Kernel Panic during install

warrenb

41 posts in this topic

Thank you for the enlightening reply, I appreciate your help! I'm very much aware that this is for a specific setup (why do people have to state the obvious!) but thanks for telling me anyway :-) BTW, I did try to ask for help from the guy who wrote the article (again obvious).

So anyway, one reason I've always disliked asking for help is exactly for this reason, there always has to be one or two (or more) that think they need to cut down those new and trying to learn a subject... So again, yes I know I'm following this guide with a variation in hardware and yes I asked for assistance from Adam the guy that wrote the article at Lifehacker and no I don't need to be flamed in a message board where I'm attempting to get real help with the issues...

. . . very lightly roasted :angel:

I've gotten sound and ethernet and my graphics card (XFX 7300 GT 512 Mb) working!

I'm still working on getting external firewire disks recognized, and I can't see my boot disk on the desktop (although I can see it in the sidebar when I have a folder open).

Right now I'm migrating my working Leopard user and apps with migration assistant to see if all of that works.

Here's how I got my install as far as I have so far:

1. I followed the Lifehacker guide except that I deleted the DSDT.aml from the thumb drive (which caused a kernel panic when it was there).

2. On another thumb drive, I put the following files:

the chameleon folder, boot file, and Extra folder downloaded from the Lifehacker article

kext utility

EFIStudio

essential kexts (all of which I got from the drivers folder in this dmg, although I'm sure there are faster and less bloated ways of getting them):

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kxt

network kext:

IONetworkingFamily.kext inside Marvell_Yukon_88E8056_Snow106.dmg

audio kext:

VoodooHDA.Kext inside voodoohda_v021_64bit.zip

SATA/IDE kext:

JMicronATA.kext

3. After succesfully installing Snow Leopard, after restart I booted from my SL thumb drive but selected the disk I'd installed SL on during the boot process.

4. I went through the SL welcome stuff and created my user account.

5. I copied all the above-listed itmes from my 2nd thumb drive into a folder I created on the SL desktop.

6. I unpacked the kext utility and EFIStudio.

7. I copied the Extra folder to my SL disk WITHOUT the DSDT.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, and smbios.plist files (put the com.apple.Boot.plist someplace handy though, you'll be working with it later to copy in your graphics card info). Once copied, I created an Extensions folder within the Extra folder on my SL disk.

8. I copied all the above kexts to the Extensions folder EXCEPT for the VoodooHDA.Kext.

9. I draggged the Extensions folder to the desktop, and then dropped the whole folder on the kext utility (you have to enter your account password). kext utility will repair all permissions and generate a Extensions.mkext file. (Note that I'm not sure if it's necessary to drag the Extensions folder to the desktop before dropping it on the kext utility. I just did it because all the guides I read said to.)

10. I copied the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext file back into the Extra folder on my SL disk, again having to enter my account password.

11. I copied the VoodooHDA.Kext to the System/Library/Extensions folder on my SL disk and then deleted the AppleHDA.Kext file from that folder. Once again, you'll be asked for you password before doing each.

12. I ran the kext utility again. It will again repair permisions on all your kexts, both in the S/L/E folder and Extra/Extensions.

13. I ran the EFIStudio utility and found my card. I copied the long-assed hex number into the clipboard.

14. I opened com.apple.Boot.plist with TextEdit and pasted the long hex code with these tags above and around it:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE long code here<string>

Note: Paste the whole thing at the bottom of the last <string> already existing in com.apple.Boot.plist, before the </dict> tag.

15. Restart the computer. You'll still be booting from SL thumb drive but selecting the SL disk during the boot process.

16. Your audio, internet and video will probably now work. Do the Lifehacker steps now to make your SL disk bootable, except don't copy the Extra folder because you already did that above. [Refresh: open terminal, diskutil list (to get the disk number and s number of your SL disk) cd over to the Chameleon i386 directory, do the sudo fdisk command and then the sudo dd, and then sudo cp the boot file.]

17. Restart the computer. You can remove the SL thumb drive. You may have to change your BIOS to start from your SL drive.

Hope this helps! I'll report back if I can figure out the firewire and disk on desktop problem.

hey thanks for going to all the trouble to post what you did and the files

i followed what you did on my p5b deluxe mb but after a restart couldnt get internet to work.

Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 that you linked to is slightly different to theone with the board the one on the board checking the asus site

Marvell 88E8053 PCI Express Gigabit�Ethernet controller<li>Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller

not sure if that's the issue.

also the com.apple.info.plist after you added your string i'm guessing you put it in the extra folder you created in SL disk?.

would really like to get this going will try what you did again tonight to see how it goes

I did put the com.apple.info.plist (after I added my string) in the Extra folder in the SL disk. I didn't create that folder per se, I just copied the Extra folder over from the link in the Lifehacker article after removing the original DSDT.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, and smbios.plist files.

I'm not sure why the Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 that I linked to didn't work for you. When I extracted the file from that link, it resulted in a IONetworkingFamily.kext file that I put in the Extensions folder that I did create in the Extra folder I'd previously copied into the SL disk. And ethernet just worked when I restarted, after I went into Network in the System Prefs.

As an update, I've also gotten a wireless card to work as aiport with no additional kexts: a TRENDnet 108Mbps Wireless Super G PCI Adapter (TEW-443PI Version A1.1R) that's based on the Atheros chipset. But it only works when I boot up in 32-bit mode.

I also have to boot up on 32-bit mode to use VMware Fusion.

Other than that all my previous software works or worked after applying existing updates, except for Growl. But the Growl folks are working on a SL update.

hey thanks for going to all the trouble to post what you did and the files

i followed what you did on my p5b deluxe mb but after a restart couldnt get internet to work.

Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 that you linked to is slightly different to theone with the board the one on the board checking the asus site

Marvell 88E8053 PCI Express Gigabit�Ethernet controller<li>Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller

not sure if that's the issue.

also the com.apple.info.plist after you added your string i'm guessing you put it in the extra folder you created in SL disk?.

would really like to get this going will try what you did again tonight to see how it goes

I did put the com.apple.info.plist (after I added my string) in the Extra folder in the SL disk. I didn't create that folder per se, I just copied the Extra folder over from the link in the Lifehacker article after removing the original DSDT.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, and smbios.plist files.

I'm not sure why the Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 that I linked to didn't work for you. When I extracted the file from that link, it resulted in a IONetworkingFamily.kext file that I put in the Extensions folder that I did create in the Extra folder I'd previously copied into the SL disk. And ethernet just worked when I restarted, after I went into Network in the System Prefs.

As an update, I've also gotten a wireless card to work as aiport with no additional kexts: a TRENDnet 108Mbps Wireless Super G PCI Adapter (TEW-443PI Version A1.1R) that's based on the Atheros chipset. But it only works when I boot up in 32-bit mode.

I also have to boot up on 32-bit mode to use VMware Fusion.

Other than that all my previous software works or worked after applying existing updates, except for Growl. But the Growl folks are working on a SL update.

spent the last few days installing and reinstalling snow to try and get internet to work.

trying different kexts etc.

one thing i noticed when i install snow with the basics, no kexts etc. i notice that the top Ethernet port on the back on the motherboard is lit up ornage and on my router the light is a solid orange as well...i have 2 other comps hooked up to the same router/modem and they are a solid green.

when i add all the kexts you menthioned (Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 after extracting the .dmg) been one of them and restart then the orange light turns off both on the MB and modem.

same thing happens with SKGE - Gives functionally to some select Marvell Ethernet controllers

remove those particular kexts and orange light comes back on, if i boot into leopard 10.5.8 internet is working fine

gonna try a couple of other methods of installing and see if i can get any further

once again thanks for posting what you did

no prob. Sorry it hasn't worked altogether for you. for what it's worth, only one of my ethernet ports works now (the one closest to the power connector). out of curiosity, have you tried booting in 32-bit mode to see if ethernet works for you then? in case you don't know how (i didn't), during the boot process when hard disks are diosplayed, hit the tab key, then type in -x32.

spent the last few days installing and reinstalling snow to try and get internet to work.

trying different kexts etc.

one thing i noticed when i install snow with the basics, no kexts etc. i notice that the top Ethernet port on the back on the motherboard is lit up ornage and on my router the light is a solid orange as well...i have 2 other comps hooked up to the same router/modem and they are a solid green.

when i add all the kexts you menthioned (Marvell_Yukon_88E8056 after extracting the .dmg) been one of them and restart then the orange light turns off both on the MB and modem.

same thing happens with SKGE - Gives functionally to some select Marvell Ethernet controllers

remove those particular kexts and orange light comes back on, if i boot into leopard 10.5.8 internet is working fine

gonna try a couple of other methods of installing and see if i can get any further

once again thanks for posting what you did

• 2 months later...

i get same kernel panic, running a p5k w/ q6600 and an 8800gt. i was able to get 10.5.6 retail running flawlessly w/ the boot123 cd and then decided to go out and buy a copy of snow leopard and try the lifehacker guide for it, but came up w/ this kernel panic. i'm currently in the process of reformating the thumb drive and copying the image i made from the dvd back over to it (takes hours on my system :thumbsup_anim: ) once i'm done i suppose i'll try installing the package linked on lifehacker and then deleting the file(s) in the Extras folder mentioned in this thread and see if the dvd will boot.

unless anyone has any better advice :dance_24:

peace, antipop

I recently bought the mbo and until now I was not succesfull in installing Snow Leopard. Whatever I do i am ending up with a �panic (cpu0 caller 0x293e3d): should have 2 ....�

I tried various boot options like CPUS=1, Various Chameleon RC2,3,4.

Always ending after the first screen with the same Panic. :(

Finaly I saw the suggestion "remove dsdt" and ..... first since 3 weeks of trying the system continued booting

THANKS VERY MUCH for the suggestion :)

Now it installing SnowL from a 8GB cruzer stick ( and hopefully resulting in a running system)

Config is:

ASUS 5PQD turbo, Bios rev 0201

Intel core 2 Quad Q8400,

4 GB mem,

Sata Samsung 1 Tb drive,

Video XFX Geforce 9600GT.

so, as an update, i found a usb image on www.kexts.com for p5k and used that on my thumb drive and it detected my hard drives during the installer, but i got a kernel panic during installation (i also get a kernel panic during installation trying to install from within leopoard) --- i saw some advice that it could be related to the frame buffer kexts for the video cards, so i tried deleting them from the installation, but to no avail... thoroughly stumped at this point, i may suck it up and build a new system w/ a different motherboard.

• 6 months later...
same problem on asus p5b deluxe

tried it on gigabyte Ex58-Ud4p and i get past that but get stuck on the gray apple logo with the spinning wheel

hope someone has a solution

Try [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported + SL Retail DVD + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] in Tony osx86 Forum.

They have worked Gigabyte very well.

Good Luck.

Everyone:

Use the following and surely you'll reboot:

1st opcion: -v cpus=1 busratio=20

2nd opcion (in safe mode): -v -x cpus=1 busratio=20

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
Try [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Supported + SL Retail DVD + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] in Tony osx86 Forum.

They have worked Gigabyte very well.

Good Luck.

Everyone:

Use the following and surely you'll reboot:

1st opcion: -v cpus=1 busratio=20

2nd opcion (in safe mode): -v -x cpus=1 busratio=20

Good Luck

Folks, newbee here. see lots of references to setting boot flags but not clear on where and how. My boot comes up an give me the same "Should have 2 Threads..." error message. Do I need to do this in the com.apple.Boot.plist file ? F8 before boot screen does not help.

Tx

P5E-WS, Intel Core2Quad 9450

I need to install MAC OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2

My System Specs:

MotherBoard: INTEL DG41RQ DESKTOP BOARD

Processer: Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4gb RAM

Graphics:Nvidia 9800 GT

HardDrive: 320GB

Default BIOS Settings

I Used To Work With Windows 7 Before Doing This:

I Downloaded The SNOW LEOPARD CLIENT SERVER 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 SSE2 SSE3 INTEL AMD BY HAZARD ISO

and wrote the iso to a blank DVD at the speed of 4x

i booted the disk and then darwin loaded i pressed f8 and then typed "-v" without quotes

then when the setup started i opened disk utility

among the 4 partitions that i had i erased the 2nd partition in the format mac osx extended journaled

and then continued...

then i clicked on customize

i selected mac osx 10.6.2

in kernels-Legacy_Kernel 10.2.0

in bootloader-Chameleon 2.0 RC3 PC EFI 10.5

in graphics-NVEnabler

in system-elliottforcelegacy

and continued...

the installation took some time then

the setup installed successfully and i was asked to restart i restarted and immediately removed the disk from the drive

and here the problem comes

while booting i get something like this

boot0=testing

boot0=testing

boot0=testing

boot0=error

and this remains nothing goes ahead

i have tried many other combinations in customizations like this provided in mac osx86 wiki for my motherboard

Audio: Realtek ALC662 using VoodooHDA from the install DVD works perfectly, AppleAzalia works too but without input.

LAN: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) using RealtekR1000 from the install DVD works perfectly.

WLAN: Atheros AR5005GS using AtherosFix from the install DVD detected as AirPort works perfectly.

SATA & IDE: Both work perfectly using IOATAFamilyFix from the install DVD.

Optical Drive: DVD booted from 1st SATA ODD when 2nd SATA ODD exists. SATA set in BIOS as NATIVE IDE.

Shutdown, reboot and sleep work without Patches.

PS2 fix for PS2 support.

Bootloader / EFI / Kernel: Chameleon 2.0 RC3 / PC EFI 10.5 / Legacy_Kernel 10.2.0

i have also tried selecting all patches

i have also tried pressing f8 when darwin loads and typing "-v" and typing "-v arch=i386" and typing "-x -v busratio=20 cpus=1"

but still the error remains the same can any one tell me wat should i do to go ahead

any help would be appreciated

thanksss!!!!

also can help me mailing me at bhavikgothi@gmail.com with subject:MAC HELP