[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

Poll: Did it work without issues? (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Install check

1. Yes (GA-P35-DS4) (165 votes [38.55%])

Percentage of vote: 38.55%

2. No (GA-P35-DS4) (43 votes [10.05%])

Percentage of vote: 10.05%

3. Yes (Different MB) (164 votes [38.32%])

Percentage of vote: 38.32%

4. No (Different MB) (56 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

CmCd01

CmCd01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 74 posts

Preliminary guide for installing OS X Lion on GA-P35-DS4 and similar motherboards available here

Looks very cool, tseug, thanks. For those of us following you for awhile, is it possible to upgrade to Lion from our current 10.6, or do you recommend a clean install as per the new guide?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Looks very cool, tseug, thanks. For those of us following you for awhile, is it possible to upgrade to Lion from our current 10.6, or do you recommend a clean install as per the new guide?

Clean install on another partition and only to check it out. Lion is still in serious beta mode.

CmCd01

CmCd01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 74 posts

Clean install on another partition and only to check it out. Lion is still in serious beta mode.

Oh, I'm waiting until the final release in a month, not in a hurry.

soren121

soren121

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:-Advocate of OSx86 Snow Leopard and Windows 7!<br /><br />-XHTML/CSS web des...
Is there any way I could install Snow Leopard on a non-GUID disk? I already have Windows 7 Pro installed on my OS disk, and I don't want to wipe it.

MajorApollo

MajorApollo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
tseug, wanted to thank you. Been playing with my Hackintosh off and on for years, and using your latest installer I've never had a more flawless installation. Thanks for the hard work!

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Updating to 10.6.8 will break audio.

The fix is here (ALC885_889a_LION.zip).

I seems to work without any issues. You might as well delete /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext while you're at it since it doesn't work anymore.

sparkyboy767

sparkyboy767

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the info on 10.6.8! Updating now...

EDIT: Worked like a charm. Just did a System Update followed by the audio fix.

haXis

haXis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
updated to 10.6.8 with GA-P35-DS3L... for sound you will need to delete LegacyHDA.kext and use this ALC888 driver: http://bit.ly/joPSs5

All works fine now :worried_anim:

herbalb

herbalb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I updated via system update, deleted AppleHDA.kext in Extra->Extensions and placed ALC885_889a.kext in that same folder, but no sound.
Did I miss something?

UPDATE:
OK, its working now. I had to put the ALC885_889a.kext in system-->Library-->Extensions and modify the AppleHDA.kext in the same folder according to the readme in the file from Tseug's post above (#766).
At least for me it did not work when having these files placed in Extra->Extensions.

Everything works great now. ;)

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Thanks tseug for audio update!!!

The Goat

The Goat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Updating to 10.6.8 will break audio.

The fix is here (ALC885_889a_LION.zip).

I seems to work without any issues. You might as well delete /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext while you're at it since it doesn't work anymore.

Hi Tseug,

I'be been following this guide since the early 80's. Is that possible? I don't know; I'm not a time machine. Do you know if a new SleepEnabler.kext is required for 10.6.8? Thanks! This guide is awesome. It's actually what got me interested in Macs. :blink:

Barcode

Barcode

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi -- I've searched, and there doesn't seem to anything posted about particular issues upgrading from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8. I haven't had a chance to look at the machine yet, but my daughter reports Airport grayed out in Network Preferences and diagnostics says it's not configured. It's a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 with a Linksys WMP300N which has always worked perfectly.

Any suggestions?

knassy

knassy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I used this guide ages ago to set things up and it worked a treat.

After upgrading to 10.6.8 my audio broke and I had a go at fixing it myself. This did not go well.

I've got a superduper clone of the HDD at 10.6.7 (just before I updated to 10.6.8).

To get the bootloader on to this clone should I just rerun the GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer?

I see there's a much better solution for applying the audio fix :blink: cheers.

thebiglebow

thebiglebow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Mac appstore is not working anymore :-( after 10.6.8 update
Error message: Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.
I tried to modify my com.apple.boot.plist with the following, but without success.
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>0</string>

Does someone know how to solve this issue ?

Regards,

the biglebow

thebiglebow

thebiglebow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Does someone know how to solve this issue ?

Yes, Me :-)
As you can see in my signature my Ethernet port is not the built-in one.
In order to let Apple think that it is the built-in one add this /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

This solve the problem.

hope this will help others ...

Cheers,

The Dude

herbalb

herbalb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Can I install the OS X 10.6.8 supplemental update without breaking anything or is there anything that needs to be done afterwards?

The description of this update says something about fixing audio issues so I guess it includes a new audio kext-file?!

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 114 posts
hi tseug and others
can I update from 10.6.8 to Lion or is it have to be clean install if I want to have Lion?
I'm happy with Snow just asking.

mcolinp

mcolinp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I have found that my sound is broken after updating to 10.6.8; I have tried the fix described above, but it has not remedied the problem. Is anyone else suffering the same pain?

GA-P35-DS4 w/2.83 quad Intel, 4GB ram, 2TB software raid (4 disks)

AndrewSM

AndrewSM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have found that my sound is broken after updating to 10.6.8; I have tried the fix described above, but it has not remedied the problem. Is anyone else suffering the same pain?

GA-P35-DS4 w/2.83 quad Intel, 4GB ram, 2TB software raid (4 disks)

I had the very same problem. Fixed it by reinstalling AppleHDA Rollback in ##### (taken from here http://tonymacx86.bl...68-update.html).

But with 10.6.8 I started having problems with waking up from sleep. It works about 4 out of 5 times I try to wake up, but sometimes the computer starts with black screen and no HDD activity and I have to hard reset computer. It might be something with sleep itself or with Nvidia driver, I have no clue. Anyone having the same problem and figured how to fix this?

Thanks

Warped

Warped

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,
I have fully working SL 10.7.4 on GA-P35-DS4.
Unfortunately one thing is not working: WOL
I'm using latest Realtek81xx driver (0.0.90) and .
"Wake for Ethernet network access" is enabled.

What area should I investigate: DSDT.aml or Chameleon ?

-br

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy