[Success] Snow Leopard on Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

Burpethead

42 posts in this topic

Updated September 26, 2009

Hello All,

I would like to report a successful Vanilla Snow Leopard Retail install on the GA-EP35-DS3L with F6 BIOS using the "Totally Vanilla" method by MACinized.

Don't worry, its actually a lot easier than it looks. NVIDIA 8800GT 512 dual monitor graphics & ALC888 sound working from DSDT 100%, although sound is not reported in System Profiler. All sound jacks are recognized in the Sound System Preference. I had to use AHCI Kext's for the drives to be recognized as internal. Also had to use the PlatformUUID.kext with the edited custom UUID to remove the UUID 35 error.

To install I personally ended up having to do an image of my 10,000 RPM bootdrive, and then restore that image to another hard drive. I then booted off the other hard drive and continued performing the MACinized method on my original 10,000 RPM boot drive to install Snow Leopard.

Everything working in 32-bit mode, which was set by default in the MACinized method.

64-bit requires two extra kext extensions - fakesmc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Kext's I used post-installation were:

1. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  2. LegacyAppleAHCIPort
  3. LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage
  4. PlatformUUID.kext

You can download a copy of my DSDT here.

Kext's I used post MACinized method are here.

Extra kexts to boot in 64-bit mode are here

*You need to use the PC EFI 10.1 or 10.3 bootloader to boot in 64-bit mode.

Cheers! :rolleyes:

I'll give this a try...............

Ok... no sound in system profiler... but u mentioned that.... But also No sound in system prefrences except my USB audio card.

Using your kexts System profiler recognizes my SATA ports as ICH9.. u mentioned "unknown"

I have the same exact board and on the same bios.

Did u use any HDA enabler or patch your applehda in any way?

Mind sharing your applehda kext....????

I have the same board. I followed the MACinized method but cannot even reach the language selection part. The KP is related to AppleAHCIPort. I've tried adding both AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext without luck. I've also tried putting the LegacyAppleAHCIPort but that gave the same result. I don't know where I've done wrong. Please help! Thanks!

post-397397-1252211203_thumb.jpg

I'll give this a try...............

Ok... no sound in system profiler... but u mentioned that.... But also No sound in system prefrences except my USB audio card.

Using your kexts System profiler recognizes my SATA ports as ICH9.. u mentioned "unknown"

I have the same exact board and on the same bios.

Did u use any HDA enabler or patch your applehda in any way?

Mind sharing your applehda kext....????

I looked again at my System Profiler, and it SATA actually is recognized as ICH9.

Interesting about no sound. Do you have Revision 1.0 of this board? I am not using any HDA kext's - fully native audio here.

Hi thanks for reporting this, what graphic card have you got?

MSI NVIDIA 8800GT OC

I have the same board. I followed the MACinized method but cannot even reach the language selection part. The KP is related to AppleAHCIPort. I've tried adding both AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext without luck. I've also tried putting the LegacyAppleAHCIPort but that gave the same result. I don't know where I've done wrong. Please help! Thanks!

It looks like an NTFS volume is causing the Panic. Do you have any third party NTFS readers installed? Also try removing the Windows drive to see if it boots. I have a Windows drive in mine and it is booting fine, however.

Same board here ... I have it running in 64 bit mode w/ ICH9 recognized. These are the kexts Im using on a Chameleon RC3 usb boot stick w/ patched dsdt:

ACHIPortInjector

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlataformUUID

I am not using onboard sound or Lan to avoid those headaches.

• 2 weeks later...
Same board here ... I have it running in 64 bit mode w/ ICH9 recognized. These are the kexts Im using on a Chameleon RC3 usb boot stick w/ patched dsdt:

ACHIPortInjector

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlataformUUID

I am not using onboard sound or Lan to avoid those headaches.

Same problem with Audio. No audio and video is not right. 8600GT is my graphic card. I did not patch my firmware for my motherboard yet to F6 . could that be the case??

I might have some good news for you guys. I've got a GA-EP35-DS3L with a factory-installed F4 BIOS, and I have sound working. I used this post and added the code to my modified DSDT. I also installed the kexts in that post to System/Library/Extensions (injecting them with Chameleon won't work), repaired extensions and cleaned out the cache and got sound working instantly.

I'm using an MSI 8600GT Twin Turbo and onboard ALC888 sound. I've attached my DSDT (compiled and uncompiled) for reference. It may work for you or it may not.

You can see my success post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187372

:)

DSDT_EP35_DS3L_F4_soren121.zip

I might have some good news for you guys. I've got a GA-EP35-DS3L with a factory-installed F4 BIOS, and I have sound working. I used this post and added the code to my modified DSDT. I also installed the kexts in that post to System/Library/Extensions (injecting them with Chameleon won't work), repaired extensions and cleaned out the cache and got sound working instantly.

I'm using an MSI 8600GT Twin Turbo and onboard ALC888 sound. I've attached my DSDT (compiled and uncompiled) for reference. It may work for you or it may not.

You can see my success post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187372

:)

Does this have your 8600gt coded into the dsdt???????

I have everything working (Onboard sound, onboard lan, sleep) using DSDT (patched with Koalala's ACPI patcher for windows, though it can be done with this), and using these kext's:

• LegacyHDA.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext
  • fakesmc.kext (v2)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

I'm fairly sure the last two aren't needed anymore because of the fixes in the DSDT, for sure the last one isn't, but I'm lazy and haven't removed them yet.

A good guide on DSDT can be found here, and a good guide to install SL can be found here.

The only thing that I can't figure out how to get working is Wake on Lan.

Sharing my dsdt won't do much good unless you know how to edit it, since my GTX 260 is in the DSDT. But if you knew how to do that, you wouldn't need my DSDT anyway, but I can answer questions for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I would like to report a successful Vanilla Snow Leopard Retail install on the GA-EP35-DS3L with F6 BIOS using the "Totally Vanilla" method by MACinized.

Don't worry, its actually a lot easier than it looks. NVIDIA 8800GT 512 dual monitor graphics & ALC888 sound working from DSDT 100%, although sound is not reported in System Profiler. All sound jacks are recognized in the Sound System Preference. I had to use AHCI Kext's for the drives to be recognized as internal. Also had to use the PlatformUUID.kext with the edited custom UUID to remove the UUID 35 error.

To install I personally ended up having to do an image of my 10,000 RPM bootdrive, and then restore that image to another hard drive. I then booted off the other hard drive and continued performing the MACinized method on my original 10,000 RPM boot drive to install Snow Leopard.

Everything working in 32-bit mode, which was set by default in the MACinized method.

64-bit requires two extra kext extensions - fakesmc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

2. LegacyAppleAHCIPort
  4. PlatformUUID.kext

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Where did you download the fakesmc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? I'm getting ready to give this a try before my EFI-X dies on me again.

Hello All,

2. LegacyAppleAHCIPort
  4. PlatformUUID.kext

Cheers! :(

Can you post an exact from start to finish as to how you accomplished this? The guide you linked "Totally Vanilla" is good, but it's missing some steps. Why use PC EFI vs Chameleon? And how do you replace Chameleon with PC EFI?

I currently have a working install, Q6600, EP35-DS3L, 4GB 800 MHz DDR2, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB (G92), 650w Antec PSU, I didn't use PcEFI, I used chameleon 2 RC3, and all is well, except for one issue, my mouse seems to move around the screen as if there were frame skipping, which i have noticed during video playback. I may be using the 64 bit kexts under a 32 bit kernel.. would that cause something like this?I never had this problem in 10.5.8

Anyone else with this issue?

• 4 weeks later...

I am running on an EP35-DS3L with BIOS F5 on 10.6.1. I extracted the DSDT and made the USB fixes suggested by zhell, so the onboard USB masquerades as ICH10. This has allowed my computer to sleep, and wakes up by a keyboard keypress. I have not put my ethernet or graphics card info into DSDT (mine are detected on booting) or made other fixes. I installed SL following the Lifehacker guide, and replaced his dsdt in the Extra folder with this one. So far so good.

One issue I see is my PCI card Firewire devices are disconnected after waking from sleep. Not sure how to fix this.

If I make significant DSDT improvements I will try to post updates. I have included both the .dsl and .aml files.

EP35_DS3L_DSDT.zip

An addendum: I got HDA working after adding the HDEF to the DSDT, plus using an ALC888 version of LegacyHDA.kext from this posting

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D,
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0C)
					{
						"codec-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						},

"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						},

"device-type",
						Buffer (0x07)
						{
							"ALC888"
						},

"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */	0x50, 0x41, 0x01, 0x01, 0x50, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02,
							/* 0008 */	0x30, 0x01, 0x10, 0x90, 0x20, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01,
							/* 0010 */	0x70, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02,
							/* 0018 */	0x10, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x40, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01,
							/* 0020 */	0x60, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xF0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						},

"reg",
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */	0x00, 0xD8, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
							/* 0008 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
							/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10, 0xD8, 0x00, 0x02,
							/* 0018 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
							/* 0020 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40, 0x00, 0x00
						},

"platformFamily",
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

I have updated to 10.6.2 and all seems to work OK so far. I downloaded the 10.6.2 updater (not Combo) and used that. I followed Netkas' suggestions for updating and it just worked. Make sure to get the updated 10.6.2 version of "SleepEnabler.kext", as I could not wake from sleep without it. I have also removed "OpenHaltRestart.kext" from my "Extra" folder and replaced it with EvOreboot.kext without issues.

Has anyone worked on C states on the EP35-DS3L? I have read a bit of the long Gigabyte DSDT and vanilla speedstep threads but my eyes glaze over and the tools are trickier to use.

Can you summarize what is working (and what is not working) on your 10.6.2 installation ? Which guide did you follow ?

I followed the LifeHacker revised guide and used his installer (made for a P45 mobo) with SL on an 8GB USB stick. To do this, you need to set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick while installing, but this follows the description provided. This worked pretty well, with the graphics card and onboard ethernet detected by Chameleon (Cham 2 RC3) in the com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>

One change to make is to put in a dsdt.aml file that is made for the EP35-DS3L- I am using the one described above put in the Extra folder. I also enabled HDEF audio as described above by adding that section to the DSDT and putting in the proper LegacyHDA.kext for the ALC888 audio. I updated to 10.6.1 using software update.

Moving to 10.6.2 was pretty straightforward, following the Netkas' instructions. In my "Extra" folder I have:

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

smbios.plist

Extensions:

->AHCIPortInjector.kext

->EvOreboot.kext

->fakesmc.kext

->LegacyHDA.kext

->NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

->PlatformUUID.kext

->SleepEnabler.kext

So far I am not aware of anything not working. I have not used TimeMachine yet as I only have 1 drive and it holds the backup of my current "working" system (10.5.7) so I don't want to erase that just yet. I use Firewire from a PCI card and it seems to work a bit better on SL than 10.5.7 (occasional need to re-plug devices). As I said earlier, sleep works perfectly as far as I can tell- the system goes to a proper sleep, including fans and wakes up from the keyboard. I am running dual DVI monitors and they work nicely (8800GS graphics card). I have booted into 64-bit mode just fine but not tested that very extensively (my 2-year old iMac with a Core 2 Duo will not boot 64-bit mode!)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your guidance agrajag!

I followed your posts and now have 10.6 on my system. The only thing that isn't working is sound. I'm not getting anything listed in Output in the sound preferences pane.

I noticed that you have since modified your uploaded DSDT file to enable HDEF audio. Could you upload this file too? (I am currently using your old DSDT file, so that may be the cause of no audio?)

Thanks again!

I have updated a bit since the previous post. I have an improved dsdt that has vanilla speedstepping working on my E8400cpu (attached below)- my GeekBench scores are about equal to what they were in Leopard. The system seems very stable- even the very irregular KP I had in 10.5.6 is gone. In my current Extra folder I have:

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

smbios.plist

Extensions:

->EvOreboot.kext

->fakesmc.kext

->LegacyHDA.kext

->PlatformUUID.kext

->SleepEnabler.kext

(removed AHCIPortInjector.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext).

EP35_DS3L_DSDT.zip

I have updated a bit since the previous post. I have an improved dsdt that has vanilla speedstepping working on my E8400cpu (attached below)- my GeekBench scores are about equal to what they were in Leopard. The system seems very stable- even the very irregular KP I had in 10.5.6 is gone. In my current Extra folder I have:

com.apple.Boot.plist

dsdt.aml

smbios.plist

Extensions:

->EvOreboot.kext

->fakesmc.kext

->LegacyHDA.kext

->PlatformUUID.kext

->SleepEnabler.kext

(removed AHCIPortInjector.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext).

EP35_DS3L_DSDT.zip

do you have the CMOS reset fix in the DSDT.aml file?

thanks.

where do i get the following from?

smbios.plist

Extensions:

->EvOreboot.kext

->fakesmc.kext

->LegacyHDA.kext

->PlatformUUID.kext

->SleepEnabler.kext

This thread is dead ?

It is i suppose.

I think most of the discussions are for the EP45 board.

I managed to get SL 10.6.2 working but sleep isn't working basically the system will go to sleep but fans are running. I tried implementing the C states but upon boot and few minutes into using SL the system locks up. So i assume the C & P states are different for different chipset.

Regards.