Kernel Panic during install

warrenb

41 posts in this topic

I've been following the installation guide at Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I'm trying to install this on a Dell Dimension e520 with a Core 2 Duo and 4 GB RAM

before the snowleopard install even begins I get stuck on a kernel panic screen:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x293e3d): "Should have 2 threads, but only found 3 for Die 0"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/i386/cpu_threads.c:1131

I've been trying to understand why this isn't working, but no luck yet... anyone have any ideas???

before the snowleopard install even begins I get stuck on a kernel panic screen:

Does your panic happen before you even get to pick the installation language, as the first apple logo appears? If so, same here with my Dell too. I'm guessing it's something in the boot file that doesn't like Dells.

How did you see the panic message? I just get the "Your computer needs to restart" message. Following the same lifehacker guide, I can't see anywhere I can type any -v boot values etc.. it just seems to boot straight into the screen with the hard drive image and then panics.

Does your panic happen before you even get to pick the installation language, as the first apple logo appears? If so, same here with my Dell too. I'm guessing it's something in the boot file that doesn't like Dells.

How did you see the panic message? I just get the "Your computer needs to restart" message. Following the same lifehacker guide, I can't see anywhere I can type any -v boot values etc.. it just seems to boot straight into the screen with the hard drive image and then panics.

The panic happens pretty much right after the darwin boot loader screen, the screen where you're given the option to press a key to specify boot options. I press a key to enter boot options and I've tried -v -x32 -f and it seems like it still comes back to the kernel panic screen which also gives me the smaller dialog informing me to reboot the machine... I've looked for the better part of a day for this kernel panic but am spinning my wheels.

I've been following the installation guide at Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I'm trying to install this on a Dell Dimension e520 with a Core 2 Duo and 4 GB RAM

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x293e3d): "Should have 2 threads, but only found 3 for Die 0"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/i386/cpu_threads.c:1131

I've been trying to understand why this isn't working, but no luck yet... anyone have any ideas???

same problem on asus p5b deluxe

tried it on gigabyte Ex58-Ud4p and i get past that but get stuck on the gray apple logo with the spinning wheel

hope someone has a solution

I've still not had any luck with this... I'm going to try again from scratch with preparing the flash drive. I am regretfully using a Sandisk Cruzer 8gb drive for the image, and I just removed the U3 junk last night so now that my drive has been freed maybe that had something to do with it... will try again.

As far as making changes to the BIOS... there aren't a lot I can change, though I did turn of hardware virtualization under performance that's about it. I'm quickly running out of solutions here ;-)

All of you with this problem - are the partitions you're trying to install to MBR or GUID? Snow Leopard requires GUID - which no one tells you until you try to install it and it fails. Some investigating is suggesting that it might be what's causing the error you're seeing.

hmmmm, I'll have to pull the drive from my machine an try to format it using the mac... maybe that is what is causing this... I'll report back.

Thanks for the tip!

Hmm. I am having the same problem. I am running a custom build though. My mobo is a ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution. My HDD is completely unformatted and brand new. I was planning on just formatting after it boots with Disc Utility. I am getting the same kernel panic every time. I have played with all kinds of BIOS options too.

All of you with this problem - are the partitions you're trying to install to MBR or GUID? Snow Leopard requires GUID - which no one tells you until you try to install it and it fails. Some investigating is suggesting that it might be what's causing the error you're seeing.

the problem most of us are having is getting to the install stage

we cant choose GUID as we cant install snow leopard.

i think the problem is in the extra folder that we are using following the guide.

i followed the same guide on my EX58-UD4P MB and wouldnt work

then i came across a thread where some one had kexts for a X58 chipset

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182818

i downloaded them and put them on my USB drive replacing the ones from the guide.

simply open the USB drive and remove the EXTRA folder to the trash and put the new ones in

and you wouldn't believe it it worked.

so i think we need to find similar kexts for the P5B series.

will post back if i come across any, there are a couple of threads on this forum where people have had some success with P5B MB so hopefully we can make this work

After experiencing the same kernel panic described above when attempting to install SL on a P5B MB using the lifehacker instructions, I was able to eliminate the panic by simply deleting the DSDT.aml file from the Extra folder on the thumb drive (thanks, AndreaG!).

Not sure if the install will be successful (about 14 minutes to go!), but just wanted to give the heads up that deleting DSDT.aml at least gets you past the kernel panic.

i think the problem is in the extra folder that we are using following the guide.

i downloaded them and put them on my USB drive replacing the ones from the guide.

simply open the USB drive and remove the EXTRA folder to the trash and put the new ones in

will post back if i come across any, there are a couple of threads on this forum where people have had some success with P5B MB so hopefully we can make this work

After experiencing the same kernel panic described above when attempting to install SL on a P5B MB using the lifehacker instructions, I was able to eliminate the panic by simply deleting the DSDT.aml file from the Extra folder on the thumb drive (thanks, AndreaG!).

Not sure if the install will be successful (about 14 minutes to go!), but just wanted to give the heads up that deleting DSDT.aml at least gets you past the kernel panic.

please post your results

would like to get my P5B deluxe working as well

wife likes using it, currently running ideneb v1.5.1, if i can get snow on it as well that would be great

look forward to your reply

Well, I also have been trying this out for the past couple weeks, and im getting a kernel panic pretty much right after the darwin prompt.

I have an Asus P6T w/ Intel Core i7

I tried doing this with leopard with similar results, never able to actually get into the installer. When SL came out, wanted to try it again using that Lifehacker guide. I am able to format my drive using GUID, tried using a boot132 method, or restoring the SL install disk to a flash drive, but, doing it that way, when I ran the chameleon installer on the drive, it would fail right at the end, so I have been using that EFI 10.1 installer which seems to work fine, but, I get pretty much the same result, kernel panic right before the installer should come up.

Now I can't wait to try not using the dsdt.aml file, I'll post back once I get a chance to try it.

please post your results

wife likes using it, currently running ideneb v1.5.1, if i can get snow on it as well that would be great

I too suspect that it is somthing in the Extra folder, because last night I removed the Extra folder from my flash drive as a test and I did get a bit further to a grey screen with a spinning beach ball so somthing in that Extra folder perhaps the dsdt.aml file, I'm going to try removing it later... but for some reason I think I might have tried that already...

The installation itself worked perfectly. I've been spending the last several hours trying to get audio, ethernet, and other than standard video options working, to no avail so far.

It might be that I'm not finding the right kexts (or even understanding kexts all that well). The funny thing is I've been working on the SL install on a an extra hard disk I have on a machine that already has 10.5.6 working very well: audio, ethernet, and video options no problem.

The last thing I tried on the SL install was to copy over a bunch of likely looking kext files from the 10.5.6 system (and then of course repair permissions), but that led back to a fatal kernel panic.

So I'm once again installing SL afresh, and then I'll try some other kexts. I've already searched around for audio and ethernet kexts for the P5B Deluxe and tried out some things I found in various places in the forum, but none of them worked (although none led to a kernel panic).

I'll report back when I get everything working.

please post your results

I deleted the DSDT.aml file and I was actually able to get into the installer, however, now when I am prompted to selected a drive to install to I get a white box with no drives present... ughhh so now new problem, but at least I got a little further...

I deleted the DSDT.aml file and I was actually able to get into the installer, however, now when I am prompted to selected a drive to install to I get a white box with no drives present... ughhh so now new problem, but at least I got a little further...

it's good to see a few of us are getting a little closer

as for your drives not showing up what have you got your sata controller set to in bios?

AHCI or IDE

i noticed i have to have mine set to IDE for disk utility to pick up the drives when installing

once you managed to install snow go back into the bios and change it to AHCI

will try it tonight after work,

it's good to see a few of us are getting a little closer

as for your drives not showing up what have you got your sata controller set to in bios?

AHCI or IDE

i noticed i have to have mine set to IDE for disk utility to pick up the drives when installing

once you managed to install snow go back into the bios and change it to AHCI

will try it tonight after work,

my sata controller is set to AHCI, but my BIOS is really limited in what it allows me to change. I don't think I can change it to IDE, or at least I'm not seeing the option anywhere... just an FYI I'm on a Dell Dimension E520...

The installation itself worked perfectly. I've been spending the last several hours trying to get audio, ethernet, and other than standard video options working, to no avail so far.

It might be that I'm not finding the right kexts (or even understanding kexts all that well). The funny thing is I've been working on the SL install on a an extra hard disk I have on a machine that already has 10.5.6 working very well: audio, ethernet, and video options no problem.

The last thing I tried on the SL install was to copy over a bunch of likely looking kext files from the 10.5.6 system (and then of course repair permissions), but that led back to a fatal kernel panic.

So I'm once again installing SL afresh, and then I'll try some other kexts. I've already searched around for audio and ethernet kexts for the P5B Deluxe and tried out some things I found in various places in the forum, but none of them worked (although none led to a kernel panic).

I'll report back when I get everything working.

it's great you got to install the software

as for the kexts we need ones that are specifically made for snow leopard not sure what exactly needs to be done

like you i have a perfect ideneb leopard install with sound and internet

so if someone knows how to port the kexts over that would be great.

After the installer came up, did you then try to partition one of your drives using the Installer's Disk Utility? I think that Snow Leopard can only be installed on a drive with a GUID partition table.

my sata controller is set to AHCI, but my BIOS is really limited in what it allows me to change. I don't think I can change it to IDE, or at least I'm not seeing the option anywhere... just an FYI I'm on a Dell Dimension E520...

After the installer came up, did you then try to partition one of your drives using the Installer's Disk Utility? I think that Snow Leopard can only be installed on a drive with a GUID partition table.

The drive doesn't even show up in the installer disk utility. The only volume that is showing in the disk utility is my flash drive which contains the snow leo installer along with boot and extras, etc...

Prior to trying the install I removed the drive and connected it to my MacBook and ran disk utility on it to format it and create a partition while also insuring that the drive has a GUID partition table. Having done all this, the installer still doesn't see the drive...

I've gotten sound and ethernet and my graphics card (XFX 7300 GT 512 Mb) working!

I'm still working on getting external firewire disks recognized, and I can't see my boot disk on the desktop (although I can see it in the sidebar when I have a folder open).

Right now I'm migrating my working Leopard user and apps with migration assistant to see if all of that works.

Here's how I got my install as far as I have so far:

1. I followed the Lifehacker guide except that I deleted the DSDT.aml from the thumb drive (which caused a kernel panic when it was there).

2. On another thumb drive, I put the following files:

the chameleon folder, boot file, and Extra folder downloaded from the Lifehacker article

kext utility

EFIStudio

essential kexts (all of which I got from the drivers folder in this dmg, although I'm sure there are faster and less bloated ways of getting them):

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kxt

network kext:

IONetworkingFamily.kext inside Marvell_Yukon_88E8056_Snow106.dmg

audio kext:

VoodooHDA.Kext inside voodoohda_v021_64bit.zip

SATA/IDE kext:

JMicronATA.kext

3. After succesfully installing Snow Leopard, after restart I booted from my SL thumb drive but selected the disk I'd installed SL on during the boot process.

4. I went through the SL welcome stuff and created my user account.

5. I copied all the above-listed itmes from my 2nd thumb drive into a folder I created on the SL desktop.

6. I unpacked the kext utility and EFIStudio.

7. I copied the Extra folder to my SL disk WITHOUT the DSDT.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, and smbios.plist files (put the com.apple.Boot.plist someplace handy though, you'll be working with it later to copy in your graphics card info). Once copied, I created an Extensions folder within the Extra folder on my SL disk.

8. I copied all the above kexts to the Extensions folder EXCEPT for the VoodooHDA.Kext.

9. I draggged the Extensions folder to the desktop, and then dropped the whole folder on the kext utility (you have to enter your account password). kext utility will repair all permissions and generate a Extensions.mkext file. (Note that I'm not sure if it's necessary to drag the Extensions folder to the desktop before dropping it on the kext utility. I just did it because all the guides I read said to.)

10. I copied the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext file back into the Extra folder on my SL disk, again having to enter my account password.

11. I copied the VoodooHDA.Kext to the System/Library/Extensions folder on my SL disk and then deleted the AppleHDA.Kext file from that folder. Once again, you'll be asked for you password before doing each.

12. I ran the kext utility again. It will again repair permisions on all your kexts, both in the S/L/E folder and Extra/Extensions.

13. I ran the EFIStudio utility and found my card. I copied the long-assed hex number into the clipboard.

14. I opened com.apple.Boot.plist with TextEdit and pasted the long hex code with these tags above and around it:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>PASTE long code here<string>

Note: Paste the whole thing at the bottom of the last <string> already existing in com.apple.Boot.plist, before the </dict> tag.

15. Restart the computer. You'll still be booting from SL thumb drive but selecting the SL disk during the boot process.

16. Your audio, internet and video will probably now work. Do the Lifehacker steps now to make your SL disk bootable, except don't copy the Extra folder because you already did that above. [Refresh: open terminal, diskutil list (to get the disk number and s number of your SL disk) cd over to the Chameleon i386 directory, do the sudo fdisk command and then the sudo dd, and then sudo cp the boot file.]

17. Restart the computer. You can remove the SL thumb drive. You may have to change your BIOS to start from your SL drive.

Hope this helps! I'll report back if I can figure out the firewire and disk on desktop problem.

it's great you got to install the software

as for the kexts we need ones that are specifically made for snow leopard not sure what exactly needs to be done

like you i have a perfect ideneb leopard install with sound and internet

so if someone knows how to port the kexts over that would be great.

. . . even by Insanely standards this is a funny thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

The Lifehacker piece linked to above by OP - & BTW why on Earth aren't you seeking help from the guy who wrote the guide you're following? - is specific to [= works only with] a specific model of Gigabyte motherboard & specific model of NVIDIA graphics card. The author states this clearly & provides links for their purchase.

The files linked to in the above guide have been packaged &/or hacked to work with its specific components & you will have hassles of varying degree if your hardware differs *in any way*

By contrast, the guide by Prasys referred to later in this thread here is from a respected source - Prasys is well-known in the 'scene' - & more-or-less Universal [=works with the moderate range of hardware supported by OSX86].

There are many guides here at Insanelymac: perhaps I might suggest that you use the search function here to find one focused on your hardware & needs - then you will have a sensible place to post about your experiences & ask for help.

Otherwise - if you will forgive me lingering over an appreciative summary: you are posting here at Insanely, asking for help re: a guide posted elsewhere; which guide is specific to different hardware than you use . . . . .

. . . priceless :rolleyes:

. . . even by Insanely standards this is a funny thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

The Lifehacker piece linked to above by OP - & BTW why on Earth aren't you seeking help from the guy who wrote the guide you're following? - is specific to [= works only with] a specific model of Gigabyte motherboard & specific model of NVIDIA graphics card. The author states this clearly & provides links for their purchase.

The files linked to in the above guide have been packaged &/or hacked to work with its specific components & you will have hassles of varying degree if your hardware differs *in any way*

By contrast, the guide by Prasys referred to later in this thread here is from a respected source - Prasys is well-known in the 'scene' - & more-or-less Universal [=works with the moderate range of hardware supported by OSX86].

There are many guides here at Insanelymac: perhaps I might suggest that you use the search function here to find one focused on your hardware & needs - then you will have a sensible place to post about your experiences & ask for help.

Otherwise - if you will forgive me lingering over an appreciative summary: you are posting here at Insanely, asking for help re: a guide posted elsewhere; which guide is specific to different hardware than you use . . . . .

. . . priceless :P

Thank you for the enlightening reply, I appreciate your help! I'm very much aware that this is for a specific setup (why do people have to state the obvious!) but thanks for telling me anyway :-) BTW, I did try to ask for help from the guy who wrote the article (again obvious).

So anyway, one reason I've always disliked asking for help is exactly for this reason, there always has to be one or two (or more) that think they need to cut down those new and trying to learn a subject... So again, yes I know I'm following this guide with a variation in hardware and yes I asked for assistance from Adam the guy that wrote the article at Lifehacker and no I don't need to be flamed in a message board where I'm attempting to get real help with the issues...