nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

@ CoBrA2168

No problem! When you do follow my OS X Lion Install guide, please let me know if and when you think some parts need more and/or clearer explanation....... :|

Thanks

verdant

BTW Did you also put your GFX card device ID in NVDAResman.kext as Krazubu says to do......?

@ CoBrA2168

No problem! When you do follow my OS X Lion Install guide, please let me know if and when you think some parts need more and/or clearer explanation....... :P

Thanks

verdant

BTW Did you also put your GFX card device ID in NVDAResman.kext as Krazubu says to do......?

Nope, just the NVDANVX40hal.kext file. I couldn't find the place to put it in the NVDAResman.kext so I just ignored it! Luckily it still worked.

That's unfortunate about the sleep mode not working on nForce mobos. That's the only thing I need for a perfect hackintosh. I'll keep an eye out on the forums if anyone figures it out, or if someone already has a solution please post it!

Nope, just the NVDANVX40hal.kext file. I couldn't find the place to put it in the NVDAResman.kext so I just ignored it! Luckily it still worked.

That's unfortunate about the sleep mode not working on nForce mobos. That's the only thing I need for a perfect hackintosh. I'll keep an eye out on the forums if anyone figures it out, or if someone already has a solution please post it!

In that case I will add a section to post #2 in my OS X Lion Guide on how to insert GFX card device IDs into the nVidia kexts......

As for sleep......who knows....?

• 4 weeks later...

installed with hazard 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 install dvd , with final ppf. combo updated to 10.6.8 patched sleep enabler

Ran [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] for gfx and sound

everything ran fine then when using web or any type of programs the computer stutters to a stop and eventually kernel panics.

img20111005010844.jpg

xfx nforce 750i

q6600 2.4ghz

4 ddr2 667mhz

nvidia gtx 460 1gb

alc888s sound

350gb harddrive

installed with hazard 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 install dvd , with final ppf. combo updated to 10.6.8 patched sleep enabler

Ran [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] for gfx and sound

everything ran fine then when using web or any type of programs the computer stutters to a stop and eventually kernel panics.

xfx nforce 750i

q6600 2.4ghz

4 ddr2 667mhz

nvidia gtx 460 1gb

alc888s sound

350gb harddrive

See if you can boot OK using -v maxmem=2048........and if you can, then with 4GB RAM you are using the wrong AppleNForceATA.kext..........use Slashack's or AnV's version......see post #1......

• 1 month later...

Verdant strikes again....So I was having issue with my raid array and Verdant showed me a little trick on how to get it working on all four of my cores until applenforceata.kext is updated with raid support use maxmem=3456. I can only use half of my available ram but the system is stable finally and I will be looking forward to the updated kext whenever it may be released. Nick savage narrowed the issue down to memory. I can't wait to see what he will figure out next finally some movement on this issue! Here is some info on the subject:

http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/issues/detail?id=2

Does Slashack Manage this? Can we get a hold of him? If you goto the project home link it has someones email slash...@gmail.com

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1754512

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...shooting-Thread

Thanks again Verdant and Nick Savage you rock!!! :P:hysterical::D

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I think I may have found the solution to this issue! I have had this issue for some time I have recently rebuilt both of the members of my array using the web GUI from highpoint and I am now running with all 6gb of my memory with no esata resets or beach ball issues. I am currently streaming HD content to my apple tv via plex, watching hd content via plex on my pc, playing audio to my airport express and copying large files to and from my array all at the same time. If your having issues rebuild your array completely using the maxmem=3072 flag then you can get rid of the boot flag and run smoothly! Your array's data may just be inconsistent! Don't use Launchpad, mission control, safari, or itunes while rebuilding or your array may crash! I believe while your array is rebuilding if you have a PCI-E graphics card like my GTX280 any heavy graphics issue causes a issue between your PCI-E RAID card and your Graphics card. Also if I right click to copy or paste inside safari seems to disrupt my array for a second but it doesn't reset. Weird but it works mostly hopefully this helps. Maybe all of these sata or esata raid issues are all linked to inconsistent arrays internal or external and bad hard drives with bad sectors or bad data. If all else fails format or rebuild! I am confident now that I could run osx on my esata raid 10 array. Till USB 3.0 is working looks like we have a great alternative for now. Enjoy :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm scratching my head here...

I recently upgraded my Abit Aw9D-MAX motherboard to an eVGA 790i FTW. Before the upgrade, everything was working smoothly. Initially I was able to boot up, then about a minute later, everything locked up. Disabling spotlight on all of my volumes fixed this, and I was able to fix a few things. Onboard ethernet, Airport, and accelerated video were not working properly. I managed to fix the video and ethernet problems, but airport will not work anymore. I was successfully using AirportFix.kext before the upgrade, and now it just kernel panics on boot. I have also lost my USB right before login. If i boot in safe mode, USB works fine. I have already tried downgrading USB drivers to 10.6.4 version with no luck.

I had this system running perfectly before the upgrade (no DSDT) and I intend to do the same with this board.

What might be the issue here?

Heres my specs:

eVGA 790i FTW motherboard

Core 2 Quad E6600

eVGA GTX 275 OC 896MB

4GB 1333 DDR3

1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 on JMicron controller

TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter

10.6.8 on GUID - Chimera v1.7.0 r1394

I'm scratching my head here...

I recently upgraded my Abit Aw9D-MAX motherboard to an eVGA 790i FTW. Before the upgrade, everything was working smoothly. Initially I was able to boot up, then about a minute later, everything locked up. Disabling spotlight on all of my volumes fixed this, and I was able to fix a few things. Onboard ethernet, Airport, and accelerated video were not working properly. I managed to fix the video and ethernet problems, but airport will not work anymore. I was successfully using AirportFix.kext before the upgrade, and now it just kernel panics on boot. I have also lost my USB right before login. If i boot in safe mode, USB works fine. I have already tried downgrading USB drivers to 10.6.4 version with no luck.

I had this system running perfectly before the upgrade (no DSDT) and I intend to do the same with this board.

What might be the issue here?

Heres my specs:

eVGA 790i FTW motherboard

Core 2 Quad E6600

eVGA GTX 275 OC 896MB

4GB 1333 DDR3

1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 on JMicron controller

TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter

10.6.8 on GUID - Chimera v1.7.0 r1394

You have moved from an Intel chipset MOBO to an nForce chipset MOBO..........so I suggest a few things:

1. Check BIOS settings against my OS X template for nForce 790i chipset

2. Use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and cable-connected as Master to your MOBO

3. Move the HDD off the JMicron SATA MOBO port to a nVidia nForce SATA port and use imk's 64bit capable AppleNForceA.kext

4. Sort out your DSDT.aml file with the RTC patch to fix the CMOS reset issue

5. Accept that sleep will not work properly and that you may need to use maxmem=3072 for "no freeze" operation

What kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions/ currently......?

What is your TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter chipset......?

Hi Verdant,

I can't install Mac Lion on my asus p5n32-e sli plus board. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Myhack. Do you have a solution?

Hi Verdant,

I can't install Mac Lion on my asus p5n32-e sli plus board. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Myhack. Do you have a solution?

Yes, follow my OS X Lion guide...... :trumpet:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I've got a pretty nice Snow Leo 10.6.8 64 bit installation in place. The only thing that I can't get is the integrated IDE controller.

SATA is working fine by just the addition of my device ID into the 10.6.5 version of /S/L/E/AppleAHCIPort.kext.

But the PATA still eludes me. Adding the device ID to any version of AppleNForceATA.kext that I have found just fails.

Here is my PATA device ...

00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP73 IDE [10de:056c] (rev a1)

This is on an Acer M1640 E6300 Core 2 Duo system. It's an nForce 7050/620i M/B.

Any ideas ?

TIA

• 1 year later...

I will not delete a 107 page topic just because one person doesn't like the guide that spawned it.

Show some respect. What have you done for the community?

We're in 2014, this guide is for installing an obsolete version of OS X on obsolete hardware, latest activity before your post was almost two years ago.

Why bother bumping it to the top just to tell everyone that you don't like it? You're two years late to the party.

The dead links point off-site. All the files mentioned can still be found here or elsewhere.

• Like 1

@ naythinjuromeh

Factually, the many positive comments on the usefulness of all my nForce guides for OS X 10.5.x, 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x, and 10.9.x far outweigh the very few negative comments, such as yours.......in any event, no one is forcing you to read the guide, even less use it........

However, if and when you decide to read and follow what I have written, asking me for help by means of specific questions when you become "confused" or "stuck" at any stage in the guide, rather than saying "what you expect me to do" and "what you would have done in my place" and "what I should now be doing", remembering that I have given and continue to give freely of my time to help IM members in return for the help I have received/receive from other IM members, then I will respond to your posts to help you (even re-activating download links when required)......my help is a freely offered gift NOT an expected obligation!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...