OSX86 Installation Guide for Dell Inspiron 1720 - Near Perfect

62 posts in this topic

Hey all,

So after several weeks of scanning the forums, trial & error I have successfully got everything working with a few exceptions which I'm hoping one of you can help resolve.

I'm running 10.6.1 with 2 partitions (Chameleon, SnowLeopardHD).

I was hoping for a 100% vanilla install, but VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC & AppleBCM440XEthernet will only load from S/L/E. These are the only additions to S/L/E so basically all other kext's are untouched or vanilla.

Sound Sigmatel Stac9205 - works with voodooHDA.kext & pref pane.

SDHC - works with VoodooSDHC.kext

Network Broadcom

Ethernet - works with AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

Wireless - works out of the box

Battery meter - works with VoodooBattery.kext

Trackpad - If I want full functionality with side & bottom scroll then VoodooPS2Controller.kext works, however with this kext it breaks system and/or kernel logging in system profiler. If you don't want to view these logs then it's not a big deal.

Otherwise AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext works without scrolling functionality but logging is enabled.

Graphics 8600M GT 256gb - works with graphics enabler=yes in com.appple.boot.plist and using PC EFI V10.5

I'm using the new qoopz SL kernel which enables sleep, restart & shutdown but that requires you to use Chameleon RC3 boot & only standard graphics detection. If you add any inject kexts then that breaks shutdown/restart & sleep.

SleepEnabler.kext & OpenHaltRestart.kext do not make any difference when you've enabled graphics.

Also they don't make a difference using the vanilla mach kernel.

Other kexts used in Chameleon/Extra/Extensions are;

Fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

So in a nutshell the last remaining issue is Video versus sleep, shutdown & restart. Can't get them to work together.

Please Help!

That's pretty much where I stand as well. Can't get sleep, shutdown & restart to work. My Wireless currently doesn't work either, but that seems to be because of the chipset (Intel 4965agn). I've ordered one that is Airport native (Broadcom), which should be here today or tomorrow.

I did have one installation that had shutdown & restarting working. I used the BL from MacYourPC here, but I had problems getting my ethernet to work. On both installations, I had to manually install my MAC address into the UUID field get get rid of the CFGetHostUUIDString - Error 35. I wish I knew what was different with that bootdisc. Maybe you know how to decifer them more. I know there was a DSDT.aml file in that one, whereas the boot disc I am using now did not use that. If you figure it out, please let me know.

I do don't know about you, but the way I got stuff working was by logging in a textfile exactly what kexts I was installing, and backing up the extensions directory between each kext install. If something went south, then all I had to do was restore the directory. This let me know which kexts were bad so I could get rid of them from my USB drive and not go through the hassle of using them next time.

Well I'm 100% positive it's the OS X Nvidia driver/kext causing sleep, shutdown & restart to not work. I'm currently trying to search for a resolution for this. I've sent a PM to MasterChief who is a DSDT GOD!!! Maybe there's something that can be added or removed from the DSDT to make it all work in unison.

Let me know if anyone else finds a solution to this. Once I get this tackled, then the Dell 1720 laptop will be 100% working.

Well I'm 100% positive it's the OS X Nvidia driver/kext causing sleep, shutdown & restart to not work. I'm currently trying to search for a resolution for this. I've sent a PM to MasterChief who is a DSDT GOD!!! Maybe there's something that can be added or removed from the DSDT to make it all work in unison.

Let me know if anyone else finds a solution to this. Once I get this tackled, then the Dell 1720 laptop will be 100% working.

Let me know how it goes. I had already come to the same conclusion. I took out natit.kext out of the preboot.dmg, which was causing my restart/shutdown problems. I tried a bunch of other methods, including graphics injection, and a few other nvidia kexts, but all of them screwed up shutdown/restart. The ATI driver you mentioned has worked for me, but, as you said, it's not the best for graphics.

Did you ever get anything back from MasterChief? I've got everything working but shutdown/restart. Sleep does work now, as I found out you need to edit part of a info.plist and put a set of strings in there to make ECHISleep to work. Just need to get shutdown and restart, and I'll have a perfect install.

Did you ever get anything back from MasterChief? I've got everything working but shutdown/restart. Sleep does work now, as I found out you need to edit part of a info.plist and put a set of strings in there to make ECHISleep to work. Just need to get shutdown and restart, and I'll have a perfect install.

No, unfortunately he didn't have a solution for the Nvidia driver issue. He asked that I leave word with Netkas who was more actively involved with Laptop installs. So hopefully Netkas will be our guiding light.

:)

No, unfortunately he didn't have a solution for the Nvidia driver issue. He asked that I leave word with Netkas who was more actively involved with Laptop installs. So hopefully Netkas will be our guiding light.

;)

I hope so. Getting so close. Tuesday I updated to 10.6.2, updated the new SleepEnabler.kext and the new VoodooPower.kext (1.3). Last night I found a post about the ECHISleepEnabler.kext, and how to get it to work properly. I removed it earlier, when I discovered that in the system logs that there was a OS dependency issue. The post I found indicated that you needed to read a readme file that isn't available in the Boot-132 iso.

Here is the link to the post.

To enable it you have to edit the Info.plist in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

You need to add these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.1.5</string>
<--- Your system will vary. The above strings just need to be placed after this portion of the Info.plist.

This is an old post for 10.5.6, but it still pertains to 10.6.2.

I hope so. Getting so close. Tuesday I updated to 10.6.2, updated the new SleepEnabler.kext and the new VoodooPower.kext (1.3). Last night I found a post about the ECHISleepEnabler.kext, and how to get it to work properly. I removed it earlier, when I discovered that in the system logs that there was a OS dependency issue. The post I found indicated that you needed to read a readme file that isn't available in the Boot-132 iso.

Here is the link to the post.

To enable it you have to edit the Info.plist in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

You need to add these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.1.5</string>
<--- Your system will vary. The above strings just need to be placed after this portion of the Info.plist.

This is an old post for 10.5.6, but it still pertains to 10.6.2.

What does the VoodooPower kext do? I can't find version 1.3 can you post it?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have snow leopard installed on my 1720, but when I install Chamleon, It boots to the Chamleon page and I choose the snow install it panics right away. If I boot to the CD 123 I can choose the partion and it boots great. Hmmm Anyone have any thoughts with this?

Sam

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have mine almost near perfect. I use iAtkos v5i and although it is a pain to boot after numerous attempts it will boot fine. I can`t remember the exact details of my procedure but i have enough notes to re-inact if required, i am running 10.5.5 and have done for almost 2 years. Specifications wise check my signature for details.

Info from my build:

To my knowledge restart/shutdown will NOT work with the 8600gt functioning correctly. Any kexts used to get the video working will break shutdown/restart.

To Boot disable flash etc in the bios, in fact take out most items until you get the base install on then enable and patch as necessary. I will submit my BIOS settings as soon as i can.

Sleep works fine, it did out of the box

Wireless (broadcom based) i had to insert an additional string in the EHCI kext as follows:

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/info.plist

Links used for the build:

Audio Thanks:

Audio

System Build:

System Build

Wireless Thanks:

Wireless

I do have the full package of kexts etc that i used for the build, if anyone wants them let me know and i`ll dig them out.

Cheers,

I do have the full package of kexts etc that i used for the build, if anyone wants them let me know and i`ll dig them out.

Cheers,

yes, the full compliment of kexts you used would be helpful...so post away if you can

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Dell Inspiron 1720

Ok, its took me ages to collect the relevant kexts etc for my Dell Inspiron 1720. I though i would make a post with all of them attached. Install your OSX86 first obviously. I have it working near perfect. See the files at the botton of the post.

Audio: Sigmatel 9502

To get stereo sound, line in, line out, auto switching and internal mic working download this zip.

Sigmatel 9205 Audio + Mic.zip

After unzipping you will see two folders, "Sound" and "Mic". First open "Sound". Simply drag Stac9205.txt file into AppleHDA Patcher v1.20. Here you'll meet some message in the box said that it was done. Put AppleHDA.kext file in System/Library/Extensions. It will ask you to authenticate with your user password, and overwrite the file. Its okay, just follow it and reboot the computer.

You should then notice you have sound. Next navigate to the files we unziped and open the Mic folder. Here you will find another AppleHDA.kext. Install this kext with your kext installer or overwrite the one in System/Library/Extensions and then reboot.

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x Ethernet Adapter

Usually this would work out of the box, however, if not Install this kext:

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

Reboot and it should work.

Keyboard and Mouse: Built in

To get the keyboard and mouse working with side scroll download "1720 bulit in Keyboard and Mouse.zip" and unzip.

1) Open terminal and run the following:

sudo -s

cd /Volumes/YOUR-HDD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

rm -Rf AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

cd /Volumes/YOUR-HDD/System/Library/Extensions

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext.orig

2) open OSX86Tools

3) Select Repair Permissions / Set Extensions permissions / Clear Extensions Cache and click "Run Selected Tasks"

4) Click "Install Kexts" install "VoodooPS2Controller.kext" from the unzipped file to your HDD

5) Reboot with "-f" (without the quotes)

If you are british and want the british keyboard layout download Microsoft Keyboard Layouts.dmg.zip.

Unzip and install the kext. After a reboot go to the system preferences and go to international, then select the tab "input menu" and then check the box against "british - microsoft". you may have to enable the menu bar icon and then enable it from the menu bar icon.

Wireless: Intel intel pro/wireless 3495 abg

Intel intel pro/wireless 3495abg doesn't work for me. there are currently no drivers. i strongly suggest buying a Dell wireless 1390 mini PCI express card for your laptop as it will work with OS X out of the box.

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Moduel

From what i have read this should work out of the box but for me it is not. If someone could help me with this i would be greatful as i cannot find any kexts to make it work for me. the blue tooth icon on the menu bar is thre but has a little x on it. if i turn the bluetooth off with the switch on my laptop it turns into a wiggle dash through it.

I did however install this DellBluetoothHCI.kext and afer a reboot it worked perfectly but then after another reboot it will not work again. Please help!!

Hello can you tell me what distro of osx did you use before applying all this kext?

OK I have snow leopard installed on my 1720, but when I install Chamleon, It boots to the Chamleon page and I choose the snow install it panics right away. If I boot to the CD 123 I can choose the partion and it boots great. Hmmm Anyone have any thoughts with this?

Sam

Can you tell me what cd 123 you use? can you post it to me?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

what you mean by shutdown is not working on 1720, how you shut down then the OS?

I have 1720 with these spec:

Intel T7100 1.8MHz

Nvidia 8600M GT

Signatel STAC9205

Broadcom 440x

wireless 1390 mini card

I have 2 questions:

1.Can you tell me what distribution of OSX to use to get most of it working?

2.I'm using the 1720 as desktop connected to TV via VGA, so will VGA out will work?

1)

I instaled ideneb v1.3 (10.5.5) then upgraded to 10.5.8 via ideneb combo update.

2)

Hello, do you have Nvidia 8600M GT full QE/CI working?

if yes, how could you let it work? with what driver or kext? because as far I could find over the web if you have full QE/CI working, then you have the shutdown problem as everyone else here in the world.

but if you have full QE/CI working and you can shut down properly, the let us know.

the problem we have at shut down is that it not colete shut down, it gous everything off, but power light still remain, so the only way to close is then keep pressed the power button for 3 seconds about.

regarding your question for the VGA, I can say, yes it will work, I could with mine.

Hi,

what you mean by shutdown is not working on 1720, how you shut down then the OS?

I have 1720 with these spec:

Intel T7100 1.8MHz

Nvidia 8600M GT

Signatel STAC9205

Broadcom 440x

wireless 1390 mini card

I have 2 questions:

1.Can you tell me what distribution of OSX to use to get most of it working?

2.I'm using the 1720 as desktop connected to TV via VGA, so will VGA out will work?

I will try with iDeneb 1.3 as you told.

I will start exploring , and if I found enything on CI/QE will let you know, but first to install it :(

There is a topic here called Nvidia 8600M GT and there is 2 ways making QE working but all saying shutdown then breaking

...also someone says that enableing QE can stop VGA out working, what is your case?

so in this shutdown the OS is correctly stopped or these manual (by button) stopping can corrupt the OS?

How you managed to boot ideneb 10.5.5?

I have not result booting any release:

Kalyway 10.5.2 - panic on boot

iDeneb 10.5.5 - nothing after gray apple logo

iAtkos v7 - panic on boot

The panic on boot panic is saying something com.apple.acpiplatform something and com.apple.iopcifamily...

I tryed maxmem=2048, -x, -v -f, but nothing.....

Info:

1720 with 1.8Mhz, 4 gig ram, 8600m gt

2 partitions with win7 first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could one of the people that got Snow (>10.6) to work, post how they did it? I got 10.5 to work (as most of us), but I can't get any of the 10.6 distro's to work. Tried several images and in several different ways (USB, from old Leopard, etc.).

Even if you don't have time for a detailed explanation I would settle for which image you used (snowleopard_10A432_userdvd.dmg, h-mosl1063.dmg, other?) and which method (USB, from Leopard, patched image, VMware etc.). maybe ideneb or iatkos with snow?

Any info would help a lot, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I now have 10.6.3 pretty much almost running perfectly. Obviously the Nvidia 8600gt and shutdown issues still exist but i can live with that. If anyone is interested i will gather all my info together and try to write something on here. Please don`t expect every Dell Inspiron 1720 install to work, my details are as guidance they are not full proof but they work for me. I have used the new Iatkos S3 release which so far has not given me a single kernel panic on boot (cd) or when installed.

Guys,

I now have 10.6.3 pretty much almost running perfectly. Obviously the Nvidia 8600gt and shutdown issues still exist but i can live with that. If anyone is interested i will gather all my info together and try to write something on here. Please don`t expect every Dell Inspiron 1720 install to work, my details are as guidance they are not full proof but they work for me. I have used the new Iatkos S3 release which so far has not given me a single kernel panic on boot (cd) or when installed.

I'm interested!   :)

Got some KP, but I got pass those. Now I can't get the touchpad to work.

If I get everything working I'll post details.

hi, what version of OSX86 i can install on a dell inspiron 1720 with a 2 Ghz (T2750) core 2 duo, video 8600 GT ? anyone can give me a link or something please

Are you sure the 2GHz <-> T2750? As long as you have an Inspiron 1720 @ 2GHz, you can run even the latest version very smoothly. There is an insane number of torrents you can find, I suggest what DrFruit suggested above, iatkos S3, seems to be the best option. Still has kinks though.