GA-P35-DS3R sleep not working

basshead

19 posts in this topic

I have a fully working 10.5.8 install on my GA-P35-DS3R and have tried Snow Leopard from a retail DVD using the following steps:

1. Use Disk Utility under 10.5.8 to create a single partition on another 500Gb hard drive, using GPT
  2. Install 10.6 by running OSInstall.mpkg from the DVD mounted on the 10.5.8 install
  3. Install Chameleon 2 RC2 r640 on the 10.6 drive ('snow' partition)
  4. Followed the Generic Retail Install Guide to access the hidden EFI partition, add the required boot file, kexts (see below) and change the UUID in AppleUUID.kext and PlatformUUID.kext to match the one from the snow partition
  5. boot the snow partition using -v -x32 flags. Appears working ok with no audio.
  6. Followed the guide by Aschar1 (post 388) to patch the dsdt.aml file and add ALC889a.kext to EFI/Extra/Extensions. rebooted, sound working.
  7. Patched the com.apple.boot.plist for 9800GT graphics and ethernet
  8. Tried sleep. System appears to sleep but waking reboots.
  9. Tried blackosx's method for regenerating extensions.mkext in extra/extensions. Sleep still not working.
  10. Tried Koalala’s ACPI Patcher to Build a DSDT.aml. Added the new dsdt to the EFI/Extra, removed patched com.apple.boot.plist(9800GT/ethernet) and replaced with previous one. Still no sleep, and 9800GT card fan running at full speed constantly (speed drops for acceptable noise levels with patched com.apple.boot.plist) Sleep still not working
  11. Replaced DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist with previous ones as everything working fine except sleep.

My Extra/Extensions folder contains the following:

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • ALC889a.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext

I have read conflicting posts on what does/does not work, so any advice or suggestions on getting sleep working would be much appreciated.

I have a EP35-DS3P - basically identical.. and had the same problems..

the solution is to set the stupid SL option of "Start up automatically after power failure" in the Energy saver options...

Then all works..

Found the solution buried in one of the many threads.. shoud be made a sticky...

I made a short thread.... with no replies..

I have a fully working 10.5.8 install on my GA-P35-DS3R and have tried Snow Leopard from a retail DVD using the following steps:

1. Use Disk Utility under 10.5.8 to create a single partition on another 500Gb hard drive, using GPT
  2. Install 10.6 by running OSInstall.mpkg from the DVD mounted on the 10.5.8 install
  3. Install Chameleon 2 RC2 r640 on the 10.6 drive ('snow' partition)
  4. Followed the Generic Retail Install Guide to access the hidden EFI partition, add the required boot file, kexts (see below) and change the UUID in AppleUUID.kext and PlatformUUID.kext to match the one from the snow partition
  5. boot the snow partition using -v -x32 flags. Appears working ok with no audio.
  6. Followed the guide by Aschar1 (post 388) to patch the dsdt.aml file and add ALC889a.kext to EFI/Extra/Extensions. rebooted, sound working.
  7. Patched the com.apple.boot.plist for 9800GT graphics and ethernet
  8. Tried sleep. System appears to sleep but waking reboots.
  9. Tried blackosx's method for regenerating extensions.mkext in extra/extensions. Sleep still not working.
  10. Tried Koalala’s ACPI Patcher to Build a DSDT.aml. Added the new dsdt to the EFI/Extra, removed patched com.apple.boot.plist(9800GT/ethernet) and replaced with previous one. Still no sleep, and 9800GT card fan running at full speed constantly (speed drops for acceptable noise levels with patched com.apple.boot.plist) Sleep still not working
  11. Replaced DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist with previous ones as everything working fine except sleep.

My Extra/Extensions folder contains the following:

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • ALC889a.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext

I have read conflicting posts on what does/does not work, so any advice or suggestions on getting sleep working would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, I should have remembered that as I had the same problem when updating to 10.5.6. I even wrote about it on my blog at basshead.wordpress.com/2008/12/24/updating-to-1056/

Ticked the 'Start up automatically after power failure' box and everything's working well. I see version 2 of iStat menu's has now been released which was the app that caused problems when I installed Snow Leopard on my Macbook, so I just installed it and am about to start importing my user account from the Leopard disk. Then off to write a SL guide for the blog. And try my other two hackintosh's.

Hi!

I know this is not related to the thread so much..but you wrote you have sound working

I have GA-P35-DS3R

and i've installed SL, it also boots into it..

could you please give the link for audio setup guide?

also, i've made a dsdt patch, but the partitions dont show up on desktop..only in finder, i think this has to do with vanilla kernel not being present. is there a fix to this?

thnx in advance!

Hi!

I know this is not related to the thread so much..but you wrote you have sound working

I have GA-P35-DS3R

and i've installed SL, it also boots into it..

could you please give the link for audio setup guide?

also, i've made a dsdt patch, but the partitions dont show up on desktop..only in finder, i think this has to do with vanilla kernel not being present. is there a fix to this?

thnx in advance!

Already given you the link, it's in step 6.

If the partitions are in the finder then they have mounted correctly. If they are not showing on the desktop look at the finder preferences to see if the option to show Hard drives on the desktop is selected. Other than that there's nothing else I can suggest, I've not seen this problem.

Sorry for offtopic,

I have the same board, and I want to try snow leopard, I curently have 10.5.6.

Which kext are you using? From some other thread or older ones from Leopard?

And did you installed 64 bit kernel or 32 bit?

Thanks

thank you for replying :)

weird enough, the link redirects me to InsanelyMac Forum>OSx86 Project>OSx86 Installation>OSx86 10.4 (Tiger)>need help real bad!, i cant burn the .iso image

:)

The link has been corrected, just in case there are any more problems with it the full URL is http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1229762

Sorry for offtopic,

I have the same board, and I want to try snow leopard, I curently have 10.5.6.

Which kext are you using? From some other thread or older ones from Leopard?

And did you installed 64 bit kernel or 32 bit?

Thanks

This is all covered in step 4. The Generic retail install guide includes most of the kexts I used, the only other one was for the 889a audio as mentioned in step 6.

I didn't choose a 32 or 64 bit kernel, I just did the install and looked to see what I ended up with. I believe System profiler says I have a 64 bit kernel and extentions, can't remember the exact phrasing as I'm at work now away from my hackintosh :o

@donmarconi

after sl install type this command in terminal

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

if it says EFI32 it means you're using x32 if it says EFI64 x64..

you can edit your com.apple.Boot.plist entering a command..i didn't need to do this..

you can look it up on this link at the end of the clip

http://www.youtube.com/user/osx86tutorials

I got a question: what if you don't have the options tab under the energy saver panel? I have seen many posts about this but never a definitive answer. I would think that my GA-EP45T-DS3R would give me the option since it is similar to your board, is there something cooky in the bios that I need to change?

I have a EP35-DS3P - basically identical.. and had the same problems..

the solution is to set the stupid SL option of "Start up automatically after power failure" in the Energy saver options...

Then all works..

Found the solution buried in one of the many threads.. shoud be made a sticky...

I made a short thread.... with no replies..

Haha, many thanks and will give it a try...

I got a question: what if you don't have the options tab under the energy saver panel? I have seen many posts about this but never a definitive answer. I would think that my GA-EP45T-DS3R would give me the option since it is similar to your board, is there something cooky in the bios that I need to change?

Strange. I also don't see that option in my "Energy Saver" panel.

• 2 weeks later...

hey there i have the same board P35 DS3R.

i use:

AHCIPortInjector

AppleRTC

Disabler

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

in a mkext in /E/E

still no sleep, even with sleepenabler

by entering sleep the screen is black and the fan still running

hey there i have the same board P35 DS3R.

i use:

AHCIPortInjector

AppleRTC

Disabler

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

in a mkext in /E/E

still no sleep, even with sleepenabler

by entering sleep the screen is black and the fan still running

I think you have too many kexts.

I have working sleep on the EP version of the board. Here is what I am using:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186570

I even can wake from sleep using a keyboard/mouse!

• 2 weeks later...

DSDT.aml.zipHey there everything is working very fine!!

im really amazed how well sl works /runs!

OpenAl is a really nice new way to get some extra power during math-processes!

my missing sleep was in dsdt with i edited the right way:

now 9800 gt is injected by dsdt

sleep is working (even with usb drives attached!)

sleep on powerbutton runs like a charm!

my mainboard is GA P35 ds3r 2.0

Bios is the actual newest one f13 i beleve

• 4 months later...
DSDT.aml.zipHey there everything is working very fine!!

im really amazed how well sl works /runs!

OpenAl is a really nice new way to get some extra power during math-processes!

my missing sleep was in dsdt with i edited the right way:

now 9800 gt is injected by dsdt

sleep is working (even with usb drives attached!)

sleep on powerbutton runs like a charm!

my mainboard is GA P35 ds3r 2.0

Bios is the actual newest one f13 i beleve

Have you automatic sleep with this dsdt ?

I tried it but

1) no auto sleep (i havent find any dsdt with auto sleep actually)

2)my internal hard drives showed as externals

thx!

Have you automatic sleep with this dsdt ?

I tried it but

1) no auto sleep (i havent find any dsdt with auto sleep actually)

2)my internal hard drives showed as externals

thx!

well auto sleep is something which changed from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 same issue here.

the internal harddrive you can solve with a proper kext for your chipset