[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Hi, thanks every body for this post.

One BIG concern: I make music with my hackintosh, and (those who do the same know it) I have dozens of plugins installed ranging from virtual instruments to sound effects.

All installs took me weeks and so I'm very puzzled when I think to upgrade my 10.5.8 to 10.6 without knowing the following:

once I install snow leopard, will I be able to restore all my apps from the old time machine backup or will it backup also the sistekm files giving me the old system back?

thanks for the help

You should download the standalone patcher. I'm assuming you are trying to run it from the installer source. I did write that it was present there, but there is a slight difference between it and the standalone version. My bad :blink:
Thanks, using the standalone DSDT patcher worked. :wacko:

I've upgraded the installers, the DSDT generator, and the sources. The DSDT is now patched to make the internal drives appear internal on the first controller (yellow connectors). On the second controller (purple connectors) the drives will appear external. This means the injector kexts are no longer needed so the installer will remove them from /Extra/Extensions, if they are present.

To upgrade, run the new installer. This will overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist and your themes so make sure you have a backup. Otherwise, you'll need to reenter your EFI string.

@thebiglebow: I've updated using the Software Update without a problem a few times now (different test installations, every time it updated no problem, Seeing you're using (almost) an identical motherboard, It should be fine for you too!

@arkamaxx: I would imagine that 'time machine' mainly backs up all the system files.. If it didn't it wouldn't be able to roll back changes very well... No guides i've read have ever suggested, nor advised an upgrade.

@tseug: Thanks for the updates! Will implement them in my next installations (Currently about to start nailing DUAL booting win7 & OSX10.6.1)

@arkamaxx: I would imagine that 'time machine' mainly backs up all the system files.. If it didn't it wouldn't be able to roll back changes very well... No guides i've read have ever suggested, nor advised an upgrade.

Migration Assistent included in SL works well.

@tseug: Thanks for the updates! Will implement them in my next installations (Currently about to start nailing DUAL booting win7 & OSX10.6.1)

Actually, that's quite easy but a bit cumbersome because win7 doesn't play well with EFI (or at least Apple's EFI). I'm running the same setup, so I'll give you a few hints.

Create two partitions in disk utility in OSX - one for SL and one for W7. The W7 should be formatted as FAT. This will create a hybrid MBR/EFI setup that both OSX and W7 can understand.

Install OS X

On W7 disc, format the FAT partition to NTFS and Install W7. this will break the boot loader.

Reinstall the SL installer pack. This will setup the boot loader but now W7 is broken. Boot with W7 disk and repair. Now W7 works but SL doesn't. Finally, use fdisk to set the SL partition as active. Reboot and everything should work.

I'm sure there's more detailed guides out there :)

Any Ideas for Me?

Thanks

First of all make sure you have a SATA DVD and a GUID SATA partition. If we assume that the graphics card is the problem, you can make a boot partition by restoring the install disk to an USB drive or a partition on your hard drive (use disk utility). Then run my installer with that partition as target. If you still cannot boot up on this partition, add whatever graphics kext is there for your card to /Volume/Mac OS X.../Extra/Extensions. If it works now, great. If not, back to ye olde drawing board.

All out of hints now :)

Hi tseug, Hi all,

tonight I tried to install 10.6 with tseug's method (once again thanks to you for helping us).

Everything worked fine until I want to install the Installer. The install finished with an error.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mobo's ethernet port has been lightened and thus is not working anymore.

I replace it by a PCI ethernet board (with RTL8169 chipset) and disabled the internal Ethernet port in the BIOS settings.

Disabling it was the root cause of the installer issue I had. Thus I re-enabled it in the bios and the Installer went OK.

But now, after applying the installer my PCI ethernet card is not anymore recognised. (if I remove the dsdt.aml file, it's back again).

Could somebody help me to solve this issue by e.g.

-explain me how to modify the dsdt.aml to make it compatible with the realtek chip based PCI ethernet card.

-or by an other way ...

Thanks in advance,

the Dude

First of all make sure you have a SATA DVD and a GUID SATA partition. If we assume that the graphics card is the problem, you can make a boot partition by restoring the install disk to an USB drive or a partition on your hard drive (use disk utility). Then run my installer with that partition as target. If you still cannot boot up on this partition, add whatever graphics kext is there for your card to /Volume/Mac OS X.../Extra/Extensions. If it works now, great. If not, back to ye olde drawing board.

All out of hints now :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks,

Yes I have a Sata DVD and GUID Part. It's weird because I can install 10.5.6 with the same "boot with boot cd then swap out for the Leopard DVD" but I just can't get to the startup of Snow Leopard. I have tried just about everything!!!! Are you saying to add the graphics kext to the extensions folder of the Snow Leopard DVD restore on the Flash Drive?

Thanks for all your work and help. I come from a Windows world so all this kext and terminal stuff is new to me.

Thanks,

Yes I have a Sata DVD and GUID Part. It's weird because I can install 10.5.6 with the same "boot with boot cd then swap out for the Leopard DVD" but I just can't get to the startup of Snow Leopard. I have tried just about everything!!!! Are you saying to add the graphics kext to the extensions folder of the Snow Leopard DVD restore on the Flash Drive?

Yes.

EDIT: This won't actually work at the moment. I'll be uploading a fixed installer tomorrow :)

EDIT EDIT: New installer now available.

Hi tseug, Hi all,

tonight I tried to install 10.6 with tseug's method (once again thanks to you for helping us).

Everything worked fine until I want to install the Installer. The install finished with an error.

A couple of weeks ago, my Mobo's ethernet port has been lightened and thus is not working anymore.

I replace it by a PCI ethernet board (with RTL8169 chipset) and disabled the internal Ethernet port in the BIOS settings.

Disabling it was the root cause of the installer issue I had. Thus I re-enabled it in the bios and the Installer went OK.

But now, after applying the installer my PCI ethernet card is not anymore recognised. (if I remove the dsdt.aml file, it's back again).

Could somebody help me to solve this issue by e.g.

-explain me how to modify the dsdt.aml to make it compatible with the realtek chip based PCI ethernet card.

-or by an other way ...

Thanks in advance,

the Dude

Try this: Remove the DSDT.aml and reboot. Until you have a new DSDT.aml, your BIOS settings will be reset every time you boot.

Get the newest version of the standalone DSDT generator.

In the patcher.rb, find these lines:

pex = find_pex
verbose("GIGE Device (#{pex})") {patch_gige(pex)}

Outcomment the lines, so they look like this:

#pex = find_pex
#verbose("GIGE Device (#{pex})") {patch_gige(pex)}

Save the file and run the patcher.rb (either ./patcher.rb while in the patcher directory or drag&drop into terminal and press enter)

If everything goes well, you should have a DSDT.aml in the patcher directory. Copy this to /Extra.

Reboot.

I've added Netkas' PC EFI V10.3 boot file to the installer instead of the Chameleon RC3 boot file. This means that the GraphicsEnabler flag should now work for most people with NVidia cards.

To upgrade, run the installer again. This will overwrite your themes and com.apple.Boot.plist, so make a backup.

Guide updated quite a bit so make sure to read it! :)

Yes.

EDIT: This won't actually work at the moment. I'll be uploading a fixed installer tomorrow :(

EDIT EDIT: New installer now available.

Try this: Remove the DSDT.aml and reboot. Until you have a new DSDT.aml, your BIOS settings will be reset every time you boot.

Get the newest version of the standalone DSDT generator.

In the patcher.rb, find these lines:

pex = find_pex
verbose("GIGE Device (#{pex})") {patch_gige(pex)}

Outcomment the lines, so they look like this:

#pex = find_pex
#verbose("GIGE Device (#{pex})") {patch_gige(pex)}

Save the file and run the patcher.rb (either ./patcher.rb while in the patcher directory or drag&drop into terminal and press enter)

If everything goes well, you should have a DSDT.aml in the patcher directory. Copy this to /Extra.

Reboot.

I will try that this evening.

Thanks for help.

Cheers,

The Dude

I've added Netkas' PC EFI V10.3 boot file to the installer instead of the Chameleon RC3 boot file. This means that the GraphicsEnabler flag should now work for most people with NVidia cards...

Can you explain please what is it good for? Do I still need the GFX EFI string? What is the difference?

Can you explain please what is it good for? Do I still need the GFX EFI string? What is the difference?

It means that the boot loader will detect your graphics card so you shouldn't need to modify com.apple.Boot.plist (at least for Nvidia cards). If it doesn't work, however, you can use an EFI string instead.

That means that the process for most people would now be: 1) boot into DVD with boot cd and install 2) boot into SL with boot cd and run installer 3) Reboot. Done. :P

hi tseug, I did the modification in the patcher.rb

Nothing is created (no dsdt.aml file), any idea ?

Cheers,

The dude

If you're not getting any output in the terminal, then you aren't executing the script. Try on the original before you modify it.

If you're not getting any output in the terminal, then you aren't executing the script. Try on the original before you modify it.

Error from me, DSTD generated, i will reboot now ...

Thx,

Thx,

The new DSDT.aml (with patcher modification did not solve) my ethernet problem.

An other idea ;-) ?

Thnaks,

Thx,

The new DSDT.aml (with patcher modification did not solve) my ethernet problem.

An other idea ;-) ?

Thnaks,

Not really. That's the only thing in the DSDT that has to do with LAN. As mentioned, you have to run it on a partition without a DSDT.aml in Extra, but if you've already done that I'm out of ideas.

Not really. That's the only thing in the DSDT that has to do with LAN. As mentioned, you have to run it on a partition without a DSDT.aml in Extra, but if you've already done that I'm out of ideas.

When booting with -v, I can see an IOInterruptEventSource error for rtl1869.

The Dude

Everything woks fine ...

lets say worked fine until I use the migration Assistant to recover my Users profiles and Application (not Settings and other files).

After that I lost the sound (which worked pretty fine before the migration).

Re-apply the Installer does not solve the problem...

Any suggestion ?

Cheers,

the Dude (again)

Everything woks fine ...

lets say worked fine until I use the migration Assistant to recover my Users profiles and Application (not Settings and other files).

After that I lost the sound (which worked pretty fine before the migration).

Re-apply the Installer does not solve the problem...

Any suggestion ?

Cheers,

the Dude (again)

Migration Assistent probably added some kexts from 1.5.x to /S/L/E. Remove HDAEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext if they are present. Also remove dsmos.kext from /E/E if it is present.

I give up. I can not get this to work. I am stumped. I guess I will have to stick with 10.5.8

I just don't understand why I can do a Vanilla install with Leopard but not Snow Leopard. Would I be better off ditching the ATI HD 3870 and Getting a Nvidia Card? I mean I have the same board everyone else is using GA-P35-DS4. I have installed Leopard with Ideneb 10.5.4 and Also a Vanilla Install with Retail Leopard 10.5.4 but for the life of me I can't get this Snow Leopard working.