Kernel Panic booting from USB install/during install GA-EP45-DQ6

muckler

3 posts in this topic

Guys.. I'm bugging. Leopard was never as finicky as SL.

I've been reading all I can and thought this should work. Mostly following Unixman84s guide for the UD3P, but should be similar. Also read blackosxs guides on SL and dsdt, among many others. you know. Used boot.plist & smbios & kexts from Unixman, but is there a difference here? I'm never too sure which values aside from UUID actually matter in smbios. boot.plist has correct res, uuid & i386 flags.

-made a dsdt.aml using koalalas dsdt patcher for windows. Followed a guide from here (somewhere), first extracted from the F12 bios file I'd DLed from the GA site, then patched. I checked just about all options. Fixed cmos bug. Recompiled & saved back to mac desktop.

- Formatted 8 gb Sandisk USB stick GUID

- Installed chameleon 2 rc1 432 on USB stick

- showed invisibles, deleted boot file on stick, replaced with netkas' SL boot

- restored SL disk image onto stick using disk util, did not erase destination

- copied fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and SleepEnabler kexts into Extra/Extensions on stick

- copied my freshly cooked dsdt.aml into first /extra then also tried root of stick

-Looked up stick UUID in Disk Util, pasted it into /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, /Extra/smbios.plist and /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext

-Also removed Gphx&network EFI strings from Boot.plist as this stuff should work by way of dsdt. Sadly unable (unwiling) to try dsdt on my 10.5.7 install because I'm afraid of breaking it and not being able to boot anything.

-------------

this all to just make the USB install. Now I'm a bit confused over whether its possible to set up the final SL partition from the old leopard install (I'm still on 10.5.7) ... i.e. formatting GUID, installing chameleon, copying boot file, dsdt and extensions and corrercting UUIDs and then just installing SL ontop or whether one *must* format only from within the 10.6 install environment, install SL first, and then (somehow, from terminal?) make the neccessary mods.

-----

but I never get that far, because my stick panics usually before I even get to the install screen. when I boot with -v -x32 (or -x64, tried em all) it panics shortly after loading the kernel. when I add -f it loads all its kexts apparently, and the installer appears. I tried unchecking everything but basic install, leaving checks as is, everything. Install goes usually about 30 sec, then kernel panic. I've had the responsible processes be Installer, windowserver and fsck_hfs.

what the heck am I doing wrong here... I unplugged all other HDs but the one I'm trying to install on. It a western digital 1 tb drive, I read somewhere that some WD drives dont like SL, maybe thats it? I also mistakenly named my install stick "Untitled 1" -- would such a name be a problem?

after several attempts I used Mkext tool to rebuild an Extensions.mkext based on E/E/ and stuck that in E/. no difference.

sooo..... anyone able to help with making a working USB installer? And anyone know how to overcome panicky installers?

appreciated,

me

I've had a terrible time trying to get the USB installer working.. for the last two days..

However a week ago.. I had a perfectly going on a EP35-DS3P, which I couldn't get ongoing again..

Finally got my USB installer work to work again after

0) switching motherboard over for a EP45-DS3 (same series as yours) (the USB stick initally did not work)

1) Fully zeroing my hard disk...

2) Removing and fiddling with the bios settings.. (saem as Blockox's)

3) Pulling two sticks of ram out of my machine from 8 to 4 gig

4) Reseting the CMOS.

The USB installer seems very very unhappy if there is already files on the hard drive..

I haven't been using any Boot flags..

just Blackox's guide...

I am unclear which of the following solved my problem...

Now to get sound going once more...

Guys.. I'm bugging. Leopard was never as finicky as SL.

I've been reading all I can and thought this should work. Mostly following Unixman84s guide for the UD3P, but should be similar. Also read blackosxs guides on SL and dsdt, among many others. you know. Used boot.plist & smbios & kexts from Unixman, but is there a difference here? I'm never too sure which values aside from UUID actually matter in smbios. boot.plist has correct res, uuid & i386 flags.

-made a dsdt.aml using koalalas dsdt patcher for windows. Followed a guide from here (somewhere), first extracted from the F12 bios file I'd DLed from the GA site, then patched. I checked just about all options. Fixed cmos bug. Recompiled & saved back to mac desktop.

- Formatted 8 gb Sandisk USB stick GUID

- Installed chameleon 2 rc1 432 on USB stick

- showed invisibles, deleted boot file on stick, replaced with netkas' SL boot

- restored SL disk image onto stick using disk util, did not erase destination

- copied fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and SleepEnabler kexts into Extra/Extensions on stick

- copied my freshly cooked dsdt.aml into first /extra then also tried root of stick

-Looked up stick UUID in Disk Util, pasted it into /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, /Extra/smbios.plist and /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext

-Also removed Gphx&network EFI strings from Boot.plist as this stuff should work by way of dsdt. Sadly unable (unwiling) to try dsdt on my 10.5.7 install because I'm afraid of breaking it and not being able to boot anything.

-------------

this all to just make the USB install. Now I'm a bit confused over whether its possible to set up the final SL partition from the old leopard install (I'm still on 10.5.7) ... i.e. formatting GUID, installing chameleon, copying boot file, dsdt and extensions and corrercting UUIDs and then just installing SL ontop or whether one *must* format only from within the 10.6 install environment, install SL first, and then (somehow, from terminal?) make the neccessary mods.

-----

but I never get that far, because my stick panics usually before I even get to the install screen. when I boot with -v -x32 (or -x64, tried em all) it panics shortly after loading the kernel. when I add -f it loads all its kexts apparently, and the installer appears. I tried unchecking everything but basic install, leaving checks as is, everything. Install goes usually about 30 sec, then kernel panic. I've had the responsible processes be Installer, windowserver and fsck_hfs.

what the heck am I doing wrong here... I unplugged all other HDs but the one I'm trying to install on. It a western digital 1 tb drive, I read somewhere that some WD drives dont like SL, maybe thats it? I also mistakenly named my install stick "Untitled 1" -- would such a name be a problem?

after several attempts I used Mkext tool to rebuild an Extensions.mkext based on E/E/ and stuck that in E/. no difference.

sooo..... anyone able to help with making a working USB installer? And anyone know how to overcome panicky installers?

appreciated,

me

I'd try and stick with Blackoxs guide... use his files as well... the EP45-DS3L he uses belongs to the same generation as the EP45-DS3 and EP45-DQ6

Disable everything that is not required..

Do not overclock...

Do NOT hose your leopard installation.. it wa the only thing that kept me going. was being to drop into leopard to do all the fixing...

Follow his guide for the DSDT exactly.. except for the audio (leave it blank).. and substitute your video card.. preferably nvidia.. include the PEGR? option.

I had basically given up and bought yet another EP45-UDS3LR for the ALC888 audio..., before the EP45-DS3 miraculously installed.... Used to always break just after chosing the partition around 30-26 minutes to go..

P.S. just got sound going.. as I previous did with the EP35-DS3P..

Now to fix bonjour (which I have done so in the past)..

What do you know.. Both ethernet ports works for internet... only have en0 setup for bonjour though...

well waddaya know, it works!! Just follow Blackosx'd guide and my SL runs real nice. I had one more KP after first boot, but now its been going 30 mins or so no problem. Had to boot in -x64 to get it working, was panicking because of fsck at boot. Woot! Now to get sound working...