how can I use firewire in Snow leopard?

Sang-Jun

37 posts in this topic

If we only knew what your machine was...............(sigh)

My new electronic toaster also doesn't recognise that it has FireWires in! :rolleyes:

SticMAC

I just see "No FireWire ports were found."

how can I use it?

I used it at leopard 10.5.8

help me.

If we only knew what your machine was...............(sigh)

My new electronic toaster also doesn't recognise that it has FireWires in! :)

SticMAC

------------------------

^^

thank you~

my PC is

Q9550

EP45-UD3L

G.Skill 8G Ram

9600GT

firewire Card(PCI Card) : Taxas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Audio Card : ESI QuataFire

Sound Card : Behringer USB-

------------------------

Have you run DSDT Patcher GUI on it?

I found that my PCI Wireless card does not get recognised until I run the patcher and it somehow activates the PCI Slots!

Also My Dell GX280 has an option to enable/disable PCI Slots in the BIOS, maybe you should look at that too!

Then then you can run DPCIManager to see, if your machine actually sees the card and what its DevID is so that you can maybe add that in the kext!?

Goodluck

SticMAC

I also have a problem with firewire on my rig ( ga965p-dq6 )

System profiler tells me " unable to list firewire devices " (translation from french so maybe not the exact same sentence in english, the text is red)

Do you think removing appleHPET can help waneto ?

Thanks

System profiler tells me " unable to list firewire devices " (translation from french so maybe not the exact same sentence in english, the text is red)

Thanks

give a try!!

sometimes appleHPET.kext share a irq with your other device, and your device do not work.

My computer is seeing the firewire card as it shows up when I look with DPCIManager:

104c:8024 Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

is there anyway to patch the dsdt.aml file to get this thing going?

Update: I tried what SticMac suggested and ran the DSDTPatcher but it didn't seem to make a difference after multiple tries and reboots. I then removed the firewire card and put it in a different slot and now it works! Anyone who is still having problems give this low tech method a shot and see if it helps.

cheers

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, and recently did a 10.6 installation. My onboard firewire (worked perfectly in 10.5.8 vanilla) suddenly stopped working. I did a vanilla install of 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.1 now. The weirdest thing however is that my firewire device (soundcard) is actually recognized by the system-profiler, but it's not found by its driver. Same happens to USB devices (soundcards also). In the attachment there is a Screenshot of a recognized firewire device. Does anybody know a solution? Btw - I don't have any other firewire-device, so I can't experiment all too much.

post-417158-1252672028_thumb.png

I have the same problem with my gear, a X48-DS5 with a Q9650:

FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)
  FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; max speed s400.
  ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
  ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
  ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized
  System Profiler[1004]	SPFWR ERROR: FireWire bus may be unstable. Other FireWire devices may be present.

That's about the problems I have during booting. The messages appears, even if there is no FW device connected to the bus. FW works fine in Windows though. The DCPIManager recognizes it as 104c:8024 Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link).

I am booting up with:

/private/tmp/fakesmc.kext - org.netkas.fakesmc (1.0)
  /private/tmp/PlatformUUID.kext - com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID (1.0)
  /private/tmp/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - org.chameleon.plist.IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (1.0)
  /private/tmp/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext - com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA (2.5.1)
  /private/tmp/OpenHaltRestart.kext - com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3)

and I am using the NETKAS 10_2 booter. For what it's worth.

Help ;)

Hi All,

I have the same problem as Tomazzi, In system profiler it states "unable to list firewire devices"

I do not have this problem in Leopard on the same machine.

My Snow Leopard install is vanilla 10.6.1 with DSDT.

I have tried deleteing appleHPET.kext, still the same message and no firewire,

I have tried DSDT patcher GUI, no firewire,

I have tried loading the 32 bit kernel and 64 bit, still the same message in system profiler and no firewire.

I have everything working except this. Any ideas? Is there a Jmicron.kext Leopard equivlent for SL to get this working?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have EX58-UD5 with Core I7 Processor and I am using the build-in firewire port in Snow LEO 10.6.1 .....

I always get this error while booting in Snow: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

I am using an Echo Audiofire 4 connected with the build-in firewire port and Logic 9.....

And now my problem:

I always get some glitches and pops while making music.....

I think this has to do with the error above.

Is there a fix for this?

Or is there a fully working firewire device for our hackintoshes?

Any ideas?

I could not delete appleHPET.kext without running into severe problems either.

I don't understand why Firewire Devices are found and properly listed, but when it comes to driver-communication,

they are not reachable, since it worked all perfectly in 10.5.8... I already tried using kexts of 10.5.8 for snow,

but that was no good idea -> Kernel panic mania!

Maybe we need modified firewire and usb kexts, or justput in a firewire PCIe card which is supported? But what

about USB?

Is there a way to modify the DSDT in a way that could help, regarding communication with onboard firewire and

USB?

Do you guys use modded DSDT? As far as I know, it's the only way to fix CMOS resetting, so I guess there

is no workaround.

Hi guys,

I unistalled appleHPET and now I can see the Firewire ports. Before this, the system coud no find any port.

Tested on this system: Asrock 4cores1600-Q6600-2G-retail 10.6/hameleon RC3.

I didn't experience any kernel panics yet, but I'd like to test the machine for this posibility. Could anybody tell me what operations are making your machines to panic, so I can try it here?

Thanks.

R.

I have EX58-UD5 with Core I7 Processor and I am using the build-in firewire port in Snow LEO 10.6.1 .....

I always get this error while booting in Snow: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

I am using an Echo Audiofire 4 connected with the build-in firewire port and Logic 9.....

And now my problem:

I always get some glitches and pops while making music.....

I think this has to do with the error above.

Is there a fix for this?

Or is there a fully working firewire device for our hackintoshes?

Any ideas?

I would love to know how you got onboard firewire to work at all on this mobo - I have the same.

Ive tried removing hpket and still get the warning in system properties regarding it.

Im using the DD setup method for SL with PC EFI 10 boot.

HELP!

Ok, this seems to be a bootloader-Problem, at least for me!

I was using Chameleon RC3, and it turned out that my firewire and USB devices only work properly using PC-EFI 10.2! But doing so causes my system to panic after about half a minute, so I can't use PC-EFI either...

Let's hope there's a fix soon :(.

UPDATE: I now got it working... I put the bootloader on the wrong partiton by accident and so it was using the wrong /Extra directory.

Now it works - not just fw, but also USB! But it only runs using PC-EFI 10.2 AND with the -x32 kernel flag set!

Chameleon RC3 did NOT work with/without the Kernel flag...

(I am pretty sure my next machine will be a REAL MacPro...)

@ zomby:

I don't have the same mobo, but a GA-EX58-UD3R - I suppose they're quite the same regarding onboard firewire.

I can't tell you how I got USB and firewire working on 10.5.8, since I think it was a combination of random kexts that made it work - I did still have issues with USB devices, though.

But if you managed to install 10.6 vanilla, you should make sure to install PC-EFI 10.2 as bootloader AND enable the -x32 flag, that is how it worked for me. No luck with chameleon 2.0 RC3 - although the devices had been showing up in my system profiler! As an owner of an X58 Mobo you could always use digital dreamers X58 mobo patch installer, which is great! (EDIT: I saw you did)

But be careful and make sure to backup your important stuff - I can tell you that this was a quite messy journey, and I don't exactly know if it ever worked again if I had to do it from scratch. There's too many things I still don't get. As soon as I sort it out I could give some more information.

Good luck!