GTX 260 on Snow Leopard

gotchykid

81 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've been searching around this forum for information about GTX 260 support on snow but can't find anything. I know that netkas has already got it to work on Leopard.

Basically I have 2 questions:

Does Snow Leopard support the GTX 260 with full QE/CI?

Does GTX 260 support OpenCL in Snow Leopard?

I'm currently using the 6600GT which doesn't seem to support OpenCL and I'm thinking of upgrading to the GTX 260. Any help is appreciated :)

Mine works with an EFI string added to Apple.boot.plist

How do you confirm that QE/CI works? In leo it shows it in system profile in SL it doesn't

a good test is flurry screen saver. if its smooth than your good. My monitor suddenly went static-ish any one else with this prob?

nVidia GeForce GTX260:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce GTX260

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05e2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce GTX260 OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Works :)

Yes it does :D

.................. OpenCL Bench V 0.25 by mitch ...........

...... C2D 3GHz = 12 sec vs Nvidia 9600GT = 0,93 sec ......

... time results are not comparable to older version! .....

Number of OpenCL devices found: 2

OpenCL Device # 0 = GeForce GTX 260

Device 0 is an: GPU with max. 1296 MHz and 192 units/cores

Now computing - please be patient....

time used: 0.346 seconds

OpenCL Device # 1 = Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

Device 1 is an: CPU with max. 2800 MHz and 2 units/cores

time used: 13.272 seconds

Now checking if results are valid - please be patient....

:unsure: Validate test passed - GPU results=CPU results ;)

JoeBlack2k cool! that's awesome! looks like i'm gonna get my GTX260 tomorrow :unsure:

Can I ask you something though? How are ya getting the card to work? Using an EFI string? Or using some enabler?

Also does whatever method you are using work in the 64bit kernel?

Thank you so much in advance =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Im picking up a copy of Snow Leopard for my MBP. Can you install it out of the box on a Hackintosh? Does it naturally support the GTX 260 or do you have to install/modify anything? If you do, can you guys point me to some reading? I want to switch my XPS 420 (currently got 10.5.1) to an actual fully functioning workstation. Completely remove any traces of Windows on it. That way I have the same environment at work (MBP) and at home (Desktop). Working on a 24" LCD and a comfortable chair/desk is way better than on a 17" laptop.

Device 0 is an: GPU with max. 1296 MHz and 192 units/cores

time used: 0.346 seconds

Haha... that test required ALOT of patience with the entire 0.346 seconds it took...

Mine works with an EFI string added to Apple.boot.plist

How do you confirm that QE/CI works? In leo it shows it in system profile in SL it doesn't

Which drivers have you installed? Those from the NVIDIA Website linked in the topic of the gt200 channel?

Do I have to open the mpkg manually and install the Display, OpenGL and Video Driver pkgs one after the other? Seems I get some wrong dependencies. I'll try it again...

Which drivers have you installed? Those from the NVIDIA Website linked in the topic of the gt200 channel?

Do I have to open the mpkg manually and install the Display, OpenGL and Video Driver pkgs one after the other? Seems I get some wrong dependencies. I'll try it again...

On my 10.5.1 installation, I downloaded the injection utility from netkas, installed that and then downloaded the drivers from eVGA. You have to extract the Display Driver, OpenGL Driver, and Video Driver pkgs and install them all.

After reboot however, I was getting a black screen with cursor, which was caused by NVDAResman.kext and I think the reason for that being is that you have to edit the plist in it (not sure though, couldnt find any info on this). I just moved it out of the extensions folder for now.

Those work, the only thing is, and I dont know if this is an OS issue, there is no CI and QE support. It looks like everyone here has QE and CI support under Snow Leopard which has me thinking whether or not they're using the same drivers. I know Snow Leopard was supposed to ship with GTX 285 drivers which are essentially the same thing.

In short... I am very, very confused... :)

i got gtx260 working on snow with efi strings

but i cant get full resolution!

i can get up to like 1650xsomthing but not 1920

anytips?

also, the evga drivers require 10.5.7

im like 99% sure they do.

Those are the ones I installed yesterday, and they're working. Apple System Profiler shows GTX 260, 896 Mb and all that good stuff, just no CI and QE.

As far as your resolution problem goes, even after installing the drivers yesterday, I was still only getting 1024x768 in Displays, so I just edited the "com.apple.Boot.plist" found in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Now it looks like this:

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32"</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

You might have to add yourself to the "Sharing & Permission" list in the "Info" window for com.apple.Boot.plist, to do that, just click the lock on the bottom right of the window, type your pass in, and then add yourself with Read and Write permissions.

At least that's one way to do it.

Those are the ones I installed yesterday, and they're working. Apple System Profiler shows GTX 260, 896 Mb and all that good stuff, just no CI and QE.

As far as your resolution problem goes, even after installing the drivers yesterday, I was still only getting 1024x768 in Displays, so I just edited the "com.apple.Boot.plist" found in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Now it looks like this:

You might have to add yourself to the "Sharing & Permission" list in the "Info" window for com.apple.Boot.plist, to do that, just click the lock on the bottom right of the window, type your pass in, and then add yourself with Read and Write permissions.

At least that's one way to do it.

thats weird, i have CI/QE when i used the strings. what program did you use to make the strings?

i tried that but i still didn't get the resolution..

i tried following this tutorial

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

but i guess he didnt proof read it when he made it and i cant like get past the last step

thats weird, i have CI/QE when i used the strings. what program did you use to make the strings?

i tried that but i still didn't get the resolution..

i tried following this tutorial

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

but i guess he didnt proof read it when he made it and i cant like get past the last step

Dang it man! I just did all that (no longer using injector from netkas) except I followed a friggin french guide translated by google.... I feel so stupid... Still no CI/QE support. Have to get Snow Leo.

I just fixed my Resolution problem. Like I said before, I was getting black screen cause of NVDAResman.kext.

What you gotta do man is edit the Info.plist in NVDAResman.kext (again, you might have to edit permissions to be able to write it), using some sort of Text Editor.

Look for:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x05e210de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

0x05e2 is my Device ID, so to get yours, go to Apple System Profiler, and you should see your Device ID there, just replace mine, save (make sure you have write permissions). Reopen the file if you really want to make sure it saved (I know, Im paranoid). Reboot, and you should have all your supported resolutions inside Displays. Good luck.

EDIT: As far as the guide, it looks exactly like what I have. If you do as above, you should get your resolutions man.

Dang it man! I just did all that (no longer using injector from netkas) except I followed a friggin french guide translated by google.... I feel so stupid... Still no CI/QE support. Have to get Snow Leo.

I just fixed my Resolution problem. Like I said before, I was getting black screen cause of NVDAResman.kext.

What you gotta do man is edit the Info.plist in NVDAResman.kext (again, you might have to edit permissions to be able to write it), using some sort of Text Editor.

Look for:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x05e210de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de 0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff 0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

0x05e2 is my Device ID, so to get yours, go to Apple System Profiler, and you should see your Device ID there, just replace mine, save (make sure you have write permissions). Reopen the file if you really want to make sure it saved (I know, Im paranoid). Reboot, and you should have all your supported resolutions inside Displays. Good luck.

EDIT: As far as the guide, it looks exactly like what I have. If you do as above, you should get your resolutions man.

i tried that and for some reason i got CI/QE, but i am still restricted on my resolution

i have the same device ID

could you by any chance send me your kext?

it says 0mb under my system profiler and its usuing EFI. which is weird because i am not usuing any strings

is this the one you used?

lol

http://www.darwinx86.org/guides/installer-...-les-gtx-260280

Yeah that's the guide I used... lol

I just tried updating to 10.5.8 (I read somewhere people got QE/CI working post 10.5.7) and I bricked my damn OS X installation. Once I will get home today Ill edit the file, make sure it works, and send it to you.

Try following this tutorial:

GTX 260 on Snow Leopard

yeah currently my 260 seems to have qe/ci cause everything is smooth. After i tried that tutorial everything went very unsmooth...

i think because my dsdt is setup for graphics. I can't get my own dsdt made some im using someone elses.... my damn bios wont compile...

anyways that guide just shows you how to add strings to your .com file, which is awesome but it doesnt seem to work for me. I edit my .com file that is in my extra folder though. maybe i should edit one in the default location... would love to get that opencl working.

yeah currently my 260 seems to have qe/ci cause everything is smooth. After i tried that tutorial everything went very unsmooth...

i think because my dsdt is setup for graphics. I can't get my own dsdt made some im using someone elses.... my damn bios wont compile...

anyways that guide just shows you how to add strings to your .com file, which is awesome but it doesnt seem to work for me. I edit my .com file that is in my extra folder though. maybe i should edit one in the default location... would love to get that opencl working.

Yeah I feel you man. No CI/QE is why I am killing myself trying to install Snow Leopard. I do graphics and no CI/QE makes it pretty much unusable. I am making my PC 100% Mac (no Windows install), and it's going to be my secondary work platform (MBP is #1 cause that's what I take to work). I kinda want to have the same thing on both machines, so it's sorta seamless for me to switch in between them. I got an Xbox 360 recently and I am restricting my gaming to do that. On top of that, I started using Mac OS X from version 1.0.0 and right now, where Snow Leopard's at, is how I envisioned a perfect operating system back in those days. Simply superb. Cheers man, I will come back to this topic as soon as I got Leopard.