[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

Poll: Did it work without issues? (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Install check

1. Yes (GA-P35-DS4) (165 votes [38.55%])

Percentage of vote: 38.55%

2. No (GA-P35-DS4) (43 votes [10.05%])

Percentage of vote: 10.05%

3. Yes (Different MB) (164 votes [38.32%])

Percentage of vote: 38.32%

4. No (Different MB) (56 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

tokra128

tokra128

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Can someone psot a tutorial for p35 ds4 and mac OSX Lion ?! It will be great, (Bios settings, files that you used, etc ) !!!! Thanks in advance

Ginjaian

Ginjaian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Can someone psot a tutorial for p35 ds4 and mac OSX Lion ?! It will be great, (Bios settings, files that you used, etc ) !!!! Thanks in advance

No, no one is going to post a tutorial here. Don't fsck up this thread, which is about installing Snow Leopard. Use the correct forum, post your own thread:
http://www.insanelym...p?showforum=226
And OS X Lion hasn't been released yet, it's due 'summer 2011'. If you're so far ahead of the curve, you should be able to figure it out for yourself. Try looking at Netkas's website, for a start.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Hi there.

I was getting the same annoying blue screen. There is no cursor appearing, nor any window. The solution I found, is to switch over to 32-bit mode. Tseug put a 'arch=x86_32' as kernel flag. Chameleon RC5 needs 'arch=i386' to go to 32-bit mode. Just give it a try!

Greetz Jan

Fixed. Guide updated. Thanks for the heads up :)

RichardJ

RichardJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Well I tried leaving the machine overnight (ie 8 hours) and it didn't work... :)

I then tried just now changing:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

find there:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>

But I am still getting the blue screen of death. Do I need to try installing everything again? Is there a different way to say use 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

(I also tried at the chamelon prompt just entering 'arch=i386' and also 'arch=x86_32' but neither of these did anything...)

Thanks!
Richard

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Well I tried leaving the machine overnight (ie 8 hours) and it didn't work... :censored2:

I then tried just now changing:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

find there:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

and change it to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>

But I am still getting the blue screen of death. Do I need to try installing everything again? Is there a different way to say use 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

(I also tried at the chamelon prompt just entering 'arch=i386' and also 'arch=x86_32' but neither of these did anything...)

Thanks!
Richard

change to arch=i386 in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist . /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist should not be touched. That is: undo anything you did to it.

RichardJ

RichardJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Ok I undid my change to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and made the change to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Still no luck... it just blue screens... (Well Blue is the native color of my monitor when its not getting any signal...)

For the brief time I played with it this latest version of your installer it worked just fine with 10.6 before I tried moving to 10.6.6. Maybe in playing with this I have inadvertently changed some setting? maybe I should try the whole thing from scratch again...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 151 posts
Glad we have you back tseug. I had KP after update caused by sleepenabler in S/L/E. I never knew that SE is also there.

Lucky I have dual boot with windows xp and great program MacDrive so I can access Mac partition. I deleted that SleepE and it's working now.

Only 2 kexts in E/E . I'm speechless. My Geforce 210 works now without NVEnabler kext which was slowing startup big time.

Whole system seems to work faster and smoother. What a great day. Thanks tseug. You are our hero.

Thank you.

nathandw

nathandw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Glad we have you back tseug.

Yeah! That's what I wanted to say, too. I was stuck on 10.6.4 and didn't dare an update. But then you showed up again and everyhing went fine for me (well except the 32-bit thing), but you also solved that problem by now.

One thing I noticed is that with hardcoded p-states in my dsdt.aml the CPU is running much cooler. Speedstepping worked with the p- and c-states generated by chameleon, but this way is much better.

Thx again
Jan

Ginjaian

Ginjaian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Has anyone had any success running 64 bit? I'm a heavy Adobe CS5 Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects user, with 8GB memory, so it's useful for me to run 64 bit. The old tseug version works nicely in 64 bit (except for my 2.06 version of VMWare Fusion, though I'm now trying out 64-bit compatible VirtualBox), but all the responses seem to imply you need to be running in 32 bit mode.

spfatpipe

spfatpipe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I had blue screens so I swapped the video card for
Inno3D 9500GT 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
manufacturer #: N95GT-2DDV-D2CX
Then wiped & reinstalled using a different MBR and 10.6.3 from a hard disk image then installed Tseug's new installer and combo updated to 10.6.6.
I have dual VGA outputs and 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes in profiler

Very pleased. Wish I could go into more detail but I dont have the time...

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Has anyone had any success running 64 bit? I'm a heavy Adobe CS5 Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects user, with 8GB memory, so it's useful for me to run 64 bit. The old tseug version works nicely in 64 bit (except for my 2.06 version of VMWare Fusion, though I'm now trying out 64-bit compatible VirtualBox), but all the responses seem to imply you need to be running in 32 bit mode.

OS X is 64 bit regardless. What people are talking about are whether to run 32 or 64 bit kernel which is an altogether different matter. You will have no problem addressing 8 GB i 32 bit kernel mode.

That being said, mine runs 64 bit without issues.

Ginjaian

Ginjaian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

OS X is 64 bit regardless. What people are talking about are whether to run 32 or 64 bit kernel which is an altogether different matter. You will have no problem addressing 8 GB i 32 bit kernel mode.

Yes, that is what I meant. Reports of success or failure using 64 bit kernel after setting appropriate kernel flags in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. Thank you for replying with your experience.

tseug

tseug

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Upgrading to OS X 10.6.7 works without issues with the new setup through Software Update, in case anyone is wondering :)

herbalb

herbalb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello everyone.

I am on 10.6.6 (with Chameleon 2 RC4) currently. Can I just update to 10.6.7 with the same sleepenabler.kext I am using for 10.6.6 (taken from this post here Post #668) or is there a newer one?

And should I also update chameleon or is it OK (i.e. are there no negative side effects) to stay with the old one?

I am asking because I am not sure whether it would be better to update just the system without touching anything else (except for sleepenabler and maybe chameleon) or to delete DSDT.aml , do a restart and then start Tseug's (great that you are back again!) latest installer.

Many greetings.

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 151 posts
Do what Tseug says and update. Bay bay sleep enabler.

nathandw

nathandw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Update to 10.6.7 without any problems! Thx a lot!

sparkyboy767

sparkyboy767

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Updated to 10.6.7 but I can't say it was without problems. I got a kernel panic during the update install, then upon rebooting it restarted during the bootup, then it booted up fine. Seems to be working fine now though.

build

build

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Already had 10.6.6 installed.

Deleted DSDT.aml from/extra. Updated through software update ran the new installer working great.

herbalb

herbalb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Used tseug's latest installer (after having deleted DSDT.aml) and everything works fine so far. Even my Geforce GTX260 works without the need of inserting the appropriate GFX String in com.apple.Boot.plist - great!

Many thanks!!!

sickr1rider

sickr1rider

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Tried 10.6.7 but had no luck :(

I was originally running 10.6.1 server on a 8600 gt 512 pcie

deleted the dsdt.aml from the extra folder and rebooted

reloaded my bios settings and booted back into osx

Ran the new installer and rebooted

reloaded my bios settings and everything booted fine into osx with the new chameleon

Installed 10.6.7 combo updated and everything installed fine and restarted

Loaded my bios settings, and right when it gets to show the login screen my monitor goes to sleep.

I am not sure if its my graphics card, or where I am running the server addition or what.

I am going to try and time machine back to where I was and try a lower update. I really just wanna get to 10.6.2 so I can play starcraft 2 so I may try it next.

Any suggestions??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy