Windows7RCx64 won't boot w/ EFI

Gato_shin

1 post in this topic

I had post this topic in the Winodws forum but simply no reply...

The original post is here, if any administrater saw this, please be kind enough to delete the other one instead of this, thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got problems about installing windows 7 on my macbook pro 13 with efi mode.

If you are installing Windows� to an EFI-based computer, you must enable EFI mode in the computer's firmware in both attended and unattended installations. You must boot to 64-bit EFI-mode preinstallation media (64-bit Windows PE in EFI mode or 64-bit Windows Setup in EFI mode). You cannot install Windows to UEFI-based computers in BIOS mode.
More detail about requirments for windows on efi system can be find here.

First: how to boot the install dvd with efi mode?

When I insert the dvd into my superdrive and boot the mac holding option, the EFI boot option jumps out but, after selecting it, the mac boot the leopard instead of the windows setup in efi mode. Now I'm using the refit to boot the windows 7 install DVD and come to problem 2. Is there other choice for me to boot the DVD in efi mode? It'll be fine if there isn't, rEFIt works fine for me.

Second: how to solve the halt after loding disk.sys?

I had a macbook unibody before this macbook pro 13 and installed windows 7 RC on it using refit. But the system was working with the protective mbr and could not read partitions after number 4 (because mbr only allows 4 primary partitions and gpt does not have such limit). After some research I found that Windows Vista or Server 2008 or 7 (x64) should be able to be installed into and boot from a gpt disk. But when I boot from the 7RC x64 dvd, I found it was booted by default as bios mode and does not allow me to install into a gpt partation. So I went to problem 1 and kinda solved it with refit. But new problem occurs when booting the 7RCx64 dvd in efi mode. It halts with "windows is loading files". In safe mode, it halts after loading the file "Disk.sys". I had tried waiting it for hours but nothing happens. What shall I do to proceed the installation?