Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556 aka Atheros AR5416

kamikaze

62 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any word on the DWA-542 (AR5416, hardware id 0x0023)? It "works" in that it's in the atheros and atheros21 kexts out of the box and does do its job. It just also happens to cause complete freezes and kernel panics when used with more than one core active.

• 1 month later...

My DWA-556 was working flawlessly without the AtherosFix.kext until I applied the latest airport and 10.6.8 updates. Now, SL sees it, but I am not able to join any networks. Any ideas what went wrong? Anyone else experienced this issue?

I have not tried anything such as installing AtherosFix.kext or rolling back the airport software. I wanted to get suggestions from you guys prior to trying anything.

My DWA-556 was working flawlessly without the AtherosFix.kext until I applied the latest airport and 10.6.8 updates. Now, SL sees it, but I am not able to join any networks. Any ideas what went wrong? Anyone else experienced this issue?

I have not tried anything such as installing AtherosFix.kext or rolling back the airport software. I wanted to get suggestions from you guys prior to trying anything.

fix is smbios.plist needs the model identifier of board like Mac-Fxxxx and the dsdt Device (PCI) had _ADR change to _UID

i tried macbookpro3,1 and wouldnt let my graphics work properly. so it matters which u use.

• 2 weeks later...
fix is smbios.plist needs the model identifier of board like Mac-Fxxxx and the dsdt Device (PCI) had _ADR change to _UID

i tried macbookpro3,1 and wouldnt let my graphics work properly. so it matters which u use.

I thought the content of the smbios.plist is purely cosmetic. I should mention that my Hackintosh is a Gigabyte ep45T-USB3P motherboard with the last cartri.net MacBIOS. Also, when I look in the system profiler, everything looks fine.

http://netkas.org/ and scroll down to 10.6.8 Released

"fixed atheros wifi with installing this form 10.6.7 update – /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle"

Same issue but its fixed in Lion GM and after using Lion I just keep SL on a spare drive.

I'm not sure if thats all you need to do but worth a try good luck.

http://netkas.org/ and scroll down to 10.6.8 Released

"fixed atheros wifi with installing this form 10.6.7 update – /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle"

Same issue but its fixed in Lion GM and after using Lion I just keep SL on a spare drive.

I'm not sure if thats all you need to do but worth a try good luck.

Thanks Hangten. I'll give you suggestion a try and let you know the outcome.

I reverted the 802Family.kext back to the one from 10.6.7, but that did not resolve the issue. Hopefully reverting Apple80211Monitor.bundle will do the trick :angel:

hehe.. its DSDT !! and smbios.plist. and no its not cosmetic

Sorry to disappoint you LatinMcG, Hangten was 100% correct. I replaced the SL 10.6.8 Apple80211Monitor.bundle with the one from the 10.6.7 update, and after a permissions repair and a reboot, my issue was fixed! :D

When I look at Airport in System profiler, I see that the version of configd plug-in has dropped back from 6.2.5 back to 6.2.4, thus resolving my issue.

Thank you Hangten, and thank you http://netkas.org/ for pointing out this 10.6.8 issue.

weird. in my issue it was model i was faking. i was missing the mac-Fxxxx and wireless was either laggy or disappeared.

in the end . i dotn have to replace any kexts.. dunno why.

on the cool side. for friends desktop we used bcm94321mc apple in a mini pci-e adapter. works pretty good. and i tested my ar5B91 .. worked also in hix x58a-ud3r rev 2.