Snow Leopard Server on an socket 939 AMD machine?

dsc106

6 posts in this topic

I have an older machine, circa-2005 era, that I'd like to put Snow Leopard server on to make the system a file server (homemade NAS, basically). I was wondering if Snow Leopard server would run on an AMD machine, specifically, a socket 939 Athlon 3500+ on an older, 2005 Gigabyte motherboard and 2gb DDR RAM. It has a 7300gs Nvidia card.

Is this possible/slash is there a release or support for this either currently or upcoming?

I have an older machine, circa-2005 era, that I'd like to put Snow Leopard server on to make the system a file server (homemade NAS, basically). I was wondering if Snow Leopard server would run on an AMD machine, specifically, a socket 939 Athlon 3500+ on an older, 2005 Gigabyte motherboard and 2gb DDR RAM. It has a 7300gs Nvidia card.

Is this possible/slash is there a release or support for this either currently or upcoming?

It should be possible, and with a little tinkering is probably possible now. There is some information about 10.6 on AMD already out, but I wouldn't quite call it stable or consider it at this point, especially since 10.5 has such good AMD support.

Based on your needs, I wouldn't even look at SL Server as it is complete overkill. You can make a wonderful NAS simply with the client version of OS X or even an exceptional NAS with FreeNAS.

I would say that within the next 6 weeks or so you should see better 10.6 AMD installs. Right now the community is waiting for XNU sources.

Hey,

server version? hm i have no clue if there is a different in installing snow leopard or snow leopard server Oo. exspecially for a file server, is this really needed to install a server version?

anyway; socket 939 asus a8n-sli works with some older kext from leopard(10.5.2 - 10.5.6) with snow leopard. the question is: what chipset have your gigabyte board?

have a look at this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181876

worked for my socket 939 amd x2 4400+ nforce4 chipset - have 3 small bugs, but these are only in soundcontrol, warcraft3 and itunes account management(32bit). normal web surfing, itunes music, video watching, is stable since ±70hours

cheers

Hey thanks for the help. I'll have to check the board specs later when I can, stuff is stashed away somewhere.

Sounds like I would be just fine using Leopard Server as a file server then, with a lot more pre existing support huh? Maybe I'll do that...

Yes I've tried running it as a NAS a couple different ways. With an old XP license, but while that works well when the server is up for some reason it always goes down or reboots for no reason... very odd. I used Ubuntu and that worked pretty well but for some reason also seemed to go down every 5-8 days or so, for no apparent reason. A reboot fixed it. Really annoying though. Using ubuntu I used a plug in, web-something, but I suck at networking and it was a PIA. I'm pretty familiar with get OS X to boot on different stuff and would rather get that up and running and have Apple's ease of use for the file sharing... and hopefully avoid all the obnoxious reboots and the NAS going down.

Hey,

iam sorry was busy during last week.

if i were you , you should wait some days(couple of weeks) for a stable kernel with cpuid patch on the fly(i guess it is called somewhat like this)

but if you have no problem with some trying and testing, go ahead.

in other words; is this your main computer or just a testing pc?

for a test pc, give it a try and see what works and what not. take the guide posted above and you should get some success.

cheers