[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

Poll: Did it work without issues? (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Install check

1. Yes (GA-P35-DS4) (165 votes [38.55%])

Percentage of vote: 38.55%

2. No (GA-P35-DS4) (43 votes [10.05%])

Percentage of vote: 10.05%

3. Yes (Different MB) (164 votes [38.32%])

Percentage of vote: 38.32%

4. No (Different MB) (56 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MOmann

MOmann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a lot for the great update, but two things don't quite work out for me (Q6600, P35 DS4):

- The machine immediatly wakes up again after trying to put it to sleep. No matter if I try hibernatemode 0 or 3.

- SpeedStep doesn't work at all and my cpu is stuck at 3Ghz. It acutally works with VoodooPowerMini.kext, but I wantet to avoid that.

Any ideas on this?

GraphicsEnabler=yes was quite a bad thing for me though, using a HD6870 resultet in a not booting system.

Greetings.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Thanks a lot for the great update, but two things don't quite work out for me (Q6600, P35 DS4):

- The machine immediatly wakes up again after trying to put it to sleep. No matter if I try hibernatemode 0 or 3.

Double check your bios settings. Did it work with SleepEnabler.kext?

- SpeedStep doesn't work at all and my cpu is stuck at 3Ghz. It acutally works with VoodooPowerMini.kext, but I wantet to avoid that.

I let Chameleon worry about SpeedStep. I can see NullCPUPower...kext is no longer needed but I haven't found a way to directly test whether SpeedStep works. How did you test it?

RichardJ

RichardJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Well in the end I tracked down what was going on, with my screen blanking problems. It took me quite a while, but I got the big hint after trying to install tonymacx86 ##### in frustration. It turned out that I managed to do a fairly easy install of ##### and I could upgrade it to 10.6.7 but when I tried to get my 9800GTX+ card working by enabling graphics, then the screen blanked. This tweaked me to the fact that this was actually a graphics card problem rather than some crash or something.

What was happening was this http://www.insanelym.../t214129-0.html . That is with DVI / HDMI and 8800 and 9800 based NVidia cards bad things happen. My monitor has a HDMI input and thus basically this series of nvidia graphic card ceases to function with HDMI. Lots of attempts where made by others, and I even tried a few in that thread but you could see that others had tried much harder than me to get things working and still didn't get things working, so in the end I just went out the next day and bought an ATI HD5770.

Thus... I can confirm that Tesug's new method works very smoothly and perfectly on my EP35-DS3R with a HD5770. I made no deviations at all to his install method (ie I installed no extra kext's nor changed eg com.apple.Boot.plist).

My problem was my graphics card 9800GTX+ and using HDMI (I could have stuck with using a d-sub adapter but then the graphics are "fuzzy").

(Actually I would like to upgrade my graphics card to something a bit more spiffy than a HD5770 since this card has basically the same performance as a 9800GTX+. Ie I would like to upgrade to a HD5870 at least but looking on the hackintosh sites it wasn't clear to me that the HD5870 was working correctly so i didn't want to risk more time so I just went with the HD5770 in the end. Does anyknow know if other higher end graphic cards work out of the box with Tesug's install... Eg I also had my eye on a GTX 560 Ti but it looks like these are not supported either. In fact it looks like the support for many of the newer graphics cards is highly lacking on at least the hackintosh scene.)

(In any case thanks for your efforts Tseug!!!!) I am happily running 10.6.7 now...

Thanks,
Richard

Stellair

Stellair

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Is there a workaround for the sleep problem?

How to dual boot SL/W7 ?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Is there a workaround for the sleep problem?

What sleep problem?

How to dual boot SL/W7 ?

Follow a dual boot guide.

MOmann

MOmann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Double check your bios settings. Did it work with SleepEnabler.kext?

Already did that, those are correct. And yes, it used to work before with sleepenabler.
But i guess, this is a problem with my new AMD graphics card, so nevermind.

I let Chameleon worry about SpeedStep. I can see NullCPUPower...kext is no longer needed but I haven't found a way to directly test whether SpeedStep works. How did you test it?

I just ran sysctl -a | grep cpufrequency and all of the values are 3000000000 all the time.
Also used cpu-x.app to confirm. Using voodoopowermini.kext, it would go down to 1.6ghz.

I just realized one entry in my logs:

13.04.11 12:00:47 com.apple.kextd[10] Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
13.04.11 12:00:47 com.apple.kextd[10] Load com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement failed; removing personalities.
13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: _lapic_start
13.04.11 12:00:48 kernel Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - link failed.

But it exists and I didn't touch it..

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

I just ran sysctl -a | grep cpufrequency and all of the values are 3000000000 all the time.
Also used cpu-x.app to confirm. Using voodoopowermini.kext, it would go down to 1.6ghz.

I've used MSR tools (only works in 32 bit kernel mode). It shows it working fine. Google says: http://techreport.co...hp?f=15&t=70467

I've never seen the error in my log. Did you update or reinstall?

MOmann

MOmann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
MSR shows the same - always max. frequency (although it says "Speedstop on").
And regarding my sleep problem: I just found out that I got the same on Windows7.
In both systems when trying to enter sleep mode, harddisks and screens turn off but the system stays on and the only thing I can do is push the reset button.

So obviously it's not OS X' fault (which doesn't help me a lot).

And I upgraded.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

MSR shows the same - always max. frequency (although it says "Speedstop on").
And regarding my sleep problem: I just found out that I got the same on Windows7.
In both systems when trying to enter sleep mode, harddisks and screens turn off but the system stays on and the only thing I can do is push the reset button.

So obviously it's not OS X' fault (which doesn't help me a lot).

And I upgraded.

I can't sleep in W7 either. It just goes to locked screen. I'm assuming W7 doesn't like the BIOS settings. The error in the log looks suspicious. You could either try using SleepEnabler or try reinstalling on an empty partition. That's all I've got, I'm afraid.

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 66 posts
How is wireless working in 10.6.7 guys and what wireless card are you using with ga-p35-ds4?

cheers

MOmann

MOmann

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
regarding sleep and win7, I found this:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=236626

seems boot0hfs does the trick, also read something about this in a recent chameleon changelog.

Edit: After a fresh install on a second drive and copying a lot of kexts and stuff over to my original system, sleep now works. SpeedStep still doesn't, but I don't really care. Thanks a lot, tseug.

nathandw

nathandw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi Luki,

I'm using a Linksys WMP300N. Working flawlessly and otb. Supports G- and N-Wifi. I don't know where to get it anymore. You could try ebay or amazon.

Good luck!

How is wireless working in 10.6.7 guys and what wireless card are you using with ga-p35-ds4?

cheers

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 66 posts
I bought Atheros AR5BXB6 mini pci-e wich is official Apple Airport card for £12.99 on Ebay and Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Wireless adapter for £4.30. Wireless now working like a dream.

spfatpipe

spfatpipe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
For those using a SSD's you can now enable trim, worked for me on my GA-P35-DS4 with an Intel SSD http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1125400

touko

touko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is an excellent guide and I have been a happy Hackintosh user for a long time. But I'd like to know two things for future reference:

1. If I get a real Mac, can I import all my files and settings from a Time Machine backup with Migration Assistant without problems or do I need to uninstall/remove anything this patch did?

2. If I decide to build a new Hackintosh with different setup (and no longer can use this guide/patch) and wish to use this current OS X installation in it, how can I uninstall this patch? (to avoid possible conflicts with new hardware and kexts that it requires). Reading the "Details" section of the guide, I assume I'd need to:
- delete /Extra
- delete /usr/local/bin/ifconfig
- delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/launchd.plist

Would that be enough to make the installation completely clean of Hackintosh stuff? Do I need to do something more to remove GraphicsEnabler, SpeedStep and Chameleon?

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

1. If I get a real Mac, can I import all my files and settings from a Time Machine backup with Migration Assistant without problems

Probably. I never transfer anything but Documents and Applications anyway. If you need the rest, you will have to clean up manually.

2. If I decide to build a new Hackintosh with different setup (and no longer can use this guide/patch) and wish to use this current OS X installation in it, how can I uninstall this patch? (to avoid possible conflicts with new hardware and kexts that it requires). Reading the "Details" section of the guide, I assume I'd need to:
- delete /Extra
- delete /usr/local/bin/ifconfig
- delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/launchd.plist

Would that be enough to make the installation completely clean of Hackintosh stuff? Do I need to do something more to remove GraphicsEnabler, SpeedStep and Chameleon?

Chameleon resides in the boot sector of the drive. You would have to overwrite it with something. You also need to remove /boot. Of course you won't be able to actually boot your OS anymore.

touko

touko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Probably. I never transfer anything but Documents and Applications anyway. If you need the rest, you will have to clean up manually.

By manual cleaning, do you mean the steps I mentioned? So are they enough?

Chameleon resides in the boot sector of the drive. You would have to overwrite it with something. You also need to remove /boot. Of course you won't be able to actually boot your OS anymore.

I would of course need new fixes for a new setup and Chameleon would likely be used then too. The purpose of the cleaning would be to get all the current hackintosh fixes away so that they wouldn't conflict with any of the new ones or with the new hardware.

Do you think there could be problems using the same installation on different hardware even if these patches are cleaned up?

Thanks for answering!

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

By manual cleaning, do you mean the steps I mentioned? So are they enough?

I would suggest just transfering the home directory and optionally your applications. I've done this from a TimeMachine backup but I haven't tested it by migrating directly from another Mac. Unless you have major changes in the system files that would be time consuming to change, there really isn't much point to migrating everything. In fact, I don't even do a full migration on a reinstallation on a real mac.

I would of course need new fixes for a new setup and Chameleon would likely be used then too. The purpose of the cleaning would be to get all the current hackintosh fixes away so that they wouldn't conflict with any of the new ones or with the new hardware.

Do you think there could be problems using the same installation on different hardware even if these patches are cleaned up?

I have no idea. If you really really want go go down this path, I would suggest that instead of removing everything, you remove /Extra/DSDT.aml and /Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext. Note that if you boot on a new Hackintosh with substantially different hardware with the old DSDT.aml that the my installer generates for your machine, things will probably go very wrong.

A much safer and reasonable approach would be to set up the new Hackintosh as you want it and then migrate your old user and the Applications to the new hack. Simply putting in the new hard drive is worth a try I guess, but if it doesn't work there could be a million things wrong and it would probably be difficult to fix.

In other words: If you transfer Applications and the user home dir with Migration Assistent no Hackintosh specific files will be transferred, regardless of whether you transfer to a Mac or a new Hack.

touko

touko

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It seems that the methods I was asking about aren't worth the trouble. I'll stick to copying the Home folder and Applications like you suggest. I'm not changing away from this current Hackintosh anytime soon anyway ;) Thanks for your help.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
Preliminary guide for installing OS X Lion on GA-P35-DS4 and similar motherboards available here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy