[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have SL running in 32bit mode using this amazing guide! But I would like to try to run it in 64bit mode! I tried removing the a few lines of code from the boot.plist that force the kernel to run in 32bit mode, but when that happens, my PS2 Keyboard does not work.

Originally when I installed SL, the keyboard did not work either and I used Gigabyte Control Center from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121805

to enable it. Does that mean the fix I applied was only for 32bit systems and for now I am out of luck?

And does running SL in 64bit reallly make a big difference?

I'm running PS2 kexts from here under 32 bit, but from the site it appears there supposed to work in 64 bit, but I haven't tried. They didn't work for my mouse but do work for my PS2 keyboard.

Ok, installed, after finishing with the progress bar the installer remained in a grey screen with the (how do you call it?) the time mouse pointer (the one analogous to the Windows sandclock) without restarting. So I've turned off my computer and rebooted. However I couldn't go on as the installer asked me to plug in my (usb) mouse - which was plugged in and working. I was moving the pointer while the screen asked me to connect the mouse!

Anyways, since Macdrive refuses to work in my Win XP I can't access GUID partitioned drives from windows (and my setup was going to have SL in the same drive that my data) and I can't get AHCI to work with XP either, I'll wait until my planned upgrade to Windows 7 to go on with SL.

In any case, what does the boot cd do to the bios? Everytime I boot from that bootcd I have to reset the cmos afterwards or my machine won't do anything

In any case, what does the boot cd do to the bios? Everytime I boot from that bootcd I have to reset the cmos afterwards or my machine won't do anything

It isn't the boot CD but the Leopard DVD. For some reason, the Chameleon RC3 cdboot does not know how to load a DSDT.aml, which means that the DVD will reset your BIOS settings. The only way to avoid it that I know of is to restore the DVD to a partition / USB drive and then run the installer on it.

@tseug

It has been mentioned earlier somewhere, but i think it is worthwhile to emphasize.

With ep45-d6q motherboard: if all onboard ethernet ports are disabled for some reason (in my case i used a Netgear ga311 pci card) the installer will return with error message and will not complete the post-install phase.

I worked on it for half a day trying every solution, until i removed the Netgear card and enabled the internal ethernet ports. After that install went on flawlessly.

Thank your for your great installer!

P.S. There is still one small problem left. During install the SL installer recognized my Wlan card: i was able to download 10.6.1 update. After running your installer SL does not see my WLan hardware. I hope this will be sorted out soon.

@tseug

It has been mentioned earlier somewhere, but i think it is worthwhile to emphasize.

With ep45-d6q motherboard: if all onboard ethernet ports are disabled for some reason (in my case i used a Netgear ga311 pci card) the installer will return with error message and will not complete the post-install phase.

I worked on it for half a day trying every solution, until i removed the Netgear card and enabled the internal ethernet ports. After that install went on flawlessly.

Thank your for your great installer!

P.S. There is still one small problem left. During install the SL installer recognized my Wlan card: i was able to download 10.6.1 update. After running your installer SL does not see my WLan hardware. I hope this will be sorted out soon.

Others have had problems with their Wifi cards. Unfortunately, nobody has reported back. Since I have no information on the cause and don't own the hardware to test it, I cannot fix it at present.

I can only assume that the DSDT modifications somehow disables these cards. You should download the standalone patcher and play around with it. As a first shot, remove the DSDT.aml, reboot, and see if this helps (your BIOS settings may be reset). If it does, the problem must be in the DSDT. If not, the problem must be one or more of the kexts in /E/E but I think that is unlikely.

As a next step, I suggest following this procedure: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1275952

If it doesn't work, some of the other patches may be interfering. Let me know what you find out :thumbsup_anim:

For GA-EP45-DQ6 try update BIOS to f13d from here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2831 and apply dsdt.aml from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...186674&st=0

I am testing it right now. My EP45-DQ6 sometimes did no wake from sleep (black display), I will see if this helps.

Others have had problems with their Wifi cards. Unfortunately, nobody has reported back. Since I have no information on the cause and don't own the hardware to test it, I cannot fix it at present.

I can only assume that the DSDT modifications somehow disables these cards. You should download the standalone patcher and play around with it. As a first shot, remove the DSDT.aml, reboot, and see if this helps (your BIOS settings may be reset). If it does, the problem must be in the DSDT.

Removed DSDT.aml and wlan is back. So DSDT.aml is the culprit.

Since i removed it the KP following restart problem also disappeared.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I try to master DSDT wizardry and when i have results i'll be back!

For GA-EP45-DQ6 try update BIOS to f13d from here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2831 and apply dsdt.aml from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...186674&st=0

I am testing it right now. My EP45-DQ6 sometimes did no wake from sleep (black display), I will see if this helps.

So far no success with sleep on EP45-DQ6. I tried BIOS f12 and f13d, dsdt.aml generated by tseug's installer, dsdt.aml from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186674, without dsdt.aml. I tried to disable graphics enabler, returned GFX EFI string to com.apple.Boot.plist. Nothing helps. Machine sleeps, but on wakeup display remains black and I have restart the whole machine using the reset button on case.

So far no success with sleep on EP45-DQ6. I tried BIOS f12 and f13d, dsdt.aml generated by tseug's installer, dsdt.aml from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186674, without dsdt.aml. I tried to disable graphics enabler, returned GFX EFI string to com.apple.Boot.plist. Nothing helps. Machine sleeps, but on wakeup display remains black and I have restart the whole machine using the reset button on case.

You have remembered to modify the power settings, right?

Sure, but I don't have the "Start up automatically after a power failure" option in Energy Saver! Why?

I dont' know. I this true on both boards? Do both boards currently run with my installer or have you modified something?

My config with DSDT.aml deleted works flawlessly with wlan enabled.

Only two issues remained: Bios reset and no audio, as far as i can see i have two options:

- create (beg, steal or borrow) a DSDT.aml with one function - prevent os x tinkering with bios and enable audio with kexts (it seem to be easiest with my limited knowledge)

- create a DSDT.aml with two functions, bios reset disabler and audio which at the moment is way beyond my knowledge. But a very elegant solution.

All in all: I am quite optimistic that wlan could easily work with tseug method and that is the most important

Hi Tseug, in fact HDAenabler and RealtekR1000 kexts were back. I sent those files to hell, and now the sound is working again.

You are fantastic ;-)

Even if I think that Snow is not fully mature, I update my computer because you decided to not support Leo anymore.

I thank you very much.

Cheers !

The Dude

Hi Tseug !

I have also lost audio on my P35C-DS3R, but, unlike thebiglebow, I don't have that kext's on /S/L/E and neither used the Migration Assistant. But I remember that I had audio yesterday and today the only thing that I did was to try to install the driver for a SIL3231 sata board (that didn't went well). I went the see the script of the driver installer and it issues a "kextcache -e" for updating the startup mktext. Do you think that this was the problem ? How can I get the audio back ? I have already tried to run again your installer but it didn't work.

Regards and thanks for the nice guide that worked 100% with my configuration,

Jorge

My config with DSDT.aml deleted works flawlessly with wlan enabled.

Only two issues remained: Bios reset and no audio, as far as i can see i have two options:

- create (beg, steal or borrow) a DSDT.aml with one function - prevent os x tinkering with bios and enable audio with kexts (it seem to be easiest with my limited knowledge)

- create a DSDT.aml with two functions, bios reset disabler and audio which at the moment is way beyond my knowledge. But a very elegant solution.

All in all: I am quite optimistic that wlan could easily work with tseug method and that is the most important

As mentioned, look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1275952

Hi Tseug !

I have also lost audio on my P35C-DS3R, but, unlike thebiglebow, I don't have that kext's on /S/L/E and neither used the Migration Assistant. But I remember that I had audio yesterday and today the only thing that I did was to try to install the driver for a SIL3231 sata board (that didn't went well). I went the see the script of the driver installer and it issues a "kextcache -e" for updating the startup mktext. Do you think that this was the problem ? How can I get the audio back ? I have already tried to run again your installer but it didn't work.

I don't know. Audio requires a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E and some DSDT modifications. I doubt that the kextcache command would break it.

Hi Tseug !

Regards and thanks for the nice guide that worked 100% with my configuration,

Jorge

When installing 10.6, I had to change the output connector (I had the volume control OK, but nothing at the output). I moved the connector.

Start a song in iTunes and move the jack until you have sound :-). I'm not at home, so I cannot tell you wher are plugged my speakers.

Cheers,

-The Dude

Removed DSDT.aml and wlan is back. So DSDT.aml is the culprit.

Since i removed it the KP following restart problem also disappeared.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I try to master DSDT wizardry and when i have results i'll be back!

I had the same problem with an PCI Ethernet Card. Moving it into the second PCI port solved the problem. Did you try to place your wlan card to an other PCI port?

Cheers,

-The Dude

@tseug

@thebiglebow

Commenting out pex part and moving the wlan card (linksys WMP300n) solved the problem. I am writing this in SnowLeo!

Gentlemen thanks a lot!

You are welcome !

Did you comment out pex and move the board in the same time. I think that moving the bord in enough. I did not remeber if I removed comments after moving my ethenet board.

The installer issue is maybe related to the PCI port and not to ethernet. Tseug, Should it be possible that the installer is disabling the first PCI port ?

Cheers,

-The Dude

You are welcome !

Did you comment out pex and move the board in the same time. I think that moving the bord in enough. I did not remeber if I removed comments after moving my ethenet board.

The installer issue is maybe related to the PCI port and not to ethernet. Tseug, Should it be possible that the installer is disabling the first PCI port ?

Cheers,

-The Dude

Commented out first - no wlan.

Moved card to another slot - working wlan.

Now i am happy with it and suspend tinkering with SL install for a couple of days.