Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530

eclypse

154 posts in this topic

I can comfirm that 0 and 1 work for SATA, but the other two don't. Netkas released the kext on his blog and said the only the first ones will work.

I have my EFI String working in Leopard. matt, thanks for the guide by the way. I have someone to reccomend it to!

(The reason why I took so long to respond is because I didn't realize there was another page, lol)

Ok, so after 4 days of unsuccessful installation. I'm here to report that I have temporarily given up because I cannot live without RAID 0 (The Lost Brain BIOS Hack). Here is my sort-ofworking status. Credit goes to mattisz for a great installation guide. You must set IDE in bios for the installation to work. I have 8800 GTS 640mb so the efi string works perfectly for me with dual monitor and QE (both 10.5.6 and 10.6).

10.5.6 work great. LegacyAppleintelPIIXATA.kext enable AHCI/SATA mode (IDE->SATA Bios setting). The only bootloader that I find to work in SATA mode is EFI v9 or Chameleon v1.0.12. Any bootloader will work in IDE mode.

10.6.x take a long time to boot. This is using all/only kext from mattisz Snow Leopard.zip file. Only work with IDE and only recognize first two port.

So 3 things/requests that kept me from considering the installation to be perfect:

1) Fix 10.6 slow boot by adding or replacing bad/missing kext?

2) Chameleon to boot into our ICH9R SATA. Currently

Issue: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=688.0

One Hack for ICH10R: http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/05/ich10r-in-...leopard-part-2/

3) dsdt.aml hack to allow the card to be recognize as SATA. Or change device ID to be ICH10R as describe in this hack here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014&st=60)

Ok, so I have SL Running flawlessly, after a totally KP free installation process and i am left with only one problem. FLASH VIDEOS FREEZE on hulu or youtube.

big problem all around the community, I hope i will find a solution soon.

anyway, check my signature, good luck to all you I530 users and please try and help find a cure for this flash video problem.

Ok, all i had to do was repair my permissions and the HDAenabler and intelHSA were repaired, which in turn fixed my video problem.

snow leopard all the way, baby!!!

Actually, the log show this message. Interfacenamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

I'm guessing it's the ICHx kext issue again. I thought it was the network kext and try to remove that but it still did not solve the slow boot. I also try removing a bunch of other kext but gave up after a while because the slow booting was too painful (60+ seconds each time).

Anyway, I will try to get ISO v3.5 since I believe it has the working ICHx kext. macallie, are you experiencing slow boot? Also, are you booting into 64bit or 32bit? I want to know if the Legacy ICHx kext in v3.5 is working for 64 bit.

Actually, the log show this message. Interfacenamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

I'm guessing it's the ICHx kext issue again. I thought it was the network kext and try to remove that but it still did not solve the slow boot. I also try removing a bunch of other kext but gave up after a while because the slow booting was too painful (60+ seconds each time).

Anyway, I will try to get ISO v3.5 since I believe it has the working ICHx kext. macallie, are you experiencing slow boot? Also, are you booting into 64bit or 32bit? I want to know if the Legacy ICHx kext in v3.5 is working for 64 bit.

noogen, i am glad you asked me those questions

i am surprised that SL takes at least 5 times longer to boot than 10.5.8

i do not know how to see the kernal bitrate i am running at, i have seen this topic of conversation quite a bit and don't understand it.

efi, kernal, 32 or 64, i have no idea at all.

i am sure i can research it

I've been stupid and gotten myself into a situation where my i530 is no longer booting into leo (dumb mistake when trying to upgrade 10.5.6 to .8) and i cannot find my old leo distro DVD. My i530 is also my only DVD burner, so without installing windows on it, I can't burn myself another DVD.

I do, however, have a retail SL disc and a windows laptop with a CD-R with which to try kdetech's SL boot132 disc. has anyone else tried it? without touching my BIOS from my old leo setup, i get a KP as soon as i put in the SL disc. enabling RAID/ACHI gets me to a point where the installer hangs on the initial load. I'm going to try the DSDT.aml posted on the first page of this thread, but i also have a feeling i'll need the EFI string from my 8600 GT before this will work. would anyone be able to post the EFI string on here for me? TIA!

man, you gotta get a 16 gb thumb drive or partition one of you external HDDs and install your I530 boot OS on it to rescue you.

its about 35 bucks to get a 16 gb without shopping online.

goodluck buddy

Hey guys

Trying to install SL on a 530 here, but keep stumbling into a fault on weeze's guide - namely the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:start-waitForService (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)) timed out error. I've tried pretty much everything, so has anyone got a solution? 2600XT user.

Hey guys

Trying to install SL on a 530 here, but keep stumbling into a fault on weeze's guide - namely the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:start-waitForService (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)) timed out error. I've tried pretty much everything, so has anyone got a solution? 2600XT user.

I have gotten that error after importing my Leopard time machine backup into a working Snow install -- THREE TIMES. Everytime I could not get past this one and decided to re-install. Finally I copied files manually instead of using OSX Migration assistant.

During my searches, I learned that this message is not the error because it shows up even on regular boot (and I can confirm that). The error is happening somewhere else but I don't know where.

I'm getting that error while booting from the install USBHDD, I can't even get to a GUI.

I hope you have tried the usual safe mode and single user mode boot options. I have no other ideas for you except try and re-install with a different method/HDD. It should work because it has worked for so many.

Tried -x -v -s, I get to single-user but just stumble on the same error. This is the only HDD big enough to support this, so do you think I should try boot-132-Mars (and if so, with which files)?

Thanks for the help BTW

I get that error on boot up of my system, however waiting get's by. Perhaps if we use an alternative ACPI kext in /E/E we would have sucess. We could always use the one from Leopard, but the Sata drivers provided are 64bit only. I will upload both Leopard kexts later. Until then, does anyone have a universal (32bit/64bit) SATA kext?

I followed weeze's guide and added in Mattisz's kexts, and I updated Chameleon and I got 99% of everything working (thanks guys!!) on a USB drive.

The only thing that's not working is my DVD drive, a HP 1270i, which worked in Leopard. I'm thinking that I can only see 1 SATA drive and that's why it won't recognize my DVD drive. In System Profiler the only device listed under Serial-ATA is my Windows Drive, but I only have one HD installed in the system itself (I have lots of external storage, and my massive gfx card blocks one of the internal hard drive slots).

How can I tell if the problem is the SATA problem or SL not recognizing the DVD drive?

I installed the Netkas kext but that didn't make any difference. Any other ideas?

Well, of course it made no difference. Netkas provided the kext that virtually everyone here is using. That kext comes with limitations on the second SATA controller, which is where your optical drive normally resides. This means that most people on SL are having to do without a working DVD drive for the moment. Netkas actually said so in that link I posted.

Fixing this is not a trivial matter because it appears that Apple has made some changes to the kernel in SL. As stated, some people have got away with using the vanilla Snow Leopard or Leopard kexts without kernel panics. If it works for you, fine. If not, then you will have to wait for a fix.

I followed mattiz's guide, and many others, but none worked. With mattiz's guide, I seem to be able to boot into SL, as I can hear the welcome messages, but its stuck at verbose mode.

Im using ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, I know it has some issues, but does it mean I cant even boot into SL?

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. My 530 now has sound, native ethernet (wow), dual DVI video, basically everything working...except (as many others) SATA for 2 of my hard drives. That and I get this message on boot where it hangs for a bit, then starts the GUI:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out

I have had no issue getting SL installed and running with the sole exception of only being able to see the Snow Leopard boot drive and no other HDDs. Anybody have any idea what to do?

You should be able to see the drives on SATA ports 0 & 1, but not those on 4 or 5, which are on the secondary SATA controller that the hacked AppleIntelPIIXATA kext does not recognise as of now. If you have a HDD on 4 or 5 move it down to either the spare 0 or 1 port. My Dell came configured with the DVD writer on port 1. I moved that to 5 and the other hard drive to 1 after which I got both HDDs showing up in Snow Leopard.

Hey guys! I'm back, after a stressful week. I may have figured out a fix for the boot up error, namely:

That and I get this message on boot where it hangs for a bit, then starts the GUI:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out

I may be totally wrong, but according to many online articles, using a patched DSDT (which we are all using) means that you can use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and fakeSMC looks for it, but the NullCPUPowerManagement makes it return nothing, in theory fakeSMC getting no response, and BINGO! time out. I have a revised Extra folder, working better than ever again, and see if remonving the NullCPUPowerManagement does the trick. I'm going to test it right now.

[uPDATE] Nope, no such luck. Removing NullCPUPowerManagement results in a kernel panic. Perhaps we need a special DSDT. I heard of a new HPET that should work for "all". Tomorrow I'm going to try using that HPET option in the DSDT patcher I have.

[uPDATE] the newHPET option worked, and returned no error, speeding up boot up time as expected. I will post tomorrow.

Got it to boot Snow Leopard in 32 and 64-bit, but I have random kernel panics. I could never get the Intel SATA Kext's that you posted above to work with the installer (it was in RAID mode too). Ended up installing from Snow Leopard, and then using the automator from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823 to install to the Snow Leopard partition, and copied the DSDT over and now it boots fine.

Still don't know why I get the random kernel panics. Hopefully somebody has some insight.

The above kext works but the one thing that needs to be emphasized/clarified is that it has to be placed in Extras/Extensions folder. You have to create a sub-folder under Extras and place the Sata kext in there and thereafter i was able to see my drives. You have to keep the disk set at IDE in the BIOS.

Has anyone succesfully installed on a Dell Inspiron 530 using retail DVD method?

I followed the guide posted here:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

However, during the install of Snow Leopard, Disk Utility is unable to see any of my SATA drives even though the bootloader recognized them. I've switched BIOS from IDE to RAID, and neither option resolve this.

Do I need a kext? If so, which one? And where do I install it, onto the Install image inside S/L/E or in the Extra folder?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try reading the instructions at the following link http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530

You can perform a clean install from the USB method as mentioned in one of the posts and then follow the above link from item 10 onwards. Now there is some mention of how people cannot see the internal disks once they get to the install screen - that can be fixed by installing the sata kext in the /extras/extensions directory of the USB drive ( for people using the USB boot/install method ). Please let me know if you need more specific clarification. You have to keep the bios setting at IDE and NOT RAID.