS X Systems (10.5 / 10.6), active boot = 10.5

USB Boot issues / solution: type in the kernel_flag bootscreem -v arch=i386

Also some questions their arent answered like new VBIOS Yes/No.

Would be fine if one of the CH team takes some time to make such an manual with main error examples&fixxes of that (more than an readme) - over the time , i am 110% sure, that saves much time for the ch team dont must look+answer at least 60% questions on their forum/site.

Would be fine if one of the CH team takes some time to make such an manual with main error examples&fixxes of that (more than an readme) - over the time , i am 110% sure, that saves much time for the ch team dont must look+answer at least 60% questions on their forum/site.

I totally agree, releasing updates with new features that are poorly documented causes much confusion and too many unnecessary questions that should have at least a few examples to start with. The answer usually given is if you don't understand it don't use it. Nobody forcing us to update. I guess that's the price you pay living on the bleeding edge of the technology. Sometimes it's fun :D , sometimes disaster :P .

YEP.

I got now USB Booting (CH R3) to my HD partitions working with your hint , typing the kernel flags in (because on USB boot.plist isnt used=bug)

Problem:

DVDs in my AHCI DVD (AHCI, ICH9 native, Pioneer 217F) arent shown, even if i press F5 (resan)m or F10.

Only all Win/Mac Volumes shown (also all AHCI ICH9 native).

Anyone else have this problem (DVD´s not shown as boot device) and at least an workaround ?

If I use RC3 installer, firmware abi displayed as a "EFI32"

if I type in Terminal

"ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi"

it returns me

"| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">"

In System Profiler I have " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes "

But, if I use PC EFI 10.1, firmware abi displayed as a "EFI64".

Do you have EFI64 with Chameleon RC3?

Thank's!