nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

thanks verdant. all seems ok. but hope theres somthing i can do to make my audio safe.

btw you know anything about these random freezes?

Your Asus Striker Extreme 680i chipset MOBO uses the SupremeFX audio (ADI AD1988B chipset) system card AFAIK, just like my Asus 650i chipset MOBO, so see post #2 on setting up your onboard audio .......

Your MOBO uses the SupremeFX audio (ADI AD1988B chipset) system card AFAIK, just like my Asus MOBO, so see post #2 on setting up your onboard audio .......

thank you so much, will do and let you know how it goes

thank you so much, will do and let you know how it goes

If you cannot get the DSDT audio mod sorted, then send it to me as before....... :D

barr im wondering were to start ahah.

I will patch your DSDT.aml for you and you can download the AD1988b.Fix.kext and put it in /Extra.......

downloaded and ive put in /extra

OK.....I have PM'd you your Audio Patched DSDT.aml file.......just substitute it for your current DSDT.aml file..... ;)

im scared to update as it taken me this long to get this far lmao!

verdant thank you again i will let you know indeed.

btw i do put this in Extra/Extentions?

AD1988b.Fix.kext goes in /Extra/Extensions and your DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra/.......

AD1988b.Fix.kext goes in /Extra/Extensions and your DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra/.......

hmmm 2 DSDT files in Extra?

i will have to folow this up in the moring. thank you so much for the patching.

after i repair ownership and permissions my system shuts down... normal?

i wil now update and put AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext back into S/L/E

hmmm 2 DSDT files in Extra?

i will have to folow this up in the moring. thank you so much for the patching.

after i repair ownership and permissions my system shuts down... normal?

i wil now update and put AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext back into S/L/E

No, you replace the original RTC Patched DSDT.aml (keep it safe somewhere) with the RTC and Audio patched DSDT.aml file........

No, you replace the original RTC Patched DSDT.aml (keep it safe somewhere) with the RTC and Audio patched DSDT.aml file........

.....we all have noob moments..

thank you verdant, as i was just planing to use the external card i didnt install the one on mobo, im a cable short but i sure once installed it will work. will let you know. only this annoying freezing to sort

thank you again.

.....we all have noob moments..

thank you verdant, as i was just planing to use the external card i didnt install the one on mobo, im a cable short but i sure once installed it will work. will let you know. only this annoying freezing to sort

thank you again.

Do you mean a external audio cable? Well, when it is installed, lets hope it works..........

About the freezing, when does it tend to happen, or is it completely random, i.e. happening shortly after: switch on; when doing nothing; heavy screen scrolling; heavy data transfer via Firewire and/or USB; opening multiple apps; after PC has been on hours; light and/or heavy Internet download/upload.......?

Do you mean a external audio cable? Well, when it is installed, lets hope it works..........

About the freezing, when does it tend to happen, or is it completely random, i.e. happening shortly after: switch on; when doing nothing; heavy screen scrolling; heavy data transfer via Firewire and/or USB; opening multiple apps; after PC has been on hours; light and/or heavy Internet download/upload.......?

well im not much of a pc buider myself but i slotted thie pci card to mobo, and nothing showed up on osx so im assuming i need to attacth the cable ( looks like fan connecter) but from my minimum experience i dont think i need to :S

the freezing happens like you said, heavy data transfer via Firewire and/or USB; opening multiple apps installing apps ect.

i can download files ok and speak to you on net fine.

BTW. updated no long ago, and put kext back. all seems ok

well im not much of a pc buider myself but i slotted thie pci card to mobo, and nothing showed up on osx so im assuming i need to attacth the cable ( looks like fan connecter) but from my minimum experience i dont think i need to :S

the freezing happens like you said, heavy data transfer via Firewire and/or USB; opening multiple apps installing apps ect.

i can download files ok and speak to you on net fine.

BTW. updated no long ago, and put kext back. all seems ok

The Asus SupremeFX sound card is not a PCI sound card and the multi-wire cable enables you to connect the audio card to the PC case front panel audio ports......

In OS X until you have the audio patched DSDT and AD1988b.Kex.kext installed, you will not know if it is functioning OK......

The Asus SupremeFX sound card is not a PCI sound card and the multi-wire cable enables you to connect the audio acrd to the PC case front panel audio ports......

In OS X until you have the audio patched DSDT and AD1988b.Kex.kext installed, you will not know if it is functioning OK......

no way, then i do apologize. the only sound card i have with the board is that of a pci. and i had to fit myself. not an onboard one. (strange)

http://xtreview.com/images/NVIDIA-nForce-6...riker-sound.jpg

no way, then i do apologize. the only sound card i have with the board is that of a pci. and i had to fit myself. not an onboard one. (strange)

http://xtreview.com/images/NVIDIA-nForce-6...riker-sound.jpg

That is the Asus SupremeFX audio riser card.......quote from here......

Besides the three PCI Express x16 slots that I have already mentioned, ASUS Striker Extreme also has one PCI Express x1 slot and two PCI slots. To the right of the first PCI Express x16 slot there is a small unique slot for the ASUS Supreme-FX sound card that is bundled with ASUS Striker Extreme mainboard.

supreme-1s.jpg

The physical design of this slot is similar to PCI Express x1 but turned by 180 degrees, however there is no electrical compatibility with the PCI Express x1. The thing is that Supreme-FX is actually not a fully-fledged sound card, but simply an analogue part of the sound tract connected to the AC97 interface. That is why you can only see a one microchip on the Supreme-FX card: the high-definition 8-channel Analog Devices AD1988B codec.

supreme-2s.jpg

So, it wouldn’t be fair to compare ASUS Supreme-FX against any other stand alone sound cards, this solution is analogous to the Karajan audio unit used on DFI mainboards. Supreme-FX may outperform the integrated sound solutions offered by other mainboard manufacturers only thanks to the reduction of noises generated by analogue sound tract EMI.

Note that the AD1988B codec still has a few interesting peculiarities. Namely, it supports the Andrea SuperBeam Array Microphone that comes bundled with ASUS Striker Extreme mainboard. This codec provides great sound quality compliant with Windows Vista Premium Logo and Dolby Master Studio.

hmm interesting.. so its useless with osx86? nice read tho :(

I am using the SupremeFX audio card for my sound in OS X, Windows and Ubuntu.........

I am using the SupremeFX audio card for my sound in OS X, Windows and Ubuntu.........

hmm.. i see. so the patch and kext i installed should of made it work? sorry it just made me a bit confussed

it would be nice to have it working as its installed but my main aim is to use m-audio card with is ok atm. but its just the whole firewire issue. i guess ill just have to use it and find out. but its ok with m-audio drivers so far.

this whole freezing thing?

hmm.. i see. so the patch and kext i installed should of made it work? sorry it just made me a bit confussed

it would be nice to have it working as its installed but my main aim is to use m-audio card with is ok atm. but its just the whole firewire issue. i guess ill just have to use it and find out. but its ok with m-audio drivers so far.

this whole freezing thing?

On the SupremeFX audio card the top black connector CD1 connects to your DVDRW and the bottom green AAFP1 connector with 9 open pins as follows:

Adapted from post by Alien Grey in the Asus forum

1__2__3__4__5

[°] [°] [°] [°] [°] Top Row - nearest to board surface

6__7__8__9__10

[°] [ ] [°] [°] [°] Bottom Row - furthest from board surface

Top Row

1. Line out Left

2. No Connection

3. Line out Right

4. Micbiyes --> I have no clue what this is?

5. Mic In

Bottom Row

6. Return Left

7. BLANK NO PIN

8. Return Right

9. +5VA pos

10. -Ground

connects to your front panel audio ports......onboard Audio HD needs to be enabled in BIOS......

The freezing issue relates to the Southbridge 680i MCP chipset, which simultaneously controls all the I/O devices such as USB, SATA and PATA (driven by the AppleNForceATA.kext), as well as Firewire......

post-200327-1274023019_thumb.gif

Hence, your Firewire audio issues.......maybe additional cooling of the Southbridge chipset would help........that is why I am suggesting you do not use Firewire for audio.......your choice however.....you can also try the MeDevil / aryajuanda AppleNForceATA.kext.....see post #1 Part K Item 4........ :(

Hi mate.

How ya doing? See that you keep helping people. That's good.

I sent a message to tango3 telling him that I was already set to give him help, but he didn't answer me yet. :)

Let's wait a bit more...

@smungle.

Mate, I assure you that if you follow verdant's advice you will have no regrets.

This guy helps me a lot. All I know about OS X today I thank to him.

Cheers to all,

bb.

Hi mate.

How ya doing? See that you keep helping people. That's good.

I sent a message to tango3 telling him that I was already set to give him help, but he didn't answer me yet. :D

Let's wait a bit more...

@smungle.

Mate, I assure you that if you follow verdant's advice you will have no regrets.

Cheers to all,

bb.

Hi bb,

Fine thanks. Hope you are too.

Glad you got your replacement MOBO and PC sorted out after the flood and that its CPU is now cooler than you in Brazil......in fact, Arctic Cooling no less......LOL

Thanks for offering to help tango3.......maybe work/school/uni etc. has kept tango3 too busy to reply yet......? You have done your best by offering him/her your help..... :|

@smungle.

Cheers to all,

bb.

you are absolutely correct. verdant has been more than helpfull in helping me and you wouldnt belive how appreciative i am as if it wasnt for his time,knowledge and dedication i would be writing from my windows 7 right now.

its just hard and tiring understanding so im reading and taking it in bit by bit.

about the firewire. its more of a cost issue in why im using it. my sound from the 410 is having no effect with osx thats y i thought it wasnt the firewire making it freeze.

but as it to do with the Southbridge 680i MCP chipset, i would get hte same with usb right?

i only ask as im using midi and phono out/inputs so i ideally need it to work. but i understand now that as its to do with my chipset. im kinda screwed.

but will try your suggestions i.e MeDevil / aryajuanda AppleNForceATA.kext and cooling as i know they will be 100% helpfull.

i will post and tell you how it goes. thank you kindly ;)