how can I use firewire in Snow leopard?

Sang-Jun

37 posts in this topic

I would love to know how you got onboard firewire to work at all on this mobo - I have the same.

Ive tried removing hpket and still get the warning in system properties regarding it.

Im using the DD setup method for SL with PC EFI 10 boot.

HELP!

Hi

I am using DD's install patcher but I installed Snow from a USB Stick not from another OSX partition.

I am using this installer method: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-insta...ck-drive-t3705/

I am using PC EFI 10.2 as Bootloader.

These are Kext's I am using: Sleepenabler.kext, Platformuuid.kext, Openhaltrestart.kext, NullCPUPowermanageement.kext, IOAHCIBlockstorage.kext, fakesmc.kext and a Disabler.kext for the mouse lag with Nvidia cards.......

You don't have to remove hpet.kext for get firewire to work at all.......

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.....

@masterlen:

although I did an install from my former OSX partition, I can see the result now is the same as yours (PC-EFI 10.2, same Kexts and hpet.kext untouched) -you even seem to have similiar memory and the same gfx-card :) - The EX58-UD3R seems to be pretty much the same board, except for the onboard sound, which I don't use.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you have the -x32 flag set, or did it even work without it? I have no chance getting firewire and USB to run on my board without forcing OSX into 32-bit mode.

As far as I understood real macs also boot in 32bit mode by default as long as they don't have a 64bit efi, so maybe I don't need to worry?

@masterlen:

although I did an install from my former OSX partition, I can see the result now is the same as yours (PC-EFI 10.2, same Kexts and hpet.kext untouched) -you even seem to have similiar memory and the same gfx-card :rolleyes: - The EX58-UD3R seems to be pretty much the same board, except for the onboard sound, which I don't use.

Anyway, I'd like to know if you have the -x32 flag set, or did it even work without it? I have no chance getting firewire and USB to run on my board without forcing OSX into 32-bit mode.

As far as I understood real macs also boot in 32bit mode by default as long as they don't have a 64bit efi, so maybe I don't need to worry?

I don't use the -x32 flag....

The System runs in 64Bit without any issues.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also removed the AppleHpet and my FW ports work now. Apparently fne but:

I have an external FW HD that gets corrupted from time to time.Mainly it gets unmounted during file copy operations.

I repair it with Disk Utility and then it works fine.

Did anybody experienced something similar?

I also removed the AppleHpet and my FW ports work now. Apparently fne but:

I have an external FW HD that gets corrupted from time to time.Mainly it gets unmounted during file copy operations.

I repair it with Disk Utility and then it works fine.

Did anybody experienced something similar?

The reason could be that your firewire doesn't work properly!

Search in the logs for this error:"FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)" in your logs.....

Please see my post fro fire firewire issues!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191029

Hi. Having same issuewith fw on p5q and tc konnekt. First i had the red error message in systemprofile, then i installed the updated drivers from tc and now when i turn the audio card on, it's listed in sytem profiler but not detected by the prefs pannels.

Not working for me even removing appleHPET.kext.

Installed from Golden Master "distro" on an ASUS P5Q, nv9400gt working, audio voodoohda working,ethernet working, ram detected as 800 instead 1066.

Any chances?

[edit] i have this in my system log after installing the driver package and turning on the card; suggestions are very appreciated.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/TCNear.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/TCNear.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Load tc.tctechnologies.driver.TCNear failed; removing personalities.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/TCNear.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/TCNear.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Oct 18 02:53:24 iois-Mac-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Load tc.tctechnologies.driver.TCNear failed; removing personalities.

I thought TC has updated the konnektseries driver forSL.???

nothing about firewire in my systemlog.

Dont know where is my problem

• 1 month later...
I thought TC has updated the konnektseries driver forSL.???

nothing about firewire in my systemlog.

Dont know where is my problem

i know that tc till today has no 64bit drivers. do you start in 64bit-mode? try the 32bit kompatibility-mode.

i bet the tc-connect works then.

greets

gnatze

i know that tc till today has no 64bit drivers. do you start in 64bit-mode? try the 32bit kompatibility-mode.

i bet the tc-connect works then.

greets

gnatze

Its done. Thank you ba-ton, i tried wrongly with -x32 flag and it didnt work at all because this flag (-x32) works on PC-EFI 10.x bootloaders. I am using chameleon 2 rc3 and i had to set arch=i386 kernel flag on the boot file and now everything works flawlessly. So if you use PC EFI 10.x then use the -x32 or -x64 kernel flags, if youre using chameleon 2 rc3 then use arch=i386 or arch=x86_64. It seems too that even running 32 bit kernel we can use 64bit apps. The kernel flag that turns this off only letting you execute 32 bit code is -legacy, which is not recommended in this case.

Golden Master distro is very recommendable, updated to 10.6.2 with minor issues and now firewire (which i suposse now always was running) and my TC Konnekt audio card works too perfectly right now.

Thanks for the clue again Ba- ton. After reading your reply i surf tc's support forum for more info and exactly this was the info ive found:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=4664

It seems that the daw software and other audio hardware drivers still run at 32 bit from factory design. They havent changed the code yet but seems they are working on.

Now, after a disgusting MBP hardware fatal death, i feel again quite happy with my solid SL Hackintosh.

Thanks to the community. Keep on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the exact same problem here. My firewire is not recognised. I'm using a Asus P5-B Deluxe with a onboard PCI-E Firewire port. I removed the applehpet.kext and the firewire works fine now along with me plugged in Saffire Audio Interface but my Ethernet is no longer working! Its a Marvell PCI-E onboard ethernet controller. System Profiler detects it but it does not detect a cable plugged in :)

Anyone have similar issue or know of a possible fix?