[ got it;) ]SnowLeopard on 780i, i'm almost there, what am i missing ?

MrRoper

8 posts in this topic

So i've been over in iphone-land for the last year or two, but i've managed to restore snow leopard retail dvd to a usb stick, i installed the latest chameleon and efi 10.2 , added my modified dsdt.aml file and generated a new Extensions.mkext file (i386 and also 64)

In the Extensions.mkext i made sure to include: AHCIPortInjector, AppleNForceATA, ATAPortInjector, Disabler, dsmos, fakesmc, IOACHIBlockStorageInjector, JMicronATAInjector, NullCPUPower Management, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, SleepEnabler

so i reboot to the usb stick, it boots up perfectly, however when i go to install SL to my system, I am not seeing any mounted HD's , only the usbstick.

any help would be appreciated, i'm almost there ;)

What am i missing here ?

Go to Finder -- Preferences and check show hard drives. I think this is a default setting in SL

hi thanks for responding but, SL is not installed yet. the installer disc has been restored to a usb stick. so essentially i'm using the usb stick instead of the retail dvd to install SL now. but when the SL installer reaches the point where i need to choose a HD to install to, nothing appears but the usb stick that i'm already booted to...

any help would be greatly appreciated

hi thanks for responding but, SL is not installed yet. the installer disc has been restored to a usb stick. so essentially i'm using the usb stick instead of the retail dvd to install SL now. but when the SL installer reaches the point where i need to choose a HD to install to, nothing appears but the usb stick that i'm already booted to...

any help would be greatly appreciated

I get the same experience on my Inspiron 530. What's your SATA mode set to? On mine, the two options are RAID and IDE. On IDE, it doesn't even boot the installer, on RAID, I get no HD's to install to when the Snow Leopard installer boots.

I'm guessing it's a missing kext, but I'm not sure which one I need, and whether it belongs in the Extra/Extensions folder, or in System/Library/Extensions on the install image...

I get the same experience on my Inspiron 530. What's your SATA mode set to? On mine, the two options are RAID and IDE. On IDE, it doesn't even boot the installer, on RAID, I get no HD's to install to when the Snow Leopard installer boots.

I'm guessing it's a missing kext, but I'm not sure which one I need, and whether it belongs in the Extra/Extensions folder, or in System/Library/Extensions on the install image...

i haven't had much time lately but i've tried a few things and nothing doin still. on my bios i have no options for raid or ide for sata mode, it's simply on or off in different sections for ide vs sata. I can get my usb stick to boot to leopard but again i can see no HD's except the usb stick. I installed the new chameleon rc3 on the snowleopard drive and it won't even boot now.

so where i'm at currently is, i can get snowleopard to start booting on the HD, and then i get to "waiting for root partition" error and it hangs forever . i'm plagued with it, i know i must be missing the device id or something in a particular kext i'm not sure which to look in. The waiting for root partition error has hit me on every flavor of osx, have managed to work through them with different installs, i'll have to go back and search for a kext from an osx install that worked for me.

as for the missing kext and where you should place it, it needs to be in the extensions.mkext file but also in the extensions/extra folder if your using chameleon to my understanding. i'm a bit rusty though, it's been a while

i haven't had much time lately but i've tried a few things and nothing doin still. on my bios i have no options for raid or ide for sata mode, it's simply on or off in different sections for ide vs sata. I can get my usb stick to boot to leopard but again i can see no HD's except the usb stick. I installed the new chameleon rc3 on the snowleopard drive and it won't even boot now.

so where i'm at currently is, i can get snowleopard to start booting on the HD, and then i get to "waiting for root partition" error and it hangs forever . i'm plagued with it, i know i must be missing the device id or something in a particular kext i'm not sure which to look in. The waiting for root partition error has hit me on every flavor of osx, have managed to work through them with different installs, i'll have to go back and search for a kext from an osx install that worked for me.

as for the missing kext and where you should place it, it needs to be in the extensions.mkext file but also in the extensions/extra folder if your using chameleon to my understanding. i'm a bit rusty though, it's been a while

Have a read through my nForce Install Guide for Snow Leopard using a USB stick.....it will hopefully clarify some things for you..... :D

Have a read through my nForce Install Guide for Snow Leopard using a USB stick.....it will hopefully clarify some things for you..... :thumbsup_anim:

hey verdant,

it's been a while. how ya doin.

ya going back to the drawing board, i fiddled all morning today and i've managed to be able to install either via usb restored SL, or from one of my existing osx installations, i can see the HD and format and install it on my SL HD. I've added in my UUID from the SL HD to bios plist as well as platformuuid.kext aml , mkext recreated trying different kexts, verbose boot looks good till i get to "waiting for root device" and hangs.

I'm gonna have to do some more reading to find out what dependancy i'm missing here

hopefully i'll find it in your thread... my issue is i've never really figured out what was causing that waiting for root device error with this 780i board, happaned on the 680i too with certain distro's. in past distro's i just kept trying till i found one that worked. i'm going to go back and investigate kext's in my ideneb 10.5.5 or kalyway 10.5.2 as well....

sigh....

just to update ....

I've successfully installed SL 10.6.1 and is now running on my 780i evga nforce board.

ethernet working via belkin N usb wireless, NVinject, VoodooHDA and everything seems to be running great. reboot and shutdown work with a little help from openhaltrestart , Sleep not working but i can live with that for now.

The Waiting for root device error, very annoying... but got past this time by copying over all ATA kexts from my leopard PATA install i keep around with the following command in terminal less the quotes:

"cp -pr /System/Library/Extensions/*ATA* /Volumes/SNOW/System/Library/Extensions"

reboot with -x -v -f -x32 flags

don't forget to rebuild your mkext or you'll forever be booting up with -f flag

64 bit mode is still not working for me, i guess that will happen if we ever get a recompiled nforceATA.kext for 64bit ? lookin into this...