PC start-up chime

Attil@

27 posts in this topic

I've found a great circuit on the net that can play back WAV data from an EEPROM. I've got the idea to make a Mac-styled start-up chime player for my PC. I recorded the chime from my old PowerMac 8500 and did all the editing. It's ready to be programmed into the EEPROM, what I cannibalized from a broken P2 MoBo. I'll tell more details when it will be finished, because I can't make a PCB and program the EEPROM at home, only at my friend, but he will have time for me on monday or tuesday.

Are you interested in this?

When the power goes on, the circuit plays the sound. In this state I have the drawing it will play looped, so I'll need some timing circuit or something similar.

amdprophet: Yes, you can play an other sound, but it has to be mono 8-bit PCM raw data regardless to the sampling rate. But it has to fit in the EEPROM. I used the 16kHz sampling rate and the whole thing fits into 54KB.

I just have to hack my BIOS to show an Apple bootscreen now :)

When the power goes on, the circuit plays the sound. In this state I have the drawing it will play looped, so I'll need some timing circuit or something similar.

amdprophet: Yes, you can play an other sound, but it has to be mono 8-bit PCM raw data regardless to the sampling rate. But it has to fit in the EEPROM. I used the 16kHz sampling rate and the whole thing fits into 54KB.

I just have to hack my BIOS to show an Apple bootscreen now :)

hi... do you have a success now on the bios bootscreen to show Apple Logo??... sorry you started this... i also started a thread asking this... i wanted also to change the acer logo of my lappy

The circuit is designed, but I won't publish it till I haven't tested it. This is because I don't want to put here a non-working thing.

bofors: No, thanks. I am an electronics hobbyist. I can't program very well.

i1sam: it was just an idea. Old IBM computers (300GL series) had an option while flashing BIOS to change the startup screen. But I didn't see this thing since then.

The circuit is designed, but I won't publish it till I haven't tested it. This is because I don't want to put here a non-working thing.

bofors: No, thanks. I am an electronics hobbyist. I can't program very well.

i1sam: it was just an idea. Old IBM computers (300GL series) had an option while flashing BIOS to change the startup screen. But I didn't see this thing since then.

THANKS for the quick reply attil@... i know intel board has this utility to custom thier flash screen bios.. i dont know if bofor already done this... its supported to newer and some older intel board... i just did not tried it yet on my intel board d945gnt... i just hoping a general appz... hope acer has the same(i dont have high hopes since their are OEM).... thanks again... ill be following up your success on the chime bootup... GOODLUCK Attil@

i know intel board has this utility to custom thier flash screen bios.. i dont know if bofor already done this... its supported to newer and some older intel board... i just did not tried it yet on my intel board d945gnt...

I have had not tried this yet, but I know you are talking about. It is a feature of Intel's Integrator Tool Kit (ITK), it lets you customize the BIOS splashscreen.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/itk.htm

But I doubt it will work on an MSI board. Some people might know how to work with that board on at Wim's BIOS forum:

http://www.wimsbios.com/

I have had not tried this yet, but I know you are talking about. It is a feature of Intel's Integrator Tool Kit (ITK), it lets you customize the BIOS splashscreen.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/itk.htm

But I doubt it will work on an MSI board. Some people might know how to work with that board on at Wim's BIOS forum:

http://www.wimsbios.com/

thanks a lot bofor... i been following all your thread.. (got my mobo same as yours.. except those 2 dell lcd... wow i love those)... will try the link now..

Attil@... ill be watching the devt of your chime...

I just came accross this thread, and boy am I impressed at the level of ingenuity going into this project!

I remember the old knockoff macs back in the day, I reckon its going to happen all over again now, but this time 10x better :D

Im just going to sit back and admire the masters at work :)

I'm etching with ferrous chloride... and my friend had some... But I think I'll make an other board (single sided), because the routes are very thin on one side and I have a lot of work to correct them (they are interrupted).

OK, I'm gonna release the schematic and the prepared EEPROM file. There are 3 files in the ZIP archive:

schematic.png - the schematic drawn in Eagle 4.16. If you are interested in the Eagle files, write me.

macchime.bin - the chime sampled at 16kHz, for 512kbit EEPROMs

macchime128k.bin - same as macchime.bin, but padded with silence to fill a 1Mbit EEPROM (that I use)

RENEMBER!

You are giong to build this project at your own responsibility! I am not responsible for any damage caused by this circuit!

PS: the chime is sampled from my Power Macintosh 8500/180

macchime.zip

It's in the ZIP. You just have to rename macchime.bin to macchime.pcm and import it with an audio editing software, that can import raw PCM data. Then it should ask for the sampling rate, bit-depth and stereo /ono. It's sampled at 16kHz, 8-bit, mono.

Also, I have a 16-bit version...

...and about the BIOS screen: sorry, I can't help :P

for startup screen u could use an app called cbrom

here is a guide

http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/how%20to%20mod%20a%20bios.htm

i did this to an old socket a board a few years ago.

good luck

That just changes the EPA logo not the full screen, right?