[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

Yes I tried that also but can't get that to work.

I cant get step 2 to show the file to edit.

"2. Open 1_DSDT_Patcher folder and double-click the "1_GetDSDT" file.

3. When "dsdt-fixed.dsl" file is opened, look for the "Device (RTC)" line."

It just runs and says completed but the dsdt-fixed.dsl does not show so I can't edit. Am I missing something?

I just don't understand why I can do a Vanilla install with Leopard but not Snow Leopard. Would I be better off ditching the ATI HD 3870 and Getting a Nvidia Card? I mean I have the same board everyone else is using GA-P35-DS4. I have installed Leopard with Ideneb 10.5.4 and Also a Vanilla Install with Retail Leopard 10.5.4 but for the life of me I can't get this Snow Leopard working.
fwiw, I've got an ati x1950PRO and the install wasn't hampered. But, I've done things differently to get dual-boot on MBR disk - I didn't install from the DVD but from a modified disk image loaded from a separate Leopard installation... wish i had more ideas to help.

Migration Assistent probably added some kexts from 1.5.x to /S/L/E. Remove HDAEnabler.kext and RealtekR1000.kext if they are present. Also remove dsmos.kext from /E/E if it is present.

Hi Tseug, in fact HDAenabler and RealtekR1000 kexts were back. I sent those files to hell, and now the sound is working again.

You are fantastic ;-)

Even if I think that Snow is not fully mature, I update my computer because you decided to not support Leo anymore.

I thank you very much.

Cheers !

The Dude

Latest version of the installer works on my GA-EP45-DQ6 without GFX EFI string :P.

Tha same on the other machine GA-P35-DS4. Everything works without EFI strings :). Thanks!

Automatic sleep still does not work, does it work for somebody?

Did work almost flawlessly with GA-P35-DS3L.

Everything works fine except for sound (Should be 888, right?).

kernel.log from boot: http://pastebin.com/m4c4a0772

I've used the migration assistant to get my user and the applications from another 10.5 install if thats relevant. Already tried to delete HDAEnabler and R1000 kexts, the same failed assertion keeps happening.

EP45-DQ6 sometimes does not wake from sleep, it already happened twice or three times. I will try to investigate what is the problem.

Sep 24 18:22:47 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
Sep 24 18:22:52 localhost DirectoryService[11]: Improper shutdown detected
Sep 24 18:22:53 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.
Sep 24 18:23:03 localhost mDNSResponder[17]: mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-212.1 (Jul 24 2009 22:34:12) starting
Sep 24 18:23:03 localhost com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.
Sep 24 18:23:03: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Sep 24 18:23:03 localhost configd[14]: network configuration changed.
Sep 24 18:23:03 Administrators-Mac-Pro configd[14]: setting hostname to "Administrators-Mac-Pro.local"
Sep 24 18:23:03 Administrators-Mac-Pro pcscd[27]: Non-smartcard device launched pcscd [Vendor: 0X2040, Product: 0X9580]
Sep 24 18:23:04 Administrators-Mac-Pro configd[14]: network configuration changed.
Sep 24 18:23:09: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Sep 24 18:23:09 Administrators-Mac-Pro bootlog[49]: BOOT_TIME: 1253809366 0

Did work almost flawlessly with GA-P35-DS3L.

Everything works fine except for sound (Should be 888, right?).

kernel.log from boot: http://pastebin.com/m4c4a0772

I've used the migration assistant to get my user and the applications from another 10.5 install if thats relevant. Already tried to delete HDAEnabler and R1000 kexts, the same failed assertion keeps happening.

Try running the install first (including alc888 installer), then check sound just to make sure migration assistent isn't the problem.

Didn't work on P35C-DS3R with HD3870

P35C-DS3R

Q6600

4GB DDR3

2 SATA2 750GB

If you find something that works with ATI HD3870, please let me know.

Hey guys,

Could someone help me install Leopard using this same guide but instead of having snow leopard on a DVD i'd like to us an 8GB Flash drive.

I am not sure how to trigger the installation from it once I boot up the SLBoot CD.

Thank you!

Try running the install first (including alc888 installer), then check sound just to make sure migration assistent isn't the problem.

Did that, still getting the same errors about not loading AppleHDAController and those failed assertions

Just for completeness:

Device-ID: 0x1458A002

Audio-ID: 888

Did that, still getting the same errors about not loading AppleHDAController and those failed assertions

Just for completeness:

Device-ID: 0x1458A002

Audio-ID: 888

OK. The audio needs a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E to work. There's actually 4 legacy.kext to choose from, but I just chose what I thought to be the most reasonable. Some of the others mights work. Refer to the How to patch... link in the first post.

Hey guys,

Could someone help me install Leopard using this same guide but instead of having snow leopard on a DVD i'd like to us an 8GB Flash drive.

I am not sure how to trigger the installation from it once I boot up the SLBoot CD.

Thank you!

Please look in the first post under Alternative install method. You don't need a boot CD for this. Just boot up from the USB drive instead after applying the installer to this drive. If your USB drive does not show under hard disks after pressing F12, enable legacy USB in BIOS.

So far so good! But it's now telling me to connect my keyboard, while my PS2 Keyboard is connected :)

How would I go about fixing this?

Thank you!

Nevermind, I plugged my usb keyboard in and now I am cruising along! I will keep testing it and report later!

Thanks again tseug!!!

I believe I have a successful install, at least almost :)

My specs are:

GA-P35-DS3R

NVidia 7600GT 256MB <- Detected out of the box

4GB of Ram

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo

SATA HDD

IDE DVD Burner

I downloaded Gigabyte P35 Control Center and installed IDE Fix (which allowed the OS to see my CD Drive) and PS2 Fix for my keyboard.

My only problem so far is my Firewire PCI card (previously detected in 10.5.6) is no longer being detected. And the text smoothing is a bit choppy. In 10.5.6 there was an option for "Medium - Best for LCD Screens" It's s little different now and doesn't work as well.

Can someone help me get my Firewire PCI card working please?!!!

I read on the forum that if you remove AppleHPET.kext Firewire will work. I did it and it now works!

But I wonder, what have I sacrificed by removing that kext?

make sure your sata drives are in AHCI mode in the BIOS.

That was the issue. I set them in AHCI, the supposed unofficial guides to make Windows XP work with the HDs in AHCI didn't work (Windows doesn't load, gives a BSOD). The boot cd worked though, I loaded the SL installer. However I had set up my external test HD with MBR partitions and SL has to be installed in GUID partitions. So I rebooted with the idea of booting my OSX 10.5.2 partition to remake the partitions.

MY PC DIDN'T BOOT AGAIN AND CURRENTLY ISN'T WORKING AT ALL. The bios doesn't load, even the cpu fan just starts for a second or so before shutting down.

Any ideas?

It's a Gigabyte P35-D3SL, with an E650 Intel C2D processor, 2 internal SATA HDs (one NTFS with Win XP, the other with two partitions, one for OSX 10.5.2, the other it's an ntfs partition for data), 1 sata DVD-RW and a Gigabyte Nvidia 8600 GT

MY PC DIDN'T BOOT AGAIN AND CURRENTLY ISN'T WORKING AT ALL. The bios doesn't load, even the cpu fan just starts for a second or so before shutting down.

Remove all power from the PC and wait a minute. Then reattach the power and try booting. If that doesn't work, check the MB manual on how to reset the CMOS. One way would be to remove the battery from the MB and let it sit for a while.

I'm having to purcase a T.I. Chipsetted firewire card as for some bizarre reason I cannot for the life of me get my onboard firewire in ANY OS to recognise my firewire audio interface ;/ Phoned up DV247 (where I purchased) they forwarded me onto Focusrite, who said it may just be your firewire, so if you could purchase a firewire card *whines* So about to buy one of those just to 'test'... Weird thing is it's showing no conflicts whatsoever in device manager, but just not recognised in XP, Vista, Win7, Leopard, OR Snow Leopard ;\

Done lots of research, and the recommended card is one of these; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250472295153

Will have to re-experiment when it arrives, hopefully just a removal of AppleHPET.kext will do it... However I'm also interested in what removing it will also do/break (apart from fix the firewire issue)

Remove all power from the PC and wait a minute. Then reattach the power and try booting. If that doesn't work, check the MB manual on how to reset the CMOS. One way would be to remove the battery from the MB and let it sit for a while.

Worked. Thanks. Really, I had sort of freaked out.

I'll keep trying to get SL to work later.

EDIT: One more question. If I make it work in my test HD, I'll try to install permanently in a HD with two partitions: one for SL, the other for data - and that second partition has to be accessed by both SL and XP. Will XP recognize that partition if the HD is formatted as GUID instead of MBR? For that matter, would Windows 7 do it?

EDIT: One more question. If I make it work in my test HD, I'll try to install permanently in a HD with two partitions: one for SL, the other for data - and that second partition has to be accessed by both SL and XP. Will XP recognize that partition if the HD is formatted as GUID instead of MBR? For that matter, would Windows 7 do it?
XP won't recognize the GUID partition natively; I use MacDrive which seems to work well.

Hey guys,

I have SL running in 32bit mode using this amazing guide! But I would like to try to run it in 64bit mode! I tried removing the a few lines of code from the boot.plist that force the kernel to run in 32bit mode, but when that happens, my PS2 Keyboard does not work.

Originally when I installed SL, the keyboard did not work either and I used Gigabyte Control Center from here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121805

to enable it. Does that mean the fix I applied was only for 32bit systems and for now I am out of luck?

And does running SL in 64bit reallly make a big difference?