problems with Silverlight..

snowy58

13 posts in this topic

Hi

I've been running Leopard for quite a while, and just got Snow Leopard installed on my GA-EP35-DS3P.

There are a a couple of strange problems that I keep recurring and I wonder if anyone in the community has the answer.

One app that is a problem is Microsoft Silverlight. When the installer is run it has a script that runs called "installation check" It always finds my Intel Hack to be a PowerPC, and tells me that Silverlight can't be installed on a PowerPc machine. This is only an inconvenience for Silverlight, as the "Installation Check" script can be removed from the install package, and then the installer runs fine.

There are other apps that I think base their decision to install or not on similar criteria. I use an audio plugin that won't install.

I wonder if there's a common thread to these problems??

For now, does anyone know why Silverlight acts this way?

All insights appreciated!

Hi

I've been running Leopard for quite a while, and just got Snow Leopard installed on my GA-EP35-DS3P.

There are a a couple of strange problems that I keep recurring and I wonder if anyone in the community has the answer.

One app that is a problem is Microsoft Silverlight. When the installer is run it has a script that runs called "installation check" It always finds my Intel Hack to be a PowerPC, and tells me that Silverlight can't be installed on a PowerPc machine. This is only an inconvenience for Silverlight, as the "Installation Check" script can be removed from the install package, and then the installer runs fine.

There are other apps that I think base their decision to install or not on similar criteria. I use an audio plugin that won't install.

I wonder if there's a common thread to these problems??

For now, does anyone know why Silverlight acts this way?

All insights appreciated!

Yes, I tracked this down a long time ago. Basically the installer is looking for "Processor Name" and none of the injectors are able to supply that value into the smbios.

Yes, I tracked this down a long time ago. Basically the installer is looking for "Processor Name" and none of the injectors are able to supply that value into the smbios.

Ok.. I have an smbios.plist file being used in my install. It loads from the extra folder. If I edit this, what would I want to change it to?

thanks

No need to use Pacifist, Right-click (or ctrl+click) on the .pkg file and choose “Show Package Contents

Browse to: Contents > Resources and then Right-click on “InstallationCheck” and choose to “Move to Trash”. Close all the windows and double click to run the .pkg again.

;)

No need to use Pacifist, Right-click (or ctrl+click) on the .pkg file and choose “Show Package Contents

Browse to: Contents > Resources and then Right-click on “InstallationCheck” and choose to “Move to Trash”. Close all the windows and double click to run the .pkg again.

;)

Hey Sysyphus - nice trick :)

Thanks

"......and none of the injectors are able to supply that value into the smbios"

So can't be done yet in other words.

well, I found a way to change the processor name displayed in "About This Mac"

Go here: /System/Library/CoreServices/Rescources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings

change "Unknown" to whatever you want.

Silverlight still sees my machine as a powerpc. I think that the installer probably isn't looking for stuff in "About this Mac" It's probably looking for machine code somewhere else.

let me know if you learn anything more...

thanks

well, I found a way to change the processor name displayed in "About This Mac"

Go here: /System/Library/CoreServices/Rescources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings

change "Unknown" to whatever you want.

Silverlight still sees my machine as a powerpc. I think that the installer probably isn't looking for stuff in "About this Mac" It's probably looking for machine code somewhere else.

let me know if you learn anything more...

thanks

Yes, Processor Name is probably pulled from CPUID and so will probably only show up when there is a processor that has actually been used in a real Mac...eg. you'll never see any of the core2quads show up. The About this Mac dialog is just superficial and is never used to check cpu type by package installers. There is a long and detailed post about this somewhere on this board.

I've removed the InstallationCheck from Silverlight 3.0 to get it to install on my machine, but when I go to stream Netflix Firefox crashes and Safari freezes.

I don't understand this, but here's an error message I got fr. Firefox that people can take a look at:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS AT 0X000000004a30170f

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 0 + 1244665615