[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

The only thing I can think of is recheck your BIOS settings. I assume you have a SATA DVD drive.

Yes indeed it's SATA

ok so here is the story

First it is a EP-35-DS4 :

post-205912-1253110561_thumb.jpg

Then unless the PCIe graphic card, there's absolutely nothing on PCI ports :

post-205912-1253110619_thumb.jpg

here are my BIOS settings which are stricktly the same as on the link from your guide :

post-205912-1253110703_thumb.jpg

post-205912-1253110751_thumb.jpg

post-205912-1253110773_thumb.jpg

and voilà where I stop :

post-205912-1253110830_thumb.jpg

I really don't get what my problem is since all you guys seems succesfull :(

Yes indeed it's SATA

ok so here is the story

First it is a EP-35-DS4 :

Then unless the PCIe graphic card, there's absolutely nothing on PCI ports :

I really don't get what my problem is since all you guys seems succesfull :thumbsup_anim:

My installation attempt stops at exactly the same point as yours. And it's a EP35-DS4 with a SATA dvd drive.

So you have nothing connected to the IDE ports? Is your keyboard and mouse USB or PS/2? Are you booting the tseug's loader CD and then the retail Snow Leo DVD?

Absolutely no IDE, my keyboard is the Apple USB one, and yes I'm booting with the tseug slboot cd, then the retail Snow Leopard

Absolutely no IDE, my keyboard is the Apple USB one, and yes I'm booting with the tseug slboot cd, then the retail Snow Leopard

It stops right before it would normally change to graphics mode so I'm guessing the graphics card is a problem.

If you're already running a Leopard installation you can restore the snow leopard DVD to an empty partition and then run the installer on it. Normally, it would be possible to boot into this partition, but probably not with your graphics card. However, whatever you did to make the card working with leopard might also work with the restored partition.

That's assuming you already run OS X of course. If not, I think you're in trouble :)

It stops right before it would normally change to graphics mode so I'm guessing the graphics card is a problem.

If you're already running a Leopard installation you can restore the snow leopard DVD to an empty partition and then run the installer on it. Normally, it would be possible to boot into this partition, but probably not with your graphics card. However, whatever you did to make the card working with leopard might also work with the restored partition.

That's assuming you already run OS X of course. If not, I think you're in trouble :)

Yes I'm running Leopard installed with the Boot 132 method, and I remember I had to install it with -x because otherwise the screen was totally messy, and then add the Natit kext for Radeon 2600. But of course I already tried the -x trick for the Snow Leopard but nothing happened either.

@pzyx

What is your graphic card ?

Yes I'm running Leopard installed with the Boot 132 method, and I remember I had to install it with -x because otherwise the screen was totally messy, and then add the Natit kext for Radeon 2600. But of course I already tried the -x trick for the Snow Leopard but nothing happened either

You could try the restore facility in disk utility, run the installer on the partition and then add the natit.kext to Extra/Extensions.

Works perfectly on a GA-P35-DQ6.

Just a little problem, my wireless pci card with broadcom chipset, worked fine until the installation of the kext package. Now the system says "No Airport card installed". Any idea?

EDIT:

I have another problem, this time with the sata disc drive (pioneer 216D).

The system says: The disc can’t be used because the disc drive is not supported (error code 0x80020025).

EDIT: Solved disabling JMicron controller.

Works perfectly on a GA-P35-DQ6.

Just a little problem, my wireless pci card with broadcom chipset, worked fine until the installation of the kext package. Now the system says "No Airport card installed". Any idea?

Others have had problems with their wifi cards. I can only assume that the generated DSDT.aml somehow interferes. I don't know what the solution might be.

Installed this evening after several KPs on my initial install (specs are in signature save for OS is now 10.6). After diligently doing updates for iLife 08 (never got 09) and adding several other programs, I was watching EyeTV Hybrid and opening up iPhoto with an existing library when I got my first KP. I proceeded to boot back into 10.6 and then got another KP while watching EyeTV Hybrid again. So far the only common theme seems to be The El Gato EyeTV Hybrid.

Also, unable to wake up computer from sleep with keyboard or mouse (MS Desktop Wireless Laser 5000) nor by plugging in new USB devices or even unplugging and replugging the wireless portion of the keyboard/mouse combo.

Anyway I can see logs (if so, please tell me how and where to post for input) of the KPs?

GA-EP45-DQ6 mobo with LS8 provided link to Realtek driver.

Thank you.

Great work, tseug! I successfully installed Snow Leopard on my GA-P35-DS4 (Rev 2.0, still using BIOS version F8). I used an spare 40GB IDE drive in a USB caddy, and though installation was slow, it was entirely successful using your method. So long as I choose 'USB HDD' from the boot menu, it happily boots from USB too. I installed without printer drivers and extra languages, but added Rosetta, Quicktime and X11. I was able to update to 10.6.1 and iTunes 9 with no issues. No KPs during the couple of hours I played around with it, but I haven't installed any applications as this is just a test install. I'll try putting the HD in an external firewire case and check that works too.

Only problem I had during installation was editing the com.apple.Boot.plist; I wasn't able to 'Save' after adding the GFX hex string in TextEdit. I had to delete the old version (I presume due to user privilages) and replace it with a new 'Save as' version. Seems to work fine, graphics card recognised on reboot.

I will update my main installation in a couple of weeks, I've got a large project to get out of the way first, and don't want to mess up my current installation!

Hi Tseug,

I just wanted to send my thanks for this automated process. I had SL running, which I managed to get up an going by doing everything manually. I had random KP's and decided to go back to 10.5.

I tried your method yesterday, and have not had any KP's, and it is running buttery smooth. I also don't have any errors in console!

Anyway.. just wanted to say thanks for your hard work.

My Specs:

GA-EP35-DS4

4Gb Crucial Ballistix - 1066

PNY GeForce 8800GT 512Mb

1x WD 250 Gb, 1x WD 300Gb, 2x Seagate 500Gb (All recognized when bios set to AHCI)

LG DL DVD burner (recognized and working fine...was not recognized previously)

Everything is just working perfectly (knock on wood).

EDIT: One thing I should mention is SLEEP with S3. It does go to Sleep, and Does wake up, but once it wakes up, it locks up within seconds. No biggie though, i never got sleep working in 10.5 either (so I just set it to S1 state)

Do firewire work fully with your boards? I'm considering buying a Gigabyte EP45-DS3P and it is crucial that firewire is working. Do you reckon that mobo will work with this guide?

I haven't tested it, but it does show up in "About this mac" and my System Preferences as "FireWire"

I have an EP35-DS4 though.

Hello, I'm with GA-P35-DS4 and I'm tryin to boot from the boot CD with no success. It just stops at "booting from cd: done" and the chameleon boot loader never appears. What should I do? Maybe try some other boot CD? :P

Hello, I'm with GA-P35-DS4 and I'm tryin to boot from the boot CD with no success. It just stops at "booting from cd: done" and the chameleon boot loader never appears. What should I do? Maybe try some other boot CD? :P

I had the same issue with.

I downloaded another version from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/278324346/cdbootSL.iso

Seemed to do the trick! I'm not sure what the difference is...same file size.

Yes I'm running Leopard installed with the Boot 132 method, and I remember I had to install it with -x because otherwise the screen was totally messy, and then add the Natit kext for Radeon 2600. But of course I already tried the -x trick for the Snow Leopard but nothing happened either.

@pzyx

What is your graphic card ?

I have a Radeon 3850 and a Leopard installation which is working fine now. Can't remember what driver I had to install for the graphics card

Hi, first of all, thanks heaps for the guide. This one is the simplest one by far. Well done mate!

Second, I cannot install it.... I have a gigabyte ex38DS4 with a HIS radeon 4870 1gb. I am currently running 10.5.8 with no troubles at all....but for some reason when I boot up from the CD and then select the SL install disc, it hangs at phyWaitforAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT. PLEASE HELP, I don;t know what's going on.

Thanks in advance

Orbitaldebri

Hi, first of all, thanks heaps for the guide. This one is the simplest one by far. Well done mate!

Second, I cannot install it.... I have a gigabyte ex38DS4 with a HIS radeon 4870 1gb. I am currently running 10.5.8 with no troubles at all....but for some reason when I boot up from the CD and then select the SL install disc, it hangs at phyWaitforAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT. PLEASE HELP, I don;t know what's going on.

Thanks in advance

Orbitaldebri

Is there a way to disable your built-in NIC from bios?

If you can disable it through bios, try that!

Is there a way to disable your built-in NIC from bios?

If you can disable it through bios, try that!

Yup, tried that...it then gives another timeout at an earlier step. This is the error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start-waitforservice(resourcematching(AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement) timed out

I had the same issue with.

I downloaded another version from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/278324346/cdbootSL.iso

Seemed to do the trick! I'm not sure what the difference is...same file size.

Hey, this cd is not working either. It boots and then restarts the computer. Then it boots again and restarts again. Someone know where can I find some working boot CD? :)

Hey, this cd is not working either. It boots and then restarts the computer. Then it boots again and restarts again. Someone know where can I find some working boot CD? :)

Do you have AHCI enabled in bios?

I remember mine would reboot repeatedly. I think it finally worked once I enabled AHCI!

Try that dude...should work.

Yeah, man, you're right! That worked, and I can now boot with the first CD as well. But there's another problem, which I think is something with the BIOS again. When I try to load the Retail DVD I get this error:

EBIOS read error: Error 0x01

Block 0x79c4 Sector S0

... or something like that. And I think the same error flashes before the chameleon boot screen appears. What have I done wrong again? :)