nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

My SL taking more boot time.. its taking 1 min at "waiting for dsmos"..

And i couldn't use GraphicsEnabler for my geforce GT 240. Its working but sometimes blue screen appears at login window. I need to restart several times to get it normal. I am using vga input to graphic card. I didn't face any problem when using dvi-vga converter, but i am not able to use native resolution 1440x900. i couldn't resolve it. Any help appreciated..:)

My SL taking more boot time.. its taking 1 min at "waiting for dsmos"..

And i couldn't use GraphicsEnabler for my geforce GT 240. Its working but sometimes blue screen appears at login window. I need to restart several times to get it normal. I am using vga input to graphic card. I didn't face any problem when using dvi-vga converter, but i am not able to use native resolution 1440x900. i couldn't resolve it. Any help appreciated.. ;)

Set GraphicsEnabler=No and then try an EFI graphics string by using EFIStudio and selecting 9800GT as the graphics device......

A. The guide of mine that have you linked to in post #1 is for a full Retail OS X Snow Leopard install using the Apple Retail Mac OS X Install DVD or its .dmg image.......that is why you do not see iATKOS S3 v2 listed......

B. iATKOS S3 v2, like ALL single-layer DVD distros, is a "stripped-down" version of the Retail OS X Install DVD containing NO Printer Drivers etc........if you want to install iATKOS S3 v2 then use my blog install guide.....this install guide like the Retail Install Guide, is written to be followed step-by-step, from step 1 to step 9 in sequence........so, do not be overwhelmed......go slowly step by step down the page..... :(

C. For a 64bit AppleNForceATA kext, see my nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for SL PART K. Developers/Contributors Corner, Item 6.

But you do not have to run in 64bit mode.......my nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for SL is written for running in 32bit mode.....

D. Do not be overwhelmed by my Snow Leopard guide........honestly, it is all in the guide, step-by-step...... :P

[1] Disconnect your Windows HDD

[2] Disconnect any external devices except mouse and keyboard that you have connected to your MOBO

[3] Use a Leopard distro Install DVD, e.g. iPC10.5.6 Final Version (see my blog iPC10.5.6 Install Guide) or XxX 10.5.6 v2 to run Disk Utiliy to partition the HDD as GPT and format as mac OS X Extended (Journaled) into a 12GB OS X target volume as the first physical volume on your 500GB HDD for OS X Leopard, followed by 2 equal size volumes for a main Snow Leopard system and for a backup Snow Leopard system............

[4] Install Leopard OS X but do not select any graphics/video options initially in the Customise menu......just get Leopard OS X running in VESA mode so that you can see the OS X Desktop.......

Unless you are using a Snow Leopard distro such as iATKOS S3 v2 Install DVD, the simplest method of installing Snow Leopard (if you do not already have Leopard installed on the PC) is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume (which you have now done I hope......) and then use the Leopard OS X system to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Format a HFS+ volume as your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and any other volumes your require on the GPT partitioned HDD using Disk Utility

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4) onto your target Snow Leopard OS X volume (OSX_MAIN) and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

7. Put all the necessary kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, sort out the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files to put in /Extra, as well as putting DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra......

That is, do all the above before you decide to use either the USB flash drive installer method or my nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method for installing from the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail Install DVD.........

See the section right near the top of post #1

HOW TO USE THIS GUIDE

it tells you what parts to follow for each of the options available to you.......

8. As for booting in 32bit mode vs 64bit mode..........I would recommend that you initially get the system working 100% in 32bit mode........

This is because the 64-bit kernel is only used by default in the 2008 and later Xserve rack mounted servers capable of using up to 48 GiB of memory, but also 2008 and later Mac Pros and the mid 2010 Mac Mini when running 10.6.x Server. All other Macs (apart from the mid 2010 Mac Pros) use the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by default because their hardware doesn’t support more than 32 GiB of memory, and since Snow Leopard is completely backwards-compatible with 32-bit applications and runs 64-bit applications regardless of whether it boots into a 64-bit or a 32-bit kernel, running the purely 64-bit kernel has little significant advantage........

I am not saying that there are no advantages, just that they are not as yet critically significant to the majority of OS X users...........the advantages being that the 64bit OS X kernel has the ability to [1] set up a memory address space for itself greater than 32-bits (4GB) and [2] access the full x64 register set of 64-bit CPUs..........hence, Apple is gradually increasing the number of Mac models that boot by default into the 64bit kernel.........

It's been a while, but I'm back to try this out.

Now, if I understand correctly:

I need to install Leopard (Retail) first, and then do the 7 steps you just said (btw: what part are you referring to?), and then I'm done?

Or do I have to use this guide you made: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;showentry=816 ?

It's been a while, but I'm back to try this out.

Now, if I understand correctly:

I need to install Leopard (Retail) first, and then do the 7 steps you just said (btw: what part are you referring to?), and then I'm done?

Or do I have to use this guide you made: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;showentry=816 ?

If you want a full Retail SL install then follow the guide in post #1 of this thread [Part B is in post #1].........

For convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on an Intel Mac to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for SL [Part B]

2. Produce a USB flash drive installer employing an image file of your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD [Part C]

3. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

4. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

5. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

6. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4 or RC5) onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

Then

Read PART C if you want to produce a USB flash drive installer employing an image file of your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD......

and then

Read PART D if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a GPT HDD volume.....

OR

Read PART E if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a MBR HDD volume.....

BUT

Read PART F if you want to install from a Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD disc to a GPT HDD volume using my nForceSLBoot132DVD......

but if you are happy with a cut-down distro SL install, then follow http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;showentry=816

Wow, thanks for this clear and fast reply! I really appreciate it!

Does a Retail version have that much advantages over a distro, or doesn't it really make such a big difference? (also, additional drivers for hardware can always be downloaded, right?)

Wow, thanks for this clear and fast reply! I really appreciate it!

Does a Retail version have that much advantages over a distro, or doesn't it really make such a big difference? (also, additional drivers for hardware can always be downloaded, right?)

Yes........because ALL single-layer DVD distros are "stripped-down" versions of the Retail OS X Install DVD containing NO Printer Drivers etc.......also, some distros produce a messy Snow Leopard installation because all the patched and/or non-Apple kexts are put in /System/Library/Extensions/ rather than in /Extra/Extensions/.......so that /S/L/E/ is no longer an untouched pure Apple kext, i.e. vanilla kext, folder.......and yes, any non-Apple kexts can be found and installed as required......

Yes........because ALL single-layer DVD distros are "stripped-down" versions of the Retail OS X Install DVD containing NO Printer Drivers etc.......also, some distros produce a messy Snow Leopard installation because all the patched and/or non-Apple kexts are put in /System/Library/Extensions/ rather than in /Extra/Extensions/.......so that /S/L/E/ is no longer an untouched pure Apple kext, i.e. vanilla kext, folder.......and yes, any non-Apple kexts can be found and installed as required......

Ok, thanks for the info!

I will try out your installation guide for iAtkos S3 v2 first!

Ok, I just installed OSX:

Using the -v (-x) cpus=1 maxmem=2048 I didn't even get to the setup.

Using maxmem=2048 I managed to install OSX, using your options.

However, when I boot into OSX, it immediatly reboots.

When I boot in verbose i get a few lines of text, but they are displayed too short to read.

What to do?

btw:

in your guide you have these ABCDE steps at the end, am i supposed to do something with those steps before rebooting?

Ok, I just installed OSX:

Using the -v (-x) cpus=1 maxmem=2048 I didn't even get to the setup.

Using maxmem=2048 I managed to install OSX, using your options.

However, when I boot into OSX, it immediatly reboots.

When I boot in verbose i get a few lines of text, but they are displayed too short to read.

What to do?

btw:

in your guide you have these ABCDE steps at the end, am i supposed to do something with those steps before rebooting?

First what is your nForce MOBO chipset and CPU?

Second have you set up your BIOS for OS X?

Third what were your Customise selections for iATKOS S3 v2 ?

If you have > 3GB RAM then follow step C........the other steps give information on how iATKOS sets up OS X on your HDD.....

First what is your nForce MOBO chipset and CPU?

Second have you set up your BIOS for OS X?

Third what were your Customise selections for iATKOS S3 v2 ?

If you have > 3GB RAM then follow step C........the other steps give information on how iATKOS sets up OS X on your HDD.....

First:

My motherboard is: Asus P5N32-E SLI, so I have the nForce 680i chipset

my cpu is: Intel C2D E6850

Second:

Ehm... not that I know, what should be changed? (and will windows still work correct afterwards?)

Third:

The exact same as you had in your guide.

Fourth:

But then I will have to be able to boot first, right?

and btw: I chose the AsereBLN v1.19 bootloader, but I still see the Chameleon bootloader at startup?

First:

My motherboard is: Asus P5N32-E SLI, so I have the nForce 680i chipset

my cpu is: Intel C2D E6850

Second:

Ehm... not that I know, what should be changed? (and will windows still work correct afterwards?)

Third:

The exact same as you had in your guide.

Fourth:

But then I will have to be able to boot first, right?

and btw: I chose the AsereBLN v1.19 bootloader, but I still see the Chameleon bootloader at startup?

Second:

See my Pre-Series 7 nForce topic here for a downloadable BIOS settings template for your 680i

Fourth: You can use Transmac in Windows to put the appropriate AppleNForceATA.kext for >3GB RAM into /Extra/Extensions/

BTW AsereBLN bootloader is a Chameleon derivative........

Second:

See my Pre-Series 7 nForce topic here for a downloadable BIOS settings template for your 680i

Fourth: You can use Transmac in Windows to put the appropriate AppleNForceATA.kext for >3GB RAM into /Extra/Extensions/

BTW AsereBLN bootloader is a Chameleon derivative........

Awesome!!

Ill check out that topic asap!

Thanks for the tip about TransMac, I've never seen a Mac OS file browser for Windows before :)

Ill try that now!

EDIT:

is there a big difference between the slashhack and AnV version of the AppleNForceATA kext?

and also, where do I need to copy the kext?

I cant find any folder named Extra anywhere... (TransMac only shows the following main folders: Applications, Library, System, Users)

EDIT:

In the BIOS settings, I see you want me to turn off:

Hyperthreading and Virtualization: arent these awesome Intel C2D functions? making my windows system faster?

Also, what is the effect of changing the following values?

CPU (Internal) Thermal Control [disabled to TM1 & TM2]

(Enhanced C1) C1E Enhanced Halt State [Enabled to disabled]

MAC0 LAN (Auto, Disabled) [Enabled to disabled]

Onboard 1st nVidia LAN [enabled to disabled] >> doesnt this remove my ethernet?

Awesome!!

Ill check out that topic asap!

Thanks for the tip about TransMac, I've never seen a Mac OS file browser for Windows before :D

Ill try that now!

EDIT:

is there a big difference between the slashhack and AnV version of the AppleNForceATA kext?

I cant find any folder named Extra anywhere... (TransMac only shows the following main folders: Applications, Library, System, Users)

EDIT:

Hyperthreading and Virtualization: arent these awesome Intel C2D functions? making my windows system faster?

AnV version is a "cleaner/newer" version of the slashack version.........put either in/Extra/Extensions/

/Extra is a folder in the / directory..........I will check what Transmac shows on my OS X system and get back to you later.......

Turn off initially and then on individually and then together.......if no kernel panics in OS X then keep them enabled in BIOS

Protects your CPU from overheating by auto-throttling it if a critical temperatures are reached

This is a CPU-throttling protocol which has to be disabled unless you have speed-stepping set up via DSDT or Chameleon RC5......see iLeopod's 680 DSDT topic here......but note here too.....hence I keep all BIOS CPU-throttling parameters disabled......

Only turned off temporarily until correct LAN kext is identified and installed.....

Only turned off temporarily until correct LAN kext is identified and installed.....

/Extra is a folder in the / directory..........I will check what Transmac shows on my OS X system and get back to you later.......

Once again, thanks for the great help, I'll wait for this info to continue ;)

Just run this command to show also hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

to hide them again just run the command with No instead of yes.

Once again, thanks for the great help, I'll wait for this info to continue :)

Transmac shows up my /Extra directory and /Extra/Extensions directory.......its Options enables you to show OS X hidden files too....... :)

Transmac shows up my /Extra directory and /Extra/Extensions directory.......its Options enables you to show OS X hidden files too....... ;)

Yeah, that works :D

But... how do I copy files from windows to mac?

Because I can't drag & drop, or rightclick Copy [windows] and rightclick Paste [transmac]...

:S

EDIT:

I found that I had to enable read/write...

Will test asap!

Is there a nForceIOATAFamily.kext for 64bit mode?

I am assuming that you too find that the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext in ioatafamilyboottimefix32+64.zip from here does not lead to reduced boot times in 64bit mode, when using imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext.....?

Maybe it is just be but it does seem a little faster than without it but not as fast as when booting arch=i386.

I am assuming that you too find that the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext in ioatafamilyboottimefix32+64.zip from here does not lead to reduced boot times in 64bit mode, when using imk's 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext.....?

Maybe it is just be but it does seem a little faster than without it but not as fast as when booting arch=i386.

Had you changed the OSBundleRequired property value in the Info.plist file of the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext and of the kexts in PlugIns from Local-Root to Root?

Is your posted question about an nForceIOATAFamily.kext for 64bit mode related to achieving a comparable boot time to that in 32bit (arch=i386) mode?

I reinstalled IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext using Kext Utility and now booting is super fast in 64bit mode so I am happy with that.

I also tried to install version 0.64.6 of the nForce LAN driver found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569 but it doesn't seem to load. I had to go back to version 0.64.5. Does the newer version have any changes I should care about enough to try to get it working?

I reinstalled IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext using Kext Utility and now booting is super fast in 64bit mode so I am happy with that.

I also tried to install version 0.64.6 of the nForce LAN driver found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569 but it doesn't seem to load. I had to go back to version 0.64.5. Does the newer version have any changes I should care about enough to try to get it working?

Yes I use 0.64.5 and have advised others to do so as well........I am not aware of any.......eno's entry only says:

- [0.64.6]Some adjustments that appear to improve Snow Leopard support.

A couple of questions out of interest:

1] Whose versions of IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext are you using?

2] Have you got IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext both installed in /S/L/E/ and do both load according to Terminal output from kextstat command?

3] Have you changed the OSBundleRequired property value in the Info.plist file of the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext and of the kexts in PlugIns from Local-Root to Root?

1)I am using the versions you linked to in your 1st post

2)The are in S/L/E. How do I check what is loading from a kextstat command?

3)I have no idea what you are talking about so I assume the answer is no.

A couple of questions out of interest:

1] Whose versions of IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext are you using?

2] Have you got IOATAFamily.kext and nForceIOATAFamily.kext both installed in /S/L/E/ and do both load according to Terminal output from kextstat command?

3] Have you changed the OSBundleRequired property value in the Info.plist file of the 64bit IOATAFamily.kext and of the kexts in PlugIns from Local-Root to Root