Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530

eclypse

154 posts in this topic

ahmo12: Using the Inspiron 530? I had that problem too with my dedicated card, and it was that the kexts I used didn't work, using the integrated graphics will give you poor graphics in order to fix the dedicated (remember to remove the kext in -s before using the integrated or you'll get the same results; see my guide in my sig.). I'm pretty sure I only had this problem when using kexts, so i would try using an EFI string if available. If not, try a DSDT patch, I heard that's even more like a real mac (even though it's much harder than EFI strings).

to multiple people: well, my shutdown and reboot do the same thing as previously stated, I tried the EvOSx reboot kext and it didn't change anything compared to the openhaltreboot. The only other option (forget the name) didn't support shutdown completely in the first place. I also tried a lot of DSDT fixes, but they didn't work either. I guess we just have to wait for a fix. I think if Apple released the kernel sources this would be much easier for dev's. COMON APPLE!

Has anyone managed to get Sleep working succesfully on Dell Inspiron 530?

I have Snow Leopard installed on my Dell inspiron 530 and everything works 100% :( except for sleep :P

Art

most of us can't even get shutdown/restart to work. how did you install SL? and how did u get shutdown/restart to function correctly? what are your system specs?

did u follow one of the guides posted here for installing SL?

most of us can't even get shutdown/restart to work. how did you install SL? and how did u get shutdown/restart to function correctly? what are your system specs?

did u follow one of the guides posted here for installing SL?

I followed Mattisz's instructions here and used the patches he supplies

http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530

After that I did a few adjustments to the com.Apple.boot.plist

I even have the maximum display resolution working properly and perfect which I didn't get on Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.6

I guess getting sleep working on the Inspiron 530 is an impossibility though. Sleep not working really isn't a problem with me as I don't use my Dell Inspiron 530 for the internet. I only use my Inspiron 530 for Logic Pro 9 and Final Cut Pro 7 but it would of been nice to get it working.

System Specs:

Dell Inspiron 530 Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz

4GB Ram 667Mhz

Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS 512mb

Focusrite Saffire LE FireWire audio interface

Retail Snow Leopard (updated to 10.6.2 through Apple Software Update)

Chameleon 2 RC3

Everything works except sleep

Shut Down/Restart - Works :)

USB/USB2.0 - Works :D

Wi-Fi - Dell Inspriron 530 doesn't have Wi-Fi built in.

Ethernet - I don't know. I don't need it anyway as I don't use my Dell as an internet machine.

Sleep - Doesn't work ;)

Display/Graphics - Works :D

Audio - I use my Saffire LE FireWire Audio interface on my Dell Inspiron 530 :D

Art

Well I'll take any help u can give me. I really want to get my shutdown working

1.Open com.apple.Boot.plist and copy this into com.apple.Boot.plist...

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

2. Download and install the SL64 kexts folder which is available on this forum using OSX86Tools.

Art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced mouse stutter / lag problems after updating to 10.6.2?

I have a GeForce 8600 GT and whenever I have Quicktime or iTunes open, the mouse skips every few seconds if I'm moving it.

Even when they're not open, video playback stutters every few seconds (in VLC, Quicktime, MPlayer OS X Extended, and in flash).

Playback was fine in 10.6.1 and I was able to fix the Quicktime/iTunes issue by using a Disabler.kext that disabled AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver, but now I can't seem to fix it at all.

Anyone know how I could investigate or fix this? Any help would be much appreciated!

---

I didn't add that to the boot plist file yet. I've figured out that shutdown works if I unplug my USB ext hdd. Hmmm

I experience this with the iphone on an Inspiron 530 set up using the files included in mattisz's guide. Shutting down will power off then automatically/instantly restart, but only if the iphone is plugged in. I thought it had to do with a power setting, but the BIOS options are too basic. USB ports have no power when the machine is off, so I can't recharge unless I leave it on. :/

Has anyone experienced mouse stutter / lag problems after updating to 10.6.2?

I have a GeForce 8600 GT and whenever I have Quicktime or iTunes open, the mouse skips every few seconds if I'm moving it.

Even when they're not open, video playback stutters every few seconds (in VLC, Quicktime, MPlayer OS X Extended, and in flash).

Playback was fine in 10.6.1 and I was able to fix the Quicktime/iTunes issue by using a Disabler.kext that disabled AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver, but now I can't seem to fix it at all.

Anyone know how I could investigate or fix this? Any help would be much appreciated!

---

I experience this with the iphone on an Inspiron 530 set up using the files included in mattisz's guide. Shutting down will power off then automatically/instantly restart, but only if the iphone is plugged in. I thought it had to do with a power setting, but the BIOS options are too basic. USB ports have no power when the machine is off, so I can't recharge unless I leave it on. :/

is you vid card setup properly? is QE/CI enabled?

only time i noticed mouse lag was when i had a weak internet connection.

as for the usb shutdown problem i still have it. i just decided to unplug all usb devices before shutting down. annoying but works.

I used EFI Studio to set it up, and as far as I can tell it mostly works fine (Quartz works; I can't find where it says that everything is working in the System Profiler anymore; see screenshot). Occasionally when I turn on my screens I'll see snow/static until I cycle the inputs, but I figured that's unrelated.

post-446278-1261854706_thumb.png

I just did a reinstall from scratch and updated to 10.6.2, so I'm going to try this out in case that fixes part of the problem. The stutter while Quicktime/iTunes is open is still here though.

Thanks!

I still have this issue, even after formatting and reinstalling 10.6.2. It is noticeable when I play videos in any media player, whether fullscreen or windowed. These videos are played from my hard drive, so this is not an internet connection problem. This is a new problem since updating from 10.6.1.

I've installed Perian (codecs), MPlayer OS X Extended, VLC, and the latest iTunes/Quicktime, besides a few unrelated essentials (Adium, Firefox, etc). A slight stutter in playback is exhibited in all three programs, but Quicktime has the added annoyance of mouse skipping that I could previously fix by disabling (I think) AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

I've set up using the guide provided by mattisz, then enabled my video card using EFI Studio for the GeForce 8600 GT, which appeared to work fine until this update.

Any help is much appreciated. An additional thanks to mattisz for his great guide and the zip file he included.

well check to see if you can play chess and check if your screensaver works. i think this is the only way to determine if QE/CI is working.

also try vlc media player and remove perian/codec stuff etc...

im a noob too so this is the best i can do for a fellow 530 owner

My screen saver works but chess gave me a kernel panic. I have a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS.

Would getting a more compatible video be worth the investment? I know the card I currently have is pretty crappy. I would welcome modestly priced recommendations

well check to see if you can play chess and check if your screensaver works. i think this is the only way to determine if QE/CI is working.

Well it looks like your vid card isn't fully working. Is it supported in the wiki? Did u try to search for it on the forums to see if someone else has it working?

I'm using a pny 9400 gt 1gb. Not the greatest but all I do is use it for my htpc to watch movies, I really like the magic mouse for fastforwarding and rewinding vids.

You should keep trying. You are very close!

Could you please recommend a process for installing this card correctly. I tried the EFI Studio but I'm a newbie in the dark. To get as far as I have I followed Mattisz thread to the letter. I am using Chameleon RC 3 as my boot loader. Until I installed Chameleon my video did not work at all.

Dell Inspiron 530

E6550 2 Duo @ 2.33 Ghz

Nvidia 7600 GS

4 GIG Ram

Realtek Audio (on board)

Dual monitor

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Well it looks like your vid card isn't fully working. Is it supported in the wiki? Did u try to search for it on the forums to see if someone else has it working?

I'm using a pny 9400 gt 1gb. Not the greatest but all I do is use it for my htpc to watch movies, I really like the magic mouse for fastforwarding and rewinding vids.

You should keep trying. You are very close!

Look for an app called osxtools. Add efi graphic string. Use a drop down of your card or do a custom one if it is not available. Then verify again by trying to play chess

always use kext helper to repair permissions if u haven't been doing already

Thanks notdave,

Chess works, screensaver works. Issue persists in VLC (which doesn't use Perian's codecs), and these videos don't play in Quicktime once Perian was uninstalled (due to there not being appropriate codecs).

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Update: I might be crazy; I don't see it every few seconds anymore. I only really noticed a jitter when I accidentally left Quicktime running in the background but was playing video with VLC. I guess all I need is to find the fix for Quicktime/iTunes.

I am sorry for being such a newbie but could you please expand on " always use kext helper to repair permissions if u haven't been doing already" What kext helper would I use to run a repair? How is it done.

Thank you

Look for an app called osxtools. Add efi graphic string. Use a drop down of your card or do a custom one if it is not available. Then verify again by trying to play chess

always use kext helper to repair permissions if u haven't been doing already

I successfully installed 10.6.2, 64 bits, on my Vostro 200 slim (almost same as Inspiron 530 config) and have only two issues to solve:

- Sleep (goes to sleep, HDD & Fans off but no wake)

- Audio Input

I tried DSDT patching and several kexts config but nothing. Kexts I have in E/E:

- AHCIPortInjector (same results if not present)

- AtherosFix

- fakesmc

- IOATAFamily

- OpenHaltRestart

- SleepEnabler (same results if not present)

Just in case someone has other idea to follow.

Thanks.

Thanks notdave,

Chess works, screensaver works. Issue persists in VLC (which doesn't use Perian's codecs), and these videos don't play in Quicktime once Perian was uninstalled (due to there not being appropriate codecs).

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Update: I might be crazy; I don't see it every few seconds anymore. I only really noticed a jitter when I accidentally left Quicktime running in the background but was playing video with VLC. I guess all I need is to find the fix for Quicktime/iTunes.

i had to uninstall itunes completely as it would not update to 9.02. apple has guides on how to completely remove itunes and probably quicktime too, just be sure to follow it.

I am sorry for being such a newbie but could you please expand on " always use kext helper to repair permissions if u haven't been doing already" What kext helper would I use to run a repair? How is it done.

Thank you

the app is called "kext helper" its in the zip file that mattisze has on his "how to".

Anyone with some advice on getting my sata working? I've tried following the directions here:

Thanks for the link! Installing the new IOATAFamily.kext does work!!!

1) you have to download the following file (from that thread's OP) IOATAFamily.kext

2) Open your /Extra/Extensions folder and remove AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I just moved it up a directory to the /Extra folder.

3) Drag the new IOATAFamily.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder.

4) Run Kext Utility. (Download it if you don't already have it).

Reboot

however, i can not find AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in my snow leopard partition. i checked in /Extra/Extensions and it d.n.e.

I followed step 3 and 4 and reboot doesnt give me access to the drives within snow leopard.

I can see my other drives when im at the boot screen with chameleon, but once inside snow i cant access it and it doesnt show up in disk util..

in my lepard install all drives are avail

help

Instead of using the E/E folder use the main kext folder under system library extensions (I forget the exact path)

thank you! worked like a charm i found the kext i needed to delete aswell.

the first time i tried your advice it gave me an error about the kext not working and unusable? but strangely i tried it again and it worked?

thank youuuuuuu <3

now if only i can get my EMU 0404 USB to work... but i think that goes in a different forum

once again THANK YOU NOTDAVE!

I'm also looking for any help on the SLEEP issue. Computer sleeps, but does not wake. Has anybody gotten this to work, or is it not solved yet?

I tried DSDT patching (after USB fix the mobo slept, meaning fans, hdd, etc.) but no wake from sleep.

I am thinking to change the motherboard, as this issue has no fix apparently.

Regards.