• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

ddstark

ddstark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This worked great for me! Thanks!! But it didn't work until I changed my sharing method from SMB to AFP.

krajyk

krajyk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Considering that the thread was 10 months old, I thought maybe these steps would not work for 10.6.4 users especially since couple of these users stated it was not working for them. I can confirm that my configuration worked beautifully (OS 10.6.4, DLINK DNS323). Easier to run the manual steps. Since the first backup will do the entire drive make sure you're plugged in via Ethernet. I made a mistake of running it wireless for about 30 minutes before realizing it would take several days. But after the full backup, I tried it wirelessly and again worked like a charm.

Everything is fast and smooth just like before or maybe faster than before (probably psychological). I waisted about 2 weeks trying different techniques and going through two new routers before running into this thread.

MacLover90211

MacLover90211

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just upgraded from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 on my Imac.

I ran into the same issue. It erased the previous back-up copies from 10.5 and was unable to mount a backup volume.(Error-45).

Since I had my original sparsebundle on my hardrive savely stored. I repeated the original steps when I initally started and simply re-copied my sparsebundle back on the NAS drive (Maxtor Central Axis).
Without anything else Time Machine is backing up hitchless.

If you still have your original virgin sparsebundle somewhere stored, it will save a lot of time.
Simply reinstall it on the NAS drive and it should work. This also worked in the past when the file on the SMB drive got corrupted.

fsto

fsto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great work!
The manual version worked perfectly for me, so far... :)

Attached Files

jackmarshall

jackmarshall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This is fantastic

From a complete novice -so stating the obvious for most I am sure

-snowy is the name of his mac (the bit you replace with the name of your mac)
(sounds dumb I know, but when you have no idea what any of it means, took me a while)

Do not mount the sparsebundle file you create - which will happen if you double click on it in finder, this seemed to prevent it from working and I had to recopy a completely fresh copy.

You can put your backup in a subfolder of your share, you just have to directly mount that folder as a drive using Finder, select 'Go' then 'Connect to server' and enter the full path.

Pretty sure I have all the latest updates and it works well so far.

djboff

djboff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HiYa Folks, may I thank you all for your contributions to this thread, it has been very useful for me.

My Time Vault went west about 3 months ago 18 months old, Apple have kindly offered to replace it (it was one in the batch of bad psu's) - somewhere in the region of 45 minutes ago this got me thinking.. what if I could use the replacement TimeVault as credit towards a new macmini SLServer... I mean my router has Wifi N, and is stable - my replacement Ethernet Hub/switch is 1G So really all the TimeVault offers is space, this way Apple make more money and if I could get the SLServer to work as the Time Vault Drive for 1 Macbook Pro, 1 Mac Pro, and 1 iMac G5 (TV in the Kitchen ;-) ) I'd get a much better result and the server could hide behind the HiFi Rack replacing an Apple TV which I could then sell too....

So this all hinged on the Network TimeVault to the PC's we own - And I was well rewarded by my searches (thanks to whoever made the Entourage Database point.... that may save me one day!)

So I'm happy to say that all the advise is cool - however I've had a much simpler time/journey so far - BUT this is not stress tested yet, but is working.

To test this I'm backing up my MacbookPro to the imac g5 in the kitchen, if I loose the drive on that it's no major shakes.

I decided to put the backup in root, this is bad in an environment other than trusted behind a firewall at home, the next step will make that clear

I went to System Pref on the imac G5 (Remember for the rest of this the G5 is the Time Vault) and I went into Users, I created all user accounts on the home PC's on that machine, and I made them all administrators.

I then went Show All and into sharing, I pressed add on Shared Folders and added Macintosh HD, and then under Users for the Macintosh HD share I added all the Users on the G5 and gave them all full Read&Write Access (THIS IS WHERE AN EXTERNAL DRIVE WOULD BE PERFECT - that way any inhouse hackers can only mess up that drive) but bear in mind this is just a test, I'll build it more securely when I get the SLServer. In the options section accessed by the button under the Read&Write accesses I only have share files and folders by afp ticketed.

Back to Show All, this time into energy - one that's not mandatory, but useful, Allow Ethernet to Wake up the PC so that when the PC's come online they can just get it turned on and going (obviously the G5 will only ever sleep now, no full shutdown)

Back to Show All and close that now, the G5 was now configured.... bless it's ancient socks - 5 years old, a wedding present with uses!!

I'm now back on the Macbook PRO (I'll call it PRO from now) I went into Macintosh HD on my desktop screen, the window that opens shows the G5 under Shared, I click on the G5 and then press the button in the top right of that window "connect as" and I enter my user details as i had created them on the G5 - that's all cool and Macintosh HD on the G5 springs up as an option to connect to, i click on that and leave that window alone but open.

on the PRO I goto System Preferences and click on the Time Vault Icon, in there I select "select disk" and lo and behold the G5 Macintosh HD shows up, I select that and press the Use Drive for Time Vault Button. Because this is only a test I have to stop it backing up things like the Entourage Database, Music, Photos etc, just to make it fit the old G5's smaller HDD.

Then the PRO starts its countdown, I watch the HD root and lo behold the G5 creates this:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD-1
afp://Mrs djboff’s iMac G5._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Macintosh%20HD/Mrs djboff’s Computer.sparsebundle

The Spaces did not matter (I edited my wifes name out) the afp does contain Firstname Lastname

During the time it has taken me to write this the Wireless LAN on the PRO has backed up 10Gb to the Ethernet connected G5

The Pro is running OSX 10.6.4
The G5 is running OSX 10.5.8

My next tests will be to start adding the Mac PRO on, and trying different Users. But it seems for some odd reason I've not ended up with too much pain here - like the wooden forum look - as i'm touching wood.

Will keep you all posted, hope that was useful. I think the key things are permissions and free space vs. backup size

Just read that back - i think the excitement made it a bit rambly sorry about that, post if you need and clarification so all can benefit. Cheers

dj boff :)

djboff

djboff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All

Just to confirm this works from the Mac PRO on 10.6.4 is also backing up to the G5, I tried to use the guest account to get to the G5 share, which did not - so even though I'd given Files and Folders sharing "Everyone Read&Write" the G5 still requested a user authentication, so I authenticated against my username and opened Macintosh HD on the G5. On the workstation Mac PRO I already Had TimeVault Drives from the system preferences window open, As soon as I had authenticated and added auth to keychain the drive just turned up in the Time Machine Select disk window.

I selected a small test backup and the Mac pro made this on the G5:

afp://Mrs djboff’s iMac G5._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Macintosh%20HD/Mr(me) djboff’s Mac Pro.sparsebundle

And 4Gb of a 6Gb backup has been written, I'll report if it works, and if after a full reboot of both it manages to pick it all up

Both machines rebooted,

I clicked backup-now in the drop down for Time Vault backups on the workstation Mac Pro, without any intervention at all from me it then mounted the G5's hard drive, completed a backup and then unmounted the G5, it's as if it was never there! very cool like it and it opens up some backup strategies / options

now to convince Mrs djboff that I need a SLServer

take care

djboff

Tigra Mastercoder

Tigra Mastercoder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to mac world, and after using it for several weeks decided - its time to make backup.
But mine mac mini is way limited with storage, so wanted to use my windows multimedia center / file server for storing backups, but met some troubles implementing it.

Just registered here to download script, and to say - thank you :(
Confirming, works wonderful at mac mini with latest(10.6.4) OSX.

Filipe Grillo

Filipe Grillo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Many many many thanks!
You're the man! :rolleyes:

And the best thing is: I'm sharing my hard drive with samba! I mean... smb is working so far, I'm currently in the middle of the first(HUGE) backup.

[]s

midgetin0gravity

midgetin0gravity

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to get this to work with a freenas box. I'm totally new to computer stuff, and wasn't really able to follow the directions very well. I have AFP enabled on freenas but it doesn't show up in the finder unless I manually connect to the freenas' IP. When Time Machine tries to run the backup to my freenas disk volume I get error number 45 "the disk image could not be created". If anyone could help by giving more detailed instructions (for a newbie like me) I would appreciate it.

vinceymac

vinceymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks man, it works like a dream

liriel

liriel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I couldn't get this working in Snow Leopard. The Samba share was not displayed as a possible backup drive in time machine.

However, the instructions at the following site worked for me. I wonder if the MAC ID in the sparsefile filename made a difference?

https://wiki.zealnet...chine and Samba

bea_alex

bea_alex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I spent ages looking for a fix for this. Thank you so much. Your manual solution worked brilliantly. Backing up as I'm writing this.

Tolida

Tolida

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Is there anybody using TimeMachine backup over the Internet?

I cannot get it to work...

TIA, To

Hannes72

Hannes72

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks so much. I had no hope to find a solution for that. I spent months ...
It works with your the script. Backup up since 5 minutes on Buffalo Linkstation Mini.

Best regards from Berlin, Germany!

Tolida

Tolida

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks so much. I had no hope to find a solution for that. I spent months ...
It works with your the script. Backup up since 5 minutes on Buffalo Linkstation Mini.

Best regards from Berlin, Germany!

Is this remote or the same network????

dbringold

dbringold

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bonjour,
Apres de longues heures de recherches grace à ce forum cela m'a pris 3 minutes de faire fonctionner
Time machine avec un Maxtor Shared Storage II

Thanks again for this excellent word.
From Paris
David :D

Tolida

Tolida

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Bonjour,
Apres de longues heures de recherches grace à ce forum cela m'a pris 3 minutes de faire fonctionner
Time machine avec un Maxtor Shared Storage II

Thanks again for this excellent word.
From Paris
David :D

ON a local network? or remote over internet???

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
thank you sunkid,

this works like a charm, both on my GigaMacPro and MacBookMini (Snow Leopard 10.6.4) setups.

I used the "Manual Procedure" on DNS-323 with AFP protocol, the device is recognized after issuing the command
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

dbringold

dbringold

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

ON a local network? or remote over internet???

Local Network
Don't hesitate if you have questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy