Radeon 3870 HD Snow Leopard

reaLity2

23 posts in this topic

Hey,

is anyone able to run this card under snow leopard?

When I start Snow leopard, all fans start spinning and the machine goes crazy.

What do I have to do? What about the EFI String? What do I have to put in there?

i am now able to boot, but with really bad performance and wrong resolution.

i removed all ati*.kext files. Does anybody know how I can get the card running smoothly?

.... .... just wait........ omg.

Or switch, like me to an Nvidia gpu - i selled my 3850 and now using 9600 GT - perfect on SL.

Also you will never get OpenCL on ATI 2xxxx + 3xxxx cards - even the QE/CI problem will get fixed next weeks.

OpenCL will be supported only for 48xx gpus (47xx to if they would run).

But also 48xx cards (in real Macs) have major problems with 10.6.0 OpenCL, will be fixed with 10.6.1+

well, maybe i am buying an 4870 - seems not very expensive and more powerfull than the 3870

just waiting a few days more and see whats going on

I replaced my 3870 with a 4870. It works in snow but I can't get the speed out of it. My OGL EXT Viewer score was 2000-2100 with my 3870. In snow and 10.5.8 I'm only getting 1600. It was a PITA to switch it out and redo all the drivers umpteen times. Still not right. I'd say wait a while. All the OGL stuff in snow is pretty sketchy right now even on real apple hardware.

@doof: How its looking now? afaik netkas released another package for this cards

I have two 4870s, both are XFX and both have the same product ID as the apple card so I don't need the Netkas injector that jams in the DEVICE ID. One is in my i7 uberbox and the the other is in a ep35 q6600. The i7 one is the OC edition and with 10.6.1 it scores 7300 in cinebench. The other one scores about 6600. My OGL extension viewer score is still in the 1600 range on both, 400 less than my 3870 scored. I think its some oddity of the extension viewer benchmark. I found some scores of actual mac pros with the apple 4870 card that were exactly the same. I'm baffled that some people are reporting 3000 scores. One thing about ogl ex vwr is that the scores are dependent on the screen resolution. When people post a score without the res setting it makes it useless for comparison. I think there must be a bug in the driver or the benchmark that is causing artificially low scores. I'm looking for other benches to verify the 4870 performance. All I really care about is motion performance, I game on PC and consoles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey,

is anyone able to run this card under snow leopard?

When I start Snow leopard, all fans start spinning and the machine goes crazy.

What do I have to do? What about the EFI String? What do I have to put in there?

i am now able to boot, but with really bad performance and wrong resolution.

i removed all ati*.kext files. Does anybody know how I can get the card running smoothly?

hey guys i got my 3870 HIS 512mb Gddr4 running with snow leopard

but QE/CI doesnt seems to work

i cant install iMovie

but it is working with snow leopard loh

i can boot, surf the net, iphoto runs, itunes works

havent had time to test it out

i just got it working today, but i am going crazy because my setup works great with leopard 10.5.7

imovie works too

i dont know why snow doesnt work

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm the depressed owner of a 3850. It works perfectly under Leopard, but under Snow Leopard it works only minimally, and only then in safe mode or after having removed a couple of Radeon-related kexts.

Anyone having luck with this card?

• 6 months later...

I was able to start Snow retail on this card. I installed some "allinone.iso"(SL) and just copied kexts for video from there. Then installed retail(couldn't boot). Then copied that kexts using my old good running 10.5.6, fixed permissions over terminal, and it RUNS :)

I think you don't care now, lots of time passed, but hope it helps someone else.